Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The boldest QB move for Ballard!

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

No college QB is elite until they actually play a game in the NFL. All we can do is predict.Bottom line this fanbase is spoiled with the number one pick for a QB twice. We are never going to get the top one or two QB.  We don’t need a elite QB. Just a very good one. Then you never know what will happen after they start playing. 

To add, there are several elite QBs in the league now, that were not considered elite coming into the draft... Out of the top third of the league in QBRs this season, there's as many "not-sure-things" as there are "elite" lol...

This whole fear of drafting, or reaching is a little silly. Below are the top 3rd of the league in QBR, which includes most of the playoff QBs this year. Some notes on the group, then the detail for each farther below..... 

1) The average of their draft position is 56th, which would be late second round.

2) Only 4 of 11 were taken top 10. 1 of those benched, and only one made the playoffs

3) 5 of the 11, were taken after the 1st round... 

QBR Rank / Name / Draft Position / Post Season

1. Lamar Jackson / R1-32 / Playoffs

Note - was told he should change positions, now likely MVP

2. P Mahomes / R1-10 / Playoffs

Note - was considered a mid to late round pick before KC "reached" for what many pros called a "scheme" QB

3. D Brees / R2-32 overall / Playoffs

Note - was considered to be a mid to early second rounder due to height. We all know of his career.

4. D Prescott / R4 and 135 overall / Should have been playoffs lol

Note - was an afterthought. Pros said he lacked mechanics, poise, and quickness...

5. R Wilson / R3 - 75th overall / Playoffs

Note - Pros criticized Seattle for picking him even in the 3rd round

6. M Stafford / R1-1 / Missed playoffs

Note - he was the assumed #1, and went #1

7. D Watson / R1-12 / Playoffs

Note - he was the 3rd QB taken behind Trubisky and Mahomes

8. R Fitzpatrick / R7 - 250th overall / Missed playoffs

Note - Probably only drafted because he almost aced the Wonderlic

9. D Carr / R1-1 / Missed Playoffs

10. C Wentz / R1-2 / Benched for the Stache

Note - Too early to say bust, but not working out so well

11. J Garoppolo / R2 - 62 / Playing for a SB

Note - Some call him a game manager, but hes 11th in QBR.... 

4 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

That is a great way to get fired. It’s ond thing if we try and get a guy in the draft and  one just doesn’t fall to us or we can’t find anyone to move up to. It’s another to completely ignore the position. Ballard said if there is a upgrade they will upgrade.

Maybe just maybe the Colts have evaluated the qbs and they view them all as later round talent.  I am going to simplify this

Burrows: fantastic year but one year wonder

Herbert: played in an offense that does not translate to success in the NFL

Tua: very injury prone and played with elite players, so difficult to assess.

Love: very bad 2019 year and threw a lot of picks

Yes, I over simplified it, but maybe none of these qbs r worthy of a top 20 pick based on the Colts evalutions. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Maybe just maybe the Colts have evaluated the qbs and they view them all as later round talent.  I am going to simplify this

Burrows: fantastic year but one year wonder

Herbert: played in an offense that does not translate to success in the NFL

Tua: very injury prone and played with elite players, so difficult to assess.

Love: very bad 2019 year and threw a lot of picks

Yes, I over simplified it, but maybe none of these qbs r worthy of a top 20 pick based on the Colts evalutions. 

i think you misunderstood my comment. I was talking about ignoring it if they are sold on a QB. It’s a entire different ball game if they don’t like one or  simply isn’t there at 13.  The facts are we don’t know what they are thinking. Or how these guys are conducting themselves in interviews. I imagine Brian decker is going to be really involved with these interviews.

Analyst has said they think the Oregon offense held him back. With Reich wanting a quick hitting offense and running game Herbert fits really well. Very similiar to his Oregon offense.

7 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Also, can we at least agree that it does make it harder to evaluate JB with all the missing pieces that he was dealing with at the end of the year.  That being said, I have no problem if they aren't sold on JB and they were to move up for a QB they loved.

Solid take. I trust that the guys making this decision know a lot more about QB evaluation than I do. I know they will do what they believe is best for the team. If it's JB, so be it. If they think someone else gives the team a better chance to win, that works too. When next season comes, I will be rooting for whoever it is.

8 hours ago, Archer said:

I’m starting to think that Ballard might do the boldest thing we could think of at QB: absolutely nothing.

We know he loves Brissett.  After seven starts, JB’s Colts were 5-2, and CB was looking smart because JB looked like an above-average QB.  Then, the knee injury happened, Hoyer couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn, and the JB looked very poor when he returned.

So, next year, does JB look like his first seven starts or his last seven starts?  I bet Ballard’s as curious as we are.  But, wait!  There’s more!  Apparently, CB loves him some Chad Kelly.  If we end up getting latter-day Brissett, maybe Kelly in Season 3 is ready to be the man.  If either of those things happen, then CB can look like a genius for filling other needs well in the first two days of the draft.

Also, as someone here pointed out recently, Hoyer’s true value may be in helping JB prepare for games (and possibly help in game day adjustments).  If that’s the case, anyone we draft would probably not make the team, as we already have three expected to make the roster.  So, why even draft someone late?  I’m finding this scenario increasingly likely.  And with everyone assuming we’re after a QB, it would indeed be a bold course of action.

Feel free to tell me how much of an 1d!0t I am - I can take it!

May not only be the boldest but possibly the dumbest. Best way for Ballard and crew to get a one way ticket out of town. QB has been, still is and will always be the most important position in football. It's the engine that makes the car go. No matter how much lipstick you put on the pig, you will never make it pretty.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

May not only be the boldest but possibly the dumbest. Best way for Ballard and crew to get a one way ticket out of town. QB has been, still is and will always be the most important position in football. It's the engine that makes the car go. No matter how much lipstick you put on the pig, you will never make it pretty.

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, WarGhost21 said:

Couldn’t have said it better. This fan base is so obsessed with replacing Brisset that they are willing to overlook the fact that Love isn’t Elite. He’s a decent project QB, but at most I could see him scraping into the top half of the leagues QBs if he reaches full potential. Next years class is better, IMO, and the only QBs I would consider in the first next year from this class is Burrow and a healthy Tua, both in the mid-late first. We want a QB so badly that we aren’t looking at how bad the class is 

I’ve been saying the exact same thing since September! Glad I’m not the only one

• Like 2

I think it all depends on how the board falls.  And we don't even know what rankings overall the Colts have on these QB's.  But if one they like isn't available then sure I could see that.  There's NO need to reach for a guy just because his position is needed.  That kills a team.  I will continue to say it:  BPA.  If that happens to be a QB, then so be it.

13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

1) The average of their draft position is 56th, which would be late second round.

2) Only 4 of 11 were taken top 10. 1 of those benched, and only one made the playoffs

3) 5 of the 11, were taken after the 1st round... 

9. D Carr / R1-1 / Missed Playoffs

You are confusing Derek Carr with David Carr's draft position here.  Might want to update your stats.

15 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

No college QB is elite until they actually play a game in the NFL. All we can do is predict.Bottom line this fanbase is spoiled with the number one pick for a QB twice. We are never going to get the top one or two QB.  We don’t need a elite QB. Just a very good one. Then you never know what will happen after they start playing. 

Can we offer you a dish of CK? You have described it to a tee!

13 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

I agree that the qb is the engine that makes the car go.  However,if u don't have any wheels u ain't going no where.

I’ve come to the conclusion that there is almost zero chance that Ballard comes out of this draft with a QB in the first 2 rounds. Here’s why:

-Ballard says the jury is still out on Brissett, but we all know that the verdict is in. The jury is never still out on elite QBs. And that’s what the Colts need. Ballard has already decided that he is going to upgrade Jacoby if the opportunity presents itself.

-He’s in prime QB drafting territory at 13 plus has additional ammo to move up. There are 4 QBs that experts have said are consensus 1st round picks. If you try and wait until next year you won’t have a shot at Lawrence and Fields unless you only win like 2-5 games. If not you end up having to trade a boatload of picks to move up

-Sticking with a mediocre QB for too long is how teams end up toiling away in obscurity for years. Ballard likely wants to find an answer quickly.

-I don’t think FA is an option. He’s a fan of building through the draft. Youth. He’s not bringing in a 37-40 year old for 2 years. Plus a veteran QB isn’t coming to sit on the bench. You’d have to move on from Brissett and I don’t see them doing that yet.

-More than enough info to suggest that he’s been looking at QBs for awhile now. It’s not smoke and mirrors.

-Brissett is not a fit for Reich’s offense. And we know Ballard takes scheme fit very seriously. He’s traded, released, and cut guys in the past for not fitting the scheme

- This team has playoff level talent. If he can add a QB now and let him sit, you can go into 2021 as a legit contender. And that seems to be his MO. Go into the season without glaring holes.

-Need an answer for Jacoby. It’s clear they don’t think much of Chad Kelly. So if Brissett starts to stink it up again, you need someone to come in and give you hope if you’re not eliminated from post season at that point

-It’s highly unlikely that Brissett will get better. He’s 27 and been in the league long enough to have developed. He’s hit his ceiling. You may win more games next season but not because Jacoby got better. He simply doesn’t elevate the team

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

17 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I’ve come to the conclusion that there is almost zero chance that Ballard comes out of this draft with a QB in the first 2 rounds. Here’s why:

Seems like you meant "there is almost zero chance Ballard comes out of the draft WITHTOUT a QB".

But yeah, I agree a lot with what you wrote as your justification. I think it's possible he comes out of the draft without a QB, but it won't be for lack of trying. It will be either because he doesn't like one or because he can't get in position to get the guy he likes. 

15 minutes ago, stitches said:

Seems like you meant "there is almost zero chance Ballard comes out of the draft WITHTOUT a QB".

But yeah, I agree a lot with what you wrote as your justification. I think it's possible he comes out of the draft without a QB, but it won't be for lack of trying. It will be either because he doesn't like one or because he can't get in position to get the guy he likes. 

Yes I meant without. Lol

6 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I agree that the qb is the engine that makes the car go.  However,if u don't have any wheels u ain't going no where.

Wheels don't seem to bad. Top 5 OL and one of the best running games, 2 all pro TEs in Doyle and Ebron who was all pro last year. Decent receivers that were banged up this year but I would say the wheels are pretty darn good.

1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

Wheels don't seem to bad. Top 5 OL and one of the best running games, 2 all pro TEs in Doyle and Ebron who was all pro last year. Decent receivers that were banged up this year but I would say the wheels are pretty darn good.

Woohoo.....slow the train.  Tons of assets in the O line. Doyle is not an all pro.  He is a good tight end and nothing more.  The D tackles r old and need serious up grading.  The receiving group is umproven, several coming back from injury and Hilton mayb on his last legs.  The linebackers are light and a liability against the run. Our top #15 in the draft free safety regressed.  I am not as positive as u when it comes to the core of this team. We could really go any where with our 13th pick and that is some what alarming.  The corners die not play all that well last year. Albeit one was a rookie and Deshir was hurt.  This is why I don't think we should b trading up for a qb.  The Colts have many holes

11 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Woohoo.....slow the train.  Tons of assets in the O line. Doyle is not an all pro.  He is a good tight end and nothing more.  The D tackles r old and need serious up grading.  The receiving group is umproven, several coming back from injury and Hilton mayb on his last legs.  The linebackers are light and a liability against the run. Our top #15 in the draft free safety regressed.  I am not as positive as u when it comes to the core of this team. We could really go any where with our 13th pick and that is some what alarming.  The corners die not play all that well last year. Albeit one was a rookie and Deshir was hurt.  This is why I don't think we should b trading up for a qb.  The Colts have many holes

The right quarterback can win you a lot of games while your fixing other areas.  We also have FA before the draft. 

25 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

Agreed, the right qb can win u a lot of games.  However, when u don't have that guy it sure shows the lsck of talent on your roster.

It does. That’s why I have kind of changed my mind that if they are sold on a QB they have to try and do everything to get them. Start at the QB position. Plus if they decide to sit a rookie for a year that gives us two drafts and two FA periods to make this team better before they start. Don’t delay the Qb if they believe there is one there. 

still think if an elite LT or WR is available that's where Ballard might go....or maybe even a pass rusher, if one's there at #13

saw Love in person vs a pretty bad defense...barely over 50% in completions and one pick...meh. That some (not all) scouts like him better than Herbert tells me more about Herbert than it does about Love.

On 1/31/2020 at 3:31 PM, Coffeedrinker said:

My word, I hope this happens.  I don't want to be on this board when Love is available and the Colts DON'T draft him.

Then no matter how good the Colts QB does, we will have to read on this forum for a couple of years how the Colts should have drafted Love.

The headlines write themselves though! "From down on their Luck to true Love" 

18 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

-Ballard says the jury is still out on Brissett, but we all know that the verdict is in. The jury is never still out on elite QBs. And that’s what the Colts need. Ballard has already decided that he is going to upgrade Jacoby if the opportunity presents itself.

-He’s in prime QB drafting territory at 13 plus has additional ammo to move up. There are 4 QBs that experts have said are consensus 1st round picks. If you try and wait until next year you won’t have a shot at Lawrence and Fields unless you only win like 2-5 games. If not you end up having to trade a boatload of picks to move up

-Sticking with a mediocre QB for too long is how teams end up toiling away in obscurity for years. Ballard likely wants to find an answer quickly.

-I don’t think FA is an option. He’s a fan of building through the draft. Youth. He’s not bringing in a 37-40 year old for 2 years. Plus a veteran QB isn’t coming to sit on the bench. You’d have to move on from Brissett and I don’t see them doing that yet.

-More than enough info to suggest that he’s been looking at QBs for awhile now. It’s not smoke and mirrors.

-Brissett is not a fit for Reich’s offense. And we know Ballard takes scheme fit very seriously. He’s traded, released, and cut guys in the past for not fitting the scheme

- This team has playoff level talent. If he can add a QB now and let him sit, you can go into 2021 as a legit contender. And that seems to be his MO. Go into the season without glaring holes.

-Need an answer for Jacoby. It’s clear they don’t think much of Chad Kelly. So if Brissett starts to stink it up again, you need someone to come in and give you hope if you’re not eliminated from post season at that point

-It’s highly unlikely that Brissett will get better. He’s 27 and been in the league long enough to have developed. He’s hit his ceiling. You may win more games next season but not because Jacoby got better. He simply doesn’t elevate the team

To the bolded ... There is absolutely no way you can say this as fact. You actually, like myself, have not a clue what they think. What i see from this statement is a personal bias toward CK and nothing else. 

19 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Confusing - you say there’s no chance we draft a QB in the first two rounds, and your justification is a bunch of reasons we should...

On 1/31/2020 at 5:45 PM, WarGhost21 said:

Couldn’t have said it better. This fan base is so obsessed with replacing Brisset that they are willing to overlook the fact that Love isn’t Elite. He’s a decent project QB, but at most I could see him scraping into the top half of the leagues QBs if he reaches full potential. Next years class is better, IMO, and the only QBs I would consider in the first next year from this class is Burrow and a healthy Tua, both in the mid-late first. We want a QB so badly that we aren’t looking at how bad the class is 

Totally agree about next yr.

Jaime Newman transferred to Georgia and I think he is going to be good

There are worse things than staying put right now. If JB improves things are great. If he does poorly, they'll be in the same position next year to get someone. 

That said if someone they covet is there, ho get him. 

On 1/31/2020 at 11:59 PM, Archer said:

I know, a lotta people Putin’ lipstick on a pig named Love...

I think we will find out CBs true feelings on Love in 3 months

Im split

He is a project.  

A project that may turn out well, ....... or not

I dont see a lock in the kid

But..... he DOES some amazing things...... to go along with some poor decisions

I trust the scouting dept.......

1 hour ago, WifiGuy said:

Totally agree about next yr.

Jaime Newman transferred to Georgia and I think he is going to be good

So an interesting point was brought up by Kevin Bowen when he was a guest on the Locked on Colts podcast. Well more of a scenario actually.

He said suppose you do wait till next year. Maybe you do win more games and go 10-6. At that point you’re drafting in the 20s. You’re  way out of QB range and now have to mortgage a bunch of draft capital to move up for a QB. More capital than you’d have to give up this year if you wanted to move up.

Thats why I’m always against “waiting till next year”.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

So an interesting point was brought up by Kevin Bowen when he was a guest on the Locked on Colts podcast. Well more of a scenario actually.

He said suppose you do wait till next year. Maybe you do win more games and go 10-6. At that point you’re drafting in the 20s. You’re  way out of QB range and now have to mortgage a bunch of draft capital to move up for a QB. More capital than you’d have to give up this year if you wanted to move up.

Yea Ive thought about that too and its a good point

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Or trade for next yrs 1st to a team that currently "seems" set at QB to bundle picks to move up.   Again not a sure thing

We all have opinions. I liked JB n gave break to him til the game against Saints. Missing WR that are wide open and line was giving him ample time. And I also think its between ears. If Love is thought to be so good he won't make past 5 . If Ballard and Reich fall in LOVE! They will do what needs too be done! Free Agency will tell us a lot !!!