Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Reminder: We beat the Chiefs this year.

Imgrandojji

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly don't think anyone is blinded by it or thinks JB was the main reason why we won the game - he obviously wasn't. It just cracks me up that some Colts fans are making excuses for the Chiefs is to why we beat them. It would be 1 thing if Mahomes didn't play and we beat a back up QB but he did hobbled or not. He still played and they were 11 point favorites on top of it at home. It was a great win no matter how anyone wants to spin it and JB was the game winning QB, facts are facts. 

And Glowinski was the game winning RG! 

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

And Glowinski was the game winning RG! 

Yeah and Pat Mahomes was the losing QB, Andy Reid was the losing Coach, and Travis Kelce was the losing TE. The point of the thread is we beat the team that won the SB which was pretty cool because nobody picked us. I thought it was a good memory to have, for some I guess not.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Yeah and Pat Mahomes was the losing QB, Andy Reid was the losing Coach, and Travis Kelce was the losing TE. The point of the thread is we beat the team that won the SB which was pretty cool because nobody picked us. I thought it was a good memory to have, for some I guess not.

A win is always a better memory than a loss. 

It was a great win and probably the highlight of the season for many fans.  There are always reasons why a team wins or loses.  The game was played at Arrowhead and the Colts when there and won the game.  

I don't think it means this current team can make the playoffs with JB at the helm, but it was a good win.  Perhaps it says more about the dreadful season as a whole when there is a thread about a game 4 months ago that the Colts won. 

Anyone gonna start one of these threads:

Reminder: We lost to the Raiders

Reminder: We lost to the Steelers

Reminder: We lost to the Buccaneers

Reminder: We lost to the Jaguars

• Like 1

Pm could not run and his throws were off too due to that injury.  it was an exciting game but we played them at the right time

Colts are probably the third most talented team in our division and more likely to end up 4th next year than first 

17 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I really have no idea why some are poo pooing this win using Chiefs injuries as an excuse. Mahomes played the whole game and was slingin it around in the 1st half healthy as could be. They still couldn't pull away from us and they had Kelce as well. He was hobbled in the 2nd half but still played so his presence was out there. That was our best win of the year by far. Vegas had us 11 point underdogs so apparently they overlooked the Chiefs other injuries. Why don't people chime in and say we would've beat the Steelers had JB not got injured and if TY would've played. JB and TY were both out vs the Dolphins as well. I can use the excuse game all day too for us and that was 2 critical losses we had.

If you read my first post closely, I mentioned that we successfully played keep away.  We held the ball.  We converted first downs.  Kept KCs O to limited possessions.  It was a great game plan by Reich.

Even then, it took a great play by our backup JAG FS who replaced our starting JAG FS to cause a turnover by stripping the ball from a RB on a screen pass (not ball hawking a deep pass that KC never threw anyway) to keep KC from getting into scoring position late in the game.

Playing keep away means your O does not automatically look for chunk plays, increasing the risk of giving the ball to KC via turnover or 3 and out.  JB was in his zone then, and was accurate with the short passes, so the keep away strategy worked.

If someone wants to look at that game to say that we are better than 7 and 9, they would have to look at how accurate from the pocket our QB was the rest of the year....and how accurate from the pocket our QB will be next year....to then assess whether or not we can limit the amount of possessions another team's high powered offense can have.  That's why we won at KC under the conditions that we and they played.  Is that repeatable or not, given the assumption that both teams are at full strength? 

The chances are poor, IMO. 

15 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Right when this thread was made I already guessed several people would poo poo this win, and I guessed right. Some Colts fans can never be happy lmao .

I am not unhappy...more ambivalent than anything. It was a great win.

But the OP is notorious for making pro-JB posts. Had it been any other poster...I don’t make that comment.

3 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

Glad i looked first.

u beat me to it.

That can be 2020’s motto.... “well, we did beat  the Chiefs last year.” 

Let’s hope it’s not the epitaph of this current era...”well the Colts did beat the Chiefs that one time”

23 hours ago, DougDew said:

Well, if you want to put it like that, what's the point of the thread?  We were 7 and 9 but beat the SB champions.  It was one win in a 7 win season.

I assume the thread was started to make some relevant point?  If its about personnel, my point was very good.

You can't look at that game and conclude that we are close.  KC didn't have their stars and we did, our oline.  They replaced their stars with JAGS, and we replaced our JAGS with JAGS.  Big difference.

That point is as relevant as the thread being started in the first place.

If you read the original post you would see the point.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, shastamasta said:

If I had to guess...the underlying point of this thread is to imply that because a JB-led Colts team beat the Super Bowl champs...a JB-led Colts team can win at the highest level.

And to guess a bit more...I bet the OP had a “JB = Jimmy G“ post geared to go when SF won...but SF lost...so this post was the backup.

Or maybe is was nothing more than the original poster said:

"I'm not sure if there's a point to this thread, other than to remember that it happened and that when we were playing as a unit and the injuries hadn't piled up on us yet, we managed to hand a rare L to the current Champs. 

I guess I just want to point this out as evidence that this team was better than its end of season record."

Why would you try to guess at what the OP thought or meant?  Why not just take what was said at face value?

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

If you read the original post you would see the point.

I did see the point.  It was this....

I guess I just want to point this out as evidence that this team was better than its end of season record."

No, it was not evidence that we were better than our end of season record, for the reasons I noted.

In fact, if you looked at how we played during the last half of the season when other teams figured out our new QB and assuming our gimpy #1WR stays injury prone, I'd say 2 and 7 shows that its just as likely that we were actually worse than our season record. 

Needing a new QB, new Dline, new WRs, and new TE; and after taking three swings at it with three high draft picks and possibly still needing a #1 playmaker in the secondary; suggests we aren't that far away from total rebuild mode.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gspdx said:

they had a good running game, but even that was outside the top 5

30th in passing, middle of the pack defense(being generous).  looks like a 7-9 team to me thats behind the titans and texans talent wise 

On 2/4/2020 at 12:50 PM, ClaytonColt said:

It's like people don't understand variance

If we played the Chiefs 15 times they'd probably win 14 and we'd win once.

Just because the once happened to occur this time around it doesn't mean anything more that shocks sometimes happen.

You can't explain logic to Colts Fans. They're still wishing for Luck returning from retirement, and somehow this is the best thing that could happen to this franchise.

Reminds me of an old QB named Bret Favor lol

12 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i cant agree with that, not when PM is an mvp caliber player

they just are not the same when he cant run or throw accurately.  

Thats part of what you get with him.  Or Jackson.  They are one play away from getting blown up.  Mahomes missed games this year because of his style.  I think he’ll learn.  Hopefully he doesnt experience too many injuries before he does.

16 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i cant agree with that, not when PM is an mvp caliber player

they just are not the same when he cant run or throw accurately.  

I also think its funny that Mahomes “injury” is a valid excuse for their loss, but JB’s “knee thing” suffered against Pitt was “no excuse” for many.

And i thought we were far more decimated “injury-wise” going into that game than KC was.  I really thought we had no chance.

I give Mahomes NO sympathy for his “state” in that game.  We had issues too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, WoolMagnet said:

I also think its funny that Mahomes “injury” is a valid excuse for their loss, but JB’s “knee thing” suffered against Pitt was “no excuse” for many.

the difference is Mahomes is an mvp and JB cant even average 200 per game when healthy

Jacobys injury didnt change much imo, he was never that good

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I did see the point.  It was this....

No, it was not evidence that we were better than our end of season record, for the reasons I noted.

In fact, if you looked at how we played during the last half of the season when other teams figured out our new QB and assuming our gimpy #1WR stays injury prone, I'd say 2 and 7 shows that its just as likely that we were actually worse than our season record. 

Needing a new QB, new Dline, new WRs, and new TE; and after taking three swings at it with three high draft picks and possibly still needing a #1 playmaker in the secondary; suggests we aren't that far away from total rebuild mode.

OK - but that isn't the way you made your statement.  Like you didn't know what the point of the thread was.  It was kind of your typical snarky response like you are so much smarter than everyone else.  It really gets tiring.

I agree with some of your points but not all.  We could have easily been 9-7 rather than 7-9.  Not much different, but better.  And if we hadn't had all of the injuries to the receivers we could have been much more effective on offense.  

Do I feel like this team is close to winning a Superbowl?  No.  Did this team - with lots of injuries - beat the Chiefs with lots of injuries?  Yes. 

26 minutes ago, gspdx said:

OK - but that isn't the way you made your statement.  Like you didn't know what the point of the thread was.  It was kind of your typical snarky response like you are so much smarter than everyone else.  It really gets tiring.

I agree with some of your points but not all.  We could have easily been 9-7 rather than 7-9.  Not much different, but better.  And if we hadn't had all of the injuries to the receivers we could have been much more effective on offense.  

Do I feel like this team is close to winning a Superbowl?  No.  Did this team - with lots of injuries - beat the Chiefs with lots of injuries?  Yes. 

You got into the middle of a back and forth started by another member, LCF, who claimed, rather snarkily, that my point was not relevant.  I guess you didn't follow the context in which I made my statement.

52 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

the difference is Mahomes is an mvp and JB cant even average 200 per game when healthy

Jacobys injury didnt change much imo, he was never that good

With the mvp logic, it would affect JBs Overall game More.

kinda like my golfgame.  When i have an off-day, i still beat my comrades because of our starting “gap.”  I dont give strokes, if you suck, take up bowling.  Handicaps are for girls.

Injuries are injuries and affect their teams regardless of mvp or not.  Im not buying that argument.

8 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

With the mvp logic, it would affect JBs Overall game More.

kinda like my golfgame.  When i have an off-day, i still beat my comrades because of our starting “gap.”  I dont give strokes, if you suck, take up bowling.  Handicaps are for girls.

Injuries are injuries and affect their teams regardless of mvp or not.  Im not buying that argument.

To the bolded..... It's like if you just look at the QB performances in the game, Mahomes clearly outplayed JB even with his injury. He had a better QBR, better passer rating, more than double the yards, 1/0 TD-INT (vs 0/1 for JB). 

Saying JB was the winning QB is kind of like handicapping.... The team won, but his contribution was a very small one.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

To the bolded..... It's like if you just look at the QB performances in the game, Mahomes clearly outplayed JB even with his injury. He had a better QBR, better passer rating, more than double the yards, 1/0 TD-INT (vs 0/1 for JB). 

Saying JB was the winning QB is kind of like handicapping.... The team won, but his contribution was a very small one.

All most people remember is who the winning QB and Coach are though. It has always been like that. That is all the media and most fans care about. Does anyone care Tannehill threw for 88 yards at Baltimore (Divisional Round), answer is NO because they won the game. That is what I keep trying to explain to people in here. Jackson put up over 500 yards of offense and all you heard the next day on ESPN and the NFL Channel was he lost (can't win in the playoffs) and Tannehill won. 

16 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

All most people remember is who the winning QB and Coach are though. It has always been like that. That is all the media and most fans care about. Does anyone care Tannehill threw for 88 yards at Baltimore (Divisional Round), answer is NO because they won the game. That is what I keep trying to explain to people in here. Jackson put up over 500 yards of offense and all you heard the next day on ESPN and the NFL Channel was he lost (can't win in the playoffs) and Tannehill won. 

I know you want Ws to matter more than performance when it comes to QB, but that's just not reality. It may be indeed what some people "remember", but a terrible game in a W is still a terrible game to coaches and those in the FO grading the player. It's why Mahomes in a loss to Indy wasn't questioned, and why JB was questioned by many even in his 5-2 start. You say "most", but a very good portion of folks questioned him all year when he had less than good games. Not saying they were anti JB all year, but they certainly weren't all in. 

I watch(ed) ESPN and the NFLC quite a bit, and I don't recall everything being about Jackson not being able to win in the playoffs. He's only been in the league 2 years now, so that would be really dumb being that he's taken his team to the playoffs in his first two years. He was also the unanimous MVP lol... And that was voted on after his playoff loss. Also, nobody is questioning his position with the Ravens.

People certainly remember Ws more than individual performances, but fans that follow the team closely are not blind to the bad that occurs underneath the surface of Ws.

3 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I know you want Ws to matter more than performance when it comes to QB, but that's just not reality. It may be indeed what some people "remember", but a terrible game in a W is still a terrible game to coaches and those in the FO grading the player. It's why Mahomes in a loss to Indy wasn't questioned, and why JB was questioned by many even in his 5-2 start. You say "most", but a very good portion of folks questioned him all year when he had less than good games. Not saying they were anti JB all year, but they certainly weren't all in. 

I watch(ed) ESPN and the NFLC quite a bit, and I don't recall everything being about Jackson not being able to win in the playoffs. He's only been in the league 2 years now, so that would be really dumb being that he's taken his team to the playoffs in his first two years. He was also the unanimous MVP lol... And that was voted on after his playoff loss. Also, nobody is questioning his position with the Ravens.

People certainly remember Ws more than individual performances, but fans that follow the team closely are not blind to the bad that occurs underneath the surface of Ws.

After the Ravens lost that game, all day long a lot of the media questioned Jackson's ability to be able to get it done in the playoffs because of last years loss as well. I would rather have a QB throw for 3000 yards, 25 TD's, 7 INT's and go 10-6 making the playoffs, then have a QB that throws for 4500 yards, 40 TD's, and 14 INT's but finishes 8-8. To me wins are the most important thing but I have always said that. Doesn't mean I think that stat means 1 QB is better than the other, it doesn't but that is all most people remember in reality. I remember 1 year Drew Brees threw for 5000 yards but nobody cared because his team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:35 AM, Imgrandojji said:

We even sent them into a bit of a tail spin after we got to Mahomes a couple times and made him limp.

Granted they were missing Kareem Hunt, but it still happened.

I'm not sure if there's a point to this thread, other than to remember that it happened and that when we were playing as a unit and the injuries hadn't piled up on us yet, we managed to hand a rare L to the current Champs. 

I guess I just want to point this out as evidence that this team was better than its end of season record.

The win over K.C. was the high point of their season.  The loss to the Dolphins was an equally significant low point.  At the end, they were a 7-9 football team.  Water finds it's level over time. 

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

After the Ravens lost that game, all day long a lot of the media questioned Jackson's ability to be able to get it done in the playoffs because of last years loss as well. I would rather have a QB throw for 3000 yards, 25 TD's, 7 INT's and go 10-6 making the playoffs, then have a QB that throws for 4500 yards, 40 TD's, and 14 INT's but finishes 8-8. To me wins are the most important thing but I have always said that. Doesn't mean I think that stat means 1 QB is better than the other, it doesn't but that is all most people remember in reality. I remember 1 year Drew Brees threw for 5000 yards but nobody cared because his team went 8-8 and missed the playoffs.

It was 2008 when Brees done that. 

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I'd prefer to simply improve the QB situation, because it should mean we win more....

On 2/4/2020 at 10:29 AM, Valpo2004 said:

I disagree, those players matter and Hooker is a good safety.

The difference is that the Colts still had all their OL and their RB which was their offensive strength.  The Chiefs where a 1 trick pony with their passing game but the injuries prevented them from doing that trick.  

Chiefs are a great team, deservedly world champs with their top receivers and a healthy QB.  But they are flat out terrible without them.  Texans beat them the very next week for the same reason.  

My counter argument is that we lost to the Dolphins and we were  at home I believe.  

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Im NOT saying JB played better.

I’m saying Mahomes can have a “bad day” and still out-play many QBs  on a good day.  Luck and Manning could too.  They could play bad all day, then Seemingly flip a switch when needed most.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WoolMagnet said:

Im NOT saying JB played better.

I’m saying Mahomes can have a “bad day” and still out-play many QBs  on a good day.  Luck and Manning could too.  They could play bad all day, then Seemingly flip a switch when needed most.  

I know. I was agreeing with your golf analogy. 

On 2/4/2020 at 8:35 PM, shastamasta said:

If I had to guess...the underlying point of this thread is to imply that because a JB-led Colts team beat the Super Bowl champs...a JB-led Colts team can win at the highest level.

And to guess a bit more...I bet the OP had a “JB = Jimmy G“ post geared to go when SF won...but SF lost...so this post was the backup.

You're not a good guesser.

The point of this thread is to note the win as an interesting bit of trivia that's maybe worth a bit of optimism.

Frankly, JB did not play that well in this win.  He didn't play awful but it was a low scoring game that was dictated mostly by the defense.

I do love the conspiracy theory though.  A+ for effort.

And for the record, Brissett is nowhere near the natural thrower Jimmy G is.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2020 at 9:43 AM, Imgrandojji said:

You're not a good guesser.

The point of this thread is to note the win as an interesting bit of trivia that's maybe worth a bit of optimism.

Frankly, JB did not play that well in this win.  He didn't play awful but it was a low scoring game that was dictated mostly by the defense.

I do love the conspiracy theory though.  A+ for effort.

And for the record, Brissett is nowhere near the natural thrower Jimmy G is.

JB (as a passer) was in fact awful that game...it was his lowest passer rating of the season. 

And regarding conspiracies...why did you change your name to BleedBlueShoe or whatever.