Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

[TheDraftNetwork] How does the NFL tackle player interviews at the Senior Bowl?

I thought this is an interesting story about what teams emphasize in their interviews with players and what they are trying to learn from an insider perspective:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-scouts-senior-bowl

HOW DOES THE NFL TACKLE PLAYER INTERVIEWS AT THE SENIOR BOWL?

BY: DRAE HARRIS JANUARY 30TH, 2020

The Senior Bowl is a critical week for all participants, in one capacity or another. 

For some, it served as another opportunity to compete and solidify their draft position in the eyes of evaluators. Others needed to display the ability to play among superior competition relative to who they faced during the season. Questions of mental aptitude can be alleviated at this all-star event by how well players receive and retain professional-level instruction — while also demonstrating the ability to quickly process and apply pro concepts. And others got their first chance to address and answer questions regarding any character red flags stemming from issues in the past.

After all, this can be the first direct contact some evaluators have with some prospects. Initial impressions? They're often long-lasting in their eyes.

During these “mini-interviews,” scouts are looking for several things. Typically, after confirming all of the player’s information is correct, including Draft Day phone numbers and their agent’s information, scouts proceed to target questions regarding the player's family, upbringing and those (if any) red flags.

All of the players have been prepped, but a good scout is often able to sift through the fluff and make a sound assessment.

Over the course of the interview, the scout is attempting to assess how contrite the player is about his past transgressions. Does he appear to have matured and have learned from his mistakes? Who will be his support system when he gets in the NFL? What motivates the player? Does he genuinely love the game or does he just love what playing the game affords him? What’s the player’s natural personality like? Did he give a firm handshake and maintain direct eye contact?  Does he command the room?

During my personal tenure as an NFL scout, I would always conclude my interview by asking the player to draw up what offense/defense they are running this week — similar to what you may have seen watching Jon Gruden's QB Camp or Steve Mariucci's combine interviews. I'd then task them with explaining as many of the assignments as they can.

Ultimately, whether it is character, competitiveness or competency, these are critical questions evaluators must answer this spring. The Senior Bowl serves as one of the initial, and premiere, opportunities to do so.

With those answers, scouts are trying to assess what each player's fit will be within the culture of their respective team. Terms like “character” and “fit” are often mentioned in spring meetings and they are becoming increasingly important in today's NFL. This behind the scenes groundwork is critical.

Why? Because most evaluators miss on the person just as often as they miss on the player. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1