Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

ESPN Mel Kiper Jr.’s Mock Draft 1.0 Projects the Colts to Select Alabama WR Jerry Jeudy

6 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't think this team is that far off. I think we have a ton of good players and I think we have a ton of solid to very good YOUNG pieces that can only get better. The problem is the little that we are missing is missing at some of the most important positions in football - namely QB, OT(if AC retires, and even if he doesn't we will need to find long-term replacement if he's thinking about retiring now), WR(both to supplement TY and to eventually replace him whenever he's gone/retired. 

Disagree.  We need more talent than people want to admit. Basically one D end spot and 2 DTs to make this D legit.  Now we might need a LT

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Ballard just said in an interview with Dakich that you can’t have enough Dline players and that he considers  linemen the key to success. 

I hope he believes that.  Grover is the only decent IDL we have.  We need 3 more.  We really do.

3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I hope he believes that.  Grover is the only decent IDL we have.  We need 3 more.  We really do.

He reiterated that Lewis is in a prove it year. He expects and believes Banagu (sp) will step up. High on Turay. But yes  I’m pretty sure he adds to the Dline. 

I'll be watching the Senior Bowl and hopefully Gordon has a good showing. I'll particular watch the pocket collapse on him and see how he reacts. With that being said I don't think we'll find our QB in this draft. Fall off after Burrow and Herbert seems to be too much. I would take Jeudy if he's there if not Kinlaw. I still like Shenault late 2nd round. We can prolly get Gordon in the 3rd. Sign Mariotta(cheap qb who is accurate under 15 yards from him) let those 4 compete for the top 2 spots at QB. Most likely our #34 is being traded back.

19 hours ago, CheezyColt said:

I get that, but I don't think getting a blue chip prospect with player comps to Marvin Harrison is something I'd get upset about.  I also won't lose my mind if we end up sticking with Jacoby for the next year.  This is the first chance/offseason Ballard's had since the Luck retirement.  Expecting or demanding that he fix it now, or else, seems unfair to me.  I'd definitely like an upgrade, and I'd be just fine and happy if we grabbed Love in this situation (or traded back up into the first for him).  But to get Jeudy at #13 is a steal and I just find it hard to fault Ballard for jumping on that chance, if this were to happen.  We might not get the most out of him with Jacoby slinging it this year, but who says you have to take a QB before a WR?  As long as the team gets built with good/great, quality players, I'm going to be ok with it.  Just my view on it, though.  

im not a big fan of first round receivers

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

If Herbert or Love is there at 13 and the colts pass for a DT and Love or Herbert go on and excel in the next year or two Ballard is going to look bad. I still think If he is sold on one of them you do everything to get them.  QB is the number one priority if he is sold. You never risk losing a QB by waiting that you are sold on. Ballard might have a longer leash with the Luck retirement but failing to address QB will get him fired. Especially if Jacoby looks the same as last year and doesn’t improve. He might improve some with healthier and better weapons but he isn’t going to turn elite all of a sudden.

I believe we already have a better QB on the roster. Until they give him a chance no one really knows for sure, but he has a better college career than our current starter. Yeah i agree, he's been a hard head but anyone who has raised children to adult hood knows there's trails and tribulations involved. He's young and has to go through a maturation process. Maybe, he's to that point in his life, that it's happening. I believe he needs a chance to prove it. 

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

Funny thing is, neither am I.  And neither is Ballard, from what I can tell.  He thinks receivers are overdrafted every year so I don't really see this situation happening.  I'm just saying I don't think I would be able to find fault or get upset about picking such a highly rated prospect at pick 13, if it somehow did happen.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

Agreed.  Sometimes that #1 demands it.  But this class is so deep that round 3 should satisfy our needs (as long as we have confidence in TY for 2 more years).  Seeing this class, I'm kind of disappointed we drafted Parris last year.  Lots of good looking slot guys for round 3 and 4 this year, IMO.

16 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Ballard just said in an interview with Dakich that you can’t have enough Dline players and that he considers  linemen the key to success. 

Agreed. That is why I feel, QB, DL or OL should be the order first, before WR. 

• Like 1

I hope we go DT first BUT, and this is big, you go with your highest rated players.  I know people don't like to hear that but it's true.  You simply can't just draft for need.  That has killed a lot of GM's and let a lot of fans down.  

With that said, I have Jeudy as my non-professional, purely fandom #6 best rated prospect in this entire class, regardless of position.  I think he's that good.  So getting him at #13 would be, to me, a coup.  And I think he will produce immediately at the next level.

And to those saying why draft a WR when you don't have a QB that can get it to him?  You are thinking too narrowly.  You don't draft for ONE year.  You BUILD a team the best way you can.  And you do that by taking the best players available when they come to you.  Whether you get the QB you need this year, next year, or 2 years down the road is irrelevant to drafting the BPA in THIS draft.  Every year is different, FA factors in, trades happen with much more regularity now, and you never know what will happen with injuries, etc.  This does not even take into account draft day trades and pick trades which are common now too.  I mean was ANYBODY thinking Luck would retire prior to this season?  Of course not.  Sure, if the QB you want is there, you take him.  But if he isn't, you take someone else who will help you just the same at another position and wait for your QB in another situation.

• Like 1