Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
chad72

Senior Bowl Gameday thread

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, stitches said:

Depends on whether you can make the throw from platform, but choose to make it off-platform(generally on-platform being more technically sound and giving more control to the passer) or if your pocket collapses and you have to make the throw off-platform(this being the situation here)... and of course it depends on whether you can make those throws or not. Love can make them. He made it in this situation, he threw a catchable ball 50 yards downfield from an extremely hard situation. His receiver just didn't even look for it. 

 

 

I think a lot more QBs can do that than you're probably thinking.  What comes into play is to choose to do that or not.  That's what I was asking, whether or not to choose to throw it off of one foot, off platform, not a perfect throw 50 yards down field was a good choice in that situation. A positive thing or a negative thing.  Didn't know if it was the last 20 seconds of the half and he had to make the throw.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Is there only three QB on each team? Maybe Herbert and love play the fourth.

They said Love will play in the 4th. I don't know about Herbert. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Conspiracy theory. Patricia wants Love at 3 so he made sure to call bad plays lol.

 

That is what I was thinking. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think a lot more QBs can do that than you're probably thinking.  What comes into play is to choose to do that or not.  That's what I was asking, whether or not to choose to throw it off of one foot, off platform, not a perfect throw 50 yards down field was a good choice in that situation.   Didn't know if it was the last 20 seconds of the half and he had to make the throw.  

It was the end of the quarter. Don't remember how much time exactly was left. 

 

But yeah, the second part of my answer was- depends on whether you can make those throws. Everyone can release the ball, not everyone can get it to where it needs to go consistently. But yeah... there is a YOLO element to Love's game. This is more than clear. IMO some of it is because he believes he can make those throws and he makes enough of them. IMO you will need to refine some of his decisions in such situations and you will need to rein him in a bit. Not all of his situations are good. Sometimes he would throw it in double coverage like that. This one wasn't one of those- he put it away from the defender where only his receiver could get it, but the receiver didn't turn around for the ball. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On the halftime show they did also discuss Hurts. The first point was he had zero time to throw. They said he continues to impress with his demeanor. He gets no time, gets hit and immediately gets up to encourage his time. Head stays up in the sideline. 
 

Love looks the part of the big arm. Will be interesting in the 4th quarter. Excited to see Gordon in the 3rd. 
 

Also, Herbert is easily the most polished of everyone. 2nd best QB in draft in my opinion. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

On the halftime show they did also discuss Hurts. The first point was he had zero time to throw. They said he continues to impress with his demeanor. He gets no time, gets hit and immediately gets up to encourage his time. Head stays up in the sideline. 
 

Love looks the part of the big arm. Will be interesting in the 4th quarter. Excited to see Gordon in the 3rd. 
 

Also, Herbert is easily the most polished of everyone. 2nd best QB in draft in my opinion. 

Yeah, someone said that during the week they could see how fast Herbert could process information. I think that’s why he looks more polished right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@stitches Are there any offensive linemen playing in this game with whom you are impressed? Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, NFLfan said:

@stitches Are there any offensive linemen with whom you are impressed? Thanks. 

Honestly, I've been watching mostly the QBs. The LSU guys seem very solid - Lewis and Cushenberry... Josh Jones(OT, Houston) looks to have good movement skills but his measurements weren't great length-wise so I don't know what to make of him yet. 

 

This is not my opinion but rather what I've seen discussed - seems like the small school guy - Ben Bartch(OT, St. John) has done well, Matt Hennessy(OC/OG Temple) has done well too. 

 

Are you guys still looking for linemen? What happened with the center you got? Didn't he play well? 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, stitches said:

It was the end of the quarter. Don't remember how much time exactly was left. 

 

But yeah, the second part of my answer was- depends on whether you can make those throws. Everyone can release the ball, not everyone can get it to where it needs to go consistently. But yeah... there is a YOLO element to Love's game. This is more than clear. IMO some of it is because he believes he can make those throws and he makes enough of them. IMO you will need to refine some of his decisions in such situations and you will need to rein him in a bit. Not all of his situations are good. Sometimes he would throw it in double coverage like that. This one wasn't one of those- he put it away from the defender where only his receiver could get it, but the receiver didn't turn around for the ball. 

I think the important thing is Love is aware that he has to work on limiting his risks but also taking risks. He is self aware so that says a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

For anyone that is curious, Anthony Gordon looked great on opening drive of 3rd Quarter. Processed, quick release. Went right down for TD. 

 

Yep, he looked impressive. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3rd Quarter. 
 

Gordon has looked great. 2 TD drives and one TD pass to my favorite WR- Claypool. 
 

He has processed the field well and shown great vision. That release is amazing. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

For anyone that is curious, Anthony Gordon looked great on opening drive of 3rd Quarter. Processed, quick release. Went right done for TD. 

I liked Gordon’s play the best so far. Even more than Herberts. He is very efficient and made good decisions. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gordon looks good. But taking anything out of this game and saying it will transfer to nfl is foolsgold.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gordon has been good. His release is quite something to watch... it's out of his hands before you realize it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

For anyone that is curious, Anthony Gordon looked great on opening drive of 3rd Quarter. Processed, quick release. Went right down for TD. 

 

Right now, after all I have seen and read, I am a bit reluctant to take the risk on Jordan Love compared to a Justin Herbert at No.13. I am speaking objectively here.

 

I am not in favor of trading up for Jordan Love or Herbert, I want to stand pat at No.13 and see how things fall for the Colts. If one of them is there, fine, but I wouldn't be giving up huge draft capital for it. 

 

I am back to my first offseason mock where I get Kinlaw at No.13 and move back into Round 1 in the late teens, to see if one of either Herbert or Love drop there and move back in with a trade then. I also feel Anthony Gordon will be available in Round 3.

 

My first offseason mock I had still stands in my thought process :) - I know some of you will disagree but IMO, it will be the best direction for us. We will see how it plays out. The 1 year sit-and-get-QB-ready-philosophy will be a BIG part of the decision making, when it is all said and done.

 

 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Gordon looks good. But taking anything out of this game and saying it will transfer to nfl is foolsgold.

Ballard, Dodd’s and Reich have said exactly the opposite of what you just said. They take this game very seriously 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Right now, after all I have seen and read, I am a bit reluctant to take the risk on Jordan Love compared to a Justin Herbert at No.13. I am speaking objectively here.

 

I am not in favor of trading up for Jordan Love or Herbert, I want to stand pat at No.13 and see how things fall for the Colts. If one of them is there, fine, but I wouldn't be giving up huge draft capital for it. 

 

I am back to my first offseason mock where I get Kinlaw at No.13 and move back into Round 1 in the late teens, to see if one of either Herbert or Love drop there and move back in with a trade then. I also feel Anthony Gordon will be available in Round 3.

 

My first offseason mock I had still stands in my thought process :) - I know some of you will disagree but IMO, it will be the best direction for us.

 

 

That’s how I feel as well. Kinlaw is going to be awesome.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While Gordon has been efficient he hasn’t answered my biggest question on him and that’s accuracy beyond 20 yards

 

(Note: I’m just watching the play by play)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Ballard, Dodd’s and Reich have said exactly the opposite of what you just said. They take this game very seriously 

Then why do none of them stay and watch in person. Everything I have read says organizations put more weight in the practices during the week then the game. 

 

Gordon needs to put in about 20 lbs.

Just now, Zoltan said:

While Gordon has been efficient he hasn’t answered my biggest question on him and that’s accuracy beyond 20 yards

Yep. It’s his arm strength and being able to make all the throws that is the question.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

 

Gordon needs to put in about 20 lbs.

 

That, I agree on, since he does not have the elusive ability to escape like his predecessor Minshew, IMO. At some point, folks won't always be open, and things will break down in the NFL and he will get hit often right as he throws. That is also why I feel he will be available in Round 3.

 

We will see. It will be a fun draft :), IF you don't worry about who we will draft, LOL. We just want to win our division and go from there and see where it takes us. We all start back at 0-0.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Chloe6124 said:

Gordon needs to put in about 20 lbs.

Yeah.  And I think that will be tough to do.  I'm no biologist, just looks narrow framed. 

 

A backup that will give you great games and fans will want to start, but will miss a lot of games if he does.  

 

Just a Kreskin projection.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Troy Pride of ND having himself a good play with that INT following a stellar week of practice. Because of his size, he might be available at the end of Day 2 in Round 3.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Justin Herbert would be a perfect fit in Reich offense. Looked crisp and decisive in his delivery. Very polished. There is no question he is ready for the next level. He has everything you would want in a franchise QB. 

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gotta say, Jordan Love has a decent set of wheels. And he's been solid running the North team. Not sure why he was held back until the fourth quarter, but he's done well so far. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Justin Herbert would be a perfect fit in Reich offense. Looked crisp and decisive in his delivery. Very polished. There is no question he is ready for the next level. He has everything you would want in a franchise QB. 

 

I agree, as well as that, I think his personality would be perfect for Reich. He is a super smart guy (academic All American) and seems very coach-able. I think he is the type Frank would enjoy working with.

 

Not that I'm not high on players like Jordan Love or Anthony Gordan, but I think if Ballard believes Herbert is a franchise talent, then he has to probably cut a deal with the Giants to move above the Chargers. It could hurt us in the short term, giving up alot of picks, but getting a franchise QB is everything.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nothing new learned in this game. This was more to see how kids prepared all week ect. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Hoose said:

Gotta say, Jordan Love has a decent set of wheels. And he's been solid running the North team. Not sure why he was held back until the fourth quarter, but he's done well so far. 

he is iffy at best even with the good WR he has he didnt do much beside just run

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Freenyfan102 said:

he is iffy at best even with the good WR he has he didnt do much beside just run

The pass in the first should of been a TD. The WR didn’t track the ball ow lost it in the sun. Both his passes that were deep the WR is at fault.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Colt Overseas said:

 

I agree, as well as that, I think his personality would be perfect for Reich. He is a super smart guy (academic All American) and seems very coach-able. I think he is the type Frank would enjoy working with.

 

Not that I'm not high on players like Jordan Love or Anthony Gordan, but I think if Ballard believes Herbert is a franchise talent, then he has to probably cut a deal with the Giants to move above the Chargers. It could hurt us in the short term, giving up alot of picks, but getting a franchise QB is everything.

That's the $64,000 dollar question.  Will Ballard cut a deal and trade those high picks to move up to get a QB?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gordon has a quick release and throws with anticipation. Herbert didn’t show anything down field but was efficient. Defenses are sophisticated so it’s hard to really tell anything.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stitches said:

Are you guys still looking for linemen? What happened with the center you got? Didn't he play well? 

 

Thank you for your reply. I always appreciate your impression on players. Yes, we still need OL. We are over the salary cap and will have to cut guys and/or restructure contracts to make space. We will likely cut Reilly Reiff. Pat Elflein has not played well since his rookie year. I'm not sure how long we will keep him.

 

Bradbury played well at times but he made his rookie mistakes. He needs another year or two to improve. 

 

A team can never have enough linemen; so, I am always looking for ones in the draft. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That's the $64,000 dollar question.  Will Ballard cut a deal and trade those high picks to move up to get a QB?  

 

That's very true. He is the ultimate hoarder of picks lol.

 

Of the 5 teams that have played in the last 3 Superbowls, the Rams, Eagles and Chiefs all gave up 1st round picks to get their QB. If you want a franchise QB, you usually have to tank or give up a premium. 

 

No doubt the decision is the pivotal moment of Chris Ballard's career.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

That's the $64,000 dollar question.  Will Ballard cut a deal and trade those high picks to move up to get a QB?  

Yes.  We all know that a few draft picks this year or next year means basically nothing for a Qb you can start for 10 years.  Ballard knows this too.  

 

Relatively speaking, position players can be found every year in the draft and FA, but not a QB.

 

Not saying that Herbert is that QB, but if he is, the price to pay to move up is really peanuts in the whole scheme of things.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of the reasons I think ballard likes all the picks is because it also gives you options. Doesn’t mean you have to use them all. But it makes anything possible.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gordon didn’t hurt his draft stock

 

Late 2nd seems the place for him

 

The lighting quick release is very tough to defend and give pressure

 

Unless CB wants to trade up a decent option would be

 

Kinlaw 3T

Isaiah Wilson OT
Gordon QB

 

First 3 picks

 

Best WR/TE in 3rd round

 

Need FA DL and WR

 

Fills holes on both lines

 

QB to develop

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I mean no two situations are 1:1 carbon copies. Love suffered loss of talent Mahomes didn't suffer. I also disagree about his receivers bailing him out in 2018. There was nothing to bail him out for in 2018. He was a much safer and much more in control player in 2018 because he had some relatively good weapons and he knew he didn't have to do everything by himself. He also had an offensive head coach who actually knew what he was doing, unlike in 2019. I've never seen a high end QB work with such poor supporting case that could rarely separate and was dropping passes left and right.    The Wake Forest game is weird, because he made a lot of mistakes there, but he also kept them in the game for longer than their talent suggested they can keep up with them. Also there are plenty of games where they actually fell behind big and he was pressing a ton trying to make things happen. Take the LSU game as a perfect example. He was making some exceptional throws in the beginning of the game and was moving their offense really well against a team with 3 first round DBs covering his horrible WRs who dropped 2 TD passes if I'm not mistaken. After which they fell behind and he started forcing it, which resulted in several picks and overall poor performance for the rest of the game.    The discrepancy between Love's first half vs Love's second half performances is kind of eye-popping and there is a reason for it. By PFF his rating was 85 in first halves and it was in the 50s in second halves of games(I'm citing this by memory, apologies for not being able to find the exact numbers)... From what I've seen he was forcing things a lot this last season. 
    • The only reason that I'm not sure it's a lock that Rivers becomes a Colt is that the idea is becoming conventional wisdom. Maybe there's a better move to be made, but if it's Rivers or JB, it's not a debate. Take the band aid option, as that's better than a team deteriorating infection.    And #13 should be used to find a QB if Ballard likes who's available irrespective. 
    • 7 mil per year should be the max for him   if you look at that link i posted, 8 million or more would be paying him top 5 RB money.  i dont think he has the leverage to push for top 5 money 
    • For the people in the back as well, LA has nothing left contractually with him. He is no longer apart of the organization, so there is no "releasing" him, he's already listed as a FA. Olsen is irrelevant because he was released while under contract. AGAIN, FA's can't be communicated with until the start of the new league year.    Come on guys.. this stuff has been talked about endlessly on here and is easy to look up as well.
    • Bone headed plays are not a huge red flag because, as you indicate, all QBs have them... the same bone headed plays through out two years as a starter is a red flag though.
  • Members

    • danlhart87

      danlhart87 1,448

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsGermany

      ColtsGermany 215

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BSteph1

      BSteph1 3

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • richard pallo

      richard pallo 2,470

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • runthepost

      runthepost 930

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • BleedBlu8792

      BleedBlu8792 1,568

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dark_Indy

      Dark_Indy 262

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Pelt

      Pelt 642

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • KB

      KB 470

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • WarGhost21

      WarGhost21 1,216

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...