Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colt Overseas 2020 Mock Offseason

I taught I'd do one of these, I've been following the draft process now for a couple of months and have a few ideas. I'll try to keep it as realistic as possible.

Cap Space: $93,807,524 (Spotrac)

Re-signed Free Agents:

Anthony Castonzo - 4 years $56m ($40m guaranteed (4th highest paid LT))

Devin Funchess - 1 year $6m

Joe Haeg - 3 years $12m ($8m guaranteed)

Josh Andrews - 3 years $10m ($6m guaranteed)

Le'Raven Clark - 2 years $5m ($3m guaranteed)

Daurice Fountain - 1 year $700k

Cuts:

Margus Hunt - $4m

Pre Free Agency Cap Space: $67,307,524 

Free Agent Signings:

Byron Jones (DAL) - 4 years $56m ($40m guaranteed (6th highest paid CB))

Jones gets a similar contract to Kyle Fuller. I think Jones is worth the investment. He is a perfect fit to Matt Eburflus' defensive scheme.  With Desir being banged up all of last year and Wilson out of favor, the Colts are light on outside corners in a defense that doesn't produce great pass rush.

Hunter Henry (LAR) - 3 years $24m ($20m guaranteed)

Colts need a good TE that is best in space, but also is a willing blocker with Reich being committed to the run. Henry is a good fit for the Colts and will give Reich a nice TE tandem in Doyle and Henry.

Jordan Phillips (BUF) - 3 years $21m ($10m guaranteed)

While Phillips is a bit of a one season wonder, getting 9.5 sacks in 2019 was still quite something. He is 6'6, 342lbs and is a perfect fit for the nose tackle in the Colts defense that can generate interior pressure. I think we should take a chance on him.

Pre NFL Draft Cap Space: $38,307,524 

NFL Draft

Here is what i did on the Draft Network site:

image.thumb.png.6bf69b7191937f376766fcd9b06d555c.png

Round 1 - Pick 13: Jordan Love, QB, Utah State

While I'm not as high on Love as others on this site, I do think there are enough tools to work with Love for him to be a franchise QB. I think if the Colts draft him, Reich will still have Brissett as the QB1 next year. Love has alot of work to do on decision making and going through his progressions. But he is a wonderful playmaker, that throws with excellent touch and can use his feet well. 

Round 2 - Pick 34: Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State

I accept he could be taken at the end of round 1, but the talk among NFL scouts in Mobile was that he was a raw 2nd round prospect. YGM is a player with great H/W/S traits but is still a very raw pass rusher. However, I see him with his size as Sheard's replacement at left DE, given he is a good run defender with a big tackle radius.

Round 2 - Pick 44: Ross Blacklock, DT, TCU

I like Blacklock, he has had his injury problems, but he is a good player. While his production has been modest at TCU, he mostly lined up at zero taking on double teams. He shows good anchor against the run and has good hands in generating interior pressure. I think in our gap penetrating scheme, he could excellent at 3 tech will his size and hands.

Round 3 - Pick 75: Denzel Mims, WR, Baylor

Mims rose on everyone's board in the senior bowl. He has great size at 6'3, great contested catch ability and has a track background. What he impressed the most at the senior bowl was his route-running. I think the Colts need two receivers this offseason. A physical boundary receiver and someone who can stretch the field. Funchess is re-signed to be the former and Mims will give the Colts a legit deep thread on the outside.

Round 4 - Pick 122: Antonio Gibson, RB, Memphis

People probably won't see RB as much of a need, and I don't either, but I just love watching this kid play. A true explosive playmaker. Ballard said that getting explosive playmakers does't just mean at the WR position. Gibson will convert from a WR to a RB, but he has good size at 6'1 and 221lbs to play the position. He has a great senior bowl too. I think he will be taken in the draft around here similar to Jalyen Samuels, Nyheim Hines and Tony Pollard.

Round 5 - Pick 142: Julian Blackmon, S, UCF

Blackmon is a converted CB that has made the transition well demonstrating good tackling at the position. I think one of the needs for the Colts is getting a good coverage safety that can cover tight-ends as Wilson doesn't seem to be able to make the team any more.

Round 6 

BPA

Round 7

BPA

Total Spent on NFL Draft Signings = $12m

Final Cap Space: $26,307,524 

Roster (may be forgetting someone):

Offense -

QB - Brissett, Love

RB - Mack, Hines, Gibson, Wilkins

WR - TY, Funchess, Campbell, Mims, Pascal, Fountain

TE - Doyle, Henry, Allie-Cox

T - Castanzo, Smith, Clark

G - Nelson, Glowinski, Haeg, Patterson

C - Kelly, Andrews

Defense-

LDE - Gross-Matos, Lewis, Muhammad

DT - Autry, Blacklock

NT - Phillips, Steward

RDE - Houston, Turay, Banogu

SAM - Okereke, Adams

MIKE - Walker, Franklin

WILL - Leonard, Speed

CB - Jones, Desir, Ya-Sin, Tell, Wilson

Nickle - Moore

S - Hooker, Willis, Odum, Blackmon

Special Teams:

LS - Rhodes

K - McLaughlin

P - Sanchez

Overall, on offense, I tried to fix the passing game by signing Funchess and Henry and then drafting Love and Mims to help give Reich more depth and a better assortment of recivers. On defense, I think by bring in Phillips, Blacklock and Gross-Matos, it will upgrade the d-line and give us more pass rush. Also Jones will be a big help in the secondary.

Let me know your taughts please, thanks for reading! :thmup:

CO

• Like 5

I like most of it. YGM won't be there IMO at that pick. Also, wouldn't go with a RB at all. 

I like Gibson, but he's a tweener APB. We're not going to carry two of those on the roster with Hines. If there's a RB need, it's power back, and I'd go AJ Dillon late rounds for that. That early, I'd definitely look for an OT rather than RB.

I'm good with the FAs except for TE. Too much of an injury history. Unless the contract is very very Colts friendly. I think MAC deserves a chance to be the detached TE guy. 

• Like 2

I like Mims in the 3rd but I'm not a fan of your second rounders, Even if we resign Anthony Gonzalez we have to address the future of the LT position(which will also help our depth), and I think there are some good development players like PRINCE TEGA WANOGHO using pick 44 who can develop into a starter

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zoltan said:

I like Mims in the 3rd but I'm not a fan of your second rounders, Even if we resign Anthony Gonzalez we have to address the future of the LT position(which will also help our depth), and I think there are some good development players like PRINCE TEGA WANOGHO using pick 44 who can develop into a starter

"Gonzalez?"

We just paid Desir and Kenny and drafted a CB. I can't see us making that bug of an investment. The chargers would likely tag Henry before they let him go. Phillips is interesting, but I'm worried about signing someone without much of a track record. 

• Like 1

As much as I am really not for picking Love at 13, the rest of the offseason is pretty nice. Well done. I think YGM could slip to 34, and if so he has to be the top option there, and I really like Mims and Blacklock as well. I love Gibson, but would take him a couple of rounds later, as the need isn't really there. Jordan Phillips is a very interesting add in FA, and one that hasn't been talked about much, but I think that he could definitely be a nice addition up front. Henry, as others have mentioned, has a concerning injury history, so I would only do it on a team friendly deal, and Jones isn't a need so much at CB, but wouldn't be a bad add. I would try to get Clowney or Amari Cooper over Jones if either are available, but he's not a bad pick up if we have to spend the money and he's our best option.

• Like 1

Not a fan of Gibson there, and would probably rather do an OT at 34 rather than YGM.  I am also not sold on Love, but as a "mock" it would be fair to assume the coaches love him.  The free agency is what I love most here. Outside of Chris Jones, Byron Jones is probably top choice. He would have familiarity with Eberflus and while I know we have made some investments in CB recently, it's not showing clear dividends and it would be nice to not have to worry about this group as much, especially if injuries set in. Our pass defences was an issue last year and it's not just because our pass rush or D-line. We could use an upgrade and Jones is an above average option who has shown flashes he can be even greater than good. Great mock, it's my favorite of the year so far. Fixes our top areas nicely, like I said I would just love to see OT depth/development get addressed.

• Like 1