Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
twfish

Brandon Aiyuk write up

Going to kick off my WR write ups with Brandon Aiyuk, Listed between 6 and 6-1 but typically shows 205 for weight. He was the successor for N'keal Harry out of Arizona State however the two couldn't be more opposite. The guy is a absolute burner once he gets behind a defense. Games watched were against Michigan state, USC, Oregon state and Oregon. I will say he did suffer from some QB play and there were several times he was open but was overlooked.

Strengths

The kid is an absolute burner and once he is gone, go ahead and mark it a TD. Versatile and will play special teams and return kicks and punts at a very effective rate. Does a absolutely wonderful job of setting up a CB for a double move. Has quick and choppy feet. Can be very agile and when he wants he can leave a defender in his dust after his first cut. Shows that he consciously attempts to catch the ball with his hands. Shows the ability to learn and get better and is a good candidate to build up.

Weaknesses

He is not physical at all. If he gets pressed at the line he will lose the battle 90% of the time.  This comes in at blocking as well, there are times where he just moves his feet and lets the defender run right beside him. Has a problem with drops and losing control of the ball, is a natural body catcher even though he will try to use his hands to catch the ball. He almost seems lazy at times and can be very slow in and out of breaks. He gives up on routes before the ball is thrown if he doesnt think he is going to have the ball thrown to him. A Lot of his film leaves me questioning his effort and motor.

Overall

I came into watching his film very excited from a little bit of forum hype. His numbers where impressive enough to see him as a higher prospect. However I came away very unimpressed. He is a deep threat WR but does not have a sudden step to him. He is a longer build up speedster. I don't think he would be a good fit for the Colts, I believe we drafted the same style player only way more dynamic in Parris Campbell last year. A team like the Ravens or Chargers would likely be a much better fit for him. What turned me off the most on him was how sluggish he is during some plays and almost appears like he is just jogging to his break in the route, he's  got the speed so i'm not sure why he doesn't utilize it? Low effort players do nothing to me no matter how athletic they are.

I am trying to keep these less in depth then last year because of complaints how long they have been in previous years, I also will not include guess' like draft spot and player comps unless one just jumps out at me.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Very nice, your thoughts pretty much mirror my own initial thoughts on him. He just lacked explosion out of the break it seemed, which was odd because he looked great sometimes in YAC. I wouldn't be too upset with him at 44, but probably no sooner.

• Like 1

Good job, and thanks. I disagree on him not having a quick step. He's very twitchy to me and could also be a threat in the return game. My only digs on him is like you said, he's not all that physical (given his size, understandable), and struggles getting off the line vs the press.

The weakness though is negated if you're running him in the slot or motioning from the Z. In short, don't use him as a deep X. Line him up off the LOS or motion him so he doesn't get tied up. He's great after the catch and deep, and IMO will be a nice weapon for a team that uses him correctly and has a QB that is accurate deep and in the seam.

Who complained about these being too long? lol... Player comps are good too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Good job, and thanks. I disagree on him not having a quick step. He's very twitchy to me and could also be a threat in the return game. My only digs on him is like you said, he's not all that physical (given his size, understandable), and struggles getting off the line vs the press.

The weakness though is negated if you're running him in the slot or motioning from the Z. In short, don't use him as a deep X. Line him up off the LOS or motion him so he doesn't get tied up. He's great after the catch and deep, and IMO will be a nice weapon for a team that uses him correctly and has a QB that is accurate deep and in the seam.

I think he is twitchy and has a quick step when he wants to. Highlights show it off quite a bit but when watching an entire tapes worth you see it wayyyy less. He flashes it but not nearly enough IMO.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, funktacious2 said:

Very nice, your thoughts pretty much mirror my own initial thoughts on him. He just lacked explosion out of the break it seemed, which was odd because he looked great sometimes in YAC. I wouldn't be too upset with him at 44, but probably no sooner.

I wouldn't touch him until the 4th for our team.

Sounds a lot like N’Keal Harry to me. Possibly can win on the outside but can’t separate well quickly enough.

He reminds me of Moss for the Bengals

Fast as lighting... Ross ran a 4.22, but gets bumped on the line and has trouble

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

Sounds a lot like N’Keal Harry to me. Possibly can win on the outside but can’t separate well quickly enough.

N'keal has a big frame and boxed out DB's and wont contested catches, Brandon wins off speed and double moves

• Like 1

6 hours ago, twfish said:

Going to kick off my WR write ups with Brandon Aiyuk, Listed between 6 and 6-1 but typically shows 205 for weight. He was the successor for N'keal Harry out of Arizona State however the two couldn't be more opposite. The guy is a absolute burner once he gets behind a defense. Games watched were against Michigan state, USC, Oregon state and Oregon. I will say he did suffer from some QB play and there were several times he was open but was overlooked.

Strengths

The kid is an absolute burner and once he is gone, go ahead and mark it a TD. Versatile and will play special teams and return kicks and punts at a very effective rate. Does a absolutely wonderful job of setting up a CB for a double move. Has quick and choppy feet. Can be very agile and when he wants he can leave a defender in his dust after his first cut. Shows that he consciously attempts to catch the ball with his hands. Shows the ability to learn and get better and is a good candidate to build up.

Weaknesses

He is not physical at all. If he gets pressed at the line he will lose the battle 90% of the time.  This comes in at blocking as well, there are times where he just moves his feet and lets the defender run right beside him. Has a problem with drops and losing control of the ball, is a natural body catcher even though he will try to use his hands to catch the ball. He almost seems lazy at times and can be very slow in and out of breaks. He gives up on routes before the ball is thrown if he doesnt think he is going to have the ball thrown to him. A Lot of his film leaves me questioning his effort and motor.

Overall

I came into watching his film very excited from a little bit of forum hype. His numbers where impressive enough to see him as a higher prospect. However I came away very unimpressed. He is a deep threat WR but does not have a sudden step to him. He is a longer build up speedster. I don't think he would be a good fit for the Colts, I believe we drafted the same style player only way more dynamic in Parris Campbell last year. A team like the Ravens or Chargers would likely be a much better fit for him. What turned me off the most on him was how sluggish he is during some plays and almost appears like he is just jogging to his break in the route, he's  got the speed so i'm not sure why he doesn't utilize it? Low effort players do nothing to me no matter how athletic they are.

I am trying to keep these less in depth then last year because of complaints how long they have been in previous years, I also will not include guess' like draft spot and player comps unless one just jumps out at me.

6 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I wonder if Aiyuk would be satisfied being a KR/PR & Gunner?

Sergio Brown was an Elite gunner, but he wanted to be a starting Safety & paid like a starting Safety. He wasn't. He thought to highly of himself.

Could Aiyuk be "that guy" on Special Teams for us with an occasional WR snap... ?? Idk

If this kid is indeed a natural “body catcher” and not a hands catcher,  that is a HUGE red flag for me.

I’ll check other write ups to confirm.  

Thanks very much for all the hard work!   Much appreciated!

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, GoColts00 said:

I wonder if Aiyuk would be satisfied being a KR/PR & Gunner?

Sergio Brown was an Elite gunner, but he wanted to be a starting Safety & paid like a starting Safety. He wasn't. He thought to highly of himself.

Could Aiyuk be "that guy" on Special Teams for us with an occasional WR snap... ?? Idk

Aiyuk will likely go somewhere between 2nd and 4th based on the mocks I've seen. Not sure I would use that kind of draft pick on someone to be just a returner and gunner. I think he's got high upside, so would expect most teams to look at him as a WR2 or 3 at slot, or perhaps even a 1 at Z. If he improves vs the press and gets better at attacking the ball, he could be really really good. As a fan of Herm, I watched a decent amount of ASU, and the kid can play (if used properly)

At returner, I'm very happy with how Hines did at PR. Also liked what I saw from Dulin at KR (only a few opportunities). Pascal also had pretty good numbers at KR. Keep in mind we ended up #1 in the NFL in PR AVG, and #13 in KR AVG, so not really a huge need. The only thing I want to see change a bit is the willingness to return (instead of touch back or fair catch), and that's likely coaching, not player. I'm always happy to improve if we have someone on the roster that's better though, just not sure I'd draft a guy in an attempt to improve returns.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Aiyuk will likely go somewhere between 2nd and 4th based on the mocks I've seen. Not sure I would use that kind of draft pick on someone to be just a returner and gunner. I think he's got high upside, so would expect most teams to look at him as a WR2 or 3 at slot, or perhaps even a 1 at Z. If he improves vs the press and gets better at attacking the ball, he could be really really good. As a fan of Herm, I watched a decent amount of ASU, and the kid can play (if used properly)

At returner, I'm very happy with how Hines did at PR. Also liked what I saw from Dulin at KR (only a few opportunities). Pascal also had pretty good numbers at KR. Keep in mind we ended up #1 in the NFL in PR AVG, and #13 in KR AVG, so not really a huge need. The only thing I want to see change a bit is the willingness to return (instead of touch back or fair catch), and that's likely coaching, not player. I'm always happy to improve if we have someone on the roster that's better though, just not sure I'd draft a guy in an attempt to improve returns.

Would rather have Chase Claypool.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, twfish said:

N'keal has a big frame and boxed out DB's and wont contested catches, Brandon wins off speed and double moves

That made it all the more surprising that the Patriots drafted him and not Deebo Samuel who can play everywhere.

10 hours ago, JackColt23 said:

Would rather have Chase Claypool.

They are two different types of WRs playing different positions. 

I'd prefer Claypool as well, but he's a pure possession X, while Aiyuk will be a Z or traditional slot. 

If we don't re-sign Funch, our biggest need will be at X. If we bring him back, our needs probably favor Z/Slot. I'd prefer Claypool to re-signing Funch though.

woot a WR who runs really fast but yet not strong at the point of attack would dont have any of those on our roster