Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brees seriously considering retirement


danlhart87

Recommended Posts

They don't have much cap room, if you look at it objectively. They probably let go of Teddy Bridgewater and Janoris Jenkins, draft a QB and more secondary players, and sign Clowney and bring back Brees for one last hurrah. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The Saints are the ones pushing him, they want a 1 year "prove it" deal. Brees gave up a lot of his leverage by saying he wouldn't play any place else, so it's the Saints or retirement..

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

The Saints are the ones pushing him, they want a 1 year "prove it" deal. Brees gave up a lot of his leverage by saying he wouldn't play any place else, so it's the Saints or retirement..

It isn't a "prove it"  deal.   They don't want to sign a 41 year old qb long term

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mel Kiper's Hair said:

I bet the Saints give 30-35 million reasons to come back. I know money isn't everything but it's a lot of money and the team is a contender. I think he wants to win a 2nd Super Bowl before he retires.

 

At this point in his career the fact that they are a contender is everything.  

 

Although it does make me wonder why more QB's, especially at this late in their career don't pull a Tom Brady and purposefully play on low paying contracts in order to get a better team around them.  

 

Does seem to me you could up your chances of reaching the SB if you purposefully played for vet min.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a joke but an argument could be made. His backup went undefeated, and they should have been 0-1 but Bill O’Brien did the same thing he did in the Pats game. And that’s just the part the article left out.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think he is going to retire. It is just a guess with me saying that as I haven't heard anything. The only thing he has left to try and go for is winning 2 SB's as a starter. I think he knows deep down that isn't happening. He had 2 golden opportunities the last 2 seasons to win #2 but lost at home in the playoffs. Saints don't have the team to get it done now IMO. I see him saying good bye. So many great QB's have failed to win at least 2 SB's and some have never even won one. Eventhough Peyton was carried by his defense when he won #2, he still had some good moments and to me when he won #2 that was probably the most important accomplishment he had in his career. Reason being, winning 2 SB's as a starter is so difficult (only 12 QB's have done it out of thousands) and Peyton had came up short in other seasons where he should've won the SB.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I want Brees to come back so they have to let Bridgewater go. Maybe he ends up on a team like the chargers and they won’t take a QB. 

I take it you want Love or Herbert 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I want Brees to come back so they have to let Bridgewater go. Maybe he ends up on a team like the chargers and they won’t take a QB. 

I don't understand why so many people would be against the Colts signing Bridgewater.  He is only 27 and he would fit in our offense.  Ballard liked JB enough to trade for him and many people think Bridgewater is similar to JB but much better.  I think that bodes well that we might sign him and use our top picks to continue to build the team.  I know everyone is enamored with Mahomes and his playmaking ability but our team is being constructed to run the ball 1st and compliment our offense with an elite defense.  Not to mention that you wouldn't have to pay so much to a top 10 QB.  Then you could afford to hold on to more of your players.  BTW Tannehill's success has opened up that door for non star QBs to succeed.  Since this years class is so weak I'm starting to like the veteran route more and more whether it's FA or trade.  Bridgewater would be a serious upgrade for us.  I can see Ballard taking this road and holding on to all of his picks.  JMO.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bridgewater would change nothing for the Colts. Reich is doing a good job and everything, but he doesn’t quite have the team built that Vrabel and Payton had. Not that I don’t give Bridgewater and Tanny any credit but they had possibly the 2 best fundamentally sounds teams not called the 49ers in football this year. It made their jobs alot easier.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BloodyChamp said:

Bridgewater would change nothing for the Colts. Reich is doing a good job and everything, but he doesn’t quite have the team built that Vrabel and Payton had. Not that I don’t give Bridgewater and Tanny any credit but they had possibly the 2 best fundamentally sounds teams not called the 49ers in football this year. It made their jobs alot easier.

Bridgewater wouldn't be coming to a bad team in the Colts.  Our OL and running game are top 5. I think he would make our offense and QB group absolutely better.    

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/29/2020 at 1:17 PM, Valpo2004 said:

 

At this point in his career the fact that they are a contender is everything.  

 

Although it does make me wonder why more QB's, especially at this late in their career don't pull a Tom Brady and purposefully play on low paying contracts in order to get a better team around them.  

 

Does seem to me you could up your chances of reaching the SB if you purposefully played for vet min.  

Tom, more than almost any other QB these days, is a "brand" all to himself. His endorsements deals are off the hook. Besides collecting his NFL paycheck, he also gets dolla dolla billz from: 

 

Quote

Aston Martin, Cadillac, Dunkin' Donuts, Electronic Arts/Madden NFL 18, The Gap, Glaceau Smartwater, Got Milk?/California Milk Processor Board, Hershey's, Intel, IWC Watches, Movado watches, Nike, Purple Carrot/TB12 Performance Meals, Shields Healthcare Group, Simmons Bedding/Beautyrest mattresses, Sirius satellite radio, Stetson cologne, Tag Heuer watches, UGG Australia, Visa, and Wheaties

 

Add in that his wife's net worth is $360M, his $180+M net worth, and they're not missing any meals. 

 

In terms of him taking less, think of it as not taking less, but investing in his brand of winning, which translates into endorsements (because he wins) that likely come close to, or eclipses his NFL salary. He and Peyton made/make some crazy cash off the field.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LockeDown said:

I wouldn’t know Teddy Bridgewater if he were standing beside me. Has anyone actually ever interviewed him.

Ofcourse,  he was the Vikings starter for 3 years

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

Ofcourse,  he was the Vikings starter for 3 years

But he was injured most of those years right? I swear I couldn’t place his face if I had to. I know he was skinny.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/2/2020 at 12:08 AM, EastStreet said:

Tom, more than almost any other QB these days, is a "brand" all to himself. His endorsements deals are off the hook. Besides collecting his NFL paycheck, he also gets dolla dolla billz from: 

 

 

Add in that his wife's net worth is $360M, his $180+M net worth, and they're not missing any meals. 

 

In terms of him taking less, think of it as not taking less, but investing in his brand of winning, which translates into endorsements (because he wins) that likely come close to, or eclipses his NFL salary. He and Peyton made/make some crazy cash off the field.

 

 

Granted, but it makes me wonder why more QB's don't make that sort of investment after they get their big payday contract.  Too big of a risk without their wives already possessing a fortune?  

 

It's not like Brees can't get endorsement deals. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LockeDown said:

But he was injured most of those years right? I swear I couldn’t place his face if I had to. I know he was skinny.

 

Not really he was fine and then took a massive total fluke non-contact knee injury in practice.  Apparently the site of the injury made some of his teammates vomit.  That took him out for a couple of years.  And at that point no one wanted him as anything more than a backup because there was so much of a question of if he could come back from such a massive injury.  

 

The only thing about him was he was the starter for the Vikings when AP was still in his prime a bit so Bridgewater never put up really big numbers or carried the offense.  So while with the Vikings he was closer to Alex Smith than Pat Mahomes.  

 

I don't know if I personally would see him as a Franchise guy.  Saints are a really talented team, so I personally kind of see him as either a low level starter or one of the best backups in the league.  Probably better than JB but not sure if he's the guy who can get you past some of the best teams in the league in the playoffs.  

 

That said I'd like to see him prove me wrong and be a franchise guy.  Not only is coming back from an injury like that a great story but I also like him because he breaks the stereotype of the running black QB.  Bridgewater is a pocket passer.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/3/2020 at 9:46 AM, Valpo2004 said:

 

Granted, but it makes me wonder why more QB's don't make that sort of investment after they get their big payday contract.  Too big of a risk without their wives already possessing a fortune?  

 

It's not like Brees can't get endorsement deals. 

Brees is just no on that level. A guy like Brady, he's go all kind of things going for him, including model looks, and model wife.He's an easy fit in just about any luxury brand. Peyton has the personality to do/rep almost anything. Brees, while I'm sure he gets plenty of local stuff, just doesn't have the "it" factor for the national stuff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Brees is just no on that level. A guy like Brady, he's go all kind of things going for him, including model looks, and model wife.He's an easy fit in just about any luxury brand. Peyton has the personality to do/rep almost anything. Brees, while I'm sure he gets plenty of local stuff, just doesn't have the "it" factor for the national stuff.

He (Brees) was on Brain Games last week.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Brees is just no on that level. A guy like Brady, he's go all kind of things going for him, including model looks, and model wife.He's an easy fit in just about any luxury brand. Peyton has the personality to do/rep almost anything. Brees, while I'm sure he gets plenty of local stuff, just doesn't have the "it" factor for the national stuff.

 

I've seen Drew Brees on some ads and I'm in Northern Indiana.  Certainly not local to New Orleans.

 

 

This certainly isn't everything he's done either.  

 

Maybe he's not as prolific as Peyton, but to be fair, few are.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, coltsva said:

He (Brees) was on Brain Games last week.

Had to google. Thought it was the old local HS competition they did in Indy lol...  

1 hour ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

I've seen Drew Brees on some ads and I'm in Northern Indiana.  Certainly not local to New Orleans.

 

 

This certainly isn't everything he's done either.  

 

Maybe he's not as prolific as Peyton, but to be fair, few are.  

I'm not saying he never does national stuff, but simply not on the level of guys like PM, TB, and a few others. I live in NFCS territory, and even here, I see a heck of lot more PM and TB stuff than Brees, Ryan, or other NFCS guys (or AFCS guys).

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Valpo2004 said:

 

I've seen Drew Brees on some ads and I'm in Northern Indiana.  Certainly not local to New Orleans.

 

 

This certainly isn't everything he's done either.  

 

Maybe he's not as prolific as Peyton, but to be fair, few are.  

Those were really good.

 

"How do you feel?"

"Cool...and awkward"

Link to post
Share on other sites

I would not touch Bridgewater. I believe he went undefeated in Brees absence this year.  He is 27 and Brees is 41.  Brees could retire at any minute and is definitely in twilight of his careeer.  The Saints want him back. The Saints have had 2 years to assess Bridgewater. Now with all that being said.  If the Saints let Bridgewater go wouldnt that tell u a lot about how much the Saints value him? I truly believe that if Payton believed he was the next franchise qb,  they would tap Brees on the shoulder and graciously ask him to retire.  U dont let young franchise qbs hit free agency even if u feel indebted to the old guy. Smart franchises dont do that and Payton is a great offensive mind. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I would not touch Bridgewater. I believe he went undefeated in Brees absence this year.  He is 27 and Brees is 41.  Brees could retire at any minute and is definitely in twilight of his careeer.  The Saints want him back. The Saints have had 2 years to assess Bridgewater. Now with all that being said.  If the Saints let Bridgewater go wouldnt that tell u a lot about how much the Saints value him? I truly believe that if Payton believed he was the next franchise qb,  they would tap Brees on the shoulder and graciously ask him to retire.  U dont let young franchise qbs hit free agency even if u feel indebted to the old guy. Smart franchises dont do that and Payton is a great offensive mind. 

Great post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...