Indianapolis Colts
cjrichard

Colts Interested in Jadeveon Clowney?

"One of the top free agents in 2020 will be Seattle Seahawks defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, and Clowney has stated a team's likelihood of Super Bowl contention is a key factor for his signing. WalterFootball.com has learned from league sources that the Indianapolis Colts are one of the teams are expected to make a run at signing Clowney. The Colts have a ton of salary cap space and money to spend, and they could use an impactful player on their defensive line. Clowney would also be a great scheme fit in Matt Eberflus' defense. Signing with Indianapolis would also give Clowney the opportunity to play the Texans twice per year, and going against his former team could be a nice perk to signing with Indianapolis. There could be a competitive market for Clowney, and his preference for Super Bowl contenders could rule out some teams, but sources tell me the Colts are going to be a team in serious pursuit of the star defensive end."

Would not hate this.  Chris Jones would be my first preference.  Would allow Colts to address other needs in the draft.

Joseph

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

well tis the time of year where the Colts would be linked to most big name FA's because of cap space....though this would make sense. 

• Like 2

Ballard let everyone know that the DL3T position is a huge target during his year-end press conference. Ballard stated, "I think the interior, we've got to be able to get some more interior pressure. The 3-technique drives this thing. It does. Every time I've been a part of this, the 3-technique drives this."

Enter South Carolina's Javon Kinlaw, who would give Indy schematic versatility with an explosive talent. Kinlaw may or may not be there when the Colts pick. If he is, it would be extremely surprising to see him passed up. Even for a QB. Or WRF. Unless Ballard's positive he can get a guy like Justin Madubuike in RD2, it would seem that he sees Kinlaw as a top RD1 prospect. Listed primarily as a 3-tech, the Colts could line Kinlaw up anywhere - just to keep the opposition off-balance. With a quick first step and excellent power, the Gamecock star certainly checks off most of the boxes GM Chris Ballard is trying to fill for top prospects

Clowney / Jones + Kinlaw?  Yes please....

Joseph

• Like 1

If Ballard couldn't convince or spend on free agents with an Andrew Luck on the roster, how is he going to do otherwise to sell the Colts as a SB contender to free agents that say they want to play for a SB contender? He has never been interested in a bidding war before, I just do not see it happening. 

Shelby Harris and Jordan Philips, I can see Ballard going after, to be honest. Jaguars probably want to let go of Marcell Dareus in order to make room for Ngakoue (and others) and we might be able to squeeze a couple of years out of him, he is better against the run. Jaguars will get hit with only a dead cap hit of $2.5 mil. if they release him. Once he got injured, their run D went down the toilet. He's more of a run down NT at this point in his life, can be had for cheap, IMO.

• Like 1

This makes perfect sense to me.  As much as we need the 3T position we have also been trying for years to get that premier ER.  They never hit FA but this year Clowney is going to hit FA.  I don't see Chris Jones hitting FA for the 3T.   So we have the money so now it comes down to Ballard's line in the sand stance on the cost.   Will he be more flexible for a premier ER?  And can he convince him and other FAs we are SB contenders.  I guess we will find out soon enough.  

Chris Jones is definitely priority #1 for me, but if we can't get him I would love getting either Arik Armstead, Yannick Ngakoue, or Clowney to help with the pass rush. 

• Like 1

I think when Ballard chose Turay and Ben with two second round picks, I don't think he is going to break the bank for a player that will just take PT away from their development.  We also have Houston.  

It makes much more sense to break the bank for a DT who will take PT away from Hunt, Autry, and even Lewis.  No investments there to override with another, and maybe even a sunk cost can be recouped.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think when Ballard chose Turay and Ben with two second round picks, I don't think he is going to break the bank for a player that will just take PT away from their development.  We also have Houston.  

It makes much more sense to break the bank for a DT who will take PT away from Hunt, Autry, and even Lewis.  No investments there to override with another, and maybe even a sunk cost can be recouped.

Agreed. If he breaks the bank for a DL player in free agency, it should be Chris Jones if he makes it. 

• Like 1

The odds of Clowney signing here are slim to none. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cjrichard said:

"One of the top free agents in 2020 will be Seattle Seahawks defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, and Clowney has stated a team's likelihood of Super Bowl contention is a key factor for his signing. WalterFootball.com has learned from league sources that the Indianapolis Colts are one of the teams are expected to make a run at signing Clowney. The Colts have a ton of salary cap space and money to spend, and they could use an impactful player on their defensive line. Clowney would also be a great scheme fit in Matt Eberflus' defense. Signing with Indianapolis would also give Clowney the opportunity to play the Texans twice per year, and going against his former team could be a nice perk to signing with Indianapolis. There could be a competitive market for Clowney, and his preference for Super Bowl contenders could rule out some teams, but sources tell me the Colts are going to be a team in serious pursuit of the star defensive end."

Would not hate this.  Chris Jones would be my first preference.  Would allow Colts to address other needs in the draft.

Joseph

Heard all this crap before and our GM continues to stay the course and bring in losers that don't help take this team to the next level he's only concerned with getting meaningless Comp picks  and acquiring second round picks for pennies on the dollar. If he does spend any real money on a higher priced guy this year I will pinch myself to find out if i'm dreaming.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, cjrichard said:

WalterFootball.com has learned from league sources that the Indianapolis Colts are one of the teams are expected to make a run at signing Clowney. The Colts have a ton of salary cap space and money to spend, and they could use an impactful player on their defensive line.

When a website like WalterFootball learns from "league sources" rather than from "team sources" that the team "is expected" to make a run because "they have a ton of salary cap space", it cannot be taken as evidence that the team really is interested in the player at all.  Far too often, especially at this time of year, that kind of reporting from league sources being misinterpreted as actual team interest is rampant.  I'll wait until someone reports that "according to team sources", they are interested.

• Like 1

Ok this needs to stop. Just because we have cap space, doesn't mean we need to be linked to every single big time FA. We are not the Jets or the redskins

7 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Heard all this crap before and our GM continues to stay the course and bring in losers that don't help take this team to the next level he's only concerned with getting meaningless Comp picks  and acquiring second round picks for pennies on the dollar. If he does spend any real money on a higher priced guy this year I will pinch myself to find out if i'm dreaming.

For a moment there, I read the post and wondered,  “What the hell?   Who is writing such nonsense?!?”  

Then I scrolled back up, saw who it was, and laughed my head off!   

Of course!  THAT’S who’s writing such nonsense!   Par for the course.  Same as it ever was....   oh well....   time marches on, even if some people don’t...

11 hours ago, cjrichard said:

Ballard let everyone know that the DL3T position is a huge target during his year-end press conference. Ballard stated, "I think the interior, we've got to be able to get some more interior pressure. The 3-technique drives this thing. It does. Every time I've been a part of this, the 3-technique drives this."

Enter South Carolina's Javon Kinlaw, who would give Indy schematic versatility with an explosive talent. Kinlaw may or may not be there when the Colts pick. If he is, it would be extremely surprising to see him passed up. Even for a QB. Or WRF. Unless Ballard's positive he can get a guy like Justin Madubuike in RD2, it would seem that he sees Kinlaw as a top RD1 prospect. Listed primarily as a 3-tech, the Colts could line Kinlaw up anywhere - just to keep the opposition off-balance. With a quick first step and excellent power, the Gamecock star certainly checks off most of the boxes GM Chris Ballard is trying to fill for top prospects

Clowney / Jones + Kinlaw?  Yes please....

Joseph

I could see Ballard trade up for a DT more than a QB this year

I think Clowney would be a nice addition to our defense, but we've seen that Chris Ballard is very disciplined and tries to avoid overspending for free agents. I think the price for Mr. Clowney's services will just be too steep for the Colts to pay. I'm not saying we can't afford him, I'm just saying I don't think we will spend the amount it will take to sign him.

They should be interested. Clowney is an impact player that is still in his prime and fills a position of need if Sheard leaves.