Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
Dingus McGirt

An Interesting Colts 1st Round Pick - from NJ.com

Recommended Posts

What do you think?

 

13) Indianapolis Colts: Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State

The Colts are building something special along the defensive line after signing Justin Houston to a mammoth six-year contract last offseason, and pair him with Gross-Matos, who has elite bend and explosiveness off the edge. As a junior at Penn State, Gross-Matos produced 9.5 sacks. He has the chance to be an ideal complement to Houston as they race to AFC South quarterbacks such as Deshaun Watson and Ryan Tannehill.

 

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/01/nfl-mock-draft-2020-matt-rhule-and-panthers-trade-up-for-lsus-joe-burrow-giants-add-clemsons-isaiah-simmons-or-offensive-line-help-wr-on-the-way-for-eagles-carson-wentz-lombardo-20.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, gnet550 said:

I kind of question the source from the start...when they say we signed Houston to a mammoth 6 year deal. If I’m not mistaken we signed him to like a 2 yr 23 mill contract lol

Oops.  Hah.  I thought it was a two year deal.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I kind of question the source from the start...when they say we signed Houston to a mammoth 6 year deal. If I’m not mistaken we signed him to like a 2 yr 23 mill contract lol

Sounds like they referenced Houston's deal the Chiefs gave him way back when.

 

Not only that but their projected trade between the Panthers and Cincy of Cam Newton.... a 2020 2nd rounder.... and a 2021 1st and 3rd rounder for the #1 overall from the Bengals is laughable. 

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What a horrible first round pick. DE is no where near our biggest need, and not only that, but this would be a huge reach. Matos is very raw and could easily be had in the mid 2nd round. 

 

Indy needs to go DT, WR, or QB round 1. Possibly LT if Costanzo were to retire. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Sounds like they referenced Houston's deal the Chiefs gave him way back when.

 

Not only that but their projected trade between the Panthers and Cincy of Cam Newton.... a 2020 2nd rounder.... and a 2021 1st and 3rd rounder for the #1 overall from the Bengals is laughable. 

 

 

If that trade is possible, I’d offer the Bengals the rights to Andrew Luck, JB, our 2nd pick in the 2nd rd this year and a 2nd rd next year. I’d also offer them a dinner for 4, once a month at Ruth Chris steak house for a year lol. I mean if that wouldn’t seal the deal idk lol. 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't like the spot, but Gross-Matos fits to a tee the profile of defenders Ballard likes - size, LENGHT for days, explosiveness... I think he would be great pick if we decide to trade down and pick up ammunition for next year's draft. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

What do you think?

 

13) Indianapolis Colts: Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State

The Colts are building something special along the defensive line after signing Justin Houston to a mammoth six-year contract last offseason, and pair him with Gross-Matos, who has elite bend and explosiveness off the edge. As a junior at Penn State, Gross-Matos produced 9.5 sacks. He has the chance to be an ideal complement to Houston as they race to AFC South quarterbacks such as Deshaun Watson and Ryan Tannehill.

 

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/01/nfl-mock-draft-2020-matt-rhule-and-panthers-trade-up-for-lsus-joe-burrow-giants-add-clemsons-isaiah-simmons-or-offensive-line-help-wr-on-the-way-for-eagles-carson-wentz-lombardo-20.html

The problem is he won’t be there at 34 and I would hope Chris goes after Kinlaw or Brown at 13. Plus I want to see his previous drafts edge guys develop a little more ie Ben, Kemoko and yes Lewis as I would almost put him back on the edge as IMO he’s struggling a bit at IDL

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BProland85 said:

What a horrible first round pick. DE is no where near our biggest need, and not only that, but this would be a huge reach. Matos is very raw and could easily be had in the mid 2nd round. 

 

Indy needs to go DT, WR, or QB round 1. Possibly LT if Costanzo were to retire. 

 

FA appears to be the route for DE...as it could very likely have a few proven legit options. 

 

I wouldn't put DE near the top of needs...but it does have long-term question marks. How long can Houston play at this level...is Sheard worth retaining...can Turay stay injury-free and continue to progress. 

 

I think they definitely look at adding a legit DE if one is available in FA.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't like the spot, but Gross-Matos fits to a tee the profile of defenders Ballard likes - size, LENGHT for days, explosiveness... I think he would be great pick if we decide to trade down and pick up ammunition for next year's draft. 

 

I don't the like the spot either. It's way early in the process...but I think he's a guy that will go late 1st and possibly even in the 2nd round. The Colts are in a position to either get the QB they want OR a blue chip prospect at another position. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Sounds like they referenced Houston's deal the Chiefs gave him way back when.

 

Not only that but their projected trade between the Panthers and Cincy of Cam Newton.... a 2020 2nd rounder.... and a 2021 1st and 3rd rounder for the #1 overall from the Bengals is laughable. 

 

 

Cincy has already said they were not interested in trading their 1st overall pick unless someone offered a deal they couldn't refuse. Cam Newton is not a deal breaker. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pass rushers is not a major concern. We still have young pass rushers in Turay benogu and Lewis that are still growing. We need to help our offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

Oops.  Hah.  I thought it was a two year deal.

 

It was two years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, BProland85 said:

What a horrible first round pick. DE is no where near our biggest need, and not only that, but this would be a huge reach. Matos is very raw and could easily be had in the mid 2nd round. 

 

Indy needs to go DT, WR, or QB round 1. Possibly LT if Costanzo were to retire. 

Dont be surprised if Matos goes late 1st round.   That’s what I’m reading as if now...     If not there, then very high 2nd round.     Just saying... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Jdubu said:

If that trade is possible, I’d offer the Bengals the rights to Andrew Luck, JB, our 2nd pick in the 2nd rd this year and a 2nd rd next year. I’d also offer them a dinner for 4, once a month at Ruth Chris steak house for a year lol. I mean if that wouldn’t seal the deal idk lol. 

 

I'd thrown in a free swim at the canal too for all Bengals when they visit in pre-season. :) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

If we are going DE it needs to be Epenesa. I wouldn't want any other end at 13. 

 

Epenesa disappears for stretches, I have heard from Iowa fans. From what I saw, he doesn't win with quickness or speed, mostly bull rushes and has a non-stop motor. He is the kind like those Smith guys with the Packers, effective in the right system. He has great power at the point but limited lateral agility.

 

I don't think he can be played inside in our system, he will get washed out, might be a good fit for a 3-4 DE 2-gap guy because he won't be easily moved at the edge and will set it well with good power at the point of attack. Doesn't have the bend or speed at the edge to be that much better than any DE we have for our 4-3, IMO, to justify getting him at No.13.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/20/2020 at 8:39 AM, gnet550 said:

I kind of question the source from the start...when they say we signed Houston to a mammoth 6 year deal. If I’m not mistaken we signed him to like a 2 yr 23 mill contract lol

Well, at least they didn't have Philadelphia trading up to the 2nd Overall for a penny and a mint to draft Chase Young...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe too early, but the kid is a monster. Would love to see him somewhere in the mix.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Sure. But a lot of the fans hadn't even heard of him. That's all I'm trying to say. 
    • That's your way to do it? With a post like that? Ok.   Thread was about our coach statement.    Responded to poster, that took it from football, to questions about situation. Which I answered pretty eloquently, imo.   I much prefer talking about football, as you can see from my post after the op. I stated I'm happy he is our coach and players will give their all to him. I cant wait to see them lay it on the line.   If you don't want threads derailed, please post towards the poster, who derailed it in the first place, and don't come in with more derailing material in the post where you ask for the thread to not be derailed anymore. Will most likely only get a response, which will further derail the thread.   Back to football now?
    • Pretty sure I was responding to someone taking a shot at the Patriots.  At least I have that going for me.
    • Moss was great for 2 years there. thats it. Gronk was great when he played, yes. You do realize that Welker did nothing before coming to NE?  Brady made him famous.   Fact is, Peyton always had first round picks on his offense. Brady did not. That was my point. 
    • You mean like being instantly fired. Losing the civil immunity cops usually need to do their job. And then being charged with murder. All within 96 hours, before the riots even started? The entire country; white, black, cops, non-cops all agreed that this was unacceptable behavior for the police and the world responded. That kind of accountable?    And THEN after all that, they burned down their city. And 140 other cities along with it.   Cops are fired every. single. day. Cops go to jail every. single. day. Cops speak up about their fellow cops every. single. day. They just do it properly and appropriately through their chains of command. You don't hear about it because its not a fun soundbite.   Can we go back to talking about football, please?
  • Members

×
×
  • Create New...