Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

What would the Colts have to give up in a trade for Derek Carr?

35 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

Carr ..... If available.........

Is the safest QB POSSIBLE option available to put us back in playoffs in 2020

But.... remember even the experts are hitting less than 25% on rumors becoming reality

I doubt it happens

The rumor out there now is the Raiders going after Brady.  Personally I can see that rumor making a lot of sense and being realistic.  No rumor on Carr yet.  Some of us are anticipating and hoping that a Carr trade would happen.  But we are in for a longer wait on that possibility even on a rumor as a possibility. 

On 1/25/2020 at 8:44 PM, Four2itus said:

Honestly, the OP asked for "What would it take", but quickly becomes, "What we should or should not give up".

To answer, I doubt the Raiders would take #34 alone, because they will get better from another team. I'm afraid it would take #32 & the #75..or better. 

Maybe they would, but there are a ton of QBs that could be available, sure varying degrees of desirability, but guys like Rivers, Bridgewater, Newton, Crab Snatcher, Dalton, Carr, are all mediocre to plus starters that will play somewhere... In addition to the handful of rookies coming in... 

There will be guys available if the team is Interested... If you arent adding a premium QB, you probably won't have to give up a premium price.

2 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

If they say, Carr is as good as any QB that can get you into the playoffs based on what they're saying about him. Why on earth is Gruden trying to rid  of him, this is mind bugling.  Gruden should get some players around him....Doesn't make sense to me...

Huge difference in personalties for a starter.  Oil and water.  There are many reports confirming that.  Reich and Carr would be like peanut butter and jelly.  

21 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Huge difference in personalties for a starter.  Oil and water.  There are many reports confirming that.  Reich and Carr would be like peanut butter and jelly.  

You have a good point there. The only thing that makes me nervous is if it doesn’t work it really sets the team back. I see all the young QB now becoming the stars of the league and that is what I want. Seems the veteran QB are going out of style now. New fresh faces are pushing them aside.

18 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

You have a good point there. The only thing that makes me nervous is if it doesn’t work it really sets the team back. I see all the young QB now becoming the stars of the league and that is what I want. Seems the veteran QB are going out of style now. New fresh faces are pushing them aside.

I would agree. Carr is the only FA/trade I would even consider, because he is so young still (29). 

1 minute ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I would agree. Carr is the only FA/trade I would even consider, because he is so young still (29). 

Carr is still a veteran and I would rather draft a young kid if there is one out there they like. Carr just does not excite me. It’s starting to be a young QB league again.  We are going to have to compete with a lot of hot shot Young QB in the AFC going forward. 

14 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

The older veterans are about to move on.  They have been around a long time but their style of playing is not disappearing any time soon.  They are just past their prime.   Carr or Stafford or Bridgewater are not old.  They are around the same age as Luck.  If a rookie doesn't work we are also set back.  Maybe even more if we don't find out right away.  Carr would step in and elevate us to being SB contenders immediately.  I would rather go that route and not lose another year. If he was the answer we could have a long successful run with him. 

• Like 1

On 1/25/2020 at 11:13 AM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

IF AC retires, I would draft a LT at #13, DT at #44, and a WR in round 3. If we did trade our #34 for Carr.

This is solid! 

On 1/25/2020 at 1:50 PM, chad72 said:

If we get Carr, both Hoyer and Chad Kelly will probably get cut, helps on multiple fronts w.r.t roster spots and getting an instant starter that fits Reich's system. 

However, we'd have to make that trade after the No.12 pick, IMO. You have to force the Raiders' hand first, to declare their pick and call them over the next 15 minutes to do it. In other words, a few things need to happen:

1. Stay pat at No.13, no matter what

2. Then, see if the Raiders get a QB at No.12

3. If both of those happen, I feel the Raiders will take the No.34 for Carr but if the Raiders do not go QB, you go on as originally planned because that might mean Raiders would demand No.13 for Carr, which would be a non-starter for me

My thinking would be that if LVR took a QB at 12, they lose leverage on trading Carr for a higher pick. Teams know they can offer less or just wait until they cut him. I see a third round pick being enough in your scenario. 

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

No veteran QB excites me. I want a young stud. That is exciting.

Carr isn’t an old recycled guy, he is like restarting with Luck again. 

7 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Carr is still a veteran and I would rather draft a young kid if there is one out there they like. Carr just does not excite me. It’s starting to be a young QB league again.  We are going to have to compete with a lot of hot shot Young QB in the AFC going forward. 

If we were to get Carr, he gives this team 6 solid seasons at least. That is an adequate return imho and allows you to grab a guy 4 years down the road to start grooming. Carr would be a safe pick and allow the defense to also grow into a tougher force along the way. 

• Like 4

On 1/25/2020 at 9:54 PM, chad72 said:

Brissett being around for 1 more year with a couple of years in Reich’s system elevates him to the reliable backup spot that Hoyer was supposed to be. Having a backup with a floor like Brissett with Carr as starter makes Kelly expendable. That’s my thought process.

No, i totally disagree. Brissett lost the team. Or at least some of the team. He has to go and ASAP. Kelley was kept for a reason and it wasn't a favor. LOL 

4 minutes ago, lincolndefan said:

No, i totally disagree. Brissett lost the team. Or at least some of the team. He has to go and ASAP. Kelley was kept for a reason and it wasn't a favor. LOL 

Brissett was fine until he added tape and coordinators were better able to plan for his issues. He was injured on top of that and then lost his primary weapons but still, after the half, he just looked like a rookie again. I don’t trust that JB can come back and build upon what he worked through last year. I think it’s certainly time to look elsewhere for our starter, whether it’s CK, Carr or #1 draft pick. You can’t stay and hope JB learned enough to be the guy moving forward. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Carr certainly is no Mahomes.  Let's get that out of the way first.  But then who is?  Carr would instantly make the Colts contenders again because CB has built the roster the right way in fixing the OL, and now has the draft capital and cap space to take care of the other side of the line.  And THAT is how you build the foundation of a Superbowl team.  Add a QB that averages about 70% in completion percentage yet can go deep when needed with good touch on the ball?  Yeah, you're going to contend.  The only questions I have is how much is it going to take and how healthy is Carr?  Other than that, I'm IN and would rather they get a still young guy like Carr than take a RISK on a college guy who may or may not be anything in the NFL from a weak QB class.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, MikeCurtis said:

I'll say.  They are saying a trade could come as early as this week.  Do they know something we don't?  And they are expecting us to get out from under JBs contract and save 10m in cap space soon.  Out of the teams they mentioned as possible destinations they think we make the most sense.  We do have pick 34 which would be the highest 2nd they could acquire.  This would be huge for the Colts if they could get a trade in place before FA.   Very interesting article indeed.  

I have a hard time thinking the colts would make that trade before the draft. If they did that means they don’t like any of the QB.  That story is a bunch of speculation and no substance. Carolina is going to be working out Cam in March to see if he is healthy enough to keep. There is nothing that says that are trading him yet.

1 hour ago, Freenyfan102 said:

I would not even trade for Carr even with a 7th round pick this team has to many whole to fill and it would be a waste of a draft pic on a guy who has of yet made it far into the playoff

If Ballard could get Carr for a 7th round pick and didn't? 

He should be run out of town, no question ask. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 2/2/2020 at 10:41 PM, Thunderbolt said:

If they say, Carr is as good as any QB that can get you into the playoffs based on what they're saying about him. Why on earth is Gruden trying to rid  of him, this is mind bugling.  Gruden should get some players around him....Doesn't make sense to me...

Gruden pretty much hates any QB on his team not named Steve Young.

He hasn't been kind to any QBs since he left the 49ers. 

Personally, I would be willing to trade any pick other than the 13th for Carr. I would try and lowball the Raiders at first with a 4th or 5th round offer but be willing to trade the 34th for him. He is a solid QB who would be an instant upgrade over JB. He may not be Peyton Manning or Andrew Luck but he is a solid starting QB.

• Like 2

So to bring this backup. It now known that the raiders are looking at other QBs. So they have lost a little leverage. I truly believe that Carr could be had for a 2nd rounder this and a late round pick next year. 

So my question to everyone. Is this actually a possibility. I think Derek Carr to the Colts could have a Drew Brees to the Saints kinda effect. Not only would his talent mesh perfectly but his personality as well.

No one really discusses this but Carr is a devoted Christian and has very deep beliefs. Who else in our locker room has that... lol. Frank Reich does. This could be a perfect match. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So to bring this backup. It now known that the raiders are looking at other QBs. So they have lost a little leverage. I truly believe that Carr could be had for a 2nd rounder this and a late round pick next year. 

So my question to everyone. Is this actually a possibility. I think Derek Carr to the Colts could have a Drew Brees to the Saints kinda effect. Not only would his talent mesh perfectly but his personality as well.

No one really discusses this but Carr is a devoted Christian and has very deep beliefs. Who else in our locker room has that... lol. Frank Reich does. This could be a perfect match. 

It's interesting you mentioned that.  My brother has been a Raiders fan all his life and he said the same thing about Carr's religious beliefs.  He said it's almost born again like.  He said Raider fans think that contributes to the relationship problems with Gruden.  Truly very different personalties.  Reich and Carr would probably be very similar in temperment and beliefs and Ballard as well for that matter.  

On 1/25/2020 at 1:49 PM, stitches said:

I wonder if people know Derek Carr was even more of a dink and dunker than Brissett last year. Sure he was doing it better than Brissett, but he was doing the same constant checkdown and short passes Brissett fell in love with. 

Yep, and even worse he was starting to have the deer in the headlights look. PFF called him an "average at best QB but it looking more like a below average QB". The Raiders are going after Brady for a reason, and not just because it's Brady. They think they can win now and don't think Carr can do that. I wouldn't want him, but if we did I'd trade JB and a 4th and be done with it..

1 hour ago, ColtJax said:

Yep, and even worse he was starting to have the deer in the headlights look. PFF called him an "average at best QB but it looking more like a below average QB". The Raiders are going after Brady for a reason, and not just because it's Brady. They think they can win now and don't think Carr can do that. I wouldn't want him, but if we did I'd trade JB and a 4th and be done with it..

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Carr the odds on favorite to win the MVP a couple of years ago before the Colts went to Oakland and landed on his knee?  He was tearing it up but he had a better WR at that time with Amari Cooper though.  He hasn't looked the same since without a true #1 guy but I'm not surprised.  It's almost like Gruden is trying to sabotage him so that he can get rid of him and get someone else.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wonder if ballard wanted to do this if he would rather have  Carr or wait to see what happens in the draft.

I would think if this is what he wants to do and he feels strong enough to trade for Carr. He will go ahead and do it. Also so he can get him in the building and learning the playbook. 

• 2 weeks later...