Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

An Interesting Colts 1st Round Pick - from NJ.com

What do you think?

13) Indianapolis Colts: Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State

The Colts are building something special along the defensive line after signing Justin Houston to a mammoth six-year contract last offseason, and pair him with Gross-Matos, who has elite bend and explosiveness off the edge. As a junior at Penn State, Gross-Matos produced 9.5 sacks. He has the chance to be an ideal complement to Houston as they race to AFC South quarterbacks such as Deshaun Watson and Ryan Tannehill.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/01/nfl-mock-draft-2020-matt-rhule-and-panthers-trade-up-for-lsus-joe-burrow-giants-add-clemsons-isaiah-simmons-or-offensive-line-help-wr-on-the-way-for-eagles-carson-wentz-lombardo-20.html

27 minutes ago, gnet550 said:

I kind of question the source from the start...when they say we signed Houston to a mammoth 6 year deal. If I’m not mistaken we signed him to like a 2 yr 23 mill contract lol

Sounds like they referenced Houston's deal the Chiefs gave him way back when.

Not only that but their projected trade between the Panthers and Cincy of Cam Newton.... a 2020 2nd rounder.... and a 2021 1st and 3rd rounder for the #1 overall from the Bengals is laughable. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

What a horrible first round pick. DE is no where near our biggest need, and not only that, but this would be a huge reach. Matos is very raw and could easily be had in the mid 2nd round. 

Indy needs to go DT, WR, or QB round 1. Possibly LT if Costanzo were to retire. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, pacolts56 said:

Not only that but their projected trade between the Panthers and Cincy of Cam Newton.... a 2020 2nd rounder.... and a 2021 1st and 3rd rounder for the #1 overall from the Bengals is laughable. 

If that trade is possible, I’d offer the Bengals the rights to Andrew Luck, JB, our 2nd pick in the 2nd rd this year and a 2nd rd next year. I’d also offer them a dinner for 4, once a month at Ruth Chris steak house for a year lol. I mean if that wouldn’t seal the deal idk lol. 

6 hours ago, Dingus McGirt said:

What do you think?

13) Indianapolis Colts: Yetur Gross-Matos, EDGE, Penn State

The Colts are building something special along the defensive line after signing Justin Houston to a mammoth six-year contract last offseason, and pair him with Gross-Matos, who has elite bend and explosiveness off the edge. As a junior at Penn State, Gross-Matos produced 9.5 sacks. He has the chance to be an ideal complement to Houston as they race to AFC South quarterbacks such as Deshaun Watson and Ryan Tannehill.

https://www.nj.com/giants/2020/01/nfl-mock-draft-2020-matt-rhule-and-panthers-trade-up-for-lsus-joe-burrow-giants-add-clemsons-isaiah-simmons-or-offensive-line-help-wr-on-the-way-for-eagles-carson-wentz-lombardo-20.html

The problem is he won’t be there at 34 and I would hope Chris goes after Kinlaw or Brown at 13. Plus I want to see his previous drafts edge guys develop a little more ie Ben, Kemoko and yes Lewis as I would almost put him back on the edge as IMO he’s struggling a bit at IDL

5 hours ago, BProland85 said:

What a horrible first round pick. DE is no where near our biggest need, and not only that, but this would be a huge reach. Matos is very raw and could easily be had in the mid 2nd round. 

FA appears to be the route for DE...as it could very likely have a few proven legit options. 

I wouldn't put DE near the top of needs...but it does have long-term question marks. How long can Houston play at this level...is Sheard worth retaining...can Turay stay injury-free and continue to progress. 

I think they definitely look at adding a legit DE if one is available in FA.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stitches said:

I don't like the spot, but Gross-Matos fits to a tee the profile of defenders Ballard likes - size, LENGHT for days, explosiveness... I think he would be great pick if we decide to trade down and pick up ammunition for next year's draft. 

I don't the like the spot either. It's way early in the process...but I think he's a guy that will go late 1st and possibly even in the 2nd round. The Colts are in a position to either get the QB they want OR a blue chip prospect at another position. 

6 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Cincy has already said they were not interested in trading their 1st overall pick unless someone offered a deal they couldn't refuse. Cam Newton is not a deal breaker. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, BProland85 said:

Dont be surprised if Matos goes late 1st round.   That’s what I’m reading as if now...     If not there, then very high 2nd round.     Just saying... 

6 hours ago, Jdubu said:

If that trade is possible, I’d offer the Bengals the rights to Andrew Luck, JB, our 2nd pick in the 2nd rd this year and a 2nd rd next year. I’d also offer them a dinner for 4, once a month at Ruth Chris steak house for a year lol. I mean if that wouldn’t seal the deal idk lol. 

I'd thrown in a free swim at the canal too for all Bengals when they visit in pre-season. :) 

9 minutes ago, coltsfanej said:

If we are going DE it needs to be Epenesa. I wouldn't want any other end at 13. 

Epenesa disappears for stretches, I have heard from Iowa fans. From what I saw, he doesn't win with quickness or speed, mostly bull rushes and has a non-stop motor. He is the kind like those Smith guys with the Packers, effective in the right system. He has great power at the point but limited lateral agility.

I don't think he can be played inside in our system, he will get washed out, might be a good fit for a 3-4 DE 2-gap guy because he won't be easily moved at the edge and will set it well with good power at the point of attack. Doesn't have the bend or speed at the edge to be that much better than any DE we have for our 4-3, IMO, to justify getting him at No.13.

On 1/20/2020 at 8:39 AM, gnet550 said:

I kind of question the source from the start...when they say we signed Houston to a mammoth 6 year deal. If I’m not mistaken we signed him to like a 2 yr 23 mill contract lol

Well, at least they didn't have Philadelphia trading up to the 2nd Overall for a penny and a mint to draft Chase Young...