Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So now...if you’re Andy Reid do you retire on a high note or keep coaching?

Happy2BeHere

I can see reasons for doing either but let’s be honest he has a fairly decent window to go to the big game maybe a few times more with the team he has. I think you stay in that situation. If he had an older team and uncertainty at key positions then it would be a perfect time to hang it up.

1 more year for Mahomes rookie contract, I’m riding it for sure. Their GM Veach brought in some good defensive leaders like Mathieu, traded for Frank Clark, and brought in Spags, so they’re going to be around, IMO, with or without Reid.

You wonder if their loyalty to their DC Bob Sutton cost them last year vs Patriots, he also gave up big comeback to Andrew Luck too. Shows you too much loyalty comes at a price, IMO. John Fox fired a year after a SB appearance by Broncos, Mike Mularkey fired by Titans after winning a wild card game vs Chiefs, you have to take chances if you believe you have a better option on the coaching front. 

Mahomes put up 31 vs Belichick in a half, like Peyton did in the AFCCG, not easy to do no matter where you play.

Very few coaches or players walk away right after winning a SB.

I see no reason to quit unless he was literally staying in it just because he had not won a championship.  

But his team is still a contender, might as well go for another one.  Let's keep in mind that winning a 2nd SB IMO would solidify him as a first ballot hall of fame coach.  I think he's probably a hall of fame coach anyways because so many people worked under him, he coached for so long and won so many games.  But a 2nd SB makes it no contest.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

Mahomes is awesome and going to be for a long time. But the Chiefs have to get better a d fast. Its gonns be hard for them to be overall as solid as Pats squads were. Gm has some work to do.

That is true.    But they are now a preferred destination for free agents.   They have some young talent on "D" and can add more.  

There are only 2 ways he quits anytime soon. They are 2 very possible ways but they are the only ways. Number 1 is if he’s no longer motivated to coach in overdrive like Dungy when he finally won.  Number 2 is his health. Guy is a heart attack waiting to happen God love him.

16 hours ago, BloodyChamp said:

There are only 2 ways he quits anytime soon. They are 2 very possible ways but they are the only ways. Number 1 is if he’s no longer motivated to coach in overdrive like Dungy when he finally won.  Number 2 is his health. Guy is a heart attack waiting to happen God love him.

This. . . with his age and weight I was half afraid that the excitement of finally winning the SB might have killed him on the field.  

Great coach but you have to worry about his health.  

17 hours ago, Myles said:

That is true.    But they are now a preferred destination for free agents.   They have some young talent on "D" and can add more.  

Plus, their GM is willing to spend on free agents too. We were "supposedly" a preferred destination due to Andrew Luck too but our GMs tried to get bargain bin deals, all of them cap friendly, but not enough to make a huge difference.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Plus, their GM is willing to spend on free agents too. We were "supposedly" a preferred destination due to Andrew Luck too but our GMs tried to get bargain bin deals, all of them cap friendly, but not enough to make a huge difference.

As far as the receiving crew goes, I was excited about it with Luck last year.

Hilton, Funchess, Rodgers, Cain, Pascal, Ebron, Doyle, Inman, Fountain and Campbell looked like a great crew for Andrew.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

Hilton, Funchess, Rodgers, Cain, Pascal, Ebron, Doyle, Inman, Fountain and Campbell looked like a great crew for Andrew.  

On the surface, yeah. We didn't keep Inman first, neither did we keep Cain.

Promise that does not materialize sets you back.

1 more thought. He won’t retire with Mahomes, but he could get fired if he loses the tiniest bit of fire. It sounds insane now but just let them go 10-6 and 1 and done a whopping 2 times in a row. It will get spun back to him. It could be him (see McCarthy) or it could just be their best effort (see Parcels). And he could repeat lol!

8 hours ago, Myles said:

Even with Luck I wasn't excited about it. Luck just makes everyone better. I had faith in TY and Ebron with Luck and that was it. Without Luck, Ebron wasn't that good. I liked Inman but we didn't re-sign him. Regarding those others I wasn't sure what to expect. Doyle to me is just a solid security blanket. Good to have but nothing special.

8 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Even with Luck I wasn't excited about it. Luck just makes everyone better. I had faith in TY and Ebron with Luck and that was it. Without Luck, Ebron wasn't that good. I liked Inman but we didn't re-sign him. Regarding those others I wasn't sure what to expect. Doyle to me is just a solid security blanket. Good to have but nothing special.

I was happy to have Funchess.   I thought Luck needed a big WR.   Most were pretty excited to see Campbell. 

At minimum the receiving crew was better (on paper) that what Luck had in 2018 when he threw for 67% completions, 4600 yards and 39 TD's.  Once Luck quit, who knew what would happen.