Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Look at what San Francisco has done in 3 years

hambone35

15 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

many of the top 10 QBR and YPG QBs were not thought to be hero QBs when drafted.... 

we don't need a hero, but we do need "good" and "capable".

Improvement at the QB position is something they should look for.   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Myles said:

Improvement at the QB position is something they should look for.   

I wouldn't be shocked if they didn't, but I would be a little surprised.

Several of the mocks are trending to QB for us. IMO drafting WRs or TEs without upgrading at QB won't get us a whole lot. It's like putting new racing tires and spinner rims on an old car with a 4 cylinder engine.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, Nickster said:

Maybe.  But they don’t have an average QB.

Comparing QBs...

Jimmy       Jacoby

QBR           12               21

YPG            17               29

Comp%      5                 26

AVG            3                 30

To your point, on the 4 top stats, JG's average rank is 9th, while JB's is 27th....

JG is well above average, and JB is well below.

Jimmy can throw to the seam too... 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Freenyfan102 said:

I would not say that he would find talent time to time but when it comes to trading up in the draft he was horrible because the people he stated after the trade up where horrible tongue ugoh and Anthony Gonzalez. He could not also get a great defensive dt to save his life.

He had a few misses, but those were toward the end of his career as a GM. But there are so many that he really nailed--and, let's face it, he got us to the Super Bowl. It's rare to find an NFL team that's truly elite on both sides of the ball. Polian made the decision to invest on the offensive side, and so there just wasn't enough money to throw at the defensive side. But even there, we had the likes of Freeney and Mathis, Sanders, and several good linebackers. 

Ballard has managed to find some gems, like Nelson (no-brainer), Leonard (surprising), and Mack. And I wouldn't say he has a BAD eye for talent. But I don't think he's on Polian's level, at least not yet.

Having the second pick in the draft didn’t hurt either...

This is what the NFL is built on.  Being able to turn things around quickly and go from worst to first.  This was like when the Colts were 2-14 and got Luck and went 11-5 the next season.  The problem is getting those types of guys at 13 is hard to do.  

7 hours ago, GoColts8818 said:

Having the second pick in the draft didn’t hurt either...

This is what the NFL is built on.  Being able to turn things around quickly and go from worst to first.  This was like when the Colts were 2-14 and got Luck and went 11-5 the next season.  The problem is getting those types of guys at 13 is hard to do.  

Didn't help the Redskins the year we got Luck, and it didn't help the Chargers the year we got Manning. Sure picking high means you have a higher chance of hitting a homerun, but the Jags and Browns prove that picking high isn't a sure bet no matter what..

34 minutes ago, ColtJax said:

Didn't help the Redskins the year we got Luck, and it didn't help the Chargers the year we got Manning. Sure picking high means you have a higher chance of hitting a homerun, but the Jags and Browns prove that picking high isn't a sure bet no matter what..

Point being is you have to have the talent too.  Talent to make that kind of a jump is normally found at the top of the draft.  Is it a guarantee?  No.  Is it a big time help?  Yes.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, masterlock said:

Ballard has managed to find some gems, like Nelson (no-brainer), Leonard (surprising), and Mack. And I wouldn't say he has a BAD eye for talent. But I don't think he's on Polian's level, at least not yet.

I disagree.  I think, so far, Ballard is at least on Polians level.  Polian had some bad drafts (2008).  

• Confused 1

Polian's first round draft picks were generally immediate hits and played at a high level for many years, as did the players he inherited, Glenn and Harrison.  Ballard hasn't been around long enough to have that kind of record yet.  Kelly and Luck probably fit into the immediate hit with longevity bucket, provided Luck had the same football drive as PM of course. 

• Sad 1

I’m a big fan of Ballard, but I don’t think it’s fair or accurate to make a comparison of a guy 3 years in, with 2 of 3 years forced to play a backup QB, vs a guy that has a HOF resume. 

Because it’s more recent, it’s easy to focus more on Polian’s later years and all the misses, but his first 20 years were historic. Built an awful Bills team into Super Bowl team 4 straight years (he was fired before the 4th trip). Took expansion Panthers to Super Bowl in just 3 years. We know his Colts history. 

Hopefully, we can compare them 5 years from now. That would be 8 years of Ballard, which will mean he’s had success here. 

• Like 3

And Polians second second round pick was Mike Peterson who I still don't understand not resigning him after his rookie contract expired. It would have taken a lot of money but Peterson was better than the 3 guys who manned the will position after him(June, Thornton and Session). Peterson in that Dungy defense would have been lights out! Still have my Mike Peterson jersey.

1 minute ago, masterlock said:

You're comparing different sample sizes.

I agree.   That's why I said "so far".   It'll be several more years till we can really compare them.  Even then, if Ballard can't find an very good QB, it'll be tough to compare.  

4 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Kyle Shanahan is the best move SF ever made. His Dad and he are obviously close and they know what they are doing. This same team roster might not be in the SB if not for him/them despite their apparent talent.  

I agree mostly, but they wouldn't be in the Super Bowl if they hadn't been a bad team for several years and had great draft positions.   

• Like 1