Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Would You Accept This Offense for 2020

I want to see what you guys think about this.  I would love to see the Offense setup like this:

Bold is Starter and Italic is FA/Drafted Player

QB:  Jacoby Brissett, Chad Kelly, Rookie QB(Anthony Gordon, Jalen Hurts)

**I assume that Jacoby can apply that work ethic that he learned from Luck and Brady and improve to be the QB that we need in this system.  We have Kelly if we need to make a move off of JB and we draft a young mid round qb to develop or flip ( I have us taking Kinlaw at 13)**

RB:  Marlon Mack, Nyhiem Hines, Jordan Wilkins

**Love Mack coming back and healthy.  Really excited to see what Hines can do with more touches.  I think he will be something similar to Darren Sproles at the Eagles/Chargers.  Wilkins is a hard runner and very reliable**

WR:  TY Hilton, Parris Campbell, Jalen Reagor, Daurice Fountain, Chase Claypool, Antonio Gandy Golden

**Get TY back and get him healthy.  He reported at the Superbowl that he was already 100% and ready to go.  You get Parris healthy and he becomes your Debo Samuels like player.  Reagor gets picked to be groomed as the next TY.  Fountain is amazing and a big body and showed flashes last year before getting hurt.  Love the two other rookies on here.  Gandy Golden is big and fast.  Claypool is one of my favorite receivers.  Big bodies WR that can be a great redzone threat**

TE:  Jack Doyle, Mo Allie Cox, Jared Pinkney

** Nothing more to say here.  Doyle is so reliable.  Cox is huge and could be a great mismatch.  Pinkney is my favorite TE coming out.  I live in Nashville and watched him in person and he is legit.

THOUGHTS/QUESTIONS/CONCERNS???  WOULD YOU TAKE IT???

• Like 5

Love the receiver selections. I think Reagor is criminally underrated (he’s my WR4), and I think Claypool has all the tools to be a teams WR1 if he runs ok at the combine. Gandy-Golden is a great prospect and I think that if he can work on the nuances he’ll be a really good backup or even a WR3. I like the idea of waiting for a QB, and think Brissett could show improvement with a better cast. Pinkney is a very interesting option at TE, but I do like him as well. Overall, if this was the group for next year, I would be extremely happy!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, stitches said:

No matter how many WRs you add, it's pointless when Brissett won't throw to them or throws it 5 yards over their heads. (I like your choice of receivers, BTW)

Pinkney is not good. I'd rather have about 10 other TEs than him. 

Thanks on the Wideouts.  I don't want to derail this with JB talk but I did have a rookie QB listed on the roster.  I am really open to anything.  Would it change your mind if I slotted that spot for Jordan Love, Jacob Eason?  The ones have listed are the ones that I like alot, in the later rounds.

Also, why don't you like Pinkney?  He has 1st round talent and suffered from a horrible QB situation at Vandy this year.

3 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Thanks on the Wideouts.  I don't want to derail this with JB talk but I did have a rookie QB listed on the roster.  I am really open to anything.  Would it change your mind if I slotted that spot for Jordan Love, Jacob Eason?  The ones have listed are the ones that I like alot, in the later rounds.

Also, why don't you like Pinkney?  He has 1st round talent and suffered from a horrible QB situation at Vandy this year.

He didn't just suffer from bad QB. He regressed. He was dropping balls, he was not getting open, etc. Just put on the Senior Bowl practices. He got shut down by mediocre DB group in drills that are supposed to favor the offensive player. In fact, I actually think Chase Claypool might be better TE-conversion project than Pinkney. 

You know my feelings about Love so... :P

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, stitches said:

He didn't just suffer from bad QB. He regressed. He was dropping balls, he was not getting open, etc. Just put on the Senior Bowl practices. He got shut down by mediocre DB group in drills that are supposed to favor the offensive player. In fact, I actually think Chase Claypool might be better TE-conversion project than Pinkney. 

You know my feelings about Love so... :P

You won't be thinking that when Claypool runs in the 4.5 range at 6'4" and 229 lbs with an 80" wingspan at the combine.  He is going to be a weapon of a WR in the NFL.

Agree on Pinkney though.

Wow, revisiting this thread, all it really managed to do was bring out all the people who don't realize that another season with Brissett and building talent and depth elsewhere could be best for the team. So long as we can get talented players in the draft, I'll be happy, but I'm afraid at this point that many people on here would melt down if we don't grab a QB in round 1... I'll say it again though, I do kinda like the idea of this Offense.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Wow, revisiting this thread, all it really managed to do was bring out all the people who don't realize that another season with Brissett and building talent and depth elsewhere could be best for the team. So long as we can get talented players in the draft, I'll be happy, but I'm afraid at this point that many people on here would melt down if we don't grab a QB in round 1... I'll say it again though, I do kinda like the idea of this Offense.

Yep, nothing changes.

i understand the wanting of the next Manning, But some seem to think they grow on trees.

Its looking to me like the QBs that will be available at #13 do not line up well from a bpa angle.  This Somewhat  

makes them reaches at #13 , and therefore makes them even bigger risks from a draft-value perspective.

Im ok with whatever happens, but if youdont think you found the future franchise, you dont take a QB at #13 justbecause you dont like the one you have.

Both sides of this “argument” wants to improve the QB position.  It just needs to be done intelligently snd responsibly as not to hurt or  unnecessarily risk the overall strength of the roster.

QB or not.... reaching will get you in the end.  And at #13,  That might be the case.

We shall see.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

16 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I want to see what you guys think about this.  I would love to see the Offense setup like this:

Bold is Starter and Italic is FA/Drafted Player

QB:  Jacoby Brissett, Chad Kelly, Rookie QB(Anthony Gordon, Jalen Hurts)

**I assume that Jacoby can apply that work ethic that he learned from Luck and Brady and improve to be the QB that we need in this system.  We have Kelly if we need to make a move off of JB and we draft a young mid round qb to develop or flip ( I have us taking Kinlaw at 13)**

RB:  Marlon Mack, Nyhiem Hines, Jordan Wilkins

**Love Mack coming back and healthy.  Really excited to see what Hines can do with more touches.  I think he will be something similar to Darren Sproles at the Eagles/Chargers.  Wilkins is a hard runner and very reliable**

WR:  TY Hilton, Parris Campbell, Jalen Reagor, Daurice Fountain, Chase Claypool, Antonio Gandy Golden

**Get TY back and get him healthy.  He reported at the Superbowl that he was already 100% and ready to go.  You get Parris healthy and he becomes your Debo Samuels like player.  Reagor gets picked to be groomed as the next TY.  Fountain is amazing and a big body and showed flashes last year before getting hurt.  Love the two other rookies on here.  Gandy Golden is big and fast.  Claypool is one of my favorite receivers.  Big bodies WR that can be a great redzone threat**

TE:  Jack Doyle, Mo Allie Cox, Jared Pinkney

** Nothing more to say here.  Doyle is so reliable.  Cox is huge and could be a great mismatch.  Pinkney is my favorite TE coming out.  I live in Nashville and watched him in person and he is legit.

THOUGHTS/QUESTIONS/CONCERNS???  WOULD YOU TAKE IT???

Wouldn't work for me. First, I'd need one of Dalton/Carr/Herbert/Love on this team to compete with Brissett for the starting job. Drafting Hurts or Gordon means we are content missing the playoffs next season, and there are no guarantees on the QB class in next years draft.

Second, Mack needs a running mate. I'd suggest JK Dobbins or Cam Akers. That'd give us a nice one-two punch at rb, protect us a bit against injury, and we can use Hines on passing downs.

Third, I like your receivers. Take out Reagor, keep Claypool and Gandy-Golden, and re-sign Funchess. That would give us an elite group of receivers going into 2020.

Fourth, draft Harrison Bryant instead of Pickney. The kid's receiving grades were off the charts in college according to PFF, and he might be my favorite TE in this years draft. His receiving skills would mesh well with Doyle's blocking and can replace Ebron. We should be able to get him in rounds 3 or 4.

That would be my idea of a realistic and acceptable offense for the 2020 season.

11 hours ago, Myles said:

Most look good, but Brissett hasn't improved since his college years.   I have no faith in him.  

I'm also good with the RB crew although I'd love for the Colts to incorporate a fullback.  

Look at AJ Dillon RB from Boston College he is a big back 250# and fast, he could be a perfect hybrid back plus he can catch and block really well

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

So you would be OK with an 8-8 season?    I'm wanting improvement at the QB position.  Whether it is from the draft, a free agent, a trade or at least open competition in training camp.  I do not want to go 8-8.   

19 minutes ago, Myles said:

So you would be OK with an 8-8 season?    I'm wanting improvement at the QB position.  Whether it is from the draft, a free agent, a trade or at least open competition in training camp.  I do not want to go 8-8.   

I would not. Everyone talks about improving the quarterback position this possession but no one seems to want to admit that it is possible JB could improve. I also think that given competition, he will and we will be a 10 win team next year. 

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I think if we can improve our weapons on offense and add some defensive pieces, we won’t be going 8-8 regardless. Should Brissett improve, then there you have it. If not, we will go 9-7 or 10-6 at worst, IMO, and can get a QB in the better class next year. Even if we somehow do go 8-8, so long as we show progress at the other positions I’ll be happy. I’d rather Fill the Holes and then get a QB rather than get a QB and be unable to do so as we are picking in the mid-late 20s

Brissett has the same flaws as he did coming out of college.  

Struggles with deep ball accuracy completing just 23.1 percent on attempts of 21-plus yards. Had several overthrows when tasked with deep throws down sideline versus man coverage. Failed to recognize receivers running wide open down the seam. Gets locked in on a pre­-snap plan and has issues altering his itinerary quickly.

He is the same QB as he was then.  He's 27 years old.   This will be his 5th year in the league and 3rd as a starter.   At some point, you have to accept that he is not going to change.  We'll be around 8-8 next season with him as the starter.   He has a playing style that leads to close games.  If the games are close, we will win half of them.  Maybe 1 more maybe 1 less.  

If he is the starter this next season, I will root for him and hope I am wrong.  I won't hope he fails.   By all accounts, he is a good guy and I hope he succeeds.   

I won't be surprised with a 7-9 win total again, though.  

• Like 2

I like Jaelen and Chase. Don’t very much like Pinkney. 

There’s all this talk of JB improving, which honestly, would be hard not to do after how poorly he ended the season.

Still doesn’t mean he should be given the starting job long term if he shows improvement. Unless it’s by leaps and bounds, and at this point, not really expecting a 27 year old QB to do that.

It’s interesting how many people hate Brissett now but didn’t say anything at all before he got injured...

I like this draft and could see Ballard bringing in a 2nd Round QB to compete with Brissett. Fromm seems like the right fit in this scenario. Leader, productive, high IQ, big game experience, etc. 

12 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

It’s interesting how many people hate Brissett now but didn’t say anything at all before he got injured...

I like this draft and could see Ballard bringing in a 2nd Round QB to compete with Brissett. Fromm seems like the right fit in this scenario. Leader, productive, high IQ, big game experience, etc. 

There were plenty of people talking about/critiquing his play before the injury. I mean, the JB impressions threads are proof of that.

But just so I’m not detailing the thread too much. I think JB’s likely the starter next year, so I guess I’d technically be okay with this offense. Not that it’d be much fun too watch. And I think it’d be a tough year for this rookie WR’s.

I am not saying he won’t improve, I just have a hard time throwing out a talented QB with his traits. There are QBs that take some time to develop and reach their potential. Some that come to mind. 

Drew Brees- Tossed aside by Chargers at the age of 27. They drafted Phillip Rivers and never won a title. Brees went on to be one of the greatest QBs of all time. 

Alex Smith- got replaced by Kaepernick at age 28. Traded to chiefs at age 29 and went on to have the best years of his career. Since ditching Smith Niners have had Kaepernick, Gabbert, Hoyer, Beathard, Mullins and finally Jimmy G. 

Kurt Warner- here me out. He signed undrafted at age 27. Blew up then regressed to a backup. Everyone thought he couldn’t improve and all he did was take the Arizona Cardinals to the Superbowl. Since replacing him, they started Bulger, Fitzpatrick, Boller, Bradford, Shaun Hill, Foles, Keenum, Finally Goff

Tony Romo- sat for 3 years and couldn’t beat out Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Henson. Finally win the spot at age 26. Became one of the greatest cowboy QBs. 

These are just some examples that I found of players developing late. 

21 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I am not saying he won’t improve, I just have a hard time throwing out a talented QB with his traits. There are QBs that take some time to develop and reach their potential. Some that come to mind. 

Drew Brees- Tossed aside by Chargers at the age of 27. They drafted Phillip Rivers and never won a title. Brees went on to be one of the greatest QBs of all time. 

Alex Smith- got replaced by Kaepernick at age 28. Traded to chiefs at age 29 and went on to have the best years of his career. Since ditching Smith Niners have had Kaepernick, Gabbert, Hoyer, Beathard, Mullins and finally Jimmy G. 

Kurt Warner- here me out. He signed undrafted at age 27. Blew up then regressed to a backup. Everyone thought he couldn’t improve and all he did was take the Arizona Cardinals to the Superbowl. Since replacing him, they started Bulger, Fitzpatrick, Boller, Bradford, Shaun Hill, Foles, Keenum, Finally Goff

Tony Romo- sat for 3 years and couldn’t beat out Quincy Carter, Chad Hutchinson, Vinny Testaverde, Drew Henson. Finally win the spot at age 26. Became one of the greatest cowboy QBs. 

These are just some examples that I found of players developing late. 

There are too many to list of QB's who had the same flaws through college and 5 years in the NFL and never improved.  He's had 5 years to improve and still has the same flaws as he did in college.  

Struggles with deep ball accuracy completing just 23.1 percent on attempts of 21-plus yards. Had several overthrows when tasked with deep throws down sideline versus man coverage. Failed to recognize receivers running wide open down the seam. Gets locked in on a pre­-snap plan and has issues altering his itinerary quickly.

2 hours ago, Myles said:

There are too many to list of QB's who had the same flaws through college and 5 years in the NFL and never improved.  He's had 5 years to improve and still has the same flaws as he did in college.  

I get what you are saying, I do. But the list on 1st round QB Bust is pretty long as well.