Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Four2itus

Top 5 regardless of need

This is very basic. Pretend the Colts have zero needs other than depth. Got it? Zero.

I invite you to select....in order, the top five talents in the draft that you want on the team. Remember, need has nothing to do with this exercise.

This is about making a top 5 big board, of your ranking of impact players as if you were a scouting agency who represents no team. (Selecting a QB #1, is saying that is the most talented/impactful player in this draft)

#1 - Chase Young, DE, Ohio St - The true best player on the board, and at one of the most important positions, dominant edge rusher

#2 - Joe Burrow, QB, LSU - Although a one-year-wonder, he put it all together and won everything.  National championship and Heisman.  Most important position on the team.

#3 - Andrew Thomas, OT, Georgia - Yes, there are players that are being ranked higher than him, but OT is another one of those important positions.  Take him before the others.

#4 - Jeffrey Okudah, CB, Ohio St - Dominant cover corner is another one of those prime time positions.

#5 - Derrick Brown, DL3T, Auburn - Had to choose between him and Simmons.  I think a dominant DT is more important than a dominant off-LB.

Please note that I did not name a WR in my top five.  I once heard an NFL analyst on TV say that if you compared the different positions on a team to parts on a car, the WR is the radio.  Seriously.

• Like 3

Very tough leaving Jeudy off this list.... but here are my Top 5....

Chase Young 

Joe Burrow

Derrick Brown 

Jeff Okudah

Isaiah Simmons

This is hard one. There are so many great players in this class... I will also assume you don't want us to include positional value in this. 

Chase Young

Jeffrey Okudah

Joe Burrow

Isaiah Simmons

The fifth one is extremely hard for me. I can argue for like... 5-6 players here... Derrick Brown, Lamb, Jeudy, Andrew Thomas, Jedric Wills... hell... even Tristan Wirfs needs to be in this discussion, even though he will probably be RT, he will be a great one IMO. I think I will go with Jerry Jeudy here as my last one. 

1. Young DE

2. Burrow QB

3. Brown DT

4. Simmons OLB

5. Thomas, Wirfs, Willis, OT

*Jeudy, Okudah, Lamb, Kinlaw could slit in depending on team needs... 

12 hours ago, stitches said:

This is hard one. There are so many great players in this class... I will also assume you don't want us to include positional value in this. 

Chase Young

Jeffrey Okudah

Joe Burrow

Isaiah Simmons

The fifth one is extremely hard for me. I can argue for like... 5-6 players here... Derrick Brown, Lamb, Jeudy, Andrew Thomas, Jedric Wills... hell... even Tristan Wirfs needs to be in this discussion, even though he will probably be RT, he will be a great one IMO. I think I will go with Jerry Jeudy here as my last one. 

Thanks all for taking the time to do this exercise. Yes, chose to ask for 5, as it gets pretty murkey after that. There are some well thought responses in this thread. 

1) Chase Young

2) Derrick Brown

3) Jeffrey Okudah

4) A.J. Epenesa

5) Isaiah Simmons

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Four2itus said:

Thanks all for taking the time to do this exercise. Yes, chose to ask for 5, as it gets pretty murkey after that. There are some well thought responses in this thread. 

1) Chase Young

2) Derrick Brown

3) Isaiah Simmons

4) Jeffrey Okudah

5) A.J. Epenesa

I still haven't watched Epenesa. Some people have him top 5, others I've seen have him in the mid-late teens. What's your take on him? What does he do well and how does he win in the league? 

Either way, exercises like this IMO show that if we don't pick a QB it's very likely that we will have the chance to draft a really good prospect. 

42 minutes ago, stitches said:

I still haven't watched Epenesa. Some people have him top 5, others I've seen have him in the mid-late teens. What's your take on him? What does he do well and how does he win in the league? 

Well, he is going to have to continue to develop. He's got power, that's for sure. He is long, which is a trait Ballard seems to covet. It remains to be seen if he can continue to grow in the NFL, especially in space. Straight leverage, he's a monsta. 

59 minutes ago, stitches said:

Either way, exercises like this IMO show that if we don't pick a QB it's very likely that we will have the chance to draft a really good prospect. 

Here are some highlights, wish I had more time to watch whole game film, but as you know, every player has highlights, and lowlights. Seems to be a lot of up with this guy.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/a.j.-epenesa-is-unquestionably-edge1

• Like 1

Mine looks a lot like others but so be it:

1) Young

2) Brown

3) Simmons

4) Okudah

5) Burrow

Next up: Jeudy

• Like 1

5 hours ago, stitches said:

Some people have Epenesa top-5?      Who?

And have they been drug tested yet?

LATE ADD:    I just double checked....  

For what it's worth,  and maybe it's worth very little to you or someone else....

But Mel has Epenesa ranked 15th.

Jeremiah has him ranked 28th

Todd has him ranked 31st.

I'm not saying he's not a talented kid.....    but top-5?    Or even top-10?

I'm not even sure he's a scheme fit in our defense.....?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Couldn’t narrow down 5 so here’s my top 10:

1) Chase Young

2) Isaiah Simmons

3) DeAndre Swift

4) Derrick Brown

5) Jerry Juedy

6) Jeffrey Okudah

7) CeeDee Lamb

8) Joe Burrow

9) Jonathon Taylor

10) Jedrick Wills

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, Four2itus said:

Well, he is going to have to continue to develop. He's got power, that's for sure. He is long, which is a trait Ballard seems to covet. It remains to be seen if he can continue to grow in the NFL, especially in space. Straight leverage, he's a monsta. 

Not sure he’s either athletic enough or twitchy enough.    Yes, he’s long and powerful, but I think Ballard values the speed and twitch over the other qualities.   

1 hour ago, WarGhost21 said:

Couldn’t narrow down 5 so here’s my top 10:

1) Chase Young

2) Isaiah Simmons

3) DeAndre Swift

4) Derrick Brown

5) Jerry Juedy

6) Jeffrey Okudah

7) CeeDee Lamb

8) Joe Burrow

9) Jonathon Taylor

10) Jedrick Wills

By the way, I wanted to clarify: this is my player power rankings, it isn’t based off of positional value or anything. That’s why Swift is so high. RBs don’t go early but he is a top 5 talent in the class when it all boils down

For me the top of the draft is a lot more offensive heavy than what ive seen in the thread.

I'd go:

1.Chase Young

2.Joe Burrow

3.Ceedee Lamb

4.Jeff Okudah

5.Jerry Jeudy

6.Isaiah Simmons

7. Tua

8.Mekhi Becton

9.Henry Ruggs

10:Derrick Brown

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Some people have Epenesa top-5?      Who?

And have they been drug tested yet?

LATE ADD:    I just double checked....  

For what it's worth,  and maybe it's worth very little to you or someone else....

But Mel has Epenesa ranked 15th.

Jeremiah has him ranked 28th

Todd has him ranked 31st.

I'm not saying he's not a talented kid.....    but top-5?    Or even top-10?

I'm not even sure he's a scheme fit in our defense.....?

I mean, I can't defend their rankings since they are... you know theirs, not mine. One is here - @Four2itus ranked him in the top 5. I still haven't gone through his film so I don't know if I will agree with him or not. I think reasonable people can disagree on highly ranked players depending on what they value most and what they project will improve. 

Examples(just going through The Draft Network's big boards): 

-Solak has him no. 9: https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2020-nfl-draft-big-board-rankings-december-solak

-Sikkema has him no. 10 https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/trevor-sikkema-s-2020-nfl-draft-big-boardposition-rankings

-Fanspeak has him no.5 https://fanspeak.com/ontheclock-nfl-mock-draft-simulator/preview.php?board_id=0

-Matt Miller has him no. 10 https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2868550-2020-nfl-draft-big-board-matt-millers-latest-rankings#slide1

-Drafttek has him no. 9 https://www.drafttek.com/2020-NFL-Draft-Big-Board/Top-NFL-Draft-Prospects-2020-Page-1.asp

and so on... 

You can disagree, and I might too after I watch him, but it's not THAT outlandish for someone to have him ranked high. He's a talented player. Different people will have different opinions and that's OK. 

About scheme fit... I actually think he fits in the LDE mold that Ballard likes(the Sheard types that might kick inside on passing downs). But this was more a thread about pure talent rather than needs and fit. At least that's how I understood the exercise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

chase young

burrow

tua 

okudah

brown

QBs still high on the list, they make the most impact.  all 5 probably gone by our pick