Indianapolis Colts

So, my question is there is so many leaks about how much Ballard likes Loves and how much he has scouted him. You have leak after leak about scouts and Ballard himself at games or Dodd following him all day at senior bowl practices. 

I say all this to point out that this amount of leaks coming from the Colts and Ballard is very uncharacteristic. 

No agenda in the post. Not saying they won’t draft Love or that none of this is true. It is just very unlike Ballard. Everyone has said that if they like someone, they stay away from them so no one knows. EVERYONE seems to know how much they like Love. 

Thoughts?

13 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So, my question is there is so many leaks about how much Ballard likes Loves and how much he has scouted him. You have leak after leak about scouts and Ballard himself at games or Dodd following him all day at senior bowl practices. 

I say all this to point out that this amount of leaks coming from the Colts and Ballard is very uncharacteristic. 

No agenda in the post. Not saying they won’t draft Love or that none of this is true. It is just very unlike Ballard. Everyone has said that if they like someone, they stay away from them so no one knows. EVERYONE seems to know how much they like Love. 

Thoughts?

Smokescreen  for someone else,  but not sure who

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I might be wrong but I would bet the leaks aren't coming from Colts employees.  Most likely reporters and scouts seeing for themselves the apparent attention Love is receiving from the Colts.  I would suspect just a case of them putting two and two together.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Senior Bowl practices are public. Anyone can go. So it’s not a leak. 

I will say them actually wanting Herbert won’t shock me. There isn’t really any reason to do much research on him. He has been a starter for 4 years and his character is well known. Apparently Dodd’s followed him around at the SB also.

Anything is possible. The reason I think this might be different(i.e. we might indeed have interest) is that those reports were coming out much earlier than you'd expect. There were reports about Ballard liking Love in September, he was supposed to go see him on a random Saturday in November. Those were before we even knew if he would declare or not. I personally don't believe the Colts are running such long cons just to sprinkle some dust and smokescreen in the air. 

Or maybe it wasn't supposed to be a smokescreen back then but has turned into one now? No idea. I kind of feel like even Ballard and co don't yet know what the plan for the draft is. There are so many more events to go before the final board is even set up.

If I had to bet, Ballard probably likes Love. Colts did indeed send scouts to 5-6 maybe more games of Love. But maybe they did the same for every other major QB prospect in the draft too? In other words, it's possible for those reports to have some truth to them, but the Colts FO still to not be anywhere close to a formulated plan of action.

In any case, take whatever is leaking with a grain of salt. For whatever it's worth to me it looks more like reports about facts rather than leaks about intentions - i.e. the reports are that we sent scouts, that Ballard was supposed to be there too, that the Colts were following him around a lot at the Senior bowl, that they met him. This is factual information. Some people want to connect that to intentions to draft him, but I personally haven't seen such reports by anyone reputable. 

In any case - it's probably too early for them to know what they want to do in the draft.  

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Thoughts?

They are not leaks.   They are reports from media. 

The reports are NOT coming from the Colts.

Ballard has seen Love in person enough so that there’s no hiding his interest.   But we still don’t know how much he likes Love?   And we likely won’t know until the draft.

If we DON’T trade up to take Love, that tells us something, doesn’t it?

If Love is there when we pick and we don’t take him, that tells us something, doesn’t it?   Just as taking Love at 13 tells us something.

There’s a lot of misinformation out there this time of year.   Be skeptical about what you read. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think Ballard is doing what he always does, and sports writers are looking for connections in his actions. My sense is that if Ballard did not want anyone to know what he is doing, no one would know. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, stitches said:

Anything is possible. The reason I think this might be different(i.e. we might indeed have interest) is that those reports were coming out much earlier than you'd expect. There were reports about Ballard liking Love in September, he was supposed to go see him on a random Saturday in November. Those were before we even knew if he would declare or not. I personally don't believe the Colts are running such long cons just to sprinkle some dust and smokescreen in the air. 

Or maybe it wasn't supposed to be a smokescreen back then but has turned into one now? No idea. I kind of feel like even Ballard and co don't yet know what the plan for the draft is. There are so many more events to go before the final board is even set up.

If I had to bet, Ballard probably likes Love. Colts did indeed send scouts to 5-6 maybe more games of Love. But maybe they did the same for every other major QB prospect in the draft too? In other words, it's possible for those reports to have some truth to them, but the Colts FO still to not be anywhere close to a formulated plan of action.

In any case, take whatever is leaking with a grain of salt. For whatever it's worth to me it looks more like reports about facts rather than leaks about intentions - i.e. the reports are that we sent scouts, that Ballard was supposed to be there too, that the Colts were following him around a lot at the Senior bowl, that they met him. This is factual information. Some people want to connect that to intentions to draft him, but I personally haven't seen such reports by anyone reputable. 

In any case - it's probably too early for them to know what they want to do in the draft.  

Just curious on your personal opinion

after this week.....

If Love or Hebert are both available

Who would you take?

Same question to NCF, and Chloe

2 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

after this week.....

Who would you take?

It's very close for me. I'd be more than happy with either of them. I still have slight preference for Love. Both of them did well at the Senior Bowl IMO. 

Keep in mind too is that reports were sent out was that the Colts met with well over 100 prospects, including Burrow and several other top 15 projected prospects. Some more than once.

i would say, the notion Ballard is leaning one way or the other is not known and these media reports are fluff. 

I would be surprised if the Colts had it narrowed down to less than 5-10 guys at this point. Per pick. 

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

It's very close for me. I'd be more than happy with either of them. I still have slight preference for Love. Both of them did well at the Senior Bowl IMO. 

Thanks

I see Love sitting a year, and Herbert starting game 1

I was surprised how mobile Herbert was as well

My only difference is that I would take love at 13. (If CB loved the guy)

I would trade up for Herbert

This is my best guess on Love.  Think Ballard in free agency.  Sure, he liked Landon Collins and was interested until it reached a certain price.  Similarly, when the season was going well and he thought the Colts were picking in the 20's and 30's, he was interested in Love, but if it reaches a certain price - #13, plus additional picks - my guess is he won't be.  If Love is there at 13, maybe.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, #12. said:

This is my best guess on Love.  Think Ballard in free agency.  Sure, he liked Landon Collins and was interested until it reached a certain price.  Similarly, when the season was going well and he thought the Colts were picking in the 20's and 30's, he was interested in Love, but if it reaches a certain price - #13, plus additional picks - my guess is he won't be.  If Love is there at 13, maybe.

At some point we are going to have to trade up to get our next QB. We will never be bad enough to get that high.  When you have a extra second round pick this is the year to do it if you find your guy.  We may never have the extra pick or be at 13 again.

48 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

after this week.....

Who would you take?

That is hard. I do agree Herbert would start day one and be the best fit in Reichs system. He would’ve probably have a seamless transition. But I do think Love has more natural play making ability. I don’t think we can go wrong. 

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

At some point we are going to have to trade up to get our next QB. We will never be bad enough to get that high.  When you have a extra second round pick this is the year to do it if you find your guy.  We may never have the extra pick or be at 13 again.

It depends on the player.  It depends on what type of value Ballard has placed on him.  If Ballard saw Love as a late 1st, early 2nd, I don't see him then entering into the exact type of QB frenzy he said you need to stay out of.  

I'm just telling you what I think Ballard will do.  Myself, I'm not as high on Love, but I would trade up for Herbert.  I'm not sure Ballard would, however.

12 minutes ago, #12. said:

It depends on the player.  It depends on what type of value Ballard has placed on him.  If Ballard saw Love as a late 1st, early 2nd, I don't see him then entering into the exact type of QB frenzy he said you need to stay out of.  

I'm just telling you what I think Ballard will do.  Myself, I'm not as high on Love, but I would trade up for Herbert.  I'm not sure Ballard would, however.

Your just repeating what I said. I said if it is the right guy.

So here’s the timeline of the Love to Colts rumors:

-So it was reported (by the guy from the locker on Colts podcast) that someone had asked Ballard before the season started what QBs he liked in the upcoming draft and he specifically said Herbert and Love

-He was mocked to us by Draft Network as soon as Luck retired

-Ballard was supposed to go to the Utah State and Boise State game (originally it was reported that he was there and this caused a big stir). Accredited but didn’t actually attend

-Colts had scouts at other Utah State games

-Latest report from Colts media person was that we had scouts at 5-6 Utah State games this past season 

So it’s not really leaks, it’s just connecting dots. All pro QB retires and is replaced by a QB who is backup quality at best and only gets a 2 year “prove it” deal. You add in the Scouting rumors and it’s not hard to see how this got out.

• Like 2

I think if Ballard wants Herbert he is going to have to trade up into the top 5 and he starts day one.  If he wants Love he is going to have to trade into picks 6-10.  Either way I think he needs to move up from 13 or they are both gone by 13. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

My take is that something different happened this year relative to other years.

Ballard was known to be looking at Jordan Love sometime mid season.

Twitter being what it is....many wanting followers....noticed.   

So every move between the Colts and Love gets watched, and these twitter types want to be in on the scoop.  They certainly don't want to be the only ones not being with the trend.  Not good for followers if they don't gather all of the speculative news they can spread.

• Like 1

Chargers are like the colts and have a lot of talent.  I would love for Bridgewater to move on and the chargers to sign him taking them out of the QB market. Chargers really need oline help. That would allow them to take a OT at 6. I could see them going that route since they have a good team in a win now mode. Teddy might consider them with all that talent.  So much can happen in FA that could change so much in what teams do in the draft.

I don't think LAC has a competent QB on the roster now.  Assuming Rivers is gone.  Why would they possibly take a positional player or a second tier FA QB instead of a franchise potential QB? 

I'm assuming they will be the team trading up to slot 3 or 4 to take Herbert, and either NYG or DET not wanting to slide down too far, will accept their offer over anybody else.

Then its a matter of Tua going next, but not past 5, depending upon if a team wants to jump MIA

So there will be two positional players, probably Chase and either Brown or Okudah, and 3 Qbs taken in the first 5 picks.

The 4th best QB will go somewhere after pick 5, probably to a team that covets one of them and will trade into the top 10 to get him.

I think it's a strategy on the Colts part to deflect their true intentions of drafting another QB.  Since the Radiers draft before us, and hope they don't pick the one the Colts are targeting like Justin Herber or Jake Fromm.  So, the hype is on so the Raiders will bite. It's a mind game for now, I think.

5 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I don't think LAC has a competent QB on the roster now.  Assuming Rivers is gone.  Why would they possibly take a positional player or a second tier FA QB instead of a franchise potential QB? 

I'm assuming they will be the team trading up to slot 3 or 4 to take Herbert, and either NYG or DET not wanting to slide down too far, will accept their offer over anybody else.

Then its a matter of Tua going next, but not past 5, depending upon if a team wants to jump MIA

So there will be two positional players, probably Chase and either Brown or Okudah, and 3 Qbs taken in the first 5 picks.

The 4th best QB will go somewhere after pick 5, probably to a team that covets one of them and will trade into the top 10 to get him.

Not saying it’s likely but chargers have a ton of talent. Fix the oline and get a competent younger QB they could be in a win now mode. Never know what you will get with a rookie. I doubt that happens but there will be some QB on the market possibly who are younger then rivers but have some experience.

If they can't get Herbert, sign one of the veterans like T Brady and draft a young QB preferably Fromm to sit and study under Brady.

12 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Not saying it’s likely but chargers have a ton of talent. Fix the oline and get a competent younger QB they could be in a win now mode. Never know what you will get with a rookie. I doubt that happens but there will be some QB on the market possibly who are younger then rivers but have some experience.

Maybe, but I'm assuming Telesco sees the value of a franchise QB, Rivers being there for about a dozen years.  I don't think LAC is that close, and giving a few draft picks and maybe a good player is only going to set them back a year or two.   Going from pick 6 to pick 3 won't cost much, that's why LAC making a trade makes sense, IMO, and NYG or DET stand a chance at getting the same player they would have gotten at 3 or 4.

I think Herbert goes top 5, its just a matter of to whom.  LAC makes too much sense, IMO.

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Several reports (from "team sources") have said LAC wants someone already established (via FA). If I were them I'd draft, but whatever floats their boat. Better for us if we intend to take a QB.

I've seen several mocks with them taking an OT with their 1st, and several taking Herbert without moving up.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001097592/article/daniel-jeremiah-2020-nfl-mock-draft-10-four-qbs-in-top-15

Shows them taking an OT. Shows us taking Love at 13, and Herbert going 14th.

https://www.foxsports.com/nfl/gallery/2020-nfl-mock-draft-joe-burrow-chase-young-tua-tagovailoa-number-one-pick-011520-2-012420

Shows them taking Herbert at 6, and Love not being taken in the 1st at all.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2020-nfl-mock-draft-four-qbs-go-in-round-1-but-not-justin-herbert-49ers-pass-rush-grows-more-dangerous/

Shows them taking a DL at 6, us taking Love at 13, and Herbert falling out of the 1st.

Those are just a few of the most mainstream and recent mocks. In short, they are all over the place, but Herbert and Love are in and out. I'd bet Herbert is available at 6 unless Miami chooses him over Tua. Several mocks are showing Miami passing on a QB with their first pick too. 

I kind of doubt we'll see 4 QBs go in the top 10, but who knows. I've not seen a mainstream mock with that happening. There has been chatter about Love going before Herbert, and Herbert going before Tua, but it's all the same teams for the most part. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Maybe, but I'm assuming Telesco sees the value of a franchise QB, Rivers being there for about a dozen years.  I don't think LAC is that close, and giving a few draft picks and maybe a good player is only going to set them back a year or two.   Going from pick 6 to pick 3 won't cost much, that's why LAC making a trade makes sense, IMO, and NYG or DET stand a chance at getting the same player they would have gotten at 3 or 4.

Herbert is one of those QB like the colts who fits the chargers system really well. Like I said it’s not happening but it could be a possibility.

Well, LAC certainly does need a LT.  Turay proved that in our first game with them.

The mocks may change if Herbert's stock rises after Senior Bowl week.

One reason is that Ballard knew Burrows and Tua would be gone By 13 and probably Herbert too so that leaves Love available at 13 maybe. 

• Like 1

Chargers so have Tyrod Taylor who has had some success and won games. Didn’t he take buffalo to the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Well, LAC certainly does need a LT.  Turay proved that in our first game with them.

The mocks may change if Herbert's stock rises after Senior Bowl week.

I don’t think Herbert is going to do anything to raise or lower his draft stock before the draft. Everyone knows who he is after 4 years at Oregon.

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don’t think Herbert is going to do anything to raise or lower his draft stock before the draft. Everyone knows who he is after 4 years at Oregon.

The mocks are provided by the media.  The media just gave him most valuable player, and he answered some questions the media had about him.  And Rivers has since moved to FL probably since some mocks were developed.   I can see a few mocks being adjusted because of Rivers and SB week. 

Who is going to play Qb for LAC next year?  Is there a name that makes sense?

13 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

One reason is that Ballard knew Burrows and Tua would be gone By 13 and probably Herbert too so that leaves Love available at 13 maybe. 

Yeah, as far as the heavy, reportedly, interest in Love could simply be about determining at what pick he'll be available.  The top 3 will surely be gone by our 1st pick.

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The mocks are provided by the media.  The media just gave him most valuable player, and he answered some questions the media had about him.  And Rivers has since moved to FL probably since some mocks were developed.   I can see a few mocks being adjusted because of Rivers and SB week. 

That’s why I said what if bridgewater becomes available. They also have tyrod taylor who has taken a team to the playoffs. Just depends on how much they like Herbert or even love.

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You mean OTHER THAN play great the Senior Bowl week?   He was known by everyone and then he had a great Senior Bowl week and suddenly he’s one of the most popular players in the website.  

Have you forgotten this already?

Teams will learn plenty about Herbert and countless other players.   That’s why there are all star games and the combine and pro days, etc.   This is a very important time for teams.   There’s lots to be learned for the next three months.

11 hours ago, LockeDown said:

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

Yeah, as far as the heavy, reportedly, interest in Love could simply be about determining at what pick he'll be available.  The top 3 will surely be gone by our 1st pick.

Burrow was not thought of this highly early(when Ballard was rumored to like Herbert and Love). It was kind of an avalanche that was gaining more and more mass and power the more games got played. I don't think it was until November-December that people started talking about Burrow as a no. 1 pick. He just never had that body of work before this year and a lot of his most impressive games and against best opponents were at the end of the year. 

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

I've heard Brady thrown around, but no idea if there is anything real behind those rumors. The rumors say that they are having hard time attracting any fans to their games and their owners think getting a legend like Brady to play for several years for them might jump start their new fanbase in LA. No idea whether to believe this or not. 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

I've heard Brady thrown around, but no idea if there is anything real behind those rumors. The rumors say that they are having hard time attracting any fans to their games and their owners think getting a legend like Brady to play for several years for them might jump start their new fanbase in LA. No idea whether to believe this or not. 

Maybe.  Just thinking for myself.  If I was a ticket holder, I'd be more interested in investing in the ground level of a team that had a new young QB and to be a part of their growth.  Our own LA team.  A true LAC rather than a leftover SD QB who didn't want to be here or a leftover NE QB who's here just because of personal reasons.  Herbert's a west coast native too.  Just thinking about where I would place my allegiances. 

Looking at the state of the team and the state of the fan base. This year is a draft the Colts can’t afford to get wrong.

I compare getting a QB (I hope they actually do) is like buying a house or a home. 
you can get shoes online, clothes online, even furniture online. But when you are getting a house, a home. You go to walk through it. Look at inspection reports. Look at neighborhood it sits on just to name a few. Getting a QB you will personally check him out not one time, but many times. You bring other coaches and scouts to check him out. I hope this guy is the answer this draft