Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Ballard's biggest challenge

CR91

I've honestly been impressed with the talent Ballard has been able to find. Nelson and Leonard will always come to mind first, but he's found gems too.

Mack in the fourth round

Moore as a Udfa

Walker in the 6th

Smith who was projected as a G and becomes a T

Glowinski as a little known waiver claim

but all those moves seem undone now after two losing seasons out of three and the challenge now becomes trying to replace another legendary QB. Yes Andrew is legendary. (Please don't turn this into a Luck thread). Now people have voiced their opinions on the QB class. Some want Herbert. Some want Love (god help us). Some want Brady or Rivers.............:lol:. Some even wanna tank for Trevor. Now there are those that still believe in Brisett even though I don't think he is the answer. This is imo the off-season that will define Ballard and rather or not he can actually build a championship team, but you need to get the QB right.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

Rather or not?  

If he's been building a team for years, and you ha e to get the QB right, then there's nothing saying this specific off-season is any referendum on his overall performance...

I have faith in Ballard I do. I'm just saying getting the QB right is not easy and if you have no QB then you don't have a team.

I'm not a Brisett fan, and I don't see him as a franchise QB, but he isn't as woeful as some suggest.  He was about mid level before he got injured and then went downhill pretty quickly.  If he stayed healthy, we make the playoffs.  We need an upgrade at QB to be a real contender, but there's no way I would be reaching for one in the draft.

• Like 3

Ballard needs to stay the course. Dont reach for a QB, and pick BPA. Kinlaw would change this defense around. CeeDee Lamb would be an elite WR. People here still want an elite QB because they fear what little a QB like JB cant do, but imo Ballard needs to stay the course and pick BPA because if he doesn't things can go down hill rather quickly. You reach for a QB and he doesn't pan out? Now your defense still needs play makers and they arent stopping anyone and the grumbling begins because he decided to reach for a QB that didnt deserve to be picked where he was taken and this team is in jeopardy. Is that what everyone here wants? 

Kinlaw in round one (Nelson turned this whole offense around), then with one of your 2nd round picks, you take QB. Just look at Tannehil for TN, or JG in SF. Those guys were good enough to make it to the Championship and Super Bowl because they had a great surrounding cast. 

Oline and Dline are the biggest needs on any team. If we can have a top 5 oline and dline this team is going places without the need for a top 5 QB. Top 10? Yea. Top 5 no. And I'd wager top 10 is a lot easier to find. 

Ballards biggest challenge is not folding to the pressure of reaching for a QB. 

• Like 9

29 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Ballard needs to stay the course. Dont reach for a QB, and pick BPA. Kinlaw would change this defense around. CeeDee Lamb would be an elite WR. People here still want an elite QB because they fear what little a QB like JB cant do, but imo Ballard needs to stay the course and pick BPA because if he doesn't things can go down hill rather quickly. You reach for a QB and he doesn't pan out? Now your defense still needs play makers and they arent stopping anyone and the grumbling begins because he decided to reach for a QB that didnt deserve to be picked where he was taken and this team is in jeopardy. Is that what everyone here wants? 

Kinlaw in round one (Nelson turned this whole offense around), then with one of your 2nd round picks, you take QB. Just look at Tannehil for TN, or JG in SF. Those guys were good enough to make it to the Championship and Super Bowl because they had a great surrounding cast. 

Oline and Dline are the biggest needs on any team. If we can have a top 5 oline and dline this team is going places without the need for a top 5 QB. Top 10? Yea. Top 5 no. And I'd wager top 10 is a lot easier to find. 

For the record, while obviously not drafted by TENN, Tannehill was the #8 overall pick in 2012.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Bingo!  The only thing I'd add is that IF some miracle happens and Brown slides to 13, RUN to the podium.  Otherwise Kinlaw would be a terrific second choice.  I think both are top 8 talents in this draft.  BPA all the way!

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I think Ballard's biggest challenge will be not drafting a quarterback in the first round without a fan base revolt.

Disagree.  A few youngsters on this board will be upset, but, most are astute enough to know Ballard will do what's best and stay the course.  Draft order prediction (again) - DT - WR - OL, then BPA all the way for the rest.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Couldn't agree more.  That's why you can't rule out a trade or FA signing similar to the path TN and SF took.   There is more than one road to achieve success.  

6 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

You can't really look at those two teams. Henry just had a ridiculous string of games, but as soon as the Chiefs made tannerhill throw, it was game over. You can't hide your QB. As for the 49ers, the Vikings and Packers just couldn't stop their run game, but no mistake Jimmy G is better then Brisett. Brisett didn't even have 200 yards in 8 games not including the steelers

18 minutes ago, CR91 said:

You can't really look at those two teams. Henry just had a ridiculous string of games, but as soon as the Chiefs made tannerhill throw, it was game over. You can't hide your QB. As for the 49ers, the Vikings and Packers just couldn't stop their run game, but no mistake Jimmy G is better then Brisett. Brisett didn't even have 200 yards in 8 games not including the steelers

I guarantee you Ballard is looking at those 2 teams. I'm not saying that we should keep JB as the starter indefinitely. I'm saying this upcoming draft needs to be about the lines, and I think there are QBs that are better than JB further along in the draft. People could point back on this draft and claim we should have drafted a QB early if things dont pan out, but they could also point back and say we should have drafted oline and dline because the available QBs havent panned out anywhere. I think there are equally as good QBs available in late 2nd round to 3rd round, while also having a higher ceiling, than what we have in JB. 

JB must he replaced at the end of 2020, I agree, and I'm all for drafting that QB. I just dont want to do that with our first or second pick. Peyton couldnt make it to the SB until we had booger in 2006. I'd like to see Ballard draft a prominent DT early rather than wait until the hole is so glaring they dont have a choice. 

I like Eason, and I like Fromm and I think they can be as good or better than Tannehill, and I think the Colts have a better GM and HC than the Titans do. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

I guarantee you Ballard is looking at those 2 teams. I'm not saying that we should keep JB as the starter indefinitely. I'm saying this upcoming draft needs to be about the lines, and I think there are QBs that are better than JB further along in the draft. People could point back on this draft and claim we should have drafted a QB early if things dont pan out, but they could also point back and say we should have drafted oline and dline because the available QBs havent panned out anywhere. I think there are equally as good QBs available in late 2nd round to 3rd round, while also having a higher ceiling, than what we have in JB. 

JB must he replaced at the end of 2020, I agree, and I'm all for drafting that QB. I just dont want to do that with our first or second pick. Peyton couldnt make it to the SB until we had booger in 2006. I'd like to see Ballard draft a prominent DT early rather than wait until the hole is so glaring they dont have a choice. 

I like Eason, and I like Fromm and I think they can be as good or better than Tannehill, and I think the Colts have a better GM and HC than the Titans do. 

Imo, if we are going to replace Brisett, it needs to be for an obvious upgrade. A Tannerhill caliber QB is not going to unseat Brisett. Now I have no issues addressing the lines, but I do think the QB is a more glaring need. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Imo, if we are going to replace Brisett, it needs to be for an obvious upgrade. A Tannerhill caliber QB is not going to unseat Brisett. Now I have no issues addressing the lines, but I do think the QB is a more glaring 

When it comes down to it, if Kinlaw and Love are both there at 13, I'm okay with either of those guys. I just think that Kinlaw is a better DT than Love is a QB. But if Love isnt heaps and bounds better than Kinlaw is in the next 5 years I'm going to wish we had taken Kinlaw. In the end, I'm just glad I'm not the GM lol

Guys, Ballard can walk and chew gun at the same time, #13 is not our only way to get a defensive lineman or a receiver + we have 90M+ to spend in FA.... a single defensive lineman will not fix our defense... or getting a receiver that can get open will not make Brissett throw to him. We've seen he has trouble seeing open receivers and making the throws that need to be made. I don't have a problem with getting a Ceedee Lamb or a Jerry Jeudy but make no mistake - it will just make us even more frustrated because it will make it even more obvious that Brissett is not the answer and we will be at the same spot next year, only having lost a year of Quenton and Leonard's primes on rookie contract.  

QB is and will always be the most important position in football and unless AC retires Jacoby will continue being the weakest starter on the entire team. I am not in favor of drafting a QB just for the sake of drafting a QB, but if Ballard loves a QB and he has a chance to either take him with one of our picks or trade up for him with our picks, he has to do it. No other position should be in consideration if he likes a QB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, NannyMcafee said:

When it comes down to it, if Kinlaw and Love are both there at 13, I'm okay with either of those guys. I just think that Kinlaw is a better DT than Love is a QB. But if Love isnt heaps and bounds better than Kinlaw is in the next 5 years I'm going to wish we had taken Kinlaw. In the end, I'm just glad I'm not the GM lol

Well Derek Carr seems to be on the market now so we'll see what happens

• Like 2

3 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

jimmy g is good though you act like he is not a top ten QB    he completed 70 percent of passes for 27 touchdowns 4000 yards passing . titans are never gonna win a superbowl with tannehill be real, they went on a lucky run and beat 42 year old brady who was having his worst year of his career .   they also beat a overrated lamar who cant throw without play action and giant throwing windows , who threw 37 yards last year against the chargers .     you need a franchise QB to win superbowls in todays league this is not the early 2000s any more . 

we got a lot of our young talent in the second round .  draft jordan love at 13 let him sit a year .  we have two high second round picks to draft a dt  and a wr .  the reason the colts weapons seemed so bad last year was injuries not every year are you gonna lose your number 1 number 2 and number 3 wr for most of the year .    we still have hilton and jack doyle  and paris cambell and pascal is young and took a huge step up last year proved he can be a number 3 option with cambell a number 2 guy.  

we have the most cap space of any team in nfl   we can easily buy a tight end and a wr in free agency and draft another one with second round .     we can get chris jones in free agency also . with the third round pick i would go after a Ot

• Like 1

to the people saying you can win without a top ten QB  look at this years playoffs .   how many playoff teams had a bad QB ?    just the titans .   the seahawks, packers , saints patriots, 49ers , ravens , texans , eagles , bills even josh allen took huge steps and looked really good last year. 

look down at the last 20 years how many teams won the superbowl without a franchise QB

the eagles are the only team i can think of and foles balled out in the superbowl and put the team on his back .  the broncos are really the only team to win with defense only most teams had a franchise guy even the ravens in 2012 flacco went 11 touchdowns to 0 picks in playoff run . 

thats the problem when you get to the playoffs you htave to go against teams with top five QBs who also have top 5 defenses.   how can you compete with that with just a defense and running game .   the chiefs shut down the titans run game and they looked lost .  you have to have a balanced team with a good defense .   We are not going anywhere with jacoby .

15 hours ago, CR91 said:

I've honestly been impressed with the talent Ballard has been able to find. Nelson and Leonard will always come to mind first, but he's found gems too.

Mack in the fourth round

Moore as a Udfa

Walker in the 6th

but all those moves seem undone now after two losing seasons out of three and the challenge now becomes trying to replace another legendary QB. Yes Andrew is legendary. (Please don't turn this into a Luck thread). Now people have voiced their opinions on the QB class. Some want Herbert. Some want Love (god help us). Some want Brady or Rivers.............:lol:. Some even wanna tank for Trevor. Now there are those that still believe in Brisett even though I don't think he is the answer. This is imo the off-season that will define Ballard and rather or not he can actually build a championship team, but you need to get the QB right.

you think jordan love is so bad but look at the team he is playing for and look at jake froms team . from is a bust jordan love is pat mahomes jr.  he has the same talent look at his throws on the run and arm talent to throw across his body into tight windows and drop 70 yard bombs .

10 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Couple things. He can get both a DT and QB in the first if that's what he wants. Or 1st and early 2nd if he doesn't want to trade back into the 1st. And BPA is very subjective, and also unrealistic in it's purest sense. If the BPA available is a WILL or OG for instance, we're not going BPA.... 

You mention that getting Nelson turned the whole O around. You can also say that losing Luck / starting JB, also turned it right back around. Even before injury issues, the passing game had clearly regressed. So in the same sense, a new QB could also change the O right back around, even if he is a bit of a reach. 

• Like 2

Just now, coming on strong said:

you think jordan love is so bad but look at the team he is playing for and look at jake froms team . from is a bust jordan love is pat mahomes jr.  he has the same talent look at his throws on the run and arm talent to throw across his body into tight windows and drop 70 yard bombs .

I stopped reading after you called him Mahomes Jr. You can't excuse his poor decision making and accuracy. He makes the same bone-head ints that people hated Luck for.

Just now, CR91 said:

I stopped reading after you called him Mahomes Jr. You can't excuse his poor decision making and accuracy. He makes the same bone-head ints that people hated Luck for.

luck was still elite .  mahomes made tons of bone head ints in college look at the film tons of his passes could of been picks in college , he forced throws and tried to do to much .  but with elite coaching he is elite now.   ill take elite talent over a safe QB with a weak arm any day sorry

luck was still elite .  mahomes made tons of bone head ints in college look at the film tons of his passes could of been picks in college , he forced throws and tried to do to much .  but with elite coaching he is elite now.   ill take elite talent over a safe QB with a weak arm any day sorry

Who exactly is the safe QB with a weak arm? 

jake fromm .    i also dont like herbert  . has to many hobbies outside of football like luck has talent but does not have the passion brady or manning did.

Not a fan of Fromm. I do like Herbert. His talent is undeniable. I could care less if he has hobbies outside of football. Everyone does. 

I had the strangest feeling he's going to take Eason in the second round. I have no basis for this I just get a feeling. I don't really trust the quarterbacks behind him and I'm not sure Eason is the answer either. I'll be very disappointed if they could be a quarterback in the first round with 13. I see Ballard drafting back and getting the best available receiver or defensive tackle.

16 hours ago, CR91 said:

Mack in the fourth round

Moore as a Udfa

Walker in the 6th

Ballard’s biggest challenge isn’t near as tough as the challenge this forum has not creating another “Ballard challenge” thread. Haha haha

not directed at you @CR91 there’s just been a bunch of these forums lately

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Ballard’s biggest challenge isn’t near as tough as the challenge this forum has not creating another “Ballard challenge” thread. Haha haha

not directed at you @CR91 there’s just been a bunch of these forums lately

No worries. I just think while yes Ballard has found gems, finding a franchise QB is more difficult because of a lot of different factors and a lot of it is not even about their arm.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, NannyMcafee said:

Disagree. 

Staying the course works if you have a good QB. One you can build around. 

If you don't have one you're always looking for one.

The challenge is to find one.

R people watching the super bowl?  Yes u can build a team with a good qb. I truly believe u continue to pick best player available. Never reach or trade up unless u really.....really think that guy is a franchise setter.  To me,  I wouldn't trade up for anyone qb  in this draft class. U trade up for a guy like Love and he busts and Ballard and Reich will b gone. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, el duderino said:

look at the 49ers, thats exactly what ballard is looking for.

I totally agree. Now, let’s be honest Jimmy G has been very good. But he will throw for less that 300. So not Mahomes. Just saying, if Brissett can improve and make that 1-3 big plays per game and the Colts build that D. You never know. 

Also, let’s not forget when asked by Dakich about the Niners, Ballard was blown away. That is what he wants, not Chiefs. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, el duderino said:

look at the 49ers, thats exactly what ballard is looking for.

And when the game was in the hands of the QB to win? You can't hide your QB. Eventually your QB has to win you the game.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CR91 said:

And when the game was in the hands of the QB to win? You can't hide your QB. Eventually your QB has to win you the game.

I will say also that Shanahan made some bad decisions. Up by 10 with 6 minutes left, with a very effective run game, he made the choice to have Jimmy G come out throwing. But I agree, we found out what we already know... huge difference between Mahomes and Jimmy G. 

With that also being said, Mahomes is like Peyton or Brady. He is a once in a generation player. No one in this next draft even comes close, including Burrow.