Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Can I ask a serious question. As someone that supports JB but is also slowly coming around to drafting a QB, why are we rooting against JB?  Seems everyone is dead set that he will suck again next year. Odds are very likely that even if we draft a QB, JB is the starter next season because the rookie won’t be ready. Why not at least root for him to succeed. If we draft a QB, you get your possible future QB to develop. Why wouldn’t you want JB to do well so the Colts do well. Just curious. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DougDew said:

I agree with you about both Morgan and PTW.  I'm not a big fan of drafting "developmental" Qbs because I don't think they ever amount to anything.  The best course in that way would be to draft Gordon as late as possible because he at least looks the part of an NFL QB, and hope that he hits, like Minshew.

Still love the idea of a 6'6 3T and a 6'7 1T.  Nothing is getting through the middle, and two trees right in the QBs face.  Neither would come out of the game very much, except for rest.

If somehow we can't grab Love or Herbert in the first 34, I'd be good with Gordon. He's a scheme guy, but does have the tools, and is a lot less developmental than most.

I do like PTW though. While he's somewhat raw or developmental, he's got a great frame and could add muscle. Not perfectly polished and refined, but a pretty good prospect all things considered. There's several guys like that though. While WR is crazy crazy deep this year, this is also one of the better years for OT too. After I get done deep diving the QBs and WRs, going to be start looking at both trenches closer.

As far as a 3T, I just want a legit pass rushing DT. I think improving the rush will raise the level of play for the entire D (especially the DBs). Not so sure spending a lot of draft capital on a 1T will have the same impact. It's more of a refining addition, than a core need/upgrade.

4 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Can I ask a serious question. As someone that supports JB but is also slowly coming around to drafting a QB, why are we rooting against JB?  Seems everyone is dead set that he will suck again next year. Odds are very likely that even if we draft a QB, JB is the starter next season because the rookie won’t be ready. Why not at least root for him to succeed. If we draft a QB, you get your possible future QB to develop. Why wouldn’t you want JB to do well so the Colts do well. Just curious. 

i have given up on him tbh i dont think he will ever be the guy

players get cut every year because they are not good enough, i see no reason to be attached to jacoby.  hes had plenty of time imo 

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i have given up on him tbh i dont think he will ever be the guy

players get cut every year because they are not good enough, i see no reason to be attached to jacoby.  hes had plenty of time imo 

So let me ask. You would rather cut JB and draft, lets say Jordan Love. Start Love from the jump and maybe win 4-6 games. But you would be happy because JB isn’t the QB? Asking seriously?

7 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So let me ask. You would rather cut JB and draft, lets say Jordan Love. Start Love from the jump and maybe win 4-6 games. But you would be happy because JB isn’t the QB? Asking seriously?

i actually like tua and herbert better than love, i would be happy to see them under center next year

love is a high ceiling low floor prospect, i would be ok with drafting him but that is accepting the fact that its a risk.  im ok with gambling for a big pay off, if it doesnt work out we try again.  

i think we can do better than JB while admitting there is risk involved, remember we won 4 games with him too

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i actually like tua and herbert better than love, i would be happy to see them under center next year

love is a high ceiling low floor prospect, i would be ok with drafting him but that is accepting the fact that its a risk.  im ok with gambling for a big pay off, if it doesnt work out we try again.  

i think we can do better than JB while admitting there is risk involved, remember we won 4 games with him too

I get what you are saying. I get that with JB we could win anywhere from 7-10 games most years but that we don’t want to settle for mediocrity. I just have felt that JB might just surprise us all next year. 

25 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I think if we get a DT and a stud WR and players stay healthy Love could win more then 4 to 6 games. He should be able to put points on the board. We aren’t a team that has no talent. It’s a pretty good situation.  

With Herbert I think the transition would be flawless. Reichs quick hitting offense fits him perfect. He his very smart. I don’t think we would miss a beat with him.

3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think if we get a DT and a stud WR and players stay healthy Love could win more then 4 to 6 games. He should be able to put points on the board. We aren’t a team that has no talent. It’s a pretty good situation.  

With Herbert I think the transition would be flawless. Reichs quick hitting offense fits him perfect. He his very smart. I don’t think we would miss a beat with him.

Yet again I agree. But we are asking a lot of a very young player. I think it is easy for all of us to think every qb can step in and be a Mahomes or Watson. That is not always the case. Look at Trubisky, Manziel, Allen, Lynch. We just assume every qb is an upgrade but it is 50/50. 

I will say that if Ballard picks a QB at 13, then he is sold and so am I. If he picks one later and rolls with Brissett, then I will trust him. 

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The Colts have zero shot at him.

1 minute ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Yet again I agree. But we are asking a lot of a very young player. I think it is easy for all of us to think every qb can step in and be a Mahomes or Watson. That is not always the case. Look at Trubisky, Manziel, Allen, Lynch. We just assume every qb is an upgrade but it is 50/50. 

I will say that if Ballard picks a QB at 13, then he is sold and so am I. If he picks one later and rolls with Brissett, then I will trust him. 

Here is the thing about Herbert. He is mature. He was a four year starter. He has lots of experience  Mahomes sat a year don’t forget about that.

2 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

You never know. There is a couple teams that are trade up possibilities.

37 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I agree with your obersvation.  There is some of that going on I think.

I said that I want a high floor guy.  If Fromm checks out from a height, hand size, and arm talent standpoint, I'd rather go with him than a high ceiling prospect.  

JB showed that short game accuracy can win games if you have a defense and ST.  Sure, teams can jump the short routes, but if you burn them...score on the 30 yard pass when its available...then they will stay honest.  Fromm can hit those passes while JB has shown that he cannot.  That's the difference right there.  I assume Gordon can too, but I'll wager that his arm is weaker than Fromm's.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Matabix said:

Than that was a play calling problem. Not a JB problem. He was near the top of the league before injury for comp. % and TD passes. Still had near top in drop passes as well.

The majority if not all came inside the red zone which harpens the point even more that Brisett was not the driving part of our offense just a rider and as far completion percentage goes, it's a useless stat if your passes travel 5 yards

45 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

With our OL and running game, we are a great landing spot for a young QB. Even a guy that needs time could be pretty successful early. Our scheme is also supportive of a young QB. 

38 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

We have enough draft capital to go after Herbert without even digging into next year's picks. DET and NYG could both be open to trading to back. They both need a lot of non-QB upgrades.

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Considering that it isn't "everyone", and most don't think he sucks, that he is just average and he can't take us to a SB, so really, why do you think that anyone wouldn't want him to work hard to get better?
 I would say that everyone does want him to improve, but many here think he has had enough time to show his stripes and is near his ceiling. If that is true, we are wasting time and need the next man in the house ASAP.
Go Jacoby!

12 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

With our OL and running game, we are a great landing spot for a young QB. Even a guy that needs time could be pretty successful early. Our scheme is also supportive of a young QB. 

We have enough draft capital to go after Herbert without even digging into next year's picks. DET and NYG could both be open to trading to back. They both need a lot of non-QB upgrades.

Good points, but, I just don't see CB doing it.  Time will tell, eh?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Good points, but, I just don't see CB doing it.  Time will tell, eh?

I don't think he will either, but it would be pretty easy if he wanted to. 

IMO, he likes Love, and probably believes Love will be there at 13. He'll certainly do his due diligence on Love, but also due diligence figuring out who's taking who, and where at in the draft order. 

My personal hope is that we take Love at 13, then trade our 34 and 44 to get back into the top 20 for a 3T.

If Love is somehow gone, I'd be OK with Gordon or Eason in the second, and using our 1st rounder for a 3T.

14 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't think he will either, but it would be pretty easy if he wanted to. 

IMO, he likes Love, and probably believes Love will be there at 13. He'll certainly do his due diligence on Love, but also due diligence figuring out who's taking who, and where at in the draft order. 

My personal hope is that we take Love at 13, then trade our 34 and 44 to get back into the top 20 for a 3T.

If Love is somehow gone, I'd be OK with Gordon or Eason in the second, and using our 1st rounder for a 3T.

DT, WR, OL...then watch for the QB battle in camp.

22 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

DT, WR, OL...then watch for the QB battle in camp.

If their weren't behavior issues surrounding one of the QBs in our camp, or if I was sure there'd be a truly open competition, then I might agree. I'm a Kelly fan (talent), just not sure that either 1) he's stable enough now, and 2) even if he is, not sure he gets a fair shot.

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

Please never use this expression again, unless you change away from your new Avatar......

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, EastStreet said:

If their weren't behavior issues surrounding one of the QBs in our camp, or if I was sure there'd be a truly open competition, then I might agree. I'm a Kelly fan (talent), just not sure that either 1) he's stable enough now, and 2) even if he is, not sure he gets a fair shot.

Would be strange to pay CK for two years, and not even give him a fair shot.

6 minutes ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Would be strange to pay CK for two years, and not even give him a fair shot.

Maybe Jim Kelly has pics of Frank with farm animals or something lol... 

I have a feeling (just gut) telling me Frank is more pro-CK than Ballard. 

I really didn't care for Ballard's comments to Dakich about "Damn right I'm cuttin' you". There was no need to air that publicly. And it wasn't even in response to CK asking him. Per Ballard it was a look from CK when cut. Just felt like Ballard was trying to look hard or like a tough guy. I was fine with the rest regarding lack of trust though.

25 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So your saying you would give up even more assets for a high QB or reach even more for one with a later pick. 

First, you didn't ask that. You'd asked if I would still want a QB if we were "9-7 and xxx"... 

If we were 9-7, and JB still had the same QBR, same AVG, same Comp%, etc., and same issues with field vision and progressions, than I'd absolutely still want a QB....

Bad is bad. You wouldn't ask that question if we were talking about any other position if they were performing badly, so why ask it about a QB. If your WR can't catch, would you still want to draft one if we were 9-7???

You have to spend draft capital on every pick regardless of position. A "reach" is a subjective term. Teams trade up every year to get players. What if Love is available late 1st or early 2nd like in some mainstream mocks? Is that still a reach. Taking Gordon in the second, is that still a reach?

I get it, you want to see JB get another shot. That's great, but most of us are moving on and would want a QB regardless of record. We simply are satisfied with our evaluation of JB's ceiling, and we think he's capped at mediocre. I'd take Burrow, Herbert, Love, Gordon, Eason, Hurts, Kelly, and Carr all over JB. And if it didn't work out, I'd be fine with that, and look for the next guy.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

First, you didn't ask that. You'd asked if I would still want a QB if we were "9-7 and xxx"... 

If we were 9-7, and JB still had the same QBR, same AVG, same Comp%, etc., and same issues with field vision and progressions, than I'd absolutely still want a QB....

Bad is bad. You wouldn't ask that question if we were talking about any other position if they were performing badly, so why ask it about a QB. If your WR can't catch, would you still want to draft one if we were 9-7???

You have to spend draft capital on every pick regardless of position. A "reach" is a subjective term. Teams trade up every year to get players. What if Love is available late 1st or early 2nd like in some mainstream mocks? Is that still a reach. Taking Gordon in the second, is that still a reach?

I get it, you want to see JB get another shot. That's great, but most of us are moving on and would want a QB regardless of record. We simply are satisfied with our evaluation of JB's ceiling, and we think he's capped at mediocre. I'd take Burrow, Herbert, Love, Gordon, Eason, Hurts, Kelly, and Carr all over JB. And if it didn't work out, I'd be fine with that, and look for the next guy.

You do realize that if he had more yards and touchdowns his other stats would have also improved. He was completing almost 70% early in the season. 

Also, your right. I would like to see him at least get a fair shake. Everyone blames the whole season on him. Guess what winning is a team effort and losing is also. 

14 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

You do realize that if he had more yards and touchdowns his other stats would have also improved. He was completing almost 70% early in the season. 

Also, your right. I would like to see him at least get a fair shake. Everyone blames the whole season on him. Guess what winning is a team effort and losing is also. 

He is already is close to 3000 (2942) so him getting having an extra 58 yards isn't going to impact his stats much at all. 

This is all fairy-tale stuff. He was bad, and we weren't 9-7. It is what it is. Team Draft isn't going to change your mind, and Team JB isn't going to convince Team Draft either lol.... 

Don't act like he isn't getting a fair shake. He's got his chance two years.

And fair is where you get cotton candy.

• Like 2

I don’t have a problem saying I think Jacoby would improve some with healthy and upgraded weapons. I think it would be impossible for him not to. I just don’t think he has a high enough ceiling to take us where we need to be. Sure he can probably work on things and improve but how much more of a ceiling does he have.

10 hours ago, EastStreet said:

You just turned us into the Browns.

JB has all the tools and can make every throw. He lacks at reading defenses, big time. That can be taught that is why I'm not giving up on him. 

22 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Well for starters I'm not rooting against JB. I just don't see him as a good QB. The Colts are wasting time with him. Therefore, since you keep asking these (IF) questions, as you say, to help you understand, let me bring to your attention a couple of things. Back at the end of the regular season some were wanting Kelley to start at least one game. This question was brought up to FR at one of his after games press conferences. He said at that time Kelley would not play but the Colts will be working with him. Teaching him how to be a NFL QB. Now, couple that with CB saying what he said about Kelley in his talk with Dakich. I believe if you add this up, it will amount to seeing Kelley as the starting QB in the future. I know this is not what you and some others want to see but i believe your going to have to bite the bullet. I believe the Colts will draft a QB in this upcoming draft but i don't think it will be a high pick. The question remains, what will they do with JB. Personally, they need to unload him somehow but this is JMO. I have a gut feeling they will hold on to him which i think will be a mistake. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, lincolndefan said:

Well for starters I'm not rooting against JB. I just don't see him as a good QB. The Colts are wasting time with him. Therefore, since you keep asking these (IF) questions, as you say, to help you understand, let me bring to your attention a couple of things. Back at the end of the regular season some were wanting Kelley to start at least one game. This question was brought up to FR at one of his after games press conferences. He said at that time Kelley would not play but the Colts will be working with him. Teaching him how to be a NFL QB. Now, couple that with CB saying what he said about Kelley in his talk with Dakich. I believe if you add this up, it will amount to seeing Kelley as the starting QB in the future. I know this is not what you and some others want to see but i believe your going to have to bite the bullet. I believe the Colts will draft a QB in this upcoming draft but i don't think it will be a high pick. The question remains, what will they do with JB. Personally, they need to unload him somehow but this is JMO. I have a gut feeling they will hold on to him which i think will be a mistake. 

Reich never said anything like that about Kelly. 

7 minutes ago, lincolndefan said:

You are wrong my dear! He most certainly did! I don't know how to go back and find it but it was said by FR.

I remember the press conference. Unless there is one I missed. A reporter asked why they kept Kelly on the 53. Then the reporter asked if he was afraid to lose him. All Reich said was yes. 

6 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I remember the press conference. Unless there is one I missed. A reporter asked why they kept Kelly on the 53. Then the reporter asked if he was afraid to lose him. All Reich said was yes. 

Chloe, I distinctly remember FR saying the Colts are working with Chad. Teaching him the finer things of being an NFL QB. Don't remember which press conference.