Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Archer

Starting to come around to a Lineman in Round 1

Recommended Posts

I’ve been on the WR train for a while, since TY has been hurt the last two years and is over 30, no one else stepped up last year (with a heavy dose of the injury bug), and whatever QB we start in the future will need a #1 WR.  However, I’m starting to identify Day 2 WRs that will help a lot, and this (Philly-style) O doesn’t require an alpha 1-on-1 dominator.

 

So, Ballard likes to build from the lines first - there are still some definite chinks there.  Castonzo, even if he does return as I suspect he will, is a short-timer.  And CB spent some energy last year searching for a 2nd NT, and Autry and Lewis didn’t impress anyone at the undertackle position.  
 

I think we’re going to be after the best available NT or OT at #13.  That would be either Kinlaw or Derrick Brown, if either falls there.  If not, I’m starting to get intrigued by Mekhi Becton.  At 6’8”, 369, he’s supposed to be freakishly nimble and mobile for his size, and he has massive length.  Draft him, start him at RT this year, move Braden Smith to RG and Glowinski to the bench, and flop him to LT when Castonzo retires.  All the while, slim him down to 340 or so...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

QB, OL or DL gives us the best return on investment to build around as a cornerstone. So, yes, I am on board with you. I'd be happy if it is one of those 3 that is addressed.

 

I like your caption btw, "defending honesty and decency in the heart of Cheaterville".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kind of funny everyone trashing Jacoby this season but doesn’t want to take a QB at 13. We aren’t finding a franchise guy most likely after the first. The five QB who might be franchise QB will be gone at after the first most likely. So which is it. Do you want a new QB or not. The QB after the first aren’t looking to good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Completely on board with the 1st round pick being either a DT or OT. The trenches are so important to Ballard and this team. We can get a QB in round 2 or 3 with someone like Jacob Eason or possibly Love if he slips to the 34th pick or late round 1. 

 

If Castonzo stays, OT isn't as dire a need, but we still need a future LT since Anthony is already talking retirement. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Kind of funny everyone trashing Jacoby this season but doesn’t want to take a QB at 13. We aren’t finding a franchise guy most likely after the first. The five QB who might be franchise QB will be gone at after the first most likely. So which is it. Do you want a new QB or not. The QB after the first aren’t looking to good.

They never really do, do they?

 

I remember you were on the JB train until you could no longer stand it.  If all JB did better this season was to see the open receivers and get them the ball, even missing the long ones a few times, but hitting most of them, would you or anyone else be talking about a QB this draft? 

 

Would we be complaining a lot about his slow footspeed, or sometimes lack of touch on the short passes?  Would JB be a franchise QB, or simply good enough?

 

I think we'd all be talking about DT, WR, and now OT exclusively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

Completely on board with the 1st round pick being either a DT or OT. The trenches are so important to Ballard and this team. We can get a QB in round 2 or 3 with someone like Jacob Eason or possibly Love if he slips to the 34th pick or late round 1. 

 

If Castonzo stays, OT isn't as dire a need, but we still need a future LT since Anthony is already talking retirement. 

Need to consider his replacement.  Frankly, his expiring contract didn't sneek up on anybody, so it should have been considered last year.  I'm sure that because we didn't doesn't mean that Ballard didn't.  He's probably been scouting around for a while.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

They never really do, do they?

 

I remember you were on the JB train until you could no longer stand it.  If all JB did better this season was to see the open receivers and get them the ball, even missing the long ones a few times, but hitting most of them, would you or anyone else be talking about a QB this draft? 

 

Would we be complaining a lot about his slow footspeed, or sometimes lack of touch on the short passes?  Would JB be a franchise QB, or simply good enough?

 

I think we'd all be talking about DT, WR, and now OT exclusively.

What a dumb question. If Jacoby was better of course we wouldn’t be talking about a new QB.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What a dumb question. If Jacoby was better of course we wouldn’t be talking about a new QB.

Really, you're criticizing QBs as if not being franchise quality means they don't belong.

 

My question is, if JB was just better would you be talking about QBs, or does he have to be franchise quality?

 

And "better" means that he sees the field well enough, but misses a few long passes.  Hits most of them, enough to change how the defense plays us from last season.

 

He still lacks foot speed.  Stays in the pocket very un-Mahomes like. Lacks some touch sometimes.  Still doesn't have a real quick release.   

 

Would you still be looking at QBs?  That was my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Kind of funny everyone trashing Jacoby this season but doesn’t want to take a QB at 13. We aren’t finding a franchise guy most likely after the first. The five QB who might be franchise QB will be gone at after the first most likely. So which is it. Do you want a new QB or not. The QB after the first aren’t looking to good.

There's also a chance 4 of those 5 aren't the answer either. And what do you do if the guy(s) you want are already gone by 13? 

 

Reaching for a need is the type of thing that can severely set the franchise back, and yes that includes QBs. 

 

"You gotta know when to hold 'em"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RollerColt said:

There's also a chance 4 of those 5 aren't the answer either. And what do you do if the guy(s) you want are already gone by 13? 

 

Reaching for a need is the type of thing that can severely set the franchise back, and yes that includes QBs. 

 

"You gotta know when to hold 'em"

I never said to reach.  Every QB taken is a risk no matter where you take them because none has actually played in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What a dumb question. If Jacoby was better of course we wouldn’t be talking about a new QB.

 

 What i am wondering is how you know so much about it that we can't find a better QB in round 2 that could hand the ball off as well as Jacoby and also be a better passer? The bar is not very high.

 Of course we already have one on the roster, that is a good thing i believe.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Kind of funny everyone trashing Jacoby this season but doesn’t want to take a QB at 13. We aren’t finding a franchise guy most likely after the first. The five QB who might be franchise QB will be gone at after the first most likely. So which is it. Do you want a new QB or not. The QB after the first aren’t looking to good.


Well, you never heard me trash JB.  I personally still think that most on the board here will be sorely disappointed with how little we do to replace Brissett this year.  The 2nd tier of QB in this draft is pretty crappy, and Love is fool’s gold IMO.  Even as they were praising Love’s arm talent and athleticism at SB practices, Walterfootball called his lack of field vision a fatal weakness and indicated it wouldn’t be an easy fix.  I really think that we build the lines, draft a 3rd tier QB with sleeper potential (Gordon, please), and try to run a running O with a QB that doesn’t make mistakes (unlike Love’s nearly 1:1 TD to Int ratio).  Ballard probably likes JB in that kind of role, and he’ll hope Brissett looks more like his first 7 games...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Archer said:


Well, you never heard me trash JB.  I personally still think that most on the board here will be sorely disappointed with how little we do to replace Brissett this year.  The 2nd tier of QB in this draft is pretty crappy, and Love is fool’s gold IMO.  Even as they were praising Love’s arm talent and athleticism at SB practices, Walterfootball called his lack of field vision a fatal weakness and indicated it wouldn’t be an easy fix.  I really think that we build the lines, draft a 3rd tier QB with sleeper potential (Gordon, please), and try to run a running O with a QB that doesn’t make mistakes (unlike Love’s nearly 1:1 TD to Int ratio).  Ballard probably likes JB in that kind of role, and he’ll hope Brissett looks more like his first 7 games...

so you hate on Love yet want the QB that has been the literal definition of trash at the very same senior bowl practices?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the idea of drafting a defensive linemen at 13 if the QB they want is off the board. However, if Kinlaw and Brown are both gone by our pick then I would pass on an offensive lineman. I do think Kinlaw will be there. 

 

This team has two offensive linemen in the pro bowl. This is a top 7 offensive line in the league. We need more playmakers on both sides of the ball.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would say 3T and T are very high priorities where we draft

 

And if one of the top QBs slide a bit we may go after them as an option

 

at this point kinlaw seems like a safe pick that can uptick the defense

 

I wouldn’t touch a true 1 tech in round one or two

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

so you hate on Love yet want the QB that has been the literal definition of trash at the very same senior bowl practices?

I think you may be overreacting. The general perception on Gordon from what I have read was that he steadily improved throughout the week and learned the playbook quickly. Looked rough on Tuesday, good on Wednesday, and great on Thursday. Similar thing happened with Hurts. Not saying Gordon is my guy but I don't know if pundits would agree his overall Senior Bowl work was trash. I think worst case scenario his stock stayed the same. 

 

Edit: as an added point, Minshew had a bad week at the Senior Bowl last year and still went in the 3red to the Jags. He has won them some games and looks to be their started next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, funktacious2 said:

I think you may be overreacting. The general perception on Gordon from what I have read was that he steadily improved throughout the week and learned the playbook quickly. Looked rough on Tuesday, good on Wednesday, and great on Thursday. Similar thing happened with Hurts. Not saying Gordon is my guy but I don't know if pundits would agree his overall Senior Bowl work was trash. I think worst case scenario his stock stayed the same. 

 

Edit: as an added point, Minshew had a bad week at the Senior Bowl last year and still went in the 3red to the Jags. He has won them some games and looks to be their started next year.

they used the word undrafted about him lol that's pretty bad 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, funktacious2 said:

I think you may be overreacting. The general perception on Gordon from what I have read was that he steadily improved throughout the week and learned the playbook quickly. Looked rough on Tuesday, good on Wednesday, and great on Thursday. Similar thing happened with Hurts. Not saying Gordon is my guy but I don't know if pundits would agree his overall Senior Bowl work was trash. I think worst case scenario his stock stayed the same. 

 

Edit: as an added point, Minshew had a bad week at the Senior Bowl last year and still went in the 3red to the Jags. He has won them some games and looks to be their started next year.

He went in the 6th actually.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don’t think Love is fools gold. Every  single thing I read he has incredible work ethic. Add that with the traits and Reich I think he will turn out really great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

so you hate on Love yet want the QB that has been the literal definition of trash at the very same senior bowl practices?

Okay, then.  We gave up a bust of a 1st round WR for JB; I’m opposed to spending a 1st or 2nd rounder on a QB that I think will bust...

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 10:40 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Kind of funny everyone trashing Jacoby this season but doesn’t want to take a QB at 13. We aren’t finding a franchise guy most likely after the first. The five QB who might be franchise QB will be gone at after the first most likely. So which is it. Do you want a new QB or not. The QB after the first aren’t looking to good.

Honestly refuse to take anything above DT right now we’ve needed one since luck and haven’t went high for one yet QB needed or not we were Competing barely in games with JB so he can least do “something” but let’s build this damn DEF for once and stick to it especially in the trenches we constantly see how it helps offensively now you see the Inside of KC/Sf they have dominant Lines on DEF (Sf has nice OL as well) Jimmy G is nice and all but he’s not carrying that Team  that run game and dline is  and it begins in the trenches 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 10:40 AM, Chloe6124 said:

Kind of funny everyone trashing Jacoby this season but doesn’t want to take a QB at 13. We aren’t finding a franchise guy most likely after the first. The five QB who might be franchise QB will be gone at after the first most likely. So which is it. Do you want a new QB or not. The QB after the first aren’t looking to good.

Just because you want something, doesnt make it available.  It's perfectly plausible to say Jacoby sucks, and all the first round QBs are no good

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/24/2020 at 11:57 AM, DougDew said:

Really, you're criticizing QBs as if not being franchise quality means they don't belong.

 

My question is, if JB was just better would you be talking about QBs, or does he have to be franchise quality?

 

And "better" means that he sees the field well enough, but misses a few long passes.  Hits most of them, enough to change how the defense plays us from last season.

 

He still lacks foot speed.  Stays in the pocket very un-Mahomes like. Lacks some touch sometimes.  Still doesn't have a real quick release.   

 

Would you still be looking at QBs?  That was my point.

Jacoby was in line to get replaced one way or another tbh. I think Ballard knew. Alex Smith had pro-bowl numbers and still got replaced twice (once ny Kap and the other by Mahomes). Even if he played slightly better, we’re still talking QBs IMO

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I dont get what people dont understand about drafting a lockerroom that Ballard has explained in detail numerous times.    Turay a reach? That's just laughable. 
    • Also wouldn't mind adding Chris Jones for a KC reunion with Houston knowing full well what Jones is capable of creating pressure on QBs but not so much help in the run game.  Figure Jones will get around 21m/year if he does hit the market.   However I would like to see the Colts look at NT/LDT Javon Hargrave ((Steelers) who can do both jobs attacking QBs and stopping the run.  Hargrave should be a cheaper option commanding around 15m/year.  Can not see the Steelers having the cap space to resign Hargrave at this point in time.  Add someone like Gallimore in Round 1 of the draft and our DL has greatly improved over last year's unit.   Another high target FA wouldn't mind adding to replace Walker in the middle is Cory Littleton who would help in our run game.  Littleton will more likely be looking to get a 17m/year contract.  Am curious how well he can play switching from a 3-4 base LILB to a pure MLB in a 4-3 base and continue to be dominant?    
    • Steelers are in a worse cap crunch case and need to be within 30% of CBA resigning players this year.  NT/weak-side Javon Hargrave would help part of our DL issue and is better vs the run than Chris Jones and would cost less to obtain in FA.     By all calculations on team-based needs Brown and Kinlaw should be draft early leaving Gallimore available for us to select in Round 1.  Autry is our weakest DL and biggest disappointments this past season.  Gallimore in college has a history of forcing a fumble or two,  getting to QBs and even been credited with PBUs.   Houston was a great FA addition at weak-side and continues to play strong be it a 3-4 or 4-3 base defense.  In Round 2 I would like to see us address our SS or even TE but would not mind adding more depth on the edge with Jonathan Greenard (Florida).  Greenard would help add depth to our weak-side rotating with Houston who is a FA after the upcoming year.  Enjoyed watching Greenard's game tape vs Miami and him punching the ball out.  Maybe it was the turnover chain motivation but the kid is good FFs and defending passes.  Just the awareness to not only make game tackles but mental aspect to look for ways to create turnovers at the same time playing full speed has Greenard on my radar to pick.  Greenard should hear his name called early in Round 2.   The other edge player who has caught my eye as of late is the Michigan State walk-on Kenny Willekes.  Willekes insanely high motor and ultra-competitive played both weak/strong side with success FFs and PD.  Willekes I figure will go Rounds 2-3.   Adding and upgrading our IDL to force more inside pressure on QBs will help our edge players when the QB gets flushed out of the pocket.  
    • Maybe not that, but he got waffled upside the head by a gym machine today!  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz.com/2020/02/20/antonio-brown-gym-accident-video/?ved=1t%3A45442      
    • What is your bar for a high draft pick going on year three? (DE)    Are you satisfied with a Turay just being depth player? 
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...