Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Albert Breer's story behind the scene of Mahomes draft and how it can pertain to the Colts.

Coltsfan0112

https://www.si.com/.amp/nfl/2020/01/27/super-bowl-liv-49ers-chiefs-kobe-bryant-eli-manning-mmqb?__twitter_impression=true

First off what an amazing story and reading the details of how Mahomes was drafted. In the story Veach, Ballard and a select few knew in February they were going to draft Mahomes and the plan was going to how to get up there and draft him.

I'll say this. If Colts are in the Qb market for the draft I'm sure they know who they want or have an idea. I'm also sure there is talks if there is plans on how to secure that Qb since there are teams ahead of them. Not saying they are going to draft one for sure but they're doing the work.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

@Coltsfan0112

That is a very good piece, thanks for posting. 

I think it highlights something that most fans don't know and don't consider... making a trade is not about just calling a team and working out the details.  The Chiefs sold the agent that KC was the best place for Mahomes, they got inside information during the offseason about him, they knew with as much certainty as they could get where they needed to get to to draft him and that it took someone that Reid has a long history with to be able to pull off the trade.

If the agent had told them that no one was showing any interest in him they would have stayed at 27 and drafted Mahomes.

• Like 1

Well we’ve definitely got some incredibly smart and trustworthy football guys at the helm right now, plus an owner who lives, eats, and breathes Colts. Whoever they decide is the guy, I don’t think they’ll struggle to give him a convincing pitch to rock the ‘shoe. 

I don’t particularly want to get into the whole back and forth among us fans over who is and isn’t he right guy to lead this team in the next era, but I am not sold on a single one. I know there’s an answer out there but I really would not be disappointed if we go this offseason without drafting one of the early ones. My best idea that I’ve seen pitched is a trade for Stafford but that entirely depends on their asking price. 

The rookies, except Burrow, leave a LOT to be desired and I just have no confidence in their flaws being coached out and all we’ll do is waste the next five years until we decide it’s time to go back to the drawing board. 

Just my opinion and we can all argue about it for the entire offseason and then some but nobody really knows how it’ll play out until it does, and I have better things to do than going back and forth reiterating my same opinion for the next three years. 

• Like 4

Man. This sounded eerily similar to what could be going on with Love.

**Conspiracy Theory**

Ballard has been on him since his Sophomore year.

Love has a down year but still decides to come out. Why? Ballard spoke with his agent and said we want him. They agree Reich and Colts are best for him.

We are sitting at 13 and Ballard has some connections on where to move up if needed.  

This is gonna be interesting. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

**Conspiracy Theory**

Love has a down year but still decides to come out. Why? Ballard spoke with his agent and said we want him. They agree Reich and Colts are best for him.

We are sitting at 13 and Ballard has some connections on where to move up if needed.  

Agreed...in general.  Huge difference in specifics, however, when comparing the play making that Mahomes showed in college and the draft capital you’d give up to roll the dice that he might be what he has become.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

**Conspiracy Theory**

That doesn't sound like a conspiracy at all.

Nice story.  But to me, comparing Love to Mahomes is like comparing Jake Fromm to Kurt Warner because they are similar size.   Mahomes balled it out in big games. Love faded.  Mahomes shows accuracy from all angles. Love is inaccurate.  If the Colts draft Love, I will be sorely disappointed and feel strongly it will set the franchise back 3-4 year and probably be the end of Ballard/Reich

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Nice story.  But to me, comparing Love to Mahomes is like comparing Jake Fromm to Kurt Warner because they are similar size.   Mahomes balled it out in big games. Love faded.  Mahomes shows accuracy from all angles. Love is inaccurate.  If the Colts draft Love, I will be sorely disappointed and feel strongly it will set the franchise back 3-4 year and probably be the end of Ballard/Reich

I understand where you are coming from.   I haven't seen much of Love, so I am not sold 1 way or another.