Indianapolis Colts
Chloe6124

Ballard interview with Dakich

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If we don’t draft a QB and we are still having QB issues next season he will be on the hot seat and at that point he might have to reach on QB next year just to save his job. By drafting one he will have a lot longer leash to give that guy time.

It really is a terrible set of cards to be dealt. I trust Ballard to do the best for the franchise even if it cost him his job. If BPA is a blue chip position other than QB, my money is on Ballard drafting that player.   Reaching for a QB is always a roll of the dice but I expect Ballard to stay true to his board and avoid it.  A lot will unfold between now and April so all this is speculation 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AwesomeAustin said:

It really is a terrible set of cards to be dealt. I trust Ballard to do the best for the franchise even if it cost him his job. If BPA is a blue chip position other than QB, my money is on Ballard drafting that player.   Reaching for a QB is always a roll of the dice but I expect Ballard to stay true to his board and avoid it.  A lot will unfold between now and April so all this is speculation 

Plus none of us know what he is thinking right now. He may have love and Herbert right up there and want to take them. He may not like them. But if he does love one of them or both he needs to get in position to take one. No one knows what next year will bring. We have the extra draft pick to do it so if they have some one they want go get him this year. We need to get to that 3rd or 4th pick to make sure we get the guy we want. 

It would be fun if we traded up before the draft and know we are taking a QB and having fun speculating who it is.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Plus none of us know what he is thinking right now. He may have love and Herbert right up there and want to take them. He may not like them. But if he does love one of them or both he needs to get in position to take one. No one knows what next year will bring. We have the extra draft pick to do it so if they have some one they want go get him this year. We need to get to that 3rd or 4th pick to make sure we get the guy we want. 

It would be fun if we traded up before the draft and know we are taking a QB and having fun speculating who it is.

I don’t know.  Speculation drives me crazy.  I used to subscribe to all the pre draft analysis but now I don’t. I check out at the start of the combine and just absorb what comes to me.   These guys in charge are way smarter than me and my living room analysis is wrong 90% of the time. 

• Like 3

On 1/25/2020 at 2:37 PM, NannyMcafee said:

Lol, Ballard has 3 more years before hes potentially on the hot seat. Irsay is a very patient man, and Ballard has done more than any GM since Polian. 

To think he could or would be on the hot seat before the next 2 seasons is obnoxious. 

I agree Irsay is definitely patient and Ballard is not currently on the hot seat. 

However if Ballard skips on a QB this year (either one who was available at one of our picks or one that we could have traded up for for a reasonable cost) and we decide to roll with JB or a FA and we end up 8-8 in QB purgatory (maybe even worst draft position with less draft picks) and one or more of the QBs he chose not to draft this year ends up being a good franchise level QB it won't be 3 years before his seat is hot.

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, esmort said:

I agree Irsay is definitely patient and Ballard is not currently on the hot seat. 

However if Ballard skips on a QB this year (either one who was available at one of our picks or one that we could have traded up for for a reasonable cost) and we decide to roll with JB or a FA and we end up 8-8 in QB purgatory (maybe even worst draft position with less draft picks) and one or more of the QBs he chose not to draft this year ends up being a good franchise level QB it won't be 3 years before his seat is hot.

If this happens this coming season his seat will be hot. Then he might actually have to reach for A QB just to try and save his job.

29 minutes ago, esmort said:

I'd bet Irsay is part of the decision making process when it comes to critical/franchise things like QB.

We know he's been a part of the process with QB centric things in the past (PM, AL), including "the meeting" with Luck last summer, so pretty confident Ballard won't be on an island come April. If that's the case, not sure if Ballard would be on the hot seat if whatever decision they jointly make doesn't pan out.

If Ballard though feels strongly and pushes for a particular person over another, and Jim see things differently but accepts Ballard's direction, then perhaps. I don't really see Irsay caving easily on a thing like that though, nor do I see Ballard pushing Irsay hard. IMO, it's probably more likely that they see eye to eye, and both be on the hook.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I'd bet Irsay is part of the decision making process when it comes to critical/franchise things like QB.

We know he's been a part of the process with QB centric things in the past (PM, AL), including "the meeting" with Luck last summer, so pretty confident Ballard won't be on an island come April. If that's the case, not sure if Ballard would be on the hot seat if whatever decision they jointly make doesn't pan out.

If Ballard though feels strongly and pushes for a particular person over another, and Jim see things differently but accepts Ballard's direction, then perhaps. I don't really see Irsay caving easily on a thing like that though, nor do I see Ballard pushing Irsay hard. IMO, it's probably more likely that they see eye to eye, and both be on the hook.

Irsay has always said draft decisions are made as a team between the GM, the coaching staff, and him.  No question Ballard is the leader in there on this but Irsay and Reich will have a major say.  That’s also what owners look for when they hire a GM.  A guy they can work with.  Irsay tends to let the football guys make the final calls but he likes to be involved in the process.  So I don’t see it as being an issue about pushing as much as it will be about the team coming to an agreement.  Dungy talked about this when he said he had to sell Polian on Freeney and Polian had to sell him on Sanders in the draft as an example.  That’s part of why I think Grigson and Pagano failed as it sounds like they didn’t mesh as a team very well.

• Like 1

Any one else catch the parts about Chad Kelly. About how he has to show them they can trust him off the field? I’m not pushing for Chad Kelly as our next Qb, but I found that part interesting. Almost makes me wonder IF he’s not gonna get his shot at the starting job regardless of FA or the Draft results.

4 hours ago, csmopar said:

Any one else catch the parts about Chad Kelly. About how he has to show them they can trust him off the field? I’m not pushing for Chad Kelly as our next Qb, but I found that part interesting. Almost makes me wonder IF he’s not gonna get his shot at the starting job regardless of FA or the Draft results.

With the way Ballard spoke about him, it sounded like he's trying to hammer home the fact the Colts did Kelly a favor and this is his last chance.  If Kelly accepts that and continues to work, maybe he gets an opportunity, but it might take an injury.

One interesting thing I pulled from the interview - Ballard said Speed is as talented as Okereke and Walker.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, #12. said:

With the way Ballard spoke about him, it sounded like he's trying to hammer home the fact the Colts did Kelly a favor and this is his last chance.  If Kelly accepts that and continues to work, maybe he gets an opportunity, but it might take an injury.

One interesting thing I pulled from the interview - Ballard said Speed is as talented as Okereke and Walker.

yeah, thats what I was thinking. Especially the part when he talked about Kelly going to the practice squad

On 1/24/2020 at 9:47 PM, DougDew said:

At the very end, said accuracy is what's most important for a QB.

Can't believe then that he wants to roll with JB next year.

I think Ballard is blowing smoke here. What else is he going to say about Brissette. He's the quarterback until he is not the quarterback

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

I think Ballard is blowing smoke here. What else is he going to say about Brissette. He's the quarterback until he is not the quarterback

Agreed.  I think it was an honest answer to the question.  Accuracy.  If that's what he truly feels is most important (its way up there for me), there is no way that he can't be seriously looking to replace JB soon.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agreed.  I think it was an honest answer to the question.  Accuracy.  If that's what he truly feels is most important (its way up there for me), there is no way that he can't be seriously looking to replace JB soon.

Agreed.  I don’t know if soon will be the start of the season though which is why he’s keeping his options open.  He doesn’t know for sure who they are going to add and when they will be ready,  I read at one point from Kevin Bowan that he thought they’d draft a guy like Stanley from Iowa in the mid rounds who might not be ready day one.

If some how the Ballard moved up far enough to get Herbert I think he is the starter day one. He fits the system perfect and I imagine it will be a pretty seamless transition. With Love I think he needs to sit but maybe that will be proven wrong once TC starts.

47 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

If some how the Ballard moved up far enough to get Herbert I think he is the starter day one. He fits the system perfect and I imagine it will be a pretty seamless transition. With Love I think he needs to sit but maybe that will be proven wrong once TC starts.

Love scares me.  I see the same thing on multiple sites.

Outside of the top three passers in this class, another QB will likely sneak into round one. It’s the nature of the position. Love could be that guy. However, that will be a risky pick. Love’s tendency to throw interceptable balls because he won’t go past his first read is a major problem. He’s a round three quarterback likely to go much earlier than that.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2019/12/02/2020-nfl-draft-jordan-love-talented-but-flawed-quarterback/4/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

Outside of the top three passers in this class, another QB will likely sneak into round one. It’s the nature of the position. Love could be that guy. However, that will be a risky pick. Love’s tendency to throw interceptable balls because he won’t go past his first read is a major problem. He’s a round three quarterback likely to go much earlier than that.

https://withthefirstpick.com/2019/12/02/2020-nfl-draft-jordan-love-talented-but-flawed-quarterback/4/

maybe that is why the Colts' scouts and Ballard went to see him so many times... they were trying to see him have a good game. :)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

I am not worried about his INT last year under the circumstances. Not only the offense changes but his defense was awful. He only had 6 in 2018.

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

I heard that also.  I thought it was very telling.  I don't know if it is just me but I also sounded like last year was all about gaining trust for Chad kelly.  That he was never going to see the field, last year and that it was all about adhering to the Colts guidelines.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I heard that also.  I thought it was very telling.  I don't know if it is just me but I also sounded like last year was all about gaining trust for Chad kelly.  That he was never going to see the field, last year and that it was all about adhering to the Colts guidelines.

Isn't this the first off season for Chad Kelly with the Colts? No news is good news for CK. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Isn't this the first off season for Chad Kelly with the Colts? No news is good news for CK. 

He was signed in May 2019.  So this will be his first full offseason.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Irsay has always said draft decisions are made as a team between the GM, the coaching staff, and him.  No question Ballard is the leader in there on this but Irsay and Reich will have a major say.  That’s also what owners look for when they hire a GM.  A guy they can work with.  Irsay tends to let the football guys make the final calls but he likes to be involved in the process.  So I don’t see it as being an issue about pushing as much as it will be about the team coming to an agreement.  Dungy talked about this when he said he had to sell Polian on Freeney and Polian had to sell him on Sanders in the draft as an example.  That’s part of why I think Grigson and Pagano failed as it sounds like they didn’t mesh as a team very well.

I think there are levels of involvement. I'm sure CB, FR, and Irsay meet regularly on strategy, but once strategy is agreed on, I'd bet the "who" is predominantly left to CB and FR when it comes to anything past the second round. I think Irsay is probably more involved with those early picks (the who), especially franchise positions like QB. 

I don't disagree on Grigson and Pagano, but I also think Grigson just wasn't very good at evaluation. 

8 hours ago, csmopar said:

I 100% think Kelly will get a fair shot at the job.  He's very careful with his words but he said he has tools and a future in the league. I think Kelly is the most physically gifted QB we have and likely more physically gifted than anyone we will have the opportunity to draft.  I've said since pre-season, this kid can play.  IF he proves he can be a responsible citizen all of 2019 and into 2020 training camp, there's no point in not giving him a shot at the job.  I would be nervous about how he handles the job if he wins it.  I think C&B would be nervous too, can he handle the pressure off the field?  Who knows? It feels like giving your teenager a Ferrari and hoping it all works out...even if the kid can drive like mad.  I think our starting QB for 2020 is currently on this roster, I'm just not sure which guy it is...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, EastStreet said:

I think there are levels of involvement. I'm sure CB, FR, and Irsay meet regularly on strategy, but once strategy is agreed on, I'd bet the "who" is predominantly left to CB and FR when it comes to anything past the second round. I think Irsay is probably more involved with those early picks (the who), especially franchise positions like QB. 

I don't disagree on Grigson and Pagano, but I also think Grigson just wasn't very good at evaluation. 

I agree on all points.  Some owners, like Jerry Jones want to control everything.  Others like Irsay want to be involved but let the football guys call the shots.  Others just stay out of it for the most part.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I agree on all points.  Some owners, like Jerry Jones want to control everything.  Others like Irsay want to be involved but let the football guys call the shots.  Others just stay out of it for the most part.

Yup, lol. Irsay is not perfect, but I'm glad he's not like Jones when it comes to personnel. 

4 hours ago, Rally5 said:

I 100% think Kelly will get a fair shot at the job.  He's very careful with his words but he said he has tools and a future in the league. I think Kelly is the most physically gifted QB we have and likely more physically gifted than anyone we will have the opportunity to draft.  I've said since pre-season, this kid can play.  IF he proves he can be a responsible citizen all of 2019 and into 2020 training camp, there's no point in not giving him a shot at the job.  I would be nervous about how he handles the job if he wins it.  I think C&B would be nervous too, can he handle the pressure off the field?  Who knows? It feels like giving your teenager a Ferrari and hoping it all works out...even if the kid can drive like mad.  I think our starting QB for 2020 is currently on this roster, I'm just not sure which guy it is...

Rolling out my earlier prediction...draft - DT, WR, OT...in that order.  CK starts by week 4 of the 2020 season.

Sounds like Ballard, in part, cut Kelly and sent him to the PS to see how he would react.  Kind of the way it struck me at the time he said it.  He could be tossing Kelly several challenges now and again to see if the head is still straight.

I've been saying for months now in an open competition for qb next season Chad Kelly will be the starter week one. Chad Kelly is the best qb on the roster and I don't think Ballard is going to draft one this year.(maybe round 5 or later).

4 minutes ago, Two_pound said:

I've been saying for months now in an open competition for qb next season Chad Kelly will be the starter week one. Chad Kelly is the best qb on the roster and I don't think Ballard is going to draft one this year.(maybe round 5 or later).

I agree Kelly is the most talented QB on the roster currently, I just don't know if there will be a true and open competition. IMO, Ballard drafts a QB or makes a move if something opens up in FA. I would love to see CK get a fair shot though if he truly does have his head right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Rolling out my earlier prediction...draft - DT, WR, OT...in that order.  CK starts by week 4 of the 2020 season.

I could see that, depending on what happens in FA.

• Like 1

On 1/24/2020 at 8:43 PM, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Yeah. You lost me at the whole coaching staff will be in the hot seat after next year unless he takes a risks on a rookie QB. 

1.  Ballard and Reich are two of the most respected people in the NFL. Ballard is considered by many to be one of the best GMs in the league. 

2. The fact he said he just risk it on a rookie QB flies right in the face of what he has said. He won’t reach for one. If he loves one, he will take him, maybe at 13 or maybe at 34. 

Risk taking usually doesn’t equate to a winning formula in much at all. Risk taking in the stock market is the worst investment strategy you can have. Investing consistently in the ebb and flow for the long run is where the sure money is. Football is no different. Chris Ballard is not going to take risks in the draft that he puts so much weight into. He knows where he’s at with JB. He is doing his homework on quarterbacks, which is obvious by Frank Reich and Ed Dodd’s following them during senior bowl. If he takes one this draft, it won’t be a gamble or an act of desperation. It will be a well thought out and properly researched decision, and a piece of a long term strategy. 

If Ryan Grigson and Chuck Pagano were given the kind of time they had without a hot seat, this tandem of Ballard and Reich will get every bit of the same. Grigson fell off the cliff after his firing. Pagano took some time to work back in. If we fire Ballard and Reich at the end of 2020 season, they will both be in similar positions elsewhere within a week... and no one qualified interested in replacing them. We better hang onto them and trust them to get us back into shape... not sure anyone else will be able to. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Myles said:

People around the Internet keep saying this. The problem is it's not true.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Ballard has now had several opportunities to endorse JB as the starting QB for next week. He's shied away from doing so every time. His 'I thought Luck was going to be the starter, so I'm not sure' line is a cop out, it's his way of wriggling off the hook.

Also, the way Ballard, Reich and Sirianni all have talked about what they value in a QB is interesting. It reminds me of what Commodus said to his father in Gladiator: None of my virtues were on your list. It's like hearing your significant other describe what they find attractive and realizing that they're describing someone other than you.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

There's little point in starting someone week 1,  and yanking him out by week 4.     Teams that do that typically have made a bad and wrong evaluation on the week 1 starter.

Don't think that will happen to this front office and coaching staff.

12 hours ago, Myles said:

Love scares you because he didn't have a good 2019 season.    A season in which he lost 9 former offensive starters,  and his coaching staff and the system they played in a very successful 2018 season.      In 2018,  Love completed 64% of his passes for 32 TD's and only 8 interceptions.   Those are quality numbers.     If the numbers were  reversed and his 2018 numbers in 2019,  then you wouldn't be scared of him.    

Just remember the circumstances that surrounded the kid this past season.   And he just had a good all-star game playing with talent and better coaching.    You might want to consider that as well.     Just food for thought......

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Love scares you because he didn't have a good 2019 season.    A season in which he lost 9 former offensive starters,  and his coaching staff and the system they played in a very successful 2018 season.      In 2018,  Love completed 64% of his passes for 32 TD's and only 8 interceptions.   Those are quality numbers.     If the numbers were  reversed and his 2018 numbers in 2019,  then you wouldn't be scared of him.    

Just remember the circumstances that surrounded the kid this past season.   And he just had a good all-star game playing with talent and better coaching.    You might want to consider that as well.     Just food for thought......

Actually what scares me is that I hadn't seen him play and I'm totally relying on draft analysis reports from sites or people who know more about him than me.   I'm not saying I take it all as gospel, but it is worrisome.  The drop in his stats don't bother me too much.   It's more when I hear he doesn't read the field well or go past his first read.  

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

There's little point in starting someone week 1,  and yanking him out by week 4.     Teams that do that typically have made a bad and wrong evaluation on the week 1 starter.

Don't think that will happen to this front office and coaching staff.

Note- "by" week 4.  Could be sooner.

3 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Note- "by" week 4.  Could be sooner.

Yes...   I wrote that.    The sooner the yank, the poorer the decision.   I don’t see this franchise, as well run as it is, making a poor decision like that.

Especially at quarterback.