Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

RT Jack Conklin

I was so very high on Jack Conklin and I think it was a big mistake of the Titans not picking up his 5th year option.  

In the name of improvement, I’d make a big push to sign him on as the new RT, then moving Braden Smith to RG, the position he was originally meant to fill.  Plus, if you sign Conklin long term, you might have your successor to Castonzo. (I am assuming the Colts re-sign Castonzo.)

The Colts OL would be even STRONGER for next year, in theory. 

Thoughts?

53 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

I was so very high on Jack Conklin and I think it was a big mistake of the Titans not picking up his 5th year option.  

In the name of improvement, I’d make a big push to sign him on as the new RT, then moving Braden Smith to RG, the position he was originally meant to fill.  Plus, if you sign Conklin long term, you might have your successor to Castonzo. (I am assuming the Colts re-sign Castonzo.)

Thoughts?

I don’t think Conklin has the skill set for LT.    I think he’s a good RT all the way...    just MHO. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don’t think Conklin has the skill set for LT.    I think he’s a good RT all the way...    just MHO. 

Fair comment.   I am truly hoping they can convince Castonzo to commit to a new 3yr contract.  Then Conklin at RT and Braden Smith back to Guard.   I just think that would put the OL over the moon.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Fair comment.   I am truly hoping they can convince Castonzo to commit to a new 3yr contract.  Then Conklin at RT and Braden Smith back to Guard.   I just think that would put the OL over the moon.

that's what I'm hoping for plus Jack is from MSU so I'd be double happy!! 

I don't really know much about Conklin as a pro, I've only seen him against the Colts and the AFFCG and he did not have a good game in the AFFCG and against the Colts, I did not pay much attention to him but I know Sheard played well in the 2nd game, can't say I remember much about the 1st game.

I'm not saying that is indicative of him as an NFL RT or that he will never play well, just that he did not play well mainly in the AFCCG

5 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

What’s with the obsession of kicking Smith inside to guard? He’s fine at RT. The position we would need Conklin to play is LT. If you wanna look at an offensive lineman that could be upgraded, it’s Glowinski.

Smith was drafted as a guard, it was scouted as being his best position for the pros.  He has done well at RT, but not outstanding.

Hence, the obsession is with replacing Glowinski and I theorized that by acquiring Conklin, who graded out as one of the finer RTs in football this year, you could slide Smith inside to what was meant to be his best position, thus upgrading both RT AND RG.  That is the obsession, improving the line.  

4 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Smith was drafted as a guard, it was scouted as being his best position for the pros.  He has done well at RT, but not outstanding.

Hence, the obsession is with replacing Glowinski and I theorized that by acquiring Conklin, who graded out as one of the finer RTs in football this year, you could slide Smith inside to what was meant to be his best position, thus upgrading both RT AND RG.  That is the obsession, improving the line.  

Keeping things in perspective.  Tackles make more money than guards.  Smith has done well there and might not want to move to guard.  He might actually get better at RT as he keeps gaining experience.  I like the idea of Conklin at LT where he has the chance to get better there and also make more money.  If we can sign Conklin then we could draft another guard and see who wins the RG spot.  

21 hours ago, rockywoj said:

Thoughts?

Conklin is 1000% not a potential replacement for Castonzo. In fact I would bet his future is more likely going to be a guard.  

• Thanks 1

Well, I do recognize that at his draft, Conklin was also projected as being a rock at guard. It was surprising to me that he was made into a RT.  

Still though, sign him ... then either he or Smith becomes our stud RG.

Either way, with the replacement of Glowinski, by a red chip player, the Colts OL would become, by my estimation, even hugely more formidable!

Go Colts!

Conklin’s really only had two decent years, both bookending his time in Nashville. He’s going to be an example of a guy getting paid way too much after a contract year breakout. I’m assuming he sets the new bar on RTs salary this offseason, not getting paid as much as Solder did a couple years ago, but at least matching him as a free agency bust. Plus he’s only played RT in his NFL career so I certainly wouldn’t look at him as Castonzo’s replacement.