Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts 2019 Rookie Draft Class Ranked.....

9th by ESPN analytics.   Used Wins Above Replacement as their main metric.

Apologies,  it's a Premium story and I'm never quite sure what I'm allowed to reveal about stories like that.

Remember,  we started off drafting 26th...     and then traded back to 34th where we took Rock.

So, from there our class of Rock, Ben, Parris, Bobby, Khari, Tell and Speed did well enough to have us ranked 9th overall.

With his full staff in place,  we have a front office that seems to have a good idea of what they're doing.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Apologies,  it's a Premium story and I'm never quite sure what I'm allowed to reveal about stories like that.

Remember,  we started off drafting 26th...     and then traded back to 34th where we took Rock.

So, from there our class of Rock, Ben, Parris, Bobby, Khari, Tell and Speed did well enough to have us ranked 9th overall.

With his full staff in place,  we have a front office that seems to have a good idea of what they're doing.

But they're not in the Super Bowl like San Francisco.

:sarcasm:

8 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

So while we didn't have a first rounder, our 2nd pick in the second round hardly played i would say that's pretty dang impressive. It should end up rising as Okereke gets more playing time, Campbell gets more snaps and Willis becomes a full time starter.

• Like 1

That's fine, but I think buried in the ranking was the relative great performances of the later picks like Okerke, Willis, and Tell more than the earlier picks living up to....or exceeding...expectations.  How can they rank Ben and Parris very highly?  They didn't play much.

Having the early picks exceeding expectations takes you closer to the SB than having your 4th and 5th rounders exceeding expectations.  JMO.

Ben Banogu was the only head scratcher/disappointment for me. For me he's right there with Tarell Basham and Tyquan Lewis as Ballard's developmental guy's. I thought there were better players on the board at that pick (I'm no NFL manager, just my opinion). Overall, I liked the draft and as always have faith in Ballard and Reich. Happy to be a Colts fan with those 2 men at the helm. Nothing but respect for their beliefs, vision and passion for the team. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

Ben Banogu was the only head scratcher/disappointment for me. For me he's right there with Tarell Basham and Tyquan Lewis as Ballard's developmental guy's. I thought there were better players on the board at that pick (I'm no NFL manager, just my opinion). Overall, I liked the draft and as always have faith in Ballard and Reich. Happy to be a Colts fan with those 2 men at the helm. Nothing but respect for their beliefs, vision and passion for the team. 

Banogu should in no way shape or form be a disappointment. He wasnt even drafted as an edge rusher. He was drafted as an outside line backer and to be kinda like Jamie Collins was but when he got here he showed that he had been working on pass rush moves so they moved him to edge because he was far more valuable there. He never really rushed at TCU and they did nothing to develop him.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, twfish said:

Banogu should in no way shape or form be a disappointment. He wasnt even drafted as an edge rusher. He was drafted as an outside line backer and to be kinda like Jamie Collins was but when he got here he showed that he had been working on pass rush moves so they moved him to edge because he was far more valuable there. He never really rushed at TCU and they did nothing to develop him.

But doesn't that questionable resume and fit make him sound more like a 4th rounder?   

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But doesn't that questionable resume and fit make him sound more like a 4th rounder?   

Ding ding...That was my point exactly. I was disappointed they drafted him so high. Not necessarily disappointed in the production we got from him. I knew he'd be a project/ work in progress and IMO thought we couldve got more bang for our buck with the pick. 

4 hours ago, jchandler7 said:

Ding ding...That was my point exactly. I was disappointed they drafted him so high. Not necessarily disappointed in the production we got from him. I knew he'd be a project/ work in progress and IMO thought we couldve got more bang for our buck with the pick. 

Agreed. And it wasn’t like the Turray pick where you took a guy with a high ceiling. You took a “pass rusher” who wasn’t taught any pass rushing moves early in the 2nd round.

Its just hard to look at Banogu, and think he’s a future starting DE of the future.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DougDew said:

That's fine, but I think buried in the ranking was the relative great performances of the later picks like Okerke, Willis, and Tell more than the earlier picks living up to....or exceeding...expectations.  How can they rank Ben and Parris very highly?  They didn't play much.

Having the early picks exceeding expectations takes you closer to the SB than having your 4th and 5th rounders exceeding expectations.  JMO.

Who says Ben and Paris were ranked highly?    Where did you get that?

They ranked the CLASS highly.   They listed every draft pick for all 32 teams.

The high ranking is clearly  more indicative of those who played a lit and played well, than those who didn’t play much ir all that well. 

7 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Who says Ben and Paris were ranked highly?    Where did you get that?

They ranked the CLASS highly.   They listed every draft pick for all 32 teams.

The high ranking is clearly  more indicative of those who played a lit and played well, than those who didn’t play much ir all that well. 

I would assume they would have to be ranked pretty well if the entire class was ranked well.

I was thinking that two second rounders not getting much PT would have weighed down the ranking of the class, and yet its ranked 9th.   

I mean, how would JMarcus Russell have impacted the Raiders draft class rank back in the day.

Maybe I'm mistaken.  Or maybe they just ranked them without using much logic.

21 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Good stuff. WAR is a big metric used in baseball to determine a player's overall worth. Not sure how advanced it is in football yet. Right before I clicked on the article, I guessed 8th, so I'm happy it was in that range. Very good value for no 1st round picks last year for a group of rookies. Ballard certainly knows what he's doing when it comes to the draft! :thmup:

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

I would assume they would have to be ranked pretty well if the entire class was ranked well.

I was thinking that two second rounders not getting much PT would have weighed down the ranking of the class, and yet its ranked 9th.   

I mean, how would JMarcus Russell have impacted the Raiders draft class rank back in the day.

Maybe I'm mistaken.  Or maybe they just ranked them without using much logic.

I think JaMarcus Russell would’ve hurt the Raiders ranking because he played a lot and he played badly.

But neither Benagu or Campbell played that much or that badly.   I suspect that didn’t do enough to do much harm to the ranking.   Didn’t help the ranking much,  but didn’t hurt much either.

That would be my interpretation of the ranking.  Remember, the ranking is also relative to the 31 other teams.  So maybe other teams had more players who hurt them than helped...