Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
cjrichard

Colts Interested in Jadeveon Clowney?

Recommended Posts

"One of the top free agents in 2020 will be Seattle Seahawks defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, and Clowney has stated a team's likelihood of Super Bowl contention is a key factor for his signing. WalterFootball.com has learned from league sources that the Indianapolis Colts are one of the teams are expected to make a run at signing Clowney. The Colts have a ton of salary cap space and money to spend, and they could use an impactful player on their defensive line. Clowney would also be a great scheme fit in Matt Eberflus' defense. Signing with Indianapolis would also give Clowney the opportunity to play the Texans twice per year, and going against his former team could be a nice perk to signing with Indianapolis. There could be a competitive market for Clowney, and his preference for Super Bowl contenders could rule out some teams, but sources tell me the Colts are going to be a team in serious pursuit of the star defensive end."

 

Would not hate this.  Chris Jones would be my first preference.  Would allow Colts to address other needs in the draft.

 

Joseph

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well tis the time of year where the Colts would be linked to most big name FA's because of cap space....though this would make sense. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ballard let everyone know that the DL3T position is a huge target during his year-end press conference. Ballard stated, "I think the interior, we've got to be able to get some more interior pressure. The 3-technique drives this thing. It does. Every time I've been a part of this, the 3-technique drives this."

Enter South Carolina's Javon Kinlaw, who would give Indy schematic versatility with an explosive talent. Kinlaw may or may not be there when the Colts pick. If he is, it would be extremely surprising to see him passed up. Even for a QB. Or WRF. Unless Ballard's positive he can get a guy like Justin Madubuike in RD2, it would seem that he sees Kinlaw as a top RD1 prospect. Listed primarily as a 3-tech, the Colts could line Kinlaw up anywhere - just to keep the opposition off-balance. With a quick first step and excellent power, the Gamecock star certainly checks off most of the boxes GM Chris Ballard is trying to fill for top prospects

 

 

Clowney / Jones + Kinlaw?  Yes please....

 

Joseph

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Ballard couldn't convince or spend on free agents with an Andrew Luck on the roster, how is he going to do otherwise to sell the Colts as a SB contender to free agents that say they want to play for a SB contender? He has never been interested in a bidding war before, I just do not see it happening. 

 

Shelby Harris and Jordan Philips, I can see Ballard going after, to be honest. Jaguars probably want to let go of Marcell Dareus in order to make room for Ngakoue (and others) and we might be able to squeeze a couple of years out of him, he is better against the run. Jaguars will get hit with only a dead cap hit of $2.5 mil. if they release him. Once he got injured, their run D went down the toilet. He's more of a run down NT at this point in his life, can be had for cheap, IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This makes perfect sense to me.  As much as we need the 3T position we have also been trying for years to get that premier ER.  They never hit FA but this year Clowney is going to hit FA.  I don't see Chris Jones hitting FA for the 3T.   So we have the money so now it comes down to Ballard's line in the sand stance on the cost.   Will he be more flexible for a premier ER?  And can he convince him and other FAs we are SB contenders.  I guess we will find out soon enough.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chris Jones is definitely priority #1 for me, but if we can't get him I would love getting either Arik Armstead, Yannick Ngakoue, or Clowney to help with the pass rush. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think when Ballard chose Turay and Ben with two second round picks, I don't think he is going to break the bank for a player that will just take PT away from their development.  We also have Houston.  

 

It makes much more sense to break the bank for a DT who will take PT away from Hunt, Autry, and even Lewis.  No investments there to override with another, and maybe even a sunk cost can be recouped.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think when Ballard chose Turay and Ben with two second round picks, I don't think he is going to break the bank for a player that will just take PT away from their development.  We also have Houston.  

 

It makes much more sense to break the bank for a DT who will take PT away from Hunt, Autry, and even Lewis.  No investments there to override with another, and maybe even a sunk cost can be recouped.

Agreed. If he breaks the bank for a DL player in free agency, it should be Chris Jones if he makes it. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The odds of Clowney signing here are slim to none. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, cjrichard said:

"One of the top free agents in 2020 will be Seattle Seahawks defensive end Jadeveon Clowney, and Clowney has stated a team's likelihood of Super Bowl contention is a key factor for his signing. WalterFootball.com has learned from league sources that the Indianapolis Colts are one of the teams are expected to make a run at signing Clowney. The Colts have a ton of salary cap space and money to spend, and they could use an impactful player on their defensive line. Clowney would also be a great scheme fit in Matt Eberflus' defense. Signing with Indianapolis would also give Clowney the opportunity to play the Texans twice per year, and going against his former team could be a nice perk to signing with Indianapolis. There could be a competitive market for Clowney, and his preference for Super Bowl contenders could rule out some teams, but sources tell me the Colts are going to be a team in serious pursuit of the star defensive end."

 

Would not hate this.  Chris Jones would be my first preference.  Would allow Colts to address other needs in the draft.

 

Joseph

Heard all this crap before and our GM continues to stay the course and bring in losers that don't help take this team to the next level he's only concerned with getting meaningless Comp picks  and acquiring second round picks for pennies on the dollar. If he does spend any real money on a higher priced guy this year I will pinch myself to find out if i'm dreaming.

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, cjrichard said:

WalterFootball.com has learned from league sources that the Indianapolis Colts are one of the teams are expected to make a run at signing Clowney. The Colts have a ton of salary cap space and money to spend, and they could use an impactful player on their defensive line.

When a website like WalterFootball learns from "league sources" rather than from "team sources" that the team "is expected" to make a run because "they have a ton of salary cap space", it cannot be taken as evidence that the team really is interested in the player at all.  Far too often, especially at this time of year, that kind of reporting from league sources being misinterpreted as actual team interest is rampant.  I'll wait until someone reports that "according to team sources", they are interested.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok this needs to stop. Just because we have cap space, doesn't mean we need to be linked to every single big time FA. We are not the Jets or the redskins

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, jameszeigler834 said:

Heard all this crap before and our GM continues to stay the course and bring in losers that don't help take this team to the next level he's only concerned with getting meaningless Comp picks  and acquiring second round picks for pennies on the dollar. If he does spend any real money on a higher priced guy this year I will pinch myself to find out if i'm dreaming.

For a moment there, I read the post and wondered,  “What the hell?   Who is writing such nonsense?!?”  
 

Then I scrolled back up, saw who it was, and laughed my head off!   
 

Of course!  THAT’S who’s writing such nonsense!   Par for the course.  Same as it ever was....   oh well....   time marches on, even if some people don’t...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, cjrichard said:

Ballard let everyone know that the DL3T position is a huge target during his year-end press conference. Ballard stated, "I think the interior, we've got to be able to get some more interior pressure. The 3-technique drives this thing. It does. Every time I've been a part of this, the 3-technique drives this."

Enter South Carolina's Javon Kinlaw, who would give Indy schematic versatility with an explosive talent. Kinlaw may or may not be there when the Colts pick. If he is, it would be extremely surprising to see him passed up. Even for a QB. Or WRF. Unless Ballard's positive he can get a guy like Justin Madubuike in RD2, it would seem that he sees Kinlaw as a top RD1 prospect. Listed primarily as a 3-tech, the Colts could line Kinlaw up anywhere - just to keep the opposition off-balance. With a quick first step and excellent power, the Gamecock star certainly checks off most of the boxes GM Chris Ballard is trying to fill for top prospects

 

 

Clowney / Jones + Kinlaw?  Yes please....

 

Joseph

I could see Ballard trade up for a DT more than a QB this year

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Clowney would be a nice addition to our defense, but we've seen that Chris Ballard is very disciplined and tries to avoid overspending for free agents. I think the price for Mr. Clowney's services will just be too steep for the Colts to pay. I'm not saying we can't afford him, I'm just saying I don't think we will spend the amount it will take to sign him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They should be interested. Clowney is an impact player that is still in his prime and fills a position of need if Sheard leaves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Pagano always took the blame for his players. That is why every player that played for him loved the guy. He has never made excuses or threw one of his players under the bus. Like I said- His game adjustments were hampered by the lack of talent.  What you are failing to realise is that Pagano was a first time head coach when he joined the Colts. He still didn't have a losing record and was not even close to being as bad as most think in this forum. Just because the fans want a scrape goat does not mean he deserved being one. 
    • Eagles need WRs in the worst way   Eagles select Henry Ruggs   Bills are up
    • Jags take Josh Jones OT Eagles turn 
    • Pagano himself disagrees with your post.       Pagano sucked at in game adjustments, motivation and game planning. I wouldn't say he is the worst coach ever but he provided minimal value to the team, although Grigson significantly hampered his ceiling with this team.
    • Yea, no way to predict injuries... with a healthy Funchess, Campbell, and Fountain to compliment TY, that group hypothetically should be pretty solid.   I thought Campbell really showed strides in improving his game throughout the season, though it was unfortunate that every time he showed glimpses of what he may become, he would get re-injured.  And Funchess from pre-season and the little bit we saw of him in game 1 looked to have pretty solid chemistry with Brissett.   From a recent interview, it sounds like Ballard wants Funchess back.  If we can't sign him before the draft, I expect we'll get a big-bodied guy there.  I tend to think we're going to draft one either way.   Jacoby's play definitely declined after week 6 last year (he had 14 of his 18 TDs in the first 6 games).  Obviously, he was a step back from Luck.  However, I still can't pinpoint his decline over the season.  Was it a) he had a lack of targets due to all our injuries? b) Jacoby's knee injury taking some zip off his throws? c) teams figuring out how to game plan against him, or d) Jacoby just not being all that good of a QB?    My guess is, all 4 factored into that... I certainly think he would've been a little better without the injuries and with a better WR corps, but can't say how much.  That said, I don't think the lack of talent at WR last year was due to CB not trying to build that position group anywhere near as much as it was due to unexpected injuries.
  • Members

    • crazycolt1

      crazycolt1 11,062

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • HOZER

      HOZER 4,230

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CR91

      CR91 9,385

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PureLuck

      PureLuck 111

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Grigson's Gaffes

      Grigson's Gaffes 575

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ScotColt

      ScotColt 47

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • NewColtsFan

      NewColtsFan 20,043

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Derakynn

      Derakynn 1,311

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • SteelDragon

      SteelDragon 453

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...