Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
cdgacoltsfan

The rebuild

Recommended Posts

38 minutes ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Are we still in the proverbial never ending 3 year rebuild?

 

Correct

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yup luck retirement, now castanzo impending retirement the 2 more important positions on the whole offense are gonna have to be addressed 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i dont like ballards use of the word rebuild to man the roster. look at hoodie he never rebuilds for years, he just upgrades the roster each season to compete, and he gets talent any way he can not just through the draft. ballards method of manning the roster with draft picks takes years if it even works at all. with ballards there have been wasted seasons and our record is getting worse while the rest of our division have moved far ahead of us.

  • Like 1
  • Confused 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If all you're going to do is to build through the draft, it will take longer than 3 years.  It might be able to be done with a Luck who can carry a mediocre roster by himself, as long as he still wants to do that, but to get a championship roster it takes longer than 3 years regardless of the QB, IMO.

 

A GM has to hit on every 1st and 2nd rounder, (six premier players) and get lucky with a few mid to late rounders that play way better than expected.  That hasn't happened so far.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

i dont like ballards use of the word rebuild to man the roster. look at hoodie he never rebuilds for years, he just upgrades the roster each season to compete, and he gets talent any way he can not just through the draft. ballards method of manning the roster with draft picks takes years if it even works at all. with ballards there have been wasted seasons and our record is getting worse while the rest of our division have moved far ahead of us.

the team was really bad when ballard got here it did need rebuilding

 

this year the colts were 30th in passing that would have never happened with luck.  we had a decent rebuild going but the star qb retiring set it back again

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 The building of a roster through the draft is all about building a solid foundation of player's that fit your system. Every GM starts over and most of the roster has been turned over in 3 years.

 The new young players need at minimum 2-3 years of experience to show they have what it takes to compete at the NFL level. And to earn the right to be leaders. We are just now on the edge of that now.

 LMAO at the boneheads that whine over and over that Ballad hasn't built his roster fast enough from outside by over spending on FA. Our young roster was considered to be one of the best prior to the start of last season. And we were perfectly set up flush with Cap money to go after the missing pieces to get over the hump to be SB contenders.

So Please stand down and whine about the next thing on your €¡~⊙》list. It is what it is.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

 The building of a roster through the draft is all about building a solid foundation of player's that fit your system. Every GM starts over and most of the roster has been turned over in 3 years.

 The new young players need at minimum 2-3 years of experience to show they have what it takes to compete at the NFL level. And to earn the right to be leaders. We are just now on the edge of that now.

 LMAO at the boneheads that whine over and over that Ballad hasn't built his roster fast enough from outside by over spending on FA. Our young roster was considered to be one of the best prior to the start of last season. And we were perfectly set up flush with Cap money to go after the missing pieces to get over the hump to be SB contenders.

So Please stand down and whine about the next thing on your €¡~⊙》list. It is what it is.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  :hat:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Are we still in the proverbial never ending 3 year rebuild?

If Luck would have stayed and we made it to the AFC Championship game, would the team still be considered in rebuilding mode?  

I think the "rebuilding" was meant more to have depth, which wasn't there on Grigsons roster.  I think we have depth at most positions now.  The roster is pretty solid.  Rebuilding usually doesn't mean top 5 players at each position.  QB is the biggest step left to rebuild.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DougDew said:

A GM has to hit on every 1st and 2nd rounder, (six premier players) and get lucky with a few mid to late rounders that play way better than expected.  That hasn't happened so far.


John Lynch hasn’t done that. However, his blue print for rebuilding a bad 49ers roster has been different than Ballard’s. JMO

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, MPStack said:


John Lynch hasn’t done that. However, his blue print for rebuilding a bad 49ers roster has been different than Ballard’s. JMO

they invested a lot of draft capitol in the d line

 

3 top 10 picks and a 4th taken at 17 i think.  it would be nice to have that kind of defense but they were able to build it by being bad for years  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

they invested a lot of draft capitol in the d line

 

3 top 10 picks and a 4th taken at 17 i think.  it would be nice to have that kind of defense but they were able to build it by being bad for years  


It was definitely nice to have those pieces, while inheriting a 2-14 team with no QB.
 

However, Lynch has whiffed on a couple high selections (R. Foster, S. Thomas), but brought in via trade or FA some good players to say the least. 
 

Impressive going from 2-14 to SB in 3 years IMO. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think all you have to do to realize that things have been mediocre to bad, barring Lucks 18' rebound/goodbye season is to look at this teams record over the last 5 years.

 

I'm not sure what's really going on at this point with respects to a rebuild, it's like a house that was close to finished and then the roof got blown off, after dealing with floods. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DEFENSE said:

i dont like ballards use of the word rebuild to man the roster. look at hoodie he never rebuilds for years, he just upgrades the roster each season to compete, and he gets talent any way he can not just through the draft. ballards method of manning the roster with draft picks takes years if it even works at all. with ballards there have been wasted seasons and our record is getting worse while the rest of our division have moved far ahead of us.

The "Hoodie" also video tapes the opponents walk throughs, deflates

balls and who knows what else to gain an advantage.

 

You need another golden bull to worship because this one is a mega cheat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll admit, the Luck retirement has turned me off from caring about this team. It's the equivalent of being in love with a girl since high school for 7 years, and right before you start a family with her (be a regular SB contender), she breaks up with you (retires) and you're back to square one and are depressed and hate the world (the Colts).

 

I feel like that person in that hypothetical situation regarding the Colts right now. We can't just rebuild through the draft anymore like with Luck. No matter what QB we end up with, it won't be Luck, and we need a 49ers-like team around the QB to compete at this rate. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I think all you have to do to realize that things have been mediocre to bad, barring Lucks 18' rebound/goodbye season is to look at this teams record over the last 5 years.

 

I'm not sure what's really going on at this point with respects to a rebuild, it's like a house that was close to finished and then the roof got blown off, after dealing with floods. 

Great analogy!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, MPStack said:


It was definitely nice to have those pieces, while inheriting a 2-14 team with no QB.
 

However, Lynch has whiffed on a couple high selections (R. Foster, S. Thomas), but brought in via trade or FA some good players to say the least. 
 

Impressive going from 2-14 to SB in 3 years IMO. 

 

Yeah...2017 was his first draft...and he whiffed on his first two picks. Still pretty crazy that they passed on QB in that situation with a new offensive-minded HC (could have had Mahomes or Watson)...but I think Jimmy G was always the target...and it was just a matter of time before NE would trade him.

 

But overall, he has done a fantastic job...and Shanahan is a great HC.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I think all you have to do to realize that things have been mediocre to bad, barring Lucks 18' rebound/goodbye season is to look at this teams record over the last 5 years.

 

I'm not sure what's really going on at this point with respects to a rebuild, it's like a house that was close to finished and then the roof got blown off, after dealing with floods. 

 

Yeah...and when Luck wasn't playing well...they were 1-5 to start the season. So outside of that 10-1 stretch when Luck started playing like an MVP again (and the team gelled a bit)...the overall record has been something like 12-27 over the past three years...and even with that stretch...it's still just 22-28...which is a 7 win team on average.

 

The roster has definitely gotten better though...but they still need talent at a few position and they REALLY need a good QB to make the passing game work again.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, shastamasta said:

 

Yeah...and when Luck wasn't playing well...they were 1-5 to start the season. So outside of that 10-1 stretch when Luck started playing like an MVP again (and the team gelled a bit)...the overall record has been something like 12-27 over the past three years...and even with that stretch...it's still just 22-28...which is a 7 win team on average.

 

The roster has definitely gotten better though...but they still need talent at a few position and they REALLY need a good QB to make the passing game work again.

Just so I'm not doom/gloom too much here, it's certainly true that the roster is improving in areas that had eroded badly under Grigson. Up front on both sides of the ball, it's night and day really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, cdgacoltsfan said:

Are we still in the proverbial never ending 3 year rebuild?

No, and and we're only going into year 3 of that 3 year rebuild.

 

So far during our "rebuild" we had a year where we made the playoffs and won a game and a lost year where we were in the #2 seed when the wheels fell off.  For most teams, that's what they look like when they're trying to contend.  We're "rebuilding" and getting these results, I'd call that pretty good.

 

 

Still think that this team as built could have made the playoffs if our WR unit didn't get absolutely wrecked with injuries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I really don't like the rebuild term. It comes across to me as a ready made excuse and you're never really starting from zero.

 

If you think about the time period it takes to build a team its usually only about 7 or 8 years anyway. You can't just take 3 or 4 years "off" while you're restocking, it should always be a continual process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Fish said:

I think all you have to do to realize that things have been mediocre to bad, barring Lucks 18' rebound/goodbye season is to look at this teams record over the last 5 years.

 

I'm not sure what's really going on at this point with respects to a rebuild, it's like a house that was close to finished and then the roof got blown off, after dealing with floods. 


I don’t know. The house seemed to be closed to be finished with Luck playing. I would say that that Luck was part of the foundation and not the roof. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, deedub75 said:


I don’t know. The house seemed to be closed to be finished with Luck playing. I would say that that Luck was part of the foundation and not the roof. 

Luck was the cornerstone of this team.  This season is proof enough for me.  Yeah, the WR's injury fiasco was an item, but Luck could make average receivers better.  JB does not posses that quality - at least not yet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, MB-ColtsFan said:

Luck was the cornerstone of this team.  This season is proof enough for me.  Yeah, the WR's injury fiasco was an item, but Luck could make average receivers better.  JB does not posses that quality - at least not yet.

Not sure he's gonna just figure that out 8 yrs. Of high level QB play in....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 11:00 AM, Jared Cisneros said:

I'll admit, the Luck retirement has turned me off from caring about this team. It's the equivalent of being in love with a girl since high school for 7 years, and right before you start a family with her (be a regular SB contender), she breaks up with you (retires) and you're back to square one and are depressed and hate the world (the Colts).

 

I feel like that person in that hypothetical situation regarding the Colts right now. We can't just rebuild through the draft anymore like with Luck. No matter what QB we end up with, it won't be Luck, and we need a 49ers-like team around the QB to compete at this rate. 

Honestly, the only thing keeping me alive at this point is the insanely talented front office. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 11:16 AM, Four2itus said:

If the only thing you root for and enjoy as a fan is a SB, then the bed of misery you might lie in, is the bed you made.

 

I love this team, it's character, it's mettle, it's flaws, and all. Mostly, I love the adventure as the team moves forward. For me to be miserable about it..... would be profoundly stupid. 

 

Entertainment is a choice. Choose wisely. 

 

This.

Wish I could “thanks” and “like” this post!

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

pretty sure we have been "building the monster" since Manning got injured and released.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope ballard throws some genius into the recipe the next couple years. Right now, I can sense the feeling of hopeless brewing with Andrew retiring, and now all the Castanzo talk has me a bit down. Remember when Castanzo was out in 2018? This line majorly suffered in every way, and to need to put more into the oline is really going to set us back unless a great QB falls into our lap. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For us long term fans this is nothing to lose sleep over.

IMO we are in good hands with Ballard. 

Deep down most of us know we are a better than what our record was this last season. 

We sure as hades are better than we were before Harbaugh > Manning arrived. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We need a 3 Technique who going to strike fear in opposing teams. This team would be at a whole different level in my opinion just like it did with Q.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

pretty sure we have been "building the monster" since Manning got injured and released.

No we haven't.  We were in playoff position with Luck every single year.  We were not rebuilding.  We were competing.

 

You can track the beginning of this rebuild to when Grigson was fired.  It's a pity Ballard couldn't get Luck back on track but the original plan was to rebuild around Luck and try to save his career and he made a tremendous effort to try to keep him upright.  Too little too late I guess.

 

That said, if anything, after Luck's retirement we're entering year 1 of a rebuild.

  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 11:16 AM, Four2itus said:

If the only thing you root for and enjoy as a fan is a SB, then the bed of misery you might lie in, is the bed you made.

 

 

 

 

its not the only thing but it should be the main goal, if its not the goal then i wouldnt watch as much

 

followed the pacers for over 30 years and they have never won an nba championship.  sometimes it is frustrating when it seems like the team isnt even close or on track

 

i think its funny when people think we shouldnt complain on these forums  

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

 

 

 

 

followed the pacers for over 30 years and they have never won an nba championship.  sometimes it is frustrating when it seems like the team isnt even close or on track

 

 

The Pacers are in NBA purgatory.   As a small market team not located in an attractive location, they have a very hard time enticing FA's to come play for them.   

They are well run and put a competitive good team out almost every year, so they don't get high draft picks.  

There last 5 top ten draft picks:

2010 - Paul George (10)

1996 - Eric Dampier (10)

1989 - George McCloud (7)

1988 - Rik Smits (2)

1986 - Chuck Person (4)

 

I would guess that there is not another team in the NBA with only 2 top 10 picks in the last 24 years.  Tough to build a championship team without those picks.  

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

 

 

its not the only thing but it should be the main goal, if its not the goal then i wouldnt watch as much

 

followed the pacers for over 30 years and they have never won an nba championship.  sometimes it is frustrating when it seems like the team isnt even close or on track

 

i think its funny when people think we shouldnt complain on these forums  

There would be very little content on this forum at all if it wasn't for complaining.

 

Championships are the destination.  There's nothing wrong with enjoying the journey, there's also nothing wrong with marking our progress towards the destination.

 

You can simultaneously aim for the Superbowl while celebrating lesser goals.  this is not an either-or proposition. 

 

For me, I was really hoping for at least a winning season this year.  We had all the talent we needed to do it but it didn't come together right.  It happens.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone keeps going on about the 49'ers and how they have built their team. Where were these people last year when the 49'ers were 4-12 and had the 2nd pick in the draft? You weren't wanting to be like San Francisco then. Why was San Fran 4-12 last year? Because they lost their starting QB! This year we went 7-9 and we lost our 1 week before the season started. So maybe things aren't quite as bad as people are making it out to be! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • I have seen some noise Miami might take Herbert over TUA. Someone great will be there at 13.  A WR, DT, or QB. Someone will drop.
    • I'd be excited to have a year or two of Rivers mentoring a young guy like Love, Eason, Fromm... And choosing to draft a LT or DL at 13.  It's probably not likely that they trade up to get what looks to a less than usually talented third QB in the draft, so why not see if Rivers can do better than last year's JB with a better line, and organization around him.   He makes iffy decisions, but the guy can read a defense, and has a ton of experience to impart.
    • Brett Veach on Ross Tucker podcast talking about scouting Patrick Mahomes: https://www.podcastone.com/episode/Chiefs-GM-Brett-Veach   (they start talking about Mahomes at about the 14:45 mark, I will skip some things and will quote some things too)   I feel very similarly about Jordan Love - great athlete, great mobility, can throw off any platform, very strong arm, makes some ridiculous throws. Was forcing a ton of throws because he knew he had to drag his team forward with the horrible talent around him. Match him up with Frank Reich, who himself has experience developing a young talented QB in Wentz, and let him work on his decisionmaking and focusing his talent in a more productive/efficient direction.    But the last part, about his football smarts, is the part we won't really know anything about, but Reich and Ballard will have the chance to see on what level he is. It will be very important for his evaluation - how smart is he, what's his understanding of football concepts, can he remember plays and walk you through them and run them, can he handle the mental aspects of being a QB in the league? Is there anything off-field to concern you? Etc. Those are things Ballard, Reich and Brian Decker will have to answer before you invest big draft assets into him. 
    • I will be curious to see if 3-4 OTs go before our pick... Browns, Arizona, Jets, Giants, etc...all need online help. Raiders need WRs... I see CeeDee going to Arizona...to play with his college buddy. Jeudy to the Raiders... wondering who the random guy that always seems to get selected in the top 10-15 picks will be this year. 
    • 49ers select Jeff Gladney CB with consecutive TCU players coming off the board. Chiefs are up
  • Members

    • stitches

      stitches 7,265

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • coltsfanmurf

      coltsfanmurf 25

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Colt.45

      Colt.45 99

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Indyfan4life

      Indyfan4life 1,275

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • HOZER

      HOZER 4,230

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • cdgacoltsfan

      cdgacoltsfan 348

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • joecolts

      joecolts 6

      New Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Chloe6124

      Chloe6124 6,572

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Catloaf

      Catloaf 135

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Shafty138

      Shafty138 1,570

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...