Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Walterfootball assessment of Love

23 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I would say I would agree with the ones saying "athletic enough" and "can move around some"... "for a bigger QB", "not a statue" but that's not how you describe the Mahomes and Love's of the world. The athleticism and movement there are obvious and prime traits. I think it's a clearcut strength for them, and not for Eason. He can roll out of the pocket and make some plays, but I don't think it's a defining characteristic of his profile by any means. 

I actually like Eason better than a lot of people. I think he's my 5th QB and I really like the top 4. If he had a bit better pocket presence and didn't panic so much when faced with pressure I would have him right there with the Herbert's and Love's of the world. I thought he outplayed Herbert in their matchup even though Oregon won the game. I guess... Brissett has improved his pocket presence since 2017 so if we draft him I would hope it was this coaching staff that helped JB and they can do similar job with Eason. I actually think he can be a pretty good QB in the league, although I don't see the higher end ceiling with him that I see with someone like Love. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There was stuff going around when Eason transferred and had to sit a year he didn’t even learn the playbook. Now I don’t know if that is true but have seen that going around. If true he doesn’t have a very good work ethic.

I haven't heard this one. If true, that's not great... 

Do you have a source for that? Thanks. 

38 minutes ago, stitches said:

I would have to see if I could find one. It’s more just chatter that’s why I am not sure if I believe it. I have read a actual story his father installed a really good work ethic in him. My guess is maybe it’s just chatter because people didn’t think he played well enough and are just making it up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

While you have a point in a way, Love is no where near the level of prospect that Mahomes was, and players of this level of need in development don’t pan out just as often if not more often than they hit. Mahomes is a statistical outlier, comparing Love’s situation to him is insane

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Archer said:

They view him as a mid-round prospect.  Drew comparisons to Bortles and Christian Ponder.  What’s more, they claim that NFL personnel people they talked to think this...

http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Multiple-Teams-Grade-Jordan-Love-in-Mid-Rounds-of-the-2020-NFL-Draft

Blasphemous.  How dare u?!!?!??  We should  trade up and get him.  I am being sarcastic

7 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't know what to think of walterfootball, because they have some of the worst evaluations out there and then they try to justify them by trying to attach NFL sourcing to those(even in this one they attach to NFL sources evaluations that they have in their scouting that are complete and utter rubbish(accuracy) or banal and uninformative(turnovers... duh). But at the same time they sometimes strike gold with some inside reporting. It's all very weird... a very mixed bag. Also, keep in mind we are entering draft/smokescreen season so... I'd personally take with a grain of salt what teams say during draft season. 

Most of the evaluators that I respect most have him ranked as a clear R1 QB. I guess we will see in due time. 

However, if u listen to what Reich and Ballard value in a qb, Love does not appear to fit that mold. Just saying.

6 hours ago, Archer said:

Point well taken, but Mahomes had over a 3:1 TD to Int. ratio and 8.3 YPA over his career.  Love had 20:17, and was only HM All Mountain West this year.  There’s gotta be a better reason than roster turnover at Utah St. to explain those #s.  If he’s the #13 pick in the draft, he shoulda been a man among boys...

I think comparing Love to Mahommes is ludicrous and it has nothing to do with talent.  If u look at the way the Chiefs and Colts want to build their offences, they couldn't b farther apart in terms of philosophies.  Mahommes fits what the Chiefs do.  I really don't think Love is a fit for the Colts.

35 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

While you have a point in a way, Love is no where near the level of prospect that Mahomes was, and players of this level of need in development don’t pan out just as often if not more often than they hit. Mahomes is a statistical outlier, comparing Love’s situation to him is insane

Mahomes was in a air raid offense in college. A totally different offense then Love.  No one except KC really knew what Mahomes could be. 

Like stitches said no one is saying he is going to be as good as Mahomes. We are just looking at traits and he has some similarities as Mahomes.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Mahomes was in a air raid offense in college. A totally different offense then Love.  No one except KC really knew what Mahomes could be. 

Like stitches said no one is saying he is going to be as good as Mahomes. We are just looking at traits and he has some similarities as Mahomes.

To be fair, apparently Arians and Payton were very high on Mahomes too. That’s why the Chiefs jumped the Saints.

• Like 1

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

I think comparing Love to Mahommes is ludicrous and it has nothing to do with talent.  If u look at the way the Chiefs and Colts want to build their offences, they couldn't b farther apart in terms of philosophies.  Mahommes fits what the Chiefs do.  I really don't think Love is a fit for the Colts.

All we are saying is he has a similar throwing style and he is a natural thrower like Mahomes. Can throw from crazy angles and he has the same ability to extend plays. No one is saying he is going to be as good. 

In a interview Love talked about using RPO. We use a lot of RPO. He said he had the ability to change plays at the line of scrimmage. He had a very good running back in 2018 that just won a SB with the chiefs. So Utah state and TT didn’t run the same kind of offense. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

All we are saying is he has a similar throwing style and he is a natural thrower like Mahomes. Can throw from crazy angles and he has the same ability to extend plays. No one is saying he is going to be as good. 

In a interview Love talked about using RPO. We use a lot of RPO. He said he had the ability to change plays at the line of scrimmage. He had a very good running back in 2018 that just won a SB with the chiefs. So Utah state and TT didn’t run the same kind of offense. 

My point had nothing to do with how good or bad Love is going to b. Mahommes is an excellent fit for what Andy Reid wants to do.  I just don't think Love is a good fit for this offence.  I truly believe Reich wants a traditional qb with some mobility

6 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

My point had nothing to do with how good or bad Love is going to b. Mahommes is an excellent fit for what Andy Reid wants to do.  I just don't think Love is a good fit for this offence.  I truly believe Reich wants a traditional qb with some mobility

So you just ignored what I said about Reich liking to use RPO and love doing that in college. He also has worked with a good running back like we have on our team. 

I do admit though I think Herbert is actally a perfect fit. But Love has mentioned doing things at Utah state that the colts do.

Some of the Mahomes and Love comps and conversation is a bit strange. Both are mobile (gamer) type QBs that can throw from all angles. They both played in different Os though, but you can absolutely see similarities in style and arm talent.

I'm not saying Love will be as good as Mahomes at all. But not many fans thought Mahomes would be as good as Mahomes is. He was called a "system" QB a billion times, and many grades called KC's pick a reach. How many on this board predicted him going in the top 10. I'd say pretty close to none.

For those who haven't looked at film, do yourself a favor and look at 2018 film. Don't ignore the 2019, but at least take the time to look at his entire body of work. Had he not changed coaches and scheme, and lost 9 starters on O, he'd likely be considered differently. 

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

However, if u listen to what Reich and Ballard value in a qb, Love does not appear to fit that mold. Just saying.

Actually he does. Kevin Bowen just posted a story about what they value. One of the things was being able to extend plays with his legs. Accuracy for Love was slightly down this year but he was close to 65% last year and that is right where you want it. It also talks about being able to check into plays at the LOS which Love has said he did at Utah state. Here is the story.

9 hours ago, Archer said:

They view him as a mid-round prospect.  Drew comparisons to Bortles and Christian Ponder.  What’s more, they claim that NFL personnel people they talked to think this...

http://walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/Multiple-Teams-Grade-Jordan-Love-in-Mid-Rounds-of-the-2020-NFL-Draft

lol i had to double look at the title because i thought it said water football .com :lol:

Haha. I’m tired of Jordan Love already.  If we draft him, I’m going to need a few weeks before I can pull for him.

Please let there be a mystery QB appear , have a one of a kind solo pro day in a small town in Louisiana and we draft him in the 5th round after Ballard goes heavy on defense in the draft. He turns out to be Peytons 3rd cousin but smarter. 

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

No one is saying he will be as good. Just watching tape you can see the simularities- The throwing angles and how effortless he throws the ball. 

From what I've seen, when Love tries to play like Mahomes it usually doesn't end well.  Love's highlights are nothing like Mahomes' college highlights.  Practically every Love highlight is a quick rhythm pass from the pocket.   Now if you watch game film, Love does at times try certain things on the run and from different arm angles, but I haven't seen him have much success with it.  He appears to be much more successful with quick rhythm throws from the pocket.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Mahomes is a good fit for what any coach in the nfl wants to do and that's win. You think Riech would turn him down because Mahomes  wouldn't fit his scheme? 

49 minutes ago, #12. said:

From what I've seen, when Love tries to play like Mahomes it usually doesn't end well.  Love's highlights are nothing like Mahomes' college highlights.  Practically every Love highlight is a quick rhythm pass from the pocket.   Now if you watch game film, Love does at times try certain things on the run and from different arm angles, but I haven't seen him have much success with it.  He appears to be much more successful with quick rhythm throws from the pocket.

You obviously haven't watched much film of him. 

11 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

You obviously haven't watched much film of him. 

I have and it depends, he's really, really good when he scrambles to his right and throws right.  But too many times he scrambles to his right and then tries to throw left and he is really bad when he scrambles to his left.

46 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I have and it depends, he's really, really good when he scrambles to his right and throws right.  But too many times he scrambles to his right and then tries to throw left and he is really bad when he scrambles to his left.

Scrambling to the left being harder for right handed QBs is kind of normal because they have to throw across their bodies and it's much harder to square up for a throw while moving to the left, but still:

(0:48)

But I agree, he's better rolling to his right. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I read a stat Love was only sacked once on every 43 dropbacks. . Burrow was sacked once in every 16 dropbacks. That is pretty impressive for Love.

Love has great pocket presence. He gets sacked on only 10% of the pressures his Oline allows, which is elite stat. 

• Like 1

I think WF probably looks at QBs with a bit more eye to the pocket passing skill set. 

I only really know Love by what I read, and most if the descriptions can't get past a sentence before the word "Mahomes" gets used.  And what's worse, that is the word Love described his approach to the game; that it was in fact, a difference as to how he approached the game from 2018 to 2019.  Emulate Mahomes.

That reminds me of when I was 12, and pretended to be Joe Montana in my back yard.  I dodged, ducked, ran, and chucked the ball downfield, then cheer, like I just made a lucky half court basketball shot at the buzzer.

Except with Love, it resulted in 16 interceptions against even bad secondaries in 2019.

Just wish the descriptions of QBs would be a little more NFL skill based than Mahomes based.

I like Love's back shoulder throw accuracy a lot. It will come in handy against good press coverage. He did one in the Senior Bowl too to Denzel Mims that dropped it. 

I am sure his lack of competition will be his biggest knock and his white board interviews and questions will either cement him as a Top 10 pick or push him to the back of the 1st round to 2nd round, IMO.

56 minutes ago, stitches said:

Scrambling to the left being harder for right handed QBs is kind of normal because they have to throw across their bodies and it's much harder to square up for a throw while moving to the left, but still:

(0:48)

But I agree, he's better rolling to his right. 

I know the reasons it's harder but thanks.  And sorry, a few highlights of him doing it well do not negate all the times he did it poorly.

16 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Walterfootball is comparing Love to Bortles and Ponder? That is :yuk:, those guys stink.

I see alot more Bortles or a poor mans Winston than Mahomes. 

While all have amazing highlight reels all have the same issues with accuracy and reading defenses that show up on tape . 

41 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I know the reasons it's harder but thanks.  And sorry, a few highlights of him doing it well do not negate all the times he did it poorly.

I mean... scrambling/rolling to the left for right handed QBs doesn't happen a ton as a whole and these are just highlights I could think of. I don't have his stats in such situations so this is purely off memory - I personally haven't noticed him being particularly bad in those. At least not worse than what you would expect from QBs throwing while moving to their off hand side. But I will keep it in mind next time I'm going through the QBs film. It might be just something I've missed. :dunno:

While watching him I thought he had a weird footwork/mechanical hiccup throwing to the left where sometimes he would throw off his back foot(not step into the throw) even when he didn't have to and this would result in underthrown balls, but this is a thing I noticed for him while throwing from the pocket, not on the move. 

• Like 1

On 2/4/2020 at 4:38 PM, stitches said:

It's not a great source, but the first I heard it was here.  Take his sources with a grain of salt, but the logic is sound to me.  

I don't know how I found the guy, honestly.  I think I was searching film review/scouting reports (which are fairly rare in early January) the QBs for this draft class and came across his channel.  Watched some of his other vids and when he talks about what he sees on the field, he comes across as pretty knowledgeable.  He's also fair in that he'll acknowledge that he's reaching in his conclusion or that he's being speculative.   

So if anything, it's just another opinion that at least for now, I feel is genuine and not just repeating the same things other people are saying.  My two cents. 

• Thanks 1