Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard's biggest challenge

CR91

I agree. I think because of the Super Bowl, everyone is gonna be looking for the next Mahomes. The first thing, ther is only one Mahomes. Just like there is only one Peyton and One Brady. 

The other question is, does Love have the ability to be even a fraction of Mahomes. I’m afraid because he has similar characteristics  and is being compared to him, he will shoot up the draft board and get over drafted by someone.  

2 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I agree. I think because of the Super Bowl, everyone is gonna be looking for the next Mahomes. The first thing, ther is only one Mahomes. Just like there is only one Peyton and One Brady. 

The other question is, does Love have the ability to be even a fraction of Mahomes. I’m afraid because he has similar characteristics  and is being compared to him, he will shoot up the draft board and get over drafted by someone.  

Also people forget this.  Mahommes as great as he is, he arguably has the best tight end in the game and 3 fast wrs. Plus, Hill maybe the greatest player to ever put   the fear of God in a defense to ever play football. U take away Kelsey and give him Doyle.  U take away Hill and give him Hilton. Problem is that if u trade up to get Love, if u even have to, it becomes difficult to around him with weapons.  

32 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And when the game was in the hands of the QB to win? You can't hide your QB. Eventually your QB has to win you the game.

sure, I am just saying that the 49ers are a very balanced team and thats what our GM is looking for. When the game is on the line, I would take a generational talent like Mahomes  any day of the week and twice on sunday. 

3 minutes ago, el duderino said:

sure, I am just saying that the 49ers are a very balanced team and thats what our GM is looking for. When the game is on the line, I would take a generational talent like Mahomes  any day of the week and twice on sunday. 

Problem is for every player like Mahomes, there’s dozens of busts.

Trying to find one is hard enough. Let alone being able to sign them. 

5 minutes ago, el duderino said:

Generational talent would be great, but even a top 10 QB would be an improvement

6 hours ago, CR91 said:

I stopped reading after you called him Mahomes Jr. You can't excuse his poor decision making and accuracy. He makes the same bone-head ints that people hated Luck for.

Any one who hated Luck is the BONE HEAD. I will take Luck seven days to Sunday and never look back. If we had him with his bone head ints we would have made the playoffs and possible be playing tonight. You lost all credibility with that statement.

Love, Herbert or Eason are these generational quarterbacks of course only time will tell. I think the Colts will find good tight end in this draft to find a better tight end in Doyle. Doyle has a great deal of skill but if we put a superior tight end with him that would make a great difference. Take the best receiver or defensive tackle at 13 or trade back a few spots I still pick up a high-quality receiver or defensive tackle. Trading back could net us another second or third pick. in the second round we should take just the opposite we took in the first round. Then see what quarterbacks are available at 34 or 44.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28618368/sources-raiders-pursue-tom-brady-qb-becomes-free-agent

Adam Schefter is reporting that if/when Tom Brady hits free agency that the Raiders are going to make a push for him. Personally, I would prefer Carr over JB or a rookie QB. I think Carr is a pretty good QB and with our OL and if our receivers are healthy we could take a huge leap in the AFC.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Any one who hated Luck is the BONE HEAD. I will take Luck seven days to Sunday and never look back. If we had him with his bone head ints we would have made the playoffs and possible be playing tonight. You lost all credibility with that statement.

Read my OP. I said he's a legendary QB, but who did complain about Andrew always pointed to that. 

32 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Also people forget this.  Mahommes as great as he is, he arguably has the best tight end in the game and 3 fast wrs. Plus, Hill maybe the greatest player to ever put   the fear of God in a defense to ever play football. U take away Kelsey and give him Doyle.  U take away Hill and give him Hilton. Problem is that if u trade up to get Love, if u even have to, it becomes difficult to around him with weapons.  

Greatest player to ever put   the fear of God in a defense to ever play football.  Exaggerate much?

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Read my OP. I said he's a legendary QB, but who did complain about Andrew always pointed to that. 

OK, I'll buy that. But you said of Love, "God help us" and then followed that he makes the same bone head throw as Luck. Don't follow. Maybe Love could also be legendary also if I follow what your saying. I think he could be good if not legendary so who knows for sure.

10 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

OK, I'll buy that. But you said of Love, "God help us" and then followed that he makes the same bone head throw as Luck. Don't follow. Maybe Love could also be legendary also if I follow what your saying. I think he could be good if not legendary so who knows for sure.

I said god help out because I think Love is a mistake. He is not the QB I want. He's reckless and undisciplined. 

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

I said god help out because I think Love is a mistake. He is not the QB I want. He's reckless and undisciplined. 

He had one season where he lost everything and had some INT.  Its probably a one off type thing do to the circumstances. He was not a turnover machine his first two seasons. Manning and Luck had int issues coming into the league. The big thing is he self aware and does he understand how to correctly it and understand why it happened. The interviews I heard with him during the senior bowl tells me yes.

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He had one season where he lost everything and had some INT.  Its probably a one off type thing do to the circumstances. He was not a turnover machine his first two seasons. Manning and Luck had int issues coming into the league. The big thing is he self aware and does he understand how to correctly it and understand why it happened. The interviews I heard with him during the senior bowl tells me yes.

Jesus please don't compare him Manning or Luck. Heres a comparison he's Baker. He'll give a splash play, but overall the recklessness and poor decision making will cost games.

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Jesus please don't compare him Manning or Luck. Heres a comparison he's Baker. He'll give a splash play, but overall the recklessness and poor decision making will cost games.

They had issues and corrected it. Last season was the only season Love had issues. That team had a lot of turnover. His  RB in 2018 just won a SB tonight. That’s how much talent he lost. Utah State isn’t going to just reload. In his interviews he talked about finding balance and knowing when to take risks. That tells me he is very coachable and is aware of the issue. His defense was horrendous last year also. Put him on that LSU team and he would of been great.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

They had issues and corrected it. Last season was the only season Love had issues. That team had a lot of turnover. Biscuits RB in 2018 just won a SB tonight. That’s how much talent he lost. Utah State isn’t going to just reload. I need hia interviews he talked about finding balance and knowing when to take risks. That tells me he is very coachable and is aware of the issue. His defense was horrendous last year also. Put him on that LSU team and he would of been great.

You have one good season and one very bad season. It's a tale of two seasons, but I think this season showed his flaws and why his game will be a problem for him in the next season.

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You have one good season and one very bad season. It's a tale of two seasons, but I think this season showed his flaws and why his game will be a problem for him in the next season.

He has no talent around him. You do understand that Utah state isn’t LSU or Alabama and gets a load of talent. He did have a lot around him in 2018. I really don’t care about his int last year. What if shoes me is he knew he had a lack of talent around him and put it all on his shoulders. If he is a coachable kid I am not worried about his decision making when he lost all his starters and coaches.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He has no talent around him. You do understand that Utah state isn’t LSU or Alabama and gets a load of talent. He did have a lot around him in 2018. I really don’t care about his int last year. What if shoes me is he knew he had a lack of talent around him and put it all on his shoulders. If he is a coachable kid I am not worried about his decision making when he lost all his starters and coaches.

9 minutes ago, Stephen said:

Not behind a good oline

QBs elevate the talent around them. Their supposed to make them better. That's part of the job. Make chicken salad out of chicken % and if you can't do that in the college level, you have no chance in the pros.

10 minutes ago, CR91 said:

QBs elevate the talent around them. Their supposed to make them better. That's part of the job. Make chicken salad out of chicken % and if you can't do that in the college level, you have no chance in the pros.

He did elevate a grad trans to his best WR, even though he lost all his skill players and most OL. That grad transfer couldn't crack the starting line up at Utah.

In a year he also changed coaches and scheme. 

45 minutes ago, CR91 said:

He also worked with same qb coach as Luck 

Wow, y’all getting way off topic and going at each other about Love. Back to the OP, Ballard biggest challenge going into offseason is exactly what you to are yelling at each other about. Figuring out who he likes at QB and making a decision. I still think it is possible that he makes the unpopular decision to draft a qb mid round and roll with Brissett. 

On 2/2/2020 at 7:09 AM, indykmj said:

For the record, while obviously not drafted by TENN, Tannehill was the #8 overall pick in 2012.

Very valid point. On the flip side, early round QBs arent successful the majority of the time. 

19 hours ago, CR91 said:

You can't really look at those two teams. Henry just had a ridiculous string of games, but as soon as the Chiefs made tannerhill throw, it was game over. You can't hide your QB. As for the 49ers, the Vikings and Packers just couldn't stop their run game, but no mistake Jimmy G is better then Brisett. Brisett didn't even have 200 yards in 8 games not including the steelers

Henry did have a historic run, there is no doubt. My main point about the run game was that the Colts are top 5 in rushing while teams stacked the box against the Colts because the passing offense was so predictably bad. 

15 hours ago, coming on strong said:

jimmy g is good though you act like he is not a top ten QB    he completed 70 percent of passes for 27 touchdowns 4000 yards passing . titans are never gonna win a superbowl with tannehill be real, they went on a lucky run and beat 42 year old brady who was having his worst year of his career .   they also beat a overrated lamar who cant throw without play action and giant throwing windows , who threw 37 yards last year against the chargers .     you need a franchise QB to win superbowls in todays league this is not the early 2000s any more . 

Mahomes may have proved your point for you. 

14 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Couple things. He can get both a DT and QB in the first if that's what he wants. Or 1st and early 2nd if he doesn't want to trade back into the 1st. And BPA is very subjective, and also unrealistic in it's purest sense. If the BPA available is a WILL or OG for instance, we're not going BPA.... 

You mention that getting Nelson turned the whole O around. You can also say that losing Luck / starting JB, also turned it right back around. Even before injury issues, the passing game had clearly regressed. So in the same sense, a new QB could also change the O right back around, even if he is a bit of a reach. 

When it comes to passing, I completely agree that the offense did a 180 compared to the previous year. I just question what level of a franchise QB one needs in order to bring the offense back around. I surely cannot wait for the draft to see what kind of magic Ballard is willing to do. I would love to get a prominent DT and QB even if we had to trade most of our draft capital to do so (meaning he cannot be silent in FA this off season). 

12 hours ago, Gigc said:

Disagree. 

Staying the course works if you have a good QB. One you can build around. 

If you don't have one you're always looking for one.

The challenge is to find one.

If you cant find that guy, shouldn't you just stay the course on your overall draft philosophy? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Wow, y’all getting way off topic and going at each other about Love. Back to the OP, Ballard biggest challenge going into offseason is exactly what you to are yelling at each other about. Figuring out who he likes at QB and making a decision. I still think it is possible that he makes the unpopular decision to draft a qb mid round and roll with Brissett. 

When you combine the drafting prowess of a Chris Ballard with the pure worth of players such as Nelson and Leonard (even at non-premium positions), BPA becomes a very powerful thing. Hypothetically, lets say we take Isaiah Simmons at 13 (he falls for some reason). He's a jack-of-all-trades, Derwin James type. If he became an all-pro, would we be disappointed we didn't take a premium position pick 2 years later? Probably not. Stack players, stack leaders that lead by example, stack drafts. Worst-case-scenario, we can always sign a good veteran QB in FA.

As long as we are hitting on draft picks, then Ballard is doing his job. Just get BPA. That's why the 2018 draft ended up so well. It's like I tell Blackjack card-counters I know. Follow the process, and you'll win long-term.

9 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

Love, Herbert or Eason are these generational quarterbacks of course only time will tell. I think the Colts will find good tight end in this draft to find a better tight end in Doyle. Doyle has a great deal of skill but if we put a superior tight end with him that would make a great difference. Take the best receiver or defensive tackle at 13 or trade back a few spots I still pick up a high-quality receiver or defensive tackle. Trading back could net us another second or third pick. in the second round we should take just the opposite we took in the first round. Then see what quarterbacks are available at 34 or 44.

Things I don't understands. The insistence that TE is a pressing issue for this team. It's not a top 5 concern.

52 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Things I don't understands. The insistence that TE is a pressing issue for this team. It's not a top 5 concern.

I agree TE is a need for the Colts. But it’s a secondary need. If the Colts can find an all around TE who can block and get YAC, that would be great. But I’d use rounds 4-7 to look for that guy.

3 hours ago, The Fish said:

I don't really get into ranking needs...but TE is definitely a need. Anything that is no longer a strength should be seen as a need...but logistically...the Colts used 1-2 personnel 28% of the time last year (30% of run plays...and 26% of pass plays). Right now...the TE2 on this team is MAC...who barely has 200+ yards receiving in his short career. 

I would think Ballard would agree with TE being a need. Heading into the 2018 season...he felt it was enough of a need to sign Ebron (to a two-year deal that paid him slightly more annually than Doyle)...even though Doyle had just come off a Pro Bowl nod.

And now...Ebron will be gone...and no other TE has been brought in or has emerged from the UDFA pile. So if it was a need two offseasons ago...when Doyle wasn't 30 (and hadn't suffered a hip injury)...then it has to be a need now.

Doyle is a solid TE...but I would prefer he be the TE1b. So my hope that FA offers that solution...but the draft has some intriguing options...which would allow Doyle to transition into a TE2 role after next season.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

I don't really get into ranking needs...but TE is definitely a need. Anything that is no longer a strength should be seen as a need...but logistically...the Colts used 1-2 personnel 28% of the time last year (30% of run plays...and 26% of pass plays). Right now...the TE2 on this team is MAC...who barely has 200+ yards receiving in his short career. 

I would think Ballard would agree with TE being a need. Heading into the 2018 season...he felt it was enough of a need to sign Ebron (to a two-year deal that paid him slightly more annually than Doyle)...even though Doyle had just come off a Pro Bowl nod.

And now...Ebron will be gone...and no other TE has been brought in or has emerged from the UDFA pile. So if it was a need two offseasons ago...when Doyle wasn't 30 (and hadn't suffered a hip injury)...then it has to be a need now.

Doyle is a solid TE...but I would prefer he be the TE1b. So my hope that FA offers that solution...but the draft has some intriguing options...which would allow Doyle to transition into a TE2 role after next season.

All of this overlooks that the guy who was throwing the ball to the TE's wasn't particularly efficient. Doyle didn't forget how to catch the ball.

I've got QB, Pass Rush/DE, WR, LT/O line depth, CB all being more pressing needs. 

13 minutes ago, The Fish said:

All of this overlooks that the guy who was throwing the ball to the TE's wasn't particularly efficient. Doyle didn't forget how to catch the ball.

I've got QB, Pass Rush/DE, WR, LT/O line depth, CB all being more pressing needs. 

Not sure how CB is a pressing need. We already signed two to long term contracts and drafted two more

30 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I am not overlooking that...I didn't even mention Doyle's decreased production with JB throwing the ball.

I am just talking about talent and depth. Regardless of QB...the position is a need IMO. MAC is the TE2 and he's probably a guy who should be battling for a TE3 spot.

5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Very valid point. On the flip side, early round QBs arent successful the majority of the time. 

Henry did have a historic run, there is no doubt. My main point about the run game was that the Colts are top 5 in rushing while teams stacked the box against the Colts because the passing offense was so predictably bad. 

Mahomes may have proved your point for you. 

When it comes to passing, I completely agree that the offense did a 180 compared to the previous year. I just question what level of a franchise QB one needs in order to bring the offense back around. I surely cannot wait for the draft to see what kind of magic Ballard is willing to do. I would love to get a prominent DT and QB even if we had to trade most of our draft capital to do so (meaning he cannot be silent in FA this off season). 

If you cant find that guy, shouldn't you just stay the course on your overall draft philosophy? 

Not if it means not taking risks to find the QB you don't have.

Honestly, the older I get, the more I feel this is important.

Go back and look at the Colt's history. Look at the good times; they're filled by Peyton, Bert, Johnny U. Look at the losing seasons; they're filled with decades of Pagels, Trudeaus, 1st round misses like Schlicter and George, mid-rounders who were good, but not good enough, like Chandler, trades that didn't work out like Craig Erickson.

You just gotta take the chance --- and follow your basic draft philosophy.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

It's a crap s;hoot if you get Love as everyone is implying he is the next coming of Mahomes.  Think again, he might be the next coming of Jameis Winston.  

He plays nothing like Winston.

My fear is that he might be the next coming of Deshone Kizer, not Winston.