Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Senior Bowl Gameday thread

6 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I posted this in the wrong thread earlier but do you think the qb rankings changed by the performances in the game?  I couldn’t see it 

tbh, I feel like the Senior Bowl has helped me reinforce who I want at QB for the Colts.

Coming into it I had:
1. Herbert

2.Love

3. Eason

The week has sort of reinforced that order. Love was good but I still liked Herbert's fit with the Colts more

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Fluke_33 said:

I posted this in the wrong thread earlier but do you think the qb rankings changed by the performances in the game?  I couldn’t see it 

I don’t think so. Herbert was efficient but no deep passes. Love had a couple beautiful deep balls where it was on the WR. One was on one foot and was just beautiful and effortless with the pocket collapsing. Had a flea flicker and he didn’t like the deep pass so checked it down. He didn’t show anything where you are going to say he looked bad. He handed off a lot. Herbert won mvp but it should of been Gordon. He has a quick release and throws with anticipation but didn’t show anything to lessen the questions about his arm strength.

I agree Herbert would fit Reichs system perfect. I would be happy with him or Love.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

One of the reasons I think ballard likes all the picks is because it also gives you options. Doesn’t mean you have to use them all. But it makes anything possible.

I think he gets that its a crapshoot

I have heard that many front office folks believe its a 50/50 rate on all position picks 

(Its less on QBs for them to go to playoffs)

If you are at 50%.... more picks in early rounds SHOULD deliver more quality players

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MikeCurtis said:

I think he gets that its a crapshoot

I have heard that many front office folks believe its a 50/50 rate on all position picks 

(Its less on QBs for them to go to playoffs)

If you are at 50%.... more picks in early rounds SHOULD deliver more quality players

I think it is both. Gives you more opportunities to hit. But it also gives you the chance to do anything you want in the draft.

The way I see the QBs:

1. Love=Ballard’s type

2. Herbert=Reich’s type

Id bet money that one of them are a Colt in April. Which one, I can’t say though. It’s funny too because each of the QB’s weaknesses are the others strengths. Love can be inaccurate at times while Herbert has excellent accuracy. Herbert struggles against pressure but Love is deadly off-script. 

What a decision on our FOR has on their hands. 

• Like 8

I also think we have enough Talent on this team that Herbert could start immediately and probably have pretty good success. 

With the giants never wanting to move down in the draft we might not even be able to find a trade partner to move up. Lion could shock everyone and take a QB. There really isn’t much opportunity to move up before the chargers.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Then why do none of them stay and watch in person. Everything I have read says organizations put more weight in the practices during the week then the game. 

According to Reich, or Dodds, I forget which. They can get a better perspective from the game film.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, RNGDShobby said:

According to Reich, or Dodds, I forget which. They can get a better perspective from the game film.

Yeah I am sure that is right. But everything I have seen it’s more about seeing them prepare and practice during the week. I don’t think they are going to learn anything they didn’t by a allstar game.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Yeah I am sure that is right. But everything I have seen it’s more about seeing them prepare and practice during the week. I don’t think they are going to learn anything they didn’t by a allstar game.

No. And Dodds said they their guys dont punish the players too much for a bad week at SB but reward them highly for a good week.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I also think we have enough Talent on this team that Herbert could start immediately and probably have pretty good success. 

With the giants never wanting to move down in the draft we might not even be able to find a trade partner to move up. Lion could shock everyone and take a QB. There really isn’t much opportunity to move up before the chargers.

Kyle Crabbs spoke about the Lions and maybe needing a QB, he said that it will likely just to try and drum up trade value instead of actually taking a QB (Stafford's cap hit is really high if they were to cut him etc)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

Kyle Crabbs spoke about the Lions and maybe needing a QB, he said that it will likely just to try and drum up trade value instead of actually taking a QB (Stafford's cap hit is really high if they were to cut him etc)

Or they could trade him to the Colts.  But I think they will most likely trade back and use the picks to strengthen the team.  

2 minutes ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

Maybe they don’t cut Stafford. Draft someone and they sit a year. I mean they could take TUA or Love and sit them a year. I agree though it’s probably just to scare teams that they might take the QB they want. Lions would be smart to move down. They could probably still get the player they want at 13. I mean would the OSU corner go from 4th to 12th is they traded with us.

I also don’t think the raiders are taking a QB at 12. Mayok said DT is top priority and they have a good QB. So there is no reason for them to take a QB over a guy like Kinlaw. I do think Herbert or Love will be there at 13 if TUA medicals are ok and he can throw before the draft. I don’t think the panthers take a QB this draft.

1 hour ago, GoColtsGo5150 said:

1 hour ago, richard pallo said:

Or they could trade him to the Colts.  But I think they will most likely trade back and use the picks to strengthen the team.  

If the rumors are true the Lion's ownership said win next season or everyone is gone. If this is the case I can't see how a rookie QB is going to give them a better chance than Stafford.  Also they would probably be better off spending their #3 pick on a "win now" piece versus a rookie QB who may have to sit a year, or even trading down a bit and possibly acquiring a couple immediate impact players. But who knows with all the misinformation this time of year. 

• Like 2

I did not get to watch the Senior Bowl but I did look at the stat lines.  Was Gordon that good or was it just circumstances?  Is there anything anyone saw in Love or Herbert that would make them CLEARLY better than Gordon, whom may be had in round 2-3?  THAT to me is the most important question in the draft for the Colts.  Of course, this is all assuming that one of those top 4 QB's is even there at #13 because I don't see Ballard moving up to get any of those guys.

6 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I did not get to watch the Senior Bowl but I did look at the stat lines.  Was Gordon that good or was it just circumstances?  Is there anything anyone saw in Love or Herbert that would make them CLEARLY better than Gordon, whom may be had in round 2-3?  THAT to me is the most important question in the draft for the Colts.  Of course, this is all assuming that one of those top 4 QB's is even there at #13 because I don't see Ballard moving up to get any of those guys.

Gordon hit on some shorter throws. Nothing he did answers the questions about his arm strength. However he does get the ball out quick and throws with anticipation. He had a nice TD on his back foot with a fade to the corner of the endzone.

Love and Herbert looked in control.  Loves two long passes were on the WR.  They were beautiful throws. One was like 50 yards on his back foot and was just effortless while the pocket collapsed. He had a lot of hand offs to the RB. He had a couple nice shorter throws in the fourth.

So no I don’t think Gordon did anything that made it look like he outplayed them. All three did what they needed to. They didn’t hurt or help their draft position.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Gordon looks good. But taking anything out of this game and saying it will transfer to nfl is foolsgold.

So, Love's long incompletion is a TD in the NFL (according to you transferring what happens in the game to the NFL) but Gordon's field awareness, quick release and good decisions is fool's gold?

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

So, Love's long incompletion is a TD in the NFL (according to you transferring what happens in the game to the NFL) but Gordon's field awareness, quick release and good decisions is fool's gold?

Gordon’s arm strength is the question. He didn’t do anything to answer that question. My point was mainly these QB really aren’t getting any complicated looks on defense or anything. 

54 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Herbert was, IMO, on a different level than the other QBs in the game on both sides of the ball.  But Gordon was easily the 2nd best QB on the field today.  Patterson and Montez will go undrafted, Hurts will probably fall to the 5th or 6th round, Love will probably fall to the 2nd round.

11 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I was also talking about Love and that pass transferring to the nfl because of the WR not Love. A TY Hilton would of tracked that ball better.

Ahh, but the defensive players in the NFL would have tracked that ball better as well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Gordon’s arm strength is the question. He didn’t do anything to answer that question. My point was mainly these QB really aren’t getting any complicated looks on defense or anything. 

Qbs are not getting complicated looks that is true.  And in the less complicated defensive schemes, Gordon played better, threw better and made better decisions than Love.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Qbs are not getting complicated looks that is true.  And in the less complicated defensive schemes, Gordon played better, threw better and made better decisions than Love.

Not really. Love had more hand offs to the RB. It’s not like Love was inaccurate. I believe he only missed two passes on deep balls and both were on the WR. Love didn’t throw as much. 

20 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Herbert was, IMO, on a different level than the other QBs in the game on both sides of the ball.  But Gordon was easily the 2nd best QB on the field today.  Patterson and Montez will go undrafted, Hurts will probably fall to the 5th or 6th round, Love will probably fall to the 2nd round.

Ahh, but the defensive players in the NFL would have tracked that ball better as well.

While Gordon had a good game he didn't address the issue of accuracy beyond 20 yards, and with his not terrible but not good week at the SB. I really don't think he helped his stock.

As for Love I don't see him falling outside of the 1st round.

Remember the week of Prep is what's important to the scouts not the game

I was right. Love was 4/6. So he didn’t have as many passing opportunities as Gordon or Herbert. So not sure what Patricia was trying to do by not doing more with him. Unless it was more to showcase his deep ball on play action. All three actually looked like they were completely in control of what they were doing. The other three were kind of a mess.

2 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

If this is true then I am feeling more confident we will be making a move for a QB.  It appears they really did their scouting on Love and most likely all of the other QB prospects during the year.  I would bet they already have the rookie QB's ranked and know who would be their 1st choice.  The combine would only validate their choice.   Now they need to address the choices in FA and the trade route.  Right now I think those paths are more fluid and not as clear.  But those paths are still open.  The weeks following the SB will bring more clarity on the FA front and I think GM's will start making calls to each other regarding trade possibilities.  Then it's all about comparing the pros and cons for each path and making a decision on which one to pursue.  But the draft class QB's.  I think they know who their guy would be.  

• Like 1

As long as the panthers and raiders go defense or WR Love or Herbert will be there. It’s just whether you want to take that risk or move up.  I think both those teams are probably going defense. Especially if Brown anc Kinlaw are there. Panthers could be a trade partner if we think Oakland might take a QB. There is always a team pulls a KC though and wants one of them even though they are winning. Vikings and titans come to mind.

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

When will these QB typically have their pro day for teams to watch them work out? It’s also possible Eason and Fromm rise in draft boards if they have a good pro day and combine. Eason is one I could see move way up. Fromm would need to show that he can do things teams think he can’t.

Usually after the combine. I still think for most non-injured players(Tua) the meetings and interviews with the prospects are more important for the teams especially at QB than anything they can show on a football field in non-competitive environment(pro days, drills at combine, etc.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I was right. Love was 4/6. So he didn’t have as many passing opportunities as Gordon or Herbert. So not sure what Patricia was trying to do by not doing more with him. Unless it was more to showcase his deep ball on play action. All three actually looked like they were completely in control of what they were doing. The other three were kind of a mess.

Because, unlike our Senior Bowl threads, the Senior Bowl is about more things than showcasing QBs.

BTW, Love mentioned that his mentor, or game he wants to pattern after, is Mahomes.  Do you think that may have changed his approach from 2018 to 2019?  Where he tries to do the Mahomes thing instead of trying to look like more of a normal NFL QB?  Just wondering.

13 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This is a HUGE point

Everyone says “Just trade up and get your guy”

The Lions and Redskins picks are the only real options

The Redskins will almost HAVE to stay put and pick Chase Young a kid better than BOTH Bosas...... 

That leaves Lions before the QBs Not named Burrows start going off the board

I see a few teams that are in front of us... Carolina, Miami, and LAC that have a better first round picks to offer to Detroit ..... It will be a bidding war

If you look at Miami, they need a QB

If you look at LAC, they need a QB

The wildcard is Carolina. But really.....  Our current QB Situation is arguably BETTER than Carolinas...... (Many many reports that Cam is done there)

There are teams like NE, Maybe MN, Raiders, TB that might go for a QB and trade for it

It will be an interesting draft day

I would be surprised if there weren’t 4 QBs taken off the board before our pick

• Like 1