Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts in London in 2020?

braveheartcolt

2 hours ago, ClayHeadColt_97 said:

Im quite fascinated by this, what is the general opinion in relation to moving games over to London? Would you prefer that they weren’t a thing?

As a fan based in England Id be all over the opportunity to watch the Colts over here. 

I'm ok with it is I get to go :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ClayHeadColt_97 said:

Im quite fascinated by this, what is the general opinion in relation to moving games over to London? Would you prefer that they weren’t a thing?

As a fan based in England Id be all over the opportunity to watch the Colts over here. 

I think it’s stupid. For one, it takes away a home game from local fans, you know the ones who’s taxes and taxes “rebates” helped to build these awesome stadiums. Secondly, to fly two teams overseas is also not an efficient thing. If they want a football team over there, create a franchise and do it the right way

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, csmopar said:

I think it’s stupid. For one, it takes away a home game from local fans, you know the ones who’s taxes and taxes “rebates” helped to build these awesome stadiums. Secondly, to fly two teams overseas is also not an efficient thing. If they want a football team over there, create a franchise and do it the right way

Let's add in all the hotels, bars, restaurants and shops that benefit from 70,000 fans descending on the city.

7 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Let's add in all the hotels, bars, restaurants and shops that benefit from 70,000 fans descending on the city.

And subtract that loss of revenue from that very same city that gave them all those tax dollars in anticipation of that revenue stream. At least for those games.

i have no problems with teams playing overseas. But just like Toronto plays in the NBA, set up a franchise there, call it done. But don’t take away from the long time loyal fan base & subsequent tax payers here.

14 minutes ago, csmopar said:

And subtract that loss of revenue from that very same city that gave them all those tax dollars in anticipation of that revenue stream. At least for those games.

i have no problems with teams playing overseas. But just like Toronto plays in the NBA, set up a franchise there, call it done. But don’t take away from the long time loyal fan base & subsequent tax payers here.

Teams in the league have revenue sharing  anyway.  I do think it’s dumb though to have games over there. 

As a European I like it, I went last time Colts played in London, and I will be there next time as well. You guys get to enjoy 7 home games, aren't we allowed to enjoy 1 ?

I know you dont give a % about us on the other side of the pond. But I am 4000 miles away.. and I just want an opportunity to flash my new Leornard jersey :)

Go Colts from Denmark

• Like 6

11 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Jags playing back to back home games in London. 3 teams already ruled out, and unlikely Houston will be back again so soon. So really a 50% chance. Queue moaning from the other side of the Atlantic........

Man I would love this! Please sweet baby jesus.

55 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

How about a swap? The week the Jags play in London, London’s  cricket team plays in Jacksonville’s stadium. All of that huge cricket $$$ coming in.

You mean like how there is talk of Premier League games being played in the States? 

True that even that league can’t compare with the draw of the London Cockneys CC. Average gates are over 100,000, and that’s even for the 10 day games. That’s what you call real tailgating.

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

You mean like how there is talk of Premier League games being played in the States? 

True that even that league can’t compare with the draw of the London Cockneys CC. Average gates are over 100,000, and that’s even for the 10 day games. That’s what you call real tailgating.

I really cannot see Premier League games being taken overseas, Every fan in england would be against it - that is where my query regarding the feeling of games being taken overseas came from.

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Teams in the league have revenue sharing  anyway.  I do think it’s dumb though to have games over there. 

i'm not referring to the team's revenue. I'm talking about the revenue their respective cities get from fans. 

12 hours ago, Robin said:

As a European I like it, I went last time Colts played in London, and I will be there next time as well. You guys get to enjoy 7 home games, aren't we allowed to enjoy 1 ?

I know you dont give a % about us on the other side of the pond. But I am 4000 miles away.. and I just want an opportunity to flash my new Leornard jersey :)

Go Colts from Denmark

1 I would be fine with, but taking multiple games away from home fans here in the States, who's local tax dollars funded most of these stadiums, that I have a problem with. 2 this year, guarantee, they go for 3 home games next year in London for the Jags. So the jags fans go from 8 home games to 6, then 5. then none. 

While I can understand a Jags' fan based in Florida being frustrated by this news, the team obviously feels this is the way they need to go in order to build their fanbase to allow the team to grow.  This has proven successful up until now and so, although 2 games does seem a step away from their US fanbase, they are obviously looking to try and monopolise the European (especially UK) fans to create the growth.

Hopefully people on here can see the level of interest from Europe in the Colts and can appreciate how much a visit to London will mean to people like me.  It continues to amaze me how many European (and elsewhere) Colts fans there are out there.

From a logical point of view, I doubt there can be a UK based franchise based on implications for playoffs if they made it and the likely difficulty they would ave recruiting quality free agents and retaining their own players.

Anyway, until the announcement is officially made, I am going to try and contain my excitement as I have been hurt before! :please:

2 hours ago, csmopar said:

1 I would be fine with, but taking multiple games away from home fans here in the States, who's local tax dollars funded most of these stadiums, that I have a problem with. 2 this year, guarantee, they go for 3 home games next year in London for the Jags. So the jags fans go from 8 home games to 6, then 5. then none. 

I dont think any team should play more than 1 game away from their own stadium.. Regarding the local tax, I think it will benefit the teams more then hurting them.. Getting big in the European market will boost the NFL revenue and boost the teams income.. I have 7 Jerseys and and a bunch of merchandise, Some may profit more than the Colts on these items, but its none the less money. Ive been to London, and I was in LA to watch the Colts first game next time I will be in Indianapolis and i'll drop some money they it all goes around.

Ive had gamepass for the last 13 years so I can watch the Colts.. This would never happend had if the NFL dident give a damn about the Europeans. 

look at Real Madrid. They a only 46 million spains, yet its one of the most valuable franchises in the world.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Do some research please on how these London games are benefiting the Jags and their town. Have your opinion for sure, but do not stumble around in the dark regarding the overall impact this London connection is having on Jacksonville.

The Jags and NFL make more money on a game played in London than in Jacksonville. That’s even after expenses. I don’t know if that would hold true for all other teams. That’s why Khan is willing to give up those home games. 

I find the London thing to be obnoxious on multiple levels. Tax payers in most NFL cities foot the bill for the wealthy owners to get a free or highly discounted stadium. It's a massive scam and serious black eye for the NFL if people know what they're looking at. So you've got the locals paying to have a franchise who's home 8 times a year and that franchise says.. we need MORE and the Brits who have no skin in the game get to host? It's absurd and if more people knew to be annoyed with it, beyond just simply using the national pride logic- it'd stop. Jacksonville should be angry with the arrangement if nothing else.

5 hours ago, Crush22 said:

I didn't see it mentioned, but not only is it 2 games.....it's 2 games back to back.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/02/04/jaguars-will-play-back-to-back-home-games-in-london-in-2020/

If you are going to play 2 games in London it makes sense to play them back to back - the second game would give you a big advantage of having already acclimatized to the time difference.  If we are playing the Jags in London, I hope it is the first game of the two so both teams are facing the same issues with travel, time zones etc.

• Like 1

I’d love to see the Colts play in the UK next season and I’d be in the stands 100%.

I don’t want a London franchise though. They won’t have any fans. Every NFL fan in the UK already has their own loyalties and their not going to drop them in favour of a new London team. And you just know that it’ll be called the Bulldogs or Kings or something equally as cringeworthy British as that.

On 2/4/2020 at 1:07 PM, braveheartcolt said:

Jags playing back to back home games in London. 3 teams already ruled out, and unlikely Houston will be back again so soon. So really a 50% chance. Queue moaning from the other side of the Atlantic........

I really really hope this does not happen because to loss a home game to for fill some wild idea to grow a fan base over seas in Europe. Its bad enough the Colts are not very good right now so let get embarrassed on over seas TV but on top of that my taxes help fund that dang stadium. If the Europeans wanna watch the NFL either stream, buy it or get a plane ticket. If they can come to Indy to see the 400 they can come to Indy to watch a football game.

7 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

I really really hope this does not happen because to loss a home game to for fill some wild idea to grow a fan base over seas in Europe. Its bad enough the Colts are not very good right now so let get embarrassed on over seas TV but on top of that my taxes help fund that dang stadium. If the Europeans wanna watch the NFL either stream, buy it or get a plane ticket. If they can come to Indy to see the 400 they can come to Indy to watch a football game.

Who said the Colts will lose a home game?  As the comment you quoted says, the Jags are playing two home games in London and of those 2 games we know it will be from one of 5 opponents, one of which is the Colts.  

As of this year, there have 28 games played in London and every single one has been sold out.  How many NFL teams have sold out their last 28 games, bearing in mind Wembley stadium seats around 84,000?  To describe this as some kind of nuisance downplays the level interest and money generated by those teams who see it as an opportunity.  

Plenty NFL fans in Europe, like myself, stream it, subscribe to Gamepass, buy a ton of merchandise and the appetite is here, so the league see the opportunity to grow the game via this.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, coltsva said:

Looks like Jags fans are livid with losing two home games,

To be fair, I can understand that.  To lose two games is a bit of a kick in the teeth for them and it certainly looks (from a neutral perspective) that this is the first steps in an attempt to move.

However, as I (and other UK fans have stated) I do not think this is the way to go.