Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The boldest QB move for Ballard!

I’m starting to think that Ballard might do the boldest thing we could think of at QB: absolutely nothing.

We know he loves Brissett.  After seven starts, JB’s Colts were 5-2, and CB was looking smart because JB looked like an above-average QB.  Then, the knee injury happened, Hoyer couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn, and the JB looked very poor when he returned.

So, next year, does JB look like his first seven starts or his last seven starts?  I bet Ballard’s as curious as we are.  But, wait!  There’s more!  Apparently, CB loves him some Chad Kelly.  If we end up getting latter-day Brissett, maybe Kelly in Season 3 is ready to be the man.  If either of those things happen, then CB can look like a genius for filling other needs well in the first two days of the draft.

Also, as someone here pointed out recently, Hoyer’s true value may be in helping JB prepare for games (and possibly help in game day adjustments).  If that’s the case, anyone we draft would probably not make the team, as we already have three expected to make the roster.  So, why even draft someone late?  I’m finding this scenario increasingly likely.  And with everyone assuming we’re after a QB, it would indeed be a bold course of action.

Feel free to tell me how much of an 1d!0t I am - I can take it!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This would be fine with me...use our picks to address our needs, add depth.Add some FA signings and then we see what JB can do.

If he is the QB we saw the last 7 games, or something similar, then we give Kelly a shot to show something.  If those two don't deliver, then we explore FA quarterbacks next year.

I would think with an average JB, we could make the playoffs with an improved roster and would think we'll add skill players via the draft and FA to help him succeed.

• Like 3

Interesting perspective. I would say this.  It is easy to play QB when you have a dominant offensive line and running attack.  Look over the years at guys like David Garrard on the Jaquars.  Or even back to Trent Dilfer winning Super Bowl with Ravens.  I think any mid level QB would have have had Colts at 5-2 at that point.  I don't think Brissett was good and then he got bad. I think he was always below average.  

So I think it would be a mistake to roll Brissett out there again.  I would prefer sign Rivers, trade Brissett, draft Fromm/Gordon.  And give Kelly a real shot.  Cream will rise to top.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

What’s the name of the Jets practice squad QB?  I’ll check him out.

That's the great Luke Falk. The last paragraph of my post was heavy sarcasm, but yeah... I'm really frustrated and exasperated by the unwillingness of people to look for a franchise QB and give up value to find the next QB, when Brissett is so obviously not it.

Apologies to @Archer for being kind of deuchy. 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Interesting perspective. I would say this.  It is easy to play QB when you have a dominant offensive line and running attack.  Look over the years at guys like David Garrard on the Jaquars.  Or even back to Trent Dilfer winning Super Bowl with Ravens.  I think any mid level QB would have have had Colts at 5-2 at that point.  I don't think Brissett was good and then he got bad. I think he was always below average.  

I’ve been thinking about this too since Tennessee’s playoff run.  A dominant run game and a quality D can take you far.  On O, what we were lacking last year to implement that kind of strategy was a passing game that could take advantage of those times that Ds stuff eight men in the box.  If someone blames that all on JB, then I see why he may want him gone.  But, JB does two things really well for that game plan - he takes care of the football and doesn’t take negative plays.  If he didn’t have a knee injury and zero productive WRs in the second half of the season, I’d be ready to dump Brissett too.  But as of now, l want to make sure we’re not wasting an opportunity with him.  Also, Love would be a QB for a totally different type of system.  He may be a big play maker at QB, but that’ll lead to turnovers, like he had tons of last year...

5 minutes ago, stitches said:

No apologies necessary!  I said I could take it.  I think we’ve had two Franchise QBs fall into our laps, and maybe we don’t realize how hard it is to find and develop one.  I wouldn’t mind having someone like Love on the roster developing, but I think many people have talked themselves into believing he’s a Franchise QB.  Bad value at 13, and most years there’s something way better in that 2nd tier...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, stitches said:

That's the great Luke Falk. The last paragraph of my post was heavy sarcasm, but yeah... I'm really frustrated and exasperated by the unwillingness of people to look for a franchise QB and give up value to find the next QB, when Brissett is so obviously not it.

I totally get where your coming from and as you know, I am a known JB supporter.  I think the point that he is making is that I would hate for everything to click for JB next year and drafted a guy at 13, when we could have a gamebreaker at another position of need. 

Also, can we at least agree that it does make it harder to evaluate JB with all the missing pieces that he was dealing with at the end of the year.  That being said, I have no problem if they aren't sold on JB and they were to move up for a QB they loved.  I do disagree that the best QBs are at the top of the draft.  The draft is littered with QB bust in the top 10 and the first round.

I think we can all agree that there are those of us that feel JB has shown enough to say he not a above average QB and those that would like to see a little more before making that determination.

7 minutes ago, Archer said:

No apologies necessary!  I said I could take it.  I think we’ve had two Franchise QBs fall into our laps, and maybe we don’t realize how hard it is to find and develop one.  I wouldn’t mind having someone like Love on the roster developing, but I think many people have talked themselves into believing he’s a Franchise QB.  Bad value at 13, and most years there’s something way better in that 2nd tier...

I disagree he's bad value at 13. And I disagree most years you can get anyone close to that level of talent at 13. I actually think you won't be able to get him at 13 either. Most likely we will have to trade up to get him or someone else will get him. Players like Daniel Jones, Josh Allen, etc. are worse prospects than Love is and if they can go in the top 10, I see no reason Love wouldn't especially in a year so many teams need a QB. 

There are already reports that scouts overwhelmingly like Love better than Herbert. Greg Cosell came out and said he likes Love better than Herbert. Daniel Jeremiah has Love over Herbert on his big board, etc. I expect by draft time both of them would be looked at as a surefire top 15 picks and most probably top 10. 

I guess we will see at draft time. Anyways... Cheers :cheers:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I totally get where your coming from and as you know, I am a known JB supporter.  I think the point that he is making is that I would hate for everything to click for JB next year and drafted a guy at 13, when we could have a gamebreaker at another position of need. 

Also, can we at least agree that it does make it harder to evaluate JB with all the missing pieces that he was dealing with at the end of the year.  That being said, I have no problem if they aren't sold on JB and they were to move up for a QB they loved.  I do disagree that the best QBs are at the top of the draft.  The draft is littered with QB bust in the top 10 and the first round.

I think we can all agree that there are those of us that feel JB has shown enough to say he not a above average QB and those that would like to see a little more before making that determination.

Sigh...

9 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

No we don't.  If he truly did, he'd have signed him to to longer than 2020 and or paid him at least as much if not more than he did in his extension.

You are correct, but Ballard is super smart, even if he knows he will not draft a QB at 13, he won't say anything, you never know who might offer you a ton to jump up there and take someone.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

You are correct, but Ballard is super smart, even if he knows he will not draft a QB at 13, he won't say anything, you never know who might offer you a ton to jump up there and take someone.

True dat!  My first round mock now has TB jumping ahead of us to get Love.  It would help us out IMO...

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, FalseStart said:

Minute 17:00 to 21:00... 

Thanks for posting.  I re-watched that portion, and it sounded quite a bit like he was alluding to needing better WR depth last year.  If he sees that as a major reason for Brissett’s decline, one could see that part as a sign that he wants to give JB more of a chance...

• Like 1

The narrative that JBs game changed after his knee injury is a misnomer.  The truth is The Denver game before his knee injury, outside of 1 play he looked pretty terrible.  He did very little to help the Colts beat the Chiefs two weeks prior to that.  And even though he threw 3 TDs (which is great don't get me wrong) in the Raiders game, he struggled most of that game and he hadpasses on 12 third downs passes but only converted 4 of those into 1st downs.

The issue for Brissett was not his knee.  It was more a factor of teams having enough tape on him and figured to take away his short routes because he was not going to throw deep very often, that is one of the major reasons why you saw the amount of time he held onto the ball increase each week.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Archer said:

True dat!  My first round mock now has TB jumping ahead of us to get Love.  It would help us out IMO...

My word, I hope this happens.  I don't want to be on this board when Love is available and the Colts DON'T draft him.

Then no matter how good the Colts QB does, we will have to read on this forum for a couple of years how the Colts should have drafted Love.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

My word, I hope this happens.  I don't want to be on this board when Love is available and the Colts DON'T draft him.

Then no matter how good the Colts QB does, we will have to read on this forum for a couple of years how the Colts should have drafted Love.

Or Herbert... or Eason... or Fromm... or Gordon...

If any QB that we don't select goes on to blow up, there will be those that are going to blame Ballard for not getting them because they just KNEW that QB was a stud and if Ballard couldn't see that then he's garbage. haha

• Like 1

Just now, CheezyColt said:

If any QB that we don't select goes on to blow up, there will be those that are going to blame Ballard for not getting them because they just KNEW that QB was a stud and if Ballard couldn't see that then he's garbage. haha

:)  Most definitely.

Although I am one that does not think Love is going to blow up in the NFL.

• Like 1

Well, it seems I’m Alone Again thinking that It’s Not Love for us.  In My Dreams, Brissett is Heaven Sent, but perhaps I’m being a Dream Warrior.   For now, I’m a Prisoner (chained by Love), but I hope we’re Breaking the Chains come draft time and 2020 will have us all feeling we Just Got Lucky.  (That was for you @Dokken -a big Don Dokken fan.  That’s why this post makes no sense.)

Healthy receivers would've helped too...the Colts were a glue factory at receiver this past year. 

Now that doesn't absolve JB from his weaknesses which have been gone over repeatedly. 

He does have elite pocket mobility and movement which is very nice...his issues seem to be between his ears regarding mental processing.  I wonder if over thinks some things and that delays his release. That and the tunnel vision he gets too. 

That said...having a stout defense(which the Colts are getting closer on) and a stout running game(which the Colts currently have) will take this team far. They just need JB to be efficient and make plays from time to time to keep the D honest and not stack the line. 

12 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Believe it or not I will be OK with it. My plea has been that we go get the QB Ballard likes. I don't want him to take my favorite QB... although I would be ecstatic if he did. And if he passes on Love it will be more than obvious that he didn't like him, which again I will be perfectly fine with. I can live with that. What I don't want to live with is TB jumping us to take him and then leaks coming out of the Colts that they loved Love and were going to take him. This one would hurt, especially if he pans out. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

Healthy receivers would've helped too...the Colts were a glue factory at receiver this past year. 

Now that doesn't absolve JB from his weaknesses which have been gone over repeatedly. 

He does have elite pocket mobility and movement which is very nice...his issues seem to be between his ears regarding mental processing.  I wonder if over thinks some things and that delays his release. That and the tunnel vision he gets too. 

Could of just been a confidence issue. I have no doubt he will improve with everyone healthy and a couple upgrades. But is he going to improve enough to get us where we want to go.

7 minutes ago, Archer said:

Well, it seems I’m Alone Again thinking that It’s Not Love for us.  In My Dreams, Brissett is Heaven Sent, but perhaps I’m being a Dream Warrior.   For now, I’m a Prisoner (chained by Love), but I hope we’re Breaking the Chains come draft time and 2020 will have us all feeling we Just Got Lucky.  (That was for you @Dokken -a big Don Dokken fan.  That’s why this post makes no sense.)

It might not be Love. We really don’t know what they are thinking. I just trust what ever happens they have done the right thing. 

16 minutes ago, CheezyColt said:

If that happens and we are still struggling at QB I think the anger will be justified. Especially if he had them right there to pick.

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Believe it or not I will be OK with it. My plea has been that we go get the QB Ballard likes. I don't want him to take my favorite QB... although I would be ecstatic if he did. And if he passes on Love it will be more than obvious that he didn't like him, which again I will be perfectly fine with. I can live with that. What I don't want to live with is TB jumping us to take him and then leaks coming out of the Colts that they loved Love and were going to take him. This one would hurt, especially if he pans out. 

Okay, Let me ask you this.  You say that you are ok with Ballard getting the QB he likes.  What if that is Gordon or Hurts in round 2-3.  Are you still okay or does it have to be him getting his guy in the 1st round?

1 minute ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Okay, Let me ask you this.  You say that you are ok with Ballard getting the QB he likes.  What if that is Gordon or Hurts in round 2-3.  Are you still okay or does it have to be him getting his guy in the 1st round?

I don't like either of them in the 2nd. In general I don't like the strategy(again - because there is a reason those QBs fall and it's not that they are as good as the 1st round prospects). But I will be OK with it. I definitely won't be excited. I'd chalk it as a wild shot on a QB, which I'm not a fan of at a time when you don't have a franchise QB, but I can live with it. 

In general my level of satisfaction would be

Burrow>Love, Tua, Herbert>Fromm, Eason(2nd round)>Eason(1st)>no QB>Gordon, Hurts(3d or later)>Gordon,Hurts(2nd)>other QB later

But I would be OK with all of them really. Just different levels of OK... from exuberance(Burrow, Love, Tua, Herbert) to indifference(later round QB). 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

No doubting that at all.  It's misinformation season after all!  

2 hours ago, Archer said:

I’m starting to think that Ballard might do the boldest thing we could think of at QB: absolutely nothing.

We know he loves Brissett.  After seven starts, JB’s Colts were 5-2, and CB was looking smart because JB looked like an above-average QB.  Then, the knee injury happened, Hoyer couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn, and the JB looked very poor when he returned.

So, next year, does JB look like his first seven starts or his last seven starts?  I bet Ballard’s as curious as we are.  But, wait!  There’s more!  Apparently, CB loves him some Chad Kelly.  If we end up getting latter-day Brissett, maybe Kelly in Season 3 is ready to be the man.  If either of those things happen, then CB can look like a genius for filling other needs well in the first two days of the draft.

Also, as someone here pointed out recently, Hoyer’s true value may be in helping JB prepare for games (and possibly help in game day adjustments).  If that’s the case, anyone we draft would probably not make the team, as we already have three expected to make the roster.  So, why even draft someone late?  I’m finding this scenario increasingly likely.  And with everyone assuming we’re after a QB, it would indeed be a bold course of action.

He looked like crap at times during the 5-2 start not the answer ballard still thinks he is he is dumber than he looks.

1 hour ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No, you'd still hear about it for years.  The conversation would just evolve a bit differently.  Instead, it'd be how we should have known someone would try to jump us and we should have traded up 2 or 3 picks to make sure we got Love.  Hindsight might be 20/20, but it seems that no one cares that information from the future isn't available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Archer said:

Boldest move would be to trade up to number 1 for Burrow. But that is too stupidly insane and expensive to do. And I hope he doesn’t even ever think of that. I think the odds of him staying pat at QB are really 50/50. Brissett can be improved upon by another QB but it’s also highly likely a rookie flames out. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Archer said:

Couldn’t have said it better. This fan base is so obsessed with replacing Brisset that they are willing to overlook the fact that Love isn’t Elite. He’s a decent project QB, but at most I could see him scraping into the top half of the leagues QBs if he reaches full potential. Next years class is better, IMO, and the only QBs I would consider in the first next year from this class is Burrow and a healthy Tua, both in the mid-late first. We want a QB so badly that we aren’t looking at how bad the class is 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

23 minutes ago, WarGhost21 said:

Couldn’t have said it better. This fan base is so obsessed with replacing Brisset that they are willing to overlook the fact that Love isn’t Elite. He’s a decent project QB, but at most I could see him scraping into the top half of the leagues QBs if he reaches full potential. Next years class is better, IMO, and the only QBs I would consider in the first next year from this class is Burrow and a healthy Tua, both in the mid-late first. We want a QB so badly that we aren’t looking at how bad the class is 

No college QB is elite until they actually play a game in the NFL. All we can do is predict.Bottom line this fanbase is spoiled with the number one pick for a QB twice. We are never going to get the top one or two QB.  We don’t need a elite QB. Just a very good one. Then you never know what will happen after they start playing.