Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

QB landing spots predictions

7 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

The one QB everyone is forgetting about is Taysom Hill of the Saints.  All three of their QB's are technically free agents.  Brees, Bridgewater and Hill.  They are up against the cap and will probably only be able to keep two.  Assuming Brees comes back then it's between Bridgewater and Hill and from what I've read Payton loves Hill.  He will need to be tendered a contract and teams could sign him away.  In fact I've read where they might tender him a contract that would require 1st rd compensation to them if he were to sign with someone else.  That tender is pretty expensive.  They have some decisions to make that might give us an opportunity at a QB no one is really discussing. 

IDK.. Hill's an RFA, but he's not going to be in huge demand. We shouldn't forget that he was undrafted, signed by GB, and waived by GB. He's a good multi-use tool, but still very unproven at QB. I think he actually has more tackles than completions so far. And almost half the teams in the league carry 3 QBs. Not saying NO's salary situation doesn't press them to make moves, but not seeing it so bad that they have to decide between TB and TH. Brees restructured his contract last year to help the team with space, so I can see him working with the FO again.

I don’t think there’s a downside to waiting to sign a guy like Rivers, if we’re interested, after the draft, based on how things go in the draft, should it? He’s a vet and should be fine getting into our playbook after the draft a month later than free agency.

16 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I don’t think there’s a downside to waiting to sign a guy like Rivers, if we’re interested, after the draft, based on how things go in the draft, should it? He’s a vet and should be fine getting into our playbook after the draft a month later than free agency.

I think signing him before the draft would change how we approach the draft.  You have your starter in place and you would not feel the need to move to take one early.  You could try to fill immediate needs in the draft and draft a developmental QB later.  Having Rivers in place might also help to attract other FA's. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

I think signing him before the draft would change how we approach the draft.  You have your starter in place and you would not feel the need to move to take one early.  You could try to fill immediate needs in the draft and draft a developmental QB later.  Having Rivers in place might also help to attract other FA's. 

If we sign him, I doubt we’ll draft a QB, just a hunch, with CK and Hoyer making it a crowded group.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

The downside is he would sign with another team. I just don’t see another team signing him though. I mean how quick would he get signed after FA starts. Clearly he would fit right into the offense. Signing rivers and drafting a QB would mean trading Jacoby and cutting hoyer.

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

All I know is the Saints and Payton love the guy.  They think he could be the heir to Brees.  So they might let Teddy go and keep Hill.   It will interesting to see if they try to keep all three.  

Yea... he's not a franchise or even starting level QB in the NFL..

• Like 1

On 1/28/2020 at 3:47 PM, Archer said:

I don’t know.  Hoyer was unable to fulfill his primary duty last year - guide us to a win in the starter’s absence.  Against Miami’s terrible D, we weren’t able to get anything going at home.  At one point Hoyer was 2 out of his last 10 in that game.   A lot of water still to go under the old bridge, but Hoyer could be SOL pretty early next year if we have two other backup QBs showing anything at all...

Hoyer was brought in to be a support for JB .  Same as when he was in NE .   He helped TB in preparation and game film.   There wern't any FA Qb's on the open market to come in to be a fill in guy IF JB went down.

I'd bet the house that JB loves having Hoyer there for help

On 1/27/2020 at 9:32 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Doesn’t matter what you are brought in for if you can’t win games when there is a emergency. 

Chloe......... he only played 2 games!  One as a starter!  And he played well in relief when JB went down.  Almost won that game. Remember??? How many teams have a starting QB as the backup QB?

On 1/28/2020 at 12:29 PM, Chloe6124 said:

I will be so disappointed. We have a young team. We need a young QB to go with that. The fact FA comes before the draft makes me mad. I would be ok with it if we didn’t get the Qb we want in the draft. Once our players get older it’s to late to draft a young QB to go with them. This is the time to go get one to grow with this young team.

Seriously?  Do you think reaching for a QB this yr is better than signing rivers for 2 years and building the rest of the team then if needed adding a QB?

I have read may times of your support of JB .  "he only needs some weapons" . paraphrasing but to the point.

Be open minded.  You lock onto something and there is no changing until it changes then onto the next bandwagon

Relax!  

30 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Seriously?  Do you think reaching for a QB this yr is better than signing rivers for 2 years and building the rest of the team then if needed adding a QB?

I have read may times of your support of JB .  "he only needs some weapons" . paraphrasing but to the point.

Be open minded.  You lock onto something and there is no changing until it changes then onto the next bandwagon

Relax!  

I never mentioned that we should reach for a QB. In fact I said the only way I am ok with Rivers is if we can’t get the QB they want.

37 minutes ago, WifiGuy said:

Chloe......... he only played 2 games!  One as a starter!  And he played well in relief when JB went down.  Almost won that game. Remember??? How many teams have a starting QB as the backup QB?

Hoyer is kind of why we missed the playoffs. As good as he played in the Steelers game the pick six is why we lost. I am always going to believe we win that game and Miami and probably make the playoffs. The slide the second half came after those two games. Maybe with wins that slide doesn’t happen after that Miami game.

On 1/28/2020 at 7:50 PM, Chloe6124 said:

The downside is he would sign with another team. I just don’t see another team signing him though. I mean how quick would he get signed after FA starts. Clearly he would fit right into the offense. Signing rivers and drafting a QB would mean trading Jacoby and cutting hoyer.

Yea!!!!!!!!!!!! The bolded would be the best thing the Colts could do. Unfortunately, I think they hold on to at least one. How sad? SAD

The more I keep reading and the more I keep going over all of the FA QBs the more I think the Saints are going to keep Hill over Bridgewater as their replacement for Brees.  If Bridgewater does get free then I can see Ballard signing him over all of the other available QBs.  My first choice would still be to get Carr but Bridgewater makes sense for me if that fails.   People say he is similar to JB.  Maybe so but their is no doubt he is much better than JB.  And that could be all we need to get back into the playoffs and a possible SB.  And if he works out he is young enough to be our guy for quite awhile.  This move would allow Ballard to go after some very good prospects in the draft and even draft a QB prospect if he chooses.  He will certainly plug a whole or two in FA.  If Bridgewater gets free I'm sure he will be highly sought after.  But we do have the wherewithal to get him and I'm sure he would recognize the fact that the Colts could be the ideal situation for him.  Not to mention Ballard can keep those picks and significantly upgrade the QB position in one big move.  To me this makes more sense than signing any of the other FA QBs.  Originally I and lot of people thought he was going to stay in NO.  Now I'm starting to think differently.  

On 1/29/2020 at 8:24 PM, Chloe6124 said:

Hoyer is kind of why we missed the playoffs. As good as he played in the Steelers game the pick six is why we lost. I am always going to believe we win that game and Miami and probably make the playoffs. The slide the second half came after those two games. Maybe with wins that slide doesn’t happen after that Miami game.

Hoyer is why we missed the playoffs???????   Of the other 14 3/4 games of the season you are blaming HOYER??????

Come on man

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

That would be such a stupid move. They would have to also draft a guy to be the future of they did this.

Stupid perhaps, but not unexpected. Gruden has always preferred an aging vet. Rich Gannon and Brad Johnson were his QBs when he had his most success.

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

The only way I would want Carr is if we can’t get the guy we want in the draft. Brissett then would have to be cut. Probably hoyer too. Then Kelly becomes the backup. That is a lot of salary cap ramifications.

Cutting Brisett would cost us 12.5 mil. That's a lot to eat. Hoyer in the other hand I expect us to cut to save 5 mil.

I really want to see Reich get his own QB he can develop. I admit Carr fits this offense perfect but he still doesn’t excite me. We really could add some weapons in the draft if we didn’t have to draft a QB. We would be able to draft very good players with those too 3 picks and address every need. That would be interesting. Does Carr have the leadership personality to get guys to follow him. I don’t know. Give frank a young QB and let’s see what he can do.

This is going to be a very interesting offseason for quarterbacks.  I could see Brady leaving the patriots just to try something new and prove he can win outside of NE. I don’t see Brady and Gruden working well together.

I wonder what Carr would cost? He has 3 years left on his contract. He will be 29 so you could potentially have him for awhile. But if it doesn’t work then they have wasted years and still have no QB. 

43 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I really want to see Reich get his own QB he can develop. I admit Carr fits this offense perfect but he still doesn’t excite me. We really could add some weapons in the draft if we didn’t have to draft a QB. We would be able to draft very good players with those too 3 picks and address every need. That would be interesting. Does Carr have the leadership personality to get guys to follow him. I don’t know. Give frank a young QB and let’s see what he can do.

The Raiders have a significant amount of cap space and trading or releasing Carr would create even more.  I read where the Patriots would be willing to go to over 30m to keep him.  The Raiders have more than enough cap space to beat any Patriots offer. The perfect situation for the Colts.  We trade a 2nd. and improve the rest of the team through the draft and FA.  This report made my day.  

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yeah I doubt that. What is his dead cap though if they cut him? A team probably won’t have to give up a high pick because of his contract. He has 3 years left at 58m. 19 mill a year for your starter is pretty cheap.

He's only on the books for 2.5 mil for the raiders which means he's on the book for another team for 16 mil cap hit. Not exactly an appealing trade.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CR91 said:

He's only on the books for 2.5 mil for the raiders which means he's on the book for another team for 16 mil cap hit. Not exactly an appealing trade.

If they cut him though and another team signed him they are going to be paying him more then 16 m though. Your probably better off doing a trade. You will get him cheaper.

Since ballard likes to groom his own I really only see him going after a guy like Carr if he was just not sold on the quarterbacks or felt there was no way to get the one they want in the draft I think the colts would rather have a guy in the draft then a FA QB. Would they trade Jacoby or just keep him as a backup for a year. I don’t think we would be able to trade him with that contract.