Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Former Colts in XFL

Caleb3502

List of all XFL who were once apart of the Colts roster (Years with Colts in Parentheses) : 

*Offseason/Practice Squad member for Colts 

RB Matt Jones, St. Louis Battlehawks (2017) 

QB Philip Walker, Houston Roughnecks (2017-2019)*

QB Josh Johnson, L.A. Wildcats (2015) 

RB Trey Williams, Seattle Dragons (2015-2016)

RB Christine Michael, St. Louis Battlehawks (2017-2018) 

CB Charles James, Houston Roughnecks (2016) 

OL De'Ondre Wesley, D.C. Defenders (2018)*

RB Marquis Young, Dallas Renegades (2019)* 

LB Tegray Scales, Dallas Renegades (2018)* 

DT Tomasi Laulile, Dallas Renegades (2018)* 

OL Ian Silberman, New York Guardians (2017, 2019) 

DT Joey Mbu, New York Guardians (2017) 

RB Keith Ford, St. Louis Battlehawks (2019)*

WR Mekale McKay, New York Guardians (2016)* 

WR Seantavius Jones, Tampa Bay Vipers (2018)*

CB Jalen Collins, Tampa Bay Vipers (2018-2019) 

WR Kasen Williams, Seattle Dragons (2018)*  

DE Deiontrez Mount, Tampa Bay Vipers (2016) 

OL Isaiah Williams, Tampa Bay Vipers (2017) 

CB Channing Stribling, Seattle Dragons (2017-2018)* 

S Tyson Graham, Seattle Dragons (2017)* 

TE Colin Jeter, Seattle Dragons (2017)* 

DE Anthony Johnson, Seattle Dragons (2017-2018) 

DT Montori Hughes, L.A. Wildcats (2013-2015) 

OL Nico Siragusa, L.A. Wildcats (2019)* 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Caleb3502 said:

List of all XFL who were once apart of the Colts roster (Years with Colts in Parentheses) : 

Of all these guys, there are a few I thought had promise in the NFL with the Colts:

Jalen Collins at CB (thought he was a good player, but got in trouble for drug violations with the Falcons a few times before we took a chance on him), Montori Hughes (thought he'd be a Grover Stewart type that took ~3-4 years to develop), Christine Michel (more as a KR than an RB, but if I remember, that guy had wheels), Matt Jones (he was a decent change-of-pace guy at RB), and Philip Walker (strictly as a back-up QB, I don't know that Hoyer is really any better than Walker was other than he's got more experience).  

16 hours ago, Caleb3502 said:

Thanks for this.

I cannot say I remember most of the names - but wish them all success.

Good to see Montori Hughes still at it. 

• Like 1

I can't get into the XFL.     

Partially due to my disappointment with the AAF failing so quickly.  I liked the style of football they played and watched many of the games.  

I also remember the last XFL debacle.  

I think I'll pass on this version.

1 hour ago, Pacergeek said:

Only names I recognize are Walker and Hughes lol. Who is Matt Jones?

Matt Jones started off with the Redskins and was decent: 1,327 total yards and 7 total TDs in two seasons. Had a knee injury 7 games into 2016, and Rob Kelley took his starting role. Only played in 5 games with the Colts and had 5 carries for 14 yards. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Myles said:

Partially due to my disappointment with the AAF failing so quickly.  I liked the style of football they played and watched many of the games.  

Probably a good idea.  XFL will fail just like AAF and so many before that.

Football is just too expensive to do at the "minor league" level.  I have said this for a while.

I remember tuning into an AAF game a little while back and they had an overhead shot of the field.  The thing was you could see all sorts of people out on the field. . . players, refs, coaches etc.  And I just kept thinking. . . everyone on that field is drawing a paycheck to be there.  And there is multiple games going on at the same time.  

Of course the stadium wasn't full and TV interest was low.  It takes a lot of money to pay all those checks.  So you better have a pretty serious source of revenue.  The NFL has that source of revenue.  The networks pay billions to broadcast their games, it's teams regularly fill their stadiums, and they sell the crap out of team gear (shirts, hats etc) and even that team gear is expensive.  

I don't know how or why people keep investing in these minor league football ideas.  It should be obvious by now that they will fail.  

• Like 1

On 1/30/2020 at 1:11 PM, AwesomeAustin said:

How long before Trent Richardson signs for a XFL team that needs 3yds a carry?

He was actually pretty good in the AAF because people were more undersized and he'd just run right thru them. I wish I was joking. Man, that was the concern I had with Trent leaving college for the NFL; it's easy to be a power back against undersized players, but once everyone gets big alongside you, suddenly, it's not much fun being a power back.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2020 at 8:57 AM, Myles said:

I will probably give this XFL a shot.  Unlike the pervious XFL, it does not sound like they are trying to create a WWE version of football.

But, I agree with @Valpo2004, the pay gap between the NFL and any other league  is too great.  Unlike when the USFL started, most players would not be set for life based on one contract, so the USFL could compete, somewhat on the pay scale.  But the toll football takes on the body is too much for 50k a year

On 1/31/2020 at 4:09 PM, Valpo2004 said:

Probably a good idea.  XFL will fail just like AAF and so many before that.

Football is just too expensive to do at the "minor league" level.  I have said this for a while.

I remember tuning into an AAF game a little while back and they had an overhead shot of the field.  The thing was you could see all sorts of people out on the field. . . players, refs, coaches etc.  And I just kept thinking. . . everyone on that field is drawing a paycheck to be there.  And there is multiple games going on at the same time.  

Of course the stadium wasn't full and TV interest was low.  It takes a lot of money to pay all those checks.  So you better have a pretty serious source of revenue.  The NFL has that source of revenue.  The networks pay billions to broadcast their games, it's teams regularly fill their stadiums, and they sell the crap out of team gear (shirts, hats etc) and even that team gear is expensive.  

I don't know how or why people keep investing in these minor league football ideas.  It should be obvious by now that they will fail.  

I’ve been an outspoke critic of the XFL since it was announced it was coming back. I’ve been a very outspoken critic of Vince McMahon for over a decade now. 

That said, I have to give credit where it’s due: 

The XFL has its ducks in a row. 

The AAF was dead in the water before they were even in the water. They started out shooting from behind the 8 ball and needed a litany of lucky breaks to have even a minuscule chance of survival. You could almost even argue that the AAF was an exercise in fraud. It was dead on arrival. 

The XFL originally stunk of a PR stunt. It was during the height of the protest bashing, and here comes Vince talking about a league where that sort of thing won’t be tolerated. Ok, sure. 

But all along this journey McMahon has done the right thing. There’s a podcast about the original XFL that is simply fantastic. If you want to get almost a first hand experience of what it was and why it went as wrong as it did it is MUST LISTEN material. It’s from one of the guys who was Vince’s right hand man at that time, Bruce Prichard. It’s episode 28 of his podcast “Something to Wrestle”. Bruce goes into amazing detail about what really went on, and you’ll be amazed at what you learn from what he has to say. 

All of those mistakes he made that time around he is avoiding this time. He’s got a great mind in Oliver Luck as commissioner. They have a very solid business plan in place. 

But most of all they have the money in place. Vince knows he’s going to have to lose money to ever make it back. And he’s prepared for that. He sold off a ton of his WWE stock, to the tune of almost 300 million dollars to begin funding this. 

He’s not walking into this needing multiple life-saving investors the way the AAF did. 

Vince also walks in with a crazy good TV deal in place. These games are getting major network coverage. Every week. The AAF had a date with CBS and then went dark. The XFL has games on ABC, Fox, or ESPN every week. And Vince is a veteran of TV deals, so you can bet he got great terms on those deals. 

The other big thing that you may wind up seeing is players skirting the NCAA and going from high school to the XFL to play until they are NFL eligible. The NCAA doesn’t want to pay the players, the XFL does. 

This iteration of the XFL is, by far, the most well rounded attempt at a spring league that has ever taken place. And Vince isn’t going to just abandon it like he did last time after a season. I think he’s going to run this league for at least 5 years sinking whatever kind of money into it that it takes to do so. (And he can. That 300 million I mentioned earlier is just startup change. Vince will throw another 500 at it no questions asked.)

Will it ultimately be successful? I honestly can see it being so if it becomes an alternative to the NCAA. Players leave high school and go to the XFL, play three years, and declare for the NFL draft. That’s not to say I don’t see it failing like all the rest. That is the likely outcome. 

But this attempt right here at starting an alternative league has the best shot at succeeding than any before it, and probably any we’ll ever see again. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I will probably give this XFL a shot.  Unlike the pervious XFL, it does not sound like they are trying to create a WWE version of football.

But, I agree with @Valpo2004, the pay gap between the NFL and any other league  is too great.  Unlike when the USFL started, most players would not be set for life based on one contract, so the USFL could compete, somewhat on the pay scale.  But the toll football takes on the body is too much for 50k a year

It's not the toll because people will play just to keep their dream alive.  

The problem is as you said the pay gap is too great.  Only way to get attention is to sign big name prospects like the USFL did.  But the pay for NFL players has increased exponentially since then.  Hershel Walker signed with the USFL for 4.1 million.  That's about 10.8 million in today's money.  But in the modern day a player with the talent of Hershel Walker would probably be looking at around 30M fully guaranteed from the NFL for his first contract alone.  

And the crazy thing is if the NFL sensed that a rival league was going to poach the top talent the NFL would just up it's rookie pay scale.  

The XFL isn't going to be signing any Heisman trophy winners right out of college.  

3 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I’ve been an outspoke critic of the XFL since it was announced it was coming back. I’ve been a very outspoken critic of Vince McMahon for over a decade now. 

That said, I have to give credit where it’s due: 

The XFL has its ducks in a row. 

The AAF was dead in the water before they were even in the water. They started out shooting from behind the 8 ball and needed a litany of lucky breaks to have even a minuscule chance of survival. You could almost even argue that the AAF was an exercise in fraud. It was dead on arrival. 

The XFL originally stunk of a PR stunt. It was during the height of the protest bashing, and here comes Vince talking about a league where that sort of thing won’t be tolerated. Ok, sure. 

But all along this journey McMahon has done the right thing. There’s a podcast about the original XFL that is simply fantastic. If you want to get almost a first hand experience of what it was and why it went as wrong as it did it is MUST LISTEN material. It’s from one of the guys who was Vince’s right hand man at that time, Bruce Prichard. It’s episode 28 of his podcast “Something to Wrestle”. Bruce goes into amazing detail about what really went on, and you’ll be amazed at what you learn from what he has to say. 

All of those mistakes he made that time around he is avoiding this time. He’s got a great mind in Oliver Luck as commissioner. They have a very solid business plan in place. 

But most of all they have the money in place. Vince knows he’s going to have to lose money to ever make it back. And he’s prepared for that. He sold off a ton of his WWE stock, to the tune of almost 300 million dollars to begin funding this. 

He’s not walking into this needing multiple life-saving investors the way the AAF did. 

Vince also walks in with a crazy good TV deal in place. These games are getting major network coverage. Every week. The AAF had a date with CBS and then went dark. The XFL has games on ABC, Fox, or ESPN every week. And Vince is a veteran of TV deals, so you can bet he got great terms on those deals. 

The other big thing that you may wind up seeing is players skirting the NCAA and going from high school to the XFL to play until they are NFL eligible. The NCAA doesn’t want to pay the players, the XFL does. 

This iteration of the XFL is, by far, the most well rounded attempt at a spring league that has ever taken place. And Vince isn’t going to just abandon it like he did last time after a season. I think he’s going to run this league for at least 5 years sinking whatever kind of money into it that it takes to do so. (And he can. That 300 million I mentioned earlier is just startup change. Vince will throw another 500 at it no questions asked.)

Will it ultimately be successful? I honestly can see it being so if it becomes an alternative to the NCAA. Players leave high school and go to the XFL, play three years, and declare for the NFL draft. That’s not to say I don’t see it failing like all the rest. That is the likely outcome. 

But this attempt right here at starting an alternative league has the best shot at succeeding than any before it, and probably any we’ll ever see again. 

The XFL might introduce some rule changes that make it to the NFL, it did that the first time around.  But it doesn't matter how well planned this attempt it, it's simply doomed to failure.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

It's not the toll because people will play just to keep their dream alive.  

The problem is as you said the pay gap is too great.  Only way to get attention is to sign big name prospects like the USFL did.  But the pay for NFL players has increased exponentially since then.  Hershel Walker signed with the USFL for 4.1 million.  That's about 10.8 million in today's money.  But in the modern day a player with the talent of Hershel Walker would probably be looking at around 30M fully guaranteed from the NFL for his first contract alone.  

And the crazy thing is if the NFL sensed that a rival league was going to poach the top talent the NFL would just up it's rookie pay scale.  

The XFL isn't going to be signing any Heisman trophy winners right out of college.  

The XFL might introduce some rule changes that make it to the NFL, it did that the first time around.  But it doesn't matter how well planned this attempt it, it's simply doomed to failure.  

I agree, it won't last more than 5 years and probably no more than 2.  But I will watch it while it lasts, because... well it's football and since I quit coaching, I really miss it.

17 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I agree, it won't last more than 5 years and probably no more than 2.  But I will watch it while it lasts, because... well it's football and since I quit coaching, I really miss it.

I think it's the assumption that we all have that sort of appetite to watch football that drives people to keep trying to create a minor league football.  

Still I don't understand why they can't see how doomed to failure these attempts are.  

The thing for me is that no other minor league or developmental league depends upon national television to make it.  Football does because it's just so darn expensive.  

Also the other thing I've noticed is that minor league teams don't usually have a "passionate" fan base.  Now granted I don't know much about baseball because I don't really follow it.  But from what I have gathered from the advertisement for the local single A minor league team (South Bend Cubs) it seems like they try to drive ticket sales by just selling the experience.  It seems to me the whole thing is mostly about just some low cost entertainment.  I know a lot of people who have gone to see the South Bend Cubs play.  I don't know anyone who's a passionate South Bend Cubs fan.  I believe they won their league several years ago, I don't remember anyone celebrating that or wearing championship T-shirts.  I doubt at any point in the season most people could even tell you their record or name the top players on the team.  

The XFL and others attempt to become a minor league that has a passionate fan base because they just couldn't survive by just selling it as low cost entertainment.  And it's even more difficult to have a passionate fan base when you are trotting out there NFL rejects.  It would be different if each team had a couple players that looked like they might be talented enough for the NFL with a little bit of development.  But they don't have that.  They just have a bunch of guys whom the NFL has already had and decided they arn't interested in.  

Just don't understand what drives a "smart" business person to drop hundreds of millions of dollars into this.  

On 2/4/2020 at 5:50 PM, King Colt said:

He played for the Birmingham Iron of the Alliance of American Football in 2019, and led the league with 12 rushing touchdowns.

Must have been 1st and goal from the 2 each time lol.  Glad he had some success.  I hope the guy can make a living doing what he loves