Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Chloe6124

What player would you give up to sweeten a trade up?

Recommended Posts

Is there a player on the team you would give up to help sweeten the pot to move up for a QB? At this point I think I would give up Hooker.  He hasn’t shown enough play making ability to think it would hurt the team if we traded him to move up. I thought Odum played better then hooker when he was out with the knee injury.

 

Any other players on the team you wouldn’t mind losing to sweeten a trade up spot in the draft?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So if u willing to give up Hooker based on his play, why would another team want him,??  Honestly, there is no one on  the roster that is exempt from being traded.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So if u willing to give up Hooker based on his play, why would another team want him,??  Honestly, there is no one on  the roster that is exempt from being traded.

Sometimes a player needs a change. It is also possible he just doesn’t fit what eberflus system wants him to do. He was drafted before eberflus got here. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't think of a player outside of the obvious (and crucial) couple who would even make an impact on our draft position.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assuming you are thinking of trading up for a QB.

 

Probably the only two that I think would make sense and that would have some value to another team would be JB and Hooker.  But then we are simply in a position of having to use another draft pick on a FS and then find another backup QB.  Not sure there is a net gain there than just using the draft pick on finding Hookers replacement as the trade bait.

 

Do we have another FS on the roster that can take his place?  Or sign somebody in FA?  That's the only way it would be an advantage to trade him, IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If trading our 13th pick along with Hooker and probably more doesn’t land us Burrow, then I’m not interested. Burrow is the only QB worth trading up for. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sometimes a player needs a change. It is also possible he just doesn’t fit what eberflus system wants him to do. He was drafted before eberflus got here. 

 

 

Yes he was drafted before Eberflus.  However if u listen to Ballard's post draft comments,  he did not view Hooker as scheme specific.  He thought Hooker as the cats meow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Assuming you are thinking of trading up for a QB.

 

Probably the only two that I think would make sense and that would have some value to another team would be JB and Hooker.  But then we are simply in a position of having to use another draft pick on a FS and then find another backup QB.  Not sure there is a net gain there than just using the draft pick on finding Hookers replacement as the trade bait.

 

Do we have another FS on the roster that can take his place?  Or sign somebody in FA?  That's the only way it would be an advantage to trade him, IMO.

The net gain is a QB. We had no drop off with Odum when hooker missed those three games. YEs eventually we need to find a play making safety but with the way Odum looked I don’t think it is a necessity right away.

 

I saw a tweet Eric berry took a year off on purpose to get is health right. That could be a nice veteran to bring in if we traded Hooker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The net gain is a QB. We had no drop off with Odum when hooker missed those three games. YEs eventually we need to find a play making safety but with the way Odum looked I don’t think it is a necessity right away.

 

I saw a tweet Eric berry took a year off on purpose to get is health right. That could be a nice veteran to bring in if we traded Hooker.

I meant that if we had to spend, say, a 3rd round pick to get the same level of play as we get from Hooker, then I would think the team we're trading with would probably just want the 3rd round pick.  That's what happens when you trade a starter, the capital you get back in the trade has to be spent on finding another starter. 

 

If someone we already have on the team, say, Odom (as you suggest), Willis, or even Tell emerged as a suitable replacement, then we could trade Hooker and could still keep our 3rd rounder as intended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess would be a starter like Walker or Moore.  I wouldn't want to give either up but that's what it might take if they really want a player.  I would want a solid starter.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Brissett is an obvious candidate, Hooker is still young, I don’t feel like giving up on him, neither will management.

 

Brissett and picks should do, if the trade is done for QB reasons

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

So if u willing to give up Hooker based on his play, why would another team want him,??  Honestly, there is no one on  the roster that is exempt from being traded.

 

Did you actually mean to write this,  or did something come out not as you intended?

 

Honest question.....

 

Because the names Quentin Nelson and Darius Leonard come to mind.    I'm quite confident they're not going anywhere.     If another team asks for them,  Ballard would shoot that down as fast as possible.

 

Those two are completely untouchable.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Did you actually mean to write this,  or did something come out not as you intended?

 

Honest question.....

 

Because the names Quentin Nelson and Darius Leonard come to mind.    I'm quite confident they're not going anywhere.     If another team asks for them,  Ballard would shoot that down as fast as possible.

 

Those two are completely untouchable.

 

I would add Kenny Moore to that also. Probably TY.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn't mind if Walker was traded. We'd still have Leonard, Okereke, Speed etc.
Geathers too but can't imagine he has much value.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

Wouldn't mind if Walker was traded. We'd still have Leonard, Okereke, Speed etc.
Geathers too but can't imagine he has much value.

Seriously?   I don't think Leonard would be very happy about that.  They are becoming a very good tandem.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

 

Did you actually mean to write this,  or did something come out not as you intended?

 

Honest question.....

 

Because the names Quentin Nelson and Darius Leonard come to mind.    I'm quite confident they're not going anywhere.     If another team asks for them,  Ballard would shoot that down as fast as possible.

 

Those two are completely untouchable.

 

I meant what I said. Hypothetical situation. Bengals trade u the  #1 pick for Leonar or Nelson and the Colts  #13. All day and everyday.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sometimes a player needs a change. It is also possible he just doesn’t fit what eberflus system wants him to do. He was drafted before eberflus got here. 

 

 

I thought he was a lot better in his 7 game rookie season in the 3-4 defense this defensive style just doesn't seem to fit what he does. Also im no longer sold on Eberflus either I think if this defense doesn't show a lot of improvement next season he needs to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RNGDShobby said:

Wouldn't mind if Walker was traded. We'd still have Leonard, Okereke, Speed etc.
Geathers too but can't imagine he has much value.

Geathers is a free agent and I would be stunned if he is resigned. Walker was actually good some games better than Leonard specifically early in the year the bad at times LB play was overshadowed late in the year from the horrendous play of the secondary. I wouldn't mind seeing Desir ousted he was horrible.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

I thought he was a lot better in his 7 game rookie season in the 3-4 defense this defensive style just doesn't seem to fit what he does. Also im no longer sold on Eberflus either I think if this defense doesn't show a lot of improvement next season he needs to go.

What makes me kind of mad is Eberflus keeps wanting to move him up closer to the LOS. That isn’t his strength. He is best roaming center field. It seems he is trying to turn him into something he isn’t. He isn’t a a SS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

What makes me kind of mad is Eberflus keeps wanting to move him up closer to the LOS. That isn’t his strength. He is best roaming center field. It seems he is trying to turn him into something he isn’t.

I agree moving him up to the LOS makes zero sense I don't like the zone scheme I think it will hold this team back from its potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, ColtStrong2013 said:


That would cost us on the value chart instead of gaining... 

How he was trash last year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I meant what I said. Hypothetical situation. Bengals trade u the  #1 pick for Leonar or Nelson and the Colts  #13. All day and everyday.

Bengals would be foolish to trade that pick period Burrow is by far the best QB in this draft nobody else is close not even Herbert.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Bengals would be foolish to trade that pick period Burrow is by far the best QB in this draft nobody else is close not even Herbert.

I agree. Its just that people were on me when I suggested that no one was untradeable on the Colts.  I engineered a scenario in which the Colts most likely trade a so called untouchable player

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Bengals would be foolish to trade that pick period Burrow is by far the best QB in this draft nobody else is close not even Herbert.

I am not sure he is better then Herbert. I do know he had a lot better talent around him then Herbert in a pro style offense. That LSU team was practically a NFL team.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Think of guys who you don’t want to trade...that’s who it would take.

 

Nobody’s gonna be over the moon about taking JB, Hooker, Walker, Lewis, Wilson, etc. Those last two would essentially be the equivalent of a late round pick.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Sometimes a player needs a change. It is also possible he just doesn’t fit what eberflus system wants him to do. He was drafted before eberflus got here. 

Hooker is fine for Flus's scheme. The problem is, the scheme falls apart without a pass rush. And we don't have one of those. Add a pass rush, and let him roam like a FS should, and he'll look completely different. 

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

The net gain is a QB. We had no drop off with Odum when hooker missed those three games. YEs eventually we need to find a play making safety but with the way Odum looked I don’t think it is a necessity right away.

 

I saw a tweet Eric berry took a year off on purpose to get is health right. That could be a nice veteran to bring in if we traded Hooker.

Odum really only replaced him wholly for one game, and that was vs KC (his second game out) when Mahomes was hobbled and they were missing WRs Hill and Watkins. We had 3 CBs on the field almost the entire game too. Odum only had 12 total snaps the first game Hooker was out, and 28 snaps the third game he was out. Milligan played just as much as Odum in that third game.

1 hour ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I meant what I said. Hypothetical situation. Bengals trade u the  #1 pick for Leonar or Nelson and the Colts  #13. All day and everyday.

I'd trade Leonard if I absolutely had to, but not Nelson. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

What makes me kind of mad is Eberflus keeps wanting to move him up closer to the LOS. That isn’t his strength. He is best roaming center field. It seems he is trying to turn him into something he isn’t. He isn’t a a SS.

I didn't see this too much, only on specific packages, and mostly on running downs or short yardage. The bigger problem was playing the DBs (especially the CBs) to deep, and not close enough to the LOS. That, combined with no pass rush is why we got ate up underneath time and time again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Moosejawcolt said:

I meant what I said. Hypothetical situation. Bengals trade u the  #1 pick for Leonar or Nelson and the Colts  #13. All day and everyday.

Well...   at least we’re clear.    You put it out there.    Just wanted to make sure I understood you correctly.

 

Thanks....

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, ColtStrong2013 said:


That would cost us on the value chart instead of gaining... 

 

19 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

How he was trash last year.

 

you said Viniateri was who you would trade.. I said that would cost us in value versus gaining in a trade... 

 

meaning: we would be more likely to have to pay someone to accept his trade than someone pay us for him. 

 

Understand?


example: 
Chris Ballard to Bengals: we’ll trade you 13, 34, 2021 1st, 2nd, 2021 1st and Viniateri for that #1 pick (Joe Burrow)

 

Bengals: Drop Viniateri and you have  a deal... otherwise, go ahead and throw your 3rd round pick in there. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never said we would have to give up less picks if we added a player to the mix. Maybe the extra player would win us the trade. I would suspect we would still have to give up the same amount of draft capitol. The player would just be a sweetener to help get the trade done.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t  think hookers that bad he regressed in pass coverage but his tackling was more Solid this year and this year he also was playing so damn deep soon as the ball was hiked he’d be backpedaling even deeper the schemes were an issue 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hooker

 

Not because he’s bad, but because he’s someone you can survive without but also he has legitimate value in a trade. I’d throw Parris Campbell in there too. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on how far/who we are trading up for.  I might be willing to give up Nelson for Burrow although that's a tough call.  

 

I'm not sure how far Hooker would move us up the board.  I'm thinking maybe 5 spots for a team in need of a safety.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It doesn’t even have to be someone who has a lot of value. It is just someone that could sweeten the deal and help us win a trade up. It would not involve less draft picks. I mean even a guy like Quincy Wilson could sweeten it just enough. Hooker, Wilson, Autry. Even Lewis if we were able to get a couple Dline players in FA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...