Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

SB 54 Chiefs 49ers

danlhart87

Just now, BleedBlu8792 said:

I'll take KC.. While KC's defense isn't great, or even good, they are good enough. Mahomes is playing out his mind right now and I don't think SF can go score for score with them. 

Their D has the ability to shut him down but we will see.

What we’ve seen is that when Mahomes gets flushed out to the side, he can still makes passes. Pressure up the middle though with containment, might rattle him.

Offensively, the chiefs were vulnerable to getting run on. Titans couldn’t keep it up though and their defense couldn’t slow them down to let the running continue.

Should be a great game.

49ers, hate to say it, remind me of the early Patriots dynasty years. All the defensive talent stockpiled, it seems like watching Patriots vs Colts of the early years when the 49ers play the Chiefs. We all know what happened. 

49ers prevail in a close one with Kyle Shanahan finally doing what he did not during the last few minutes of the Falcons SB vs the Patriots, run the ball to ice the game. 

49ers 30 Chiefs 24

7 hours ago, danlhart87 said:

Thoughts?

I'm thinking SF wins.

SF FOR THESE REASONS:

1.  Best pass Rush D and have good cover corners

2. an amazing Run O, but if you stack the box Kittle and Sanders will burn you.

Prediction:

SF 45

KC 24

40 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

One of the best defenses VS. one of the best offenses. 

Great matchup!

If I recall correctly, Super Bowls where the top offense and top defense play each other are extremely skewed in favour of the defense.  Two very recent examples would be the Manning Broncos being beaten by the Seahawks, and the Falcons losing to New England.

I want to see KC win it, but I think San Fran wins.  KC's OL hasn't done anything to impress me and KC's best running threat is Mahomes.  That's not a formula for success against a team with an elite defense and such a stout DL in San Fran.  Andy Reid is very smart and will come up with some good schemes to help, but I expect to see Mahomes running for his life on nearly every dropback.

I also feel bad for Justin Houston, leaving KC for a team he thought would be a Super Bowl contender, only to have the QB of that team retire and watch his former team make the Super Bowl.  Maybe they give him an honourary ring if they win.

• Like 4

San Francisco seems to have the more balanced team and has made fewer mistakes than Kansas City. I would take Shanahan's coaching over Reid's. (Not an Andy Reid fan, though really can't explain why-it just is.) Besides, Garoppolo is easy on the eyes. So, taking the 49ers. 

Something will be missing in this year's Superbowl, though. Oh yeah, no Patriots. :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 21isSuperman said:

If I recall correctly, Super Bowls where the top offense and top defense play each other are extremely skewed in favour of the defense.  Two very recent examples would be the Manning Broncos being beaten by the Seahawks, and the Falcons losing to New England.

I want to see KC win it, but I think San Fran wins.  KC's OL hasn't done anything to impress me and KC's best running threat is Mahomes.  That's not a formula for success against a team with an elite defense and such a stout DL in San Fran.  Andy Reid is very smart and will come up with some good schemes to help, but I expect to see Mahomes running for his life on nearly every dropback.

I also feel bad for Justin Houston, leaving KC for a team he thought would be a Super Bowl contender, only to have the QB of that team retire and watch his former team make the Super Bowl.  Maybe they give him an honourary ring if they win.

I was thinking about that too. I could only think of the Rams (greatest show on turf) beating the Titans, but I don't remember if the defense was that special. But then pats turning around and beating the Rams the next year. I think their D was tough that year - but again I can't remember. 

I think the 49'ers are going to stop KC. 49'ers Defense is nasty! 

I love that football is fun to watch again - since the pats aren't in it. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, JimJaime said:

SF FOR THESE REASONS:

Prediction:

SF 45

KC 24

I don't think it will be a double digit game.

SF 30 KC 24 was my original prediction, or it could even be like one of those FG SB wins of the Patriots because KC has been good in the red zone and if that continues, SF 31 KC 28.

A few objective facts:

1. FWIW, the NFC as a collective went 33-31 against the AFC

2. FWIW, the 49ers opponents this year went 128-126-2, while the Chiefs opponents this year went 130-125-1

3. FWIW, the 49ers played 5 playoff teams during the regular season and went 3-2, the Chiefs played 6 and went 3-3

I’d say all this data, at least to me, means the two conferences (as a whole) were roughly equal, and the Chiefs and 49ers schedules were roughly equal.

More facts that belie our assumptions:

a. Did you know the Chiefs defense actually allowed fewer points in the regular season than the 49ers?

b. Did you know the 49ers offense actually scored more points than the Chiefs in the regular season?

c. Did you know that the 49ers actually rushed for more yards as a team in the regular season than the Titans?

Season ending defensive stats for Chiefs:

PTS YDS PASS YDS RUSH YDs

19.2 349.6 221.4 128.2
(7th) (17th) (8th) (26th)

26.3 405.5 273.4 132.1
(24) (31) (31) (27)

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I picked SF to win it all halfway through the season.

Can't change that now!

Side note:  I think it will be a good, fun game, no matter who wins.

I picked KC to win it all before the season started. I had KC over the Saints but that was before season. I am still holding off on a prediction here but I think Mahomes is the best in the business.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I picked KC to win it all before the season started. I had KC over the Saints but that was before season. I am still holding off on a prediction here but I think Mahomes is the best in the business.

I believe right now he is the best QB in the league.

However, I dont think he's seen the likes of the SF Defense.  Should be a good, fun game.  SF has a complete team and I still see them winning it all, but I think it will be close.

2 minutes ago, Gramz said:

I believe right now he is the best QB in the league.

However, I dont think he's seen the likes of the SF Defense.  Should be a good, fun game.  SF has a complete team and I still see them winning it all, but I think it will be close.

This is a pick'em game basically. This could be a game like when Peyton took on a complete team in Seattle back in 2013. Broncos high powered offense just couldn't do anything! Seattle had the great defense, great running game, and at the time a QB that was a great game manager. Or it could be a shootout because Mahomes is just that great. I think whoever wins needs to score 30 points. If Mahomes puts up 30, KC should win.

1 hour ago, chad72 said:

That will be the 49ers, unless the Chiefs decide to superstitiously wear white since they get to choose as the home team.

IT IS THE 49ERS:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001098078/article/49ers-to-wear-white-jerseys-gold-pants-at-super-bowl

Yep SF all the way

I think since sb 38 only 2 other teams won sb wearing colored jersey 

Packers and Eagles

49ers seem to have difficulty with mobile QBs. They barely beat Kyler Murray and the Cards in 2 games, giving up 25 and 26 points. They lost to Seattle and Baltimore. They also lost to the Falcons who have a lot of offensive firepower. They also gave up 46 points in a loss to the Saints.

KC has a mobile QB and have lots of offensove weapons. Chiefs win.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This is a pick'em game basically. This could be a game like when Peyton took on a complete team in Seattle back in 2013. Broncos high powered offense just couldn't do anything! Seattle had the great defense, great running game, and at the time a QB that was a great game manager. Or it could be a shootout because Mahomes is just that great. I think whoever wins needs to score 30 points. If Mahomes puts up 30, KC should win.

I just want an entertaining SB, not a blowout like the Broncos suffered at the hands of the Seahawks. Something that keeps me engaged for 4 quarters, plus without a blackout, LOL. :) 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, chad72 said:

I just want an entertaining SB, not a blowout like the Broncos suffered at the hands of the Seahawks. Something that keeps me engaged for 4 quarters, plus without a blackout, LOL. :) 

Yeah me too. I really do not have a dog in this fight unless I end up betting on it. I would like to see KC win because of Andy Reid coaching 20+ years and always coming up short but if the 49ers win it won't bother me. 

13 hours ago, JimJaime said:

SF FOR THESE REASONS:

Prediction:

SF 45

KC 24

Good zone corners yes.  Good cover corners no.  49ers play zone and would get torched if they played zone

Just now, Moosejawcolt said:

Good zone corners yes.  Good cover corners no.  49ers play zone and would get torched if they played zone

Sorry meant to say if they played man they would get torched

Should be a good one and glad to see some different teams play in the SB for a change.

Not sure SF gets another performance from their RB like they did against the Packers.  They will need to pass the ball more against KC.

KC did a pretty good job of limiting Derrick Henry, then TENN had to pass the ball once they fell behind.

KC can score so quickly...you look up and they've put 21 points on the board in just a few minutes, it seems.

SF has a good defense, but struggles against mobile QBs.

I predict KC 31 - SF 18

On 1/20/2020 at 8:27 AM, 21isSuperman said:

I also feel bad for Justin Houston, leaving KC for a team he thought would be a Super Bowl contender, only to have the QB of that team retire and watch his former team make the Super Bowl.

he wanted to go back to KC but they said no, his cap hit was too much.  i doubt he ever thought the colts would be better than the chiefs 

5 hours ago, aaron11 said:

he wanted to go back to KC but they said no, his cap hit was too much.  i doubt he ever thought the colts would be better than the chiefs 

Why?  At the time of his signing, the Colts were considered a threat in the AFC with Super Bowl aspirations and an MVP candidate at QB.

18 hours ago, 21isSuperman said:

Why?  At the time of his signing, the Colts were considered a threat in the AFC with Super Bowl aspirations and an MVP candidate at QB.

that was really a guess on my part, but i do know he wanted to end his career in KC but they said no

the chiefs recent record is just better than ours it is what it is.