Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
WarGhost21

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

4 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Man, this was hard enough to watch the first time around......geesh

Reich and Ballard have watched this.  There should be no reason to not start Kelly in the final two games.  If they don't then it's egos and blind loyalty to blame.  And that's not good for the team.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Reich and Ballard have watched this.  There should be no reason to not start Kelly in the final two games.  If they don't then it's egos and blind loyalty to blame.  And that's not good for the team.

Egos and blind loyalty have nothing to do with Reich and Ballard starting Brissett starting over Kelly.

Brissett in their opinion gives the team the best chance to win game no matter if you agree or not.

Kelly is seen in every practice so I think the coaching staff are more qualified in making those calls over a * off fan base. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, coming on strong said:

usually teams that get stuck without a QB for ten years is that teams fault.   so many teams with qb needs passed up on good qbs in the draft .

Some of us were Colts fans before Peyton. Yes, even before the Mayflower.  But here was QB situation since 1984 (Indy)

Mike Pagel  (84-85)
Jack Trudeau (86-87, 89)
Chris Chandler (88)
Jeff George (90-93)
Jim Harbaugh (94-97)   best of all these years being 95, and 96. Sort of brutal, TBH.

Backups which got some starts for these guys were Mark Herrmann, Gary Hogeboom, Don Majkowski, Paul Justin.  from Indy's first season 1984 through 1997.

Therefore, 14 years, then came-

*Peyton Manning (98-2010)

Curtis Painter, Collins, Orlovsky  (2011)

*Andrew Luck (2012-16, 18)

Jacoby Brissett (2017, 2019)

2020 ??

2 hours ago, Superman said:

{snip}

But I thought he'd settle into a groove at some point, get comfortable and start making some plays, and that the offense would be more functional than it's been the last few games. The possibility also existed that he would come out and have a really strong season, then hit free agency, which would have been very costly for the Colts. 

Instead, he started out reasonably well, and is now on a downward spiral. I thought the team would feel like they have a chance with JB; the last month and a half it's feeling like the team is deflated.

This ^^^

And now, it's kind of ridiculous to have JB under contract with a $21.5m cap hit in 2020.

Still, less than a Franchise tag though.  But then, we might have had a QB nearly worth it to give one...

But I completely disagree with the idea that JB's contract will influence their decision about improving the QB position going into next season. To me, it's completely irrelevant. 

Agree. Irsay wants to win. doesn't matter draft slot or pay grade. get players that are making plays into the lineup and coach them into winners.

• Like 2

i dont trust the coaches necessarily 

same coaches that put hoyer in and swear by Jacoby 

30 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Man, this was hard enough to watch the first time around......geesh

Try this- JB completes a pass to Johnson (great back shoulder catch and fall), but Doyle was wide op in the seam in the middle of the field!

Doyle running in pic, JB loading up to MJ-

rDKike4.jpg

Guess who's legs at the top while MJ reaches back for the grab?

ozzhVcs.jpg

Imagine Jack getting the ball here...  :(

Next-

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Try this- JB completes a pass to Johnson (great back shoulder catch and fall), but Doyle was wide op in the seam in the middle of the field!

rDKike4.jpg

ozzhVcs.jpg

Next-

That Johnson catch was absolutely fantastic - I'm still not sure how he caught that. 

And yeah - when JB locks on to a target it seems like he has tunnel vision. 

T.Y. on a short dig. catch this, turn up and on with his jets then...

SbjNc96.jpg

But JB sails it over him and wide-

wXaBAVM.jpg

There's more (plus the one someone else has already posted).  I'm to down to scroll through the film for awhile.  Feel let down.  Not just JB.  Special teams has been horrid from missed FG's/PAT's to blocked kicks and punts.  Defense has regressed to the worst pass defense in the league these last 4 weeks.

Not only has the offense failed to improve, the ST's and D regressed down too. I would say the colts play the worst complimentary football in the NFL right now. That engine is misfiring on every cylinder and the Check Engine light is flashing.  :(

On 10/27/2019 at 11:23 PM, WarGhost21 said:

Going into this game, Brissett has performed amazingly well. He has played game manager, and also shown he can be a gunslinger (vs Houston). The only thing we had yet to see from Brissett was how he would respond to a last minute scenario with everything going against the team and the game on the line. Even though overall it was a sloppy performance for Indy, I saw what I wanted to see: Brissett has a clutch gene. I wasn't sure before, and that was the only piece missing from his resume. After this, though, I think Brissett could be just as good as any QB we might select in next years draft, if not better. So I guess my question for the forum is:

Have you seen enough from Brissett to be confident in him at the helm for the foreseeable future, or do we still need to look elsewhere? I think he might just have what it takes to bring this team to glory.

Not the answer at QB 

He has regressed as each game passes.  He should be getting better 

3 hours ago, Superman said:

To the bolded, I don't. I said when Luck retired that I thought JB was a bridge QB, and I still believe that. Having him under contract for another year allows us to get to the next guy without being in a rush to play a rookie who might not be ready on Day 1.

As for the value of the contract, I didn't have a problem with it at the time because I thought JB would be ... different. Not necessarily better, I felt like he's an average QB (I've been saying "slightly above average" but I'm ready to drop the modifier at this point), and we could go .500 with him, and he's .500 this season in games he's finished, with a near neutral point differential. But I thought he'd settle into a groove at some point, get comfortable and start making some plays, and that the offense would be more functional than it's been the last few games. The possibility also existed that he would come out and have a really strong season, then hit free agency, which would have been very costly for the Colts. 

Instead, he started out reasonably well, and is now on a downward spiral. I thought the team would feel like they have a chance with JB; the last month and a half it's feeling like the team is deflated.

And now, it's kind of ridiculous to have JB under contract with a $21.5m cap hit in 2020.

I understood the strategy at the time, I was an advocate for it before it happened. I didn't think they'd give him as much as they did, but I still agree with the strategy, because it protected them from potentially having to make an even bigger commitment going into 2020. 

But I completely disagree with the idea that JB's contract will influence their decision about improving the QB position going into next season. To me, it's completely irrelevant. 

It was a terrible decision then and its terrible now.  Money talks Supe.  I thought you were wrong then, and still think your take on this is dead dead wrong.

Money talks.  If JB plays next year, this contract is part of it.  They made a terrible decision.  I hope they have the wherewithal to admit their mistake and move on.  

The dude has killed the spirit of this org with his gross incompetence.  

That's all there is to this story IMHO.

16 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

rDKike4.jpg

ozzhVcs.jpg

Next-

There was nothing wrong with that decision. Doyle was open, but the safety was over the top and reacted to JB's eyes going to MJ. If you look at the replay from behind, you'll see that Doyle wouldn't have had a ton of room to run if JB had thrown to him, unless JB faked right then came back to Doyle across the middle. And that's a mastery of super advanced calculus, while we're trying to grasp Algebra 1. 

Also, I've been pointing out that sometimes the QB has to throw the receiver open. If it's third and 8 and the defense is in man, you have to make the kind of throw that JB made to MJ. It wasn't a perfect throw, and required a great effort by MJ, but he gave him a chance against tight coverage. That's a big boy throw, and it's what JB has done precious little of so far this season.

So I'm fine with the decision on that play. JB saw inside technique vs an outside release, and the safety was in the middle of the field, so he pulled the trigger. 

It was a lot of effort by MJ to catch, where the pass to Doyle was uncontested. MJ fell catching it and down by contact. Doyle had a chance to lower a shoulder and run over the safety, , attempt a juke, or see if defender slips, etc.

Either way it is a first down, but I think it shows a potential lack of awareness of matchups at the start of a play and taking advantage of them.

Missing an open, crossing T.Y on the other play is just poor execution

3 minutes ago, Nickster said:

It was a terrible decision then and its terrible now.  Money talks Supe.  I thought you were wrong then, and still think your take on this is dead dead wrong.

Money talks.  If JB plays next year, this contract is part of it.  They made a terrible decision.  I hope they have the wherewithal to admit their mistake and move on.  

The dude has killed the spirit of this org with his gross incompetence.  

That's all there is to this story IMHO.

This post is so sensational.

Let's play this out. JB plays out the last year of his contract, has the year he's having now, and is a free agent. What happens next? You think the Colts just let him walk? I don't. I think they sign him to a marginal starter, bridge contract, and draft someone in 2020 who can compete to be the starter. The only difference is the money.

And speaking of the money, you're operating with the benefit of hindsight, which is Fan 101 anymore. When they extended JB, the possibility existed that he would have a strong season, did it not? So now your franchise QB retired, and your bridge QB just played himself into a solid contract -- see Ryan Tannehill. You're upset about the "commitment" the Colts made for JB, wait until you see what the Titans do with Tannehill. The objective of the extension was to protect themselves from the potential of JB's market blowing up on them in 2019.

And the big picture, on which we disagree, is that the deal they did in no way prevents them from moving on from JB. I don't think they will get rid of him prior to 2020, but I don't think that's because of the contract. It's because JB is a pretty good backup, which is still important, especially for a team that doesn't have a franchise guy on the roster right now. 

So now, they're overpaying a pretty good backup. Not good, but it's not going to change their strategy, nor will it prevent them from finding the next guy. 

• Like 4

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

This post is so sensational.

Let's play this out. JB plays out the last year of his contract, has the year he's having now, and is a free agent. What happens next? You think the Colts just let him walk? I don't. I think they sign him to a marginal starter, bridge contract, and draft someone in 2020 who can compete to be the starter. The only difference is the money.

And speaking of the money, you're operating with the benefit of hindsight, which is Fan 101 anymore. When they extended JB, the possibility existed that he would have a strong season, did it not? So now your franchise QB retired, and your bridge QB just played himself into a solid contract -- see Ryan Tannehill. You're upset about the "commitment" the Colts made for JB, wait until you see what the Titans do with Tannehill. The objective of the extension was to protect themselves from the potential of JB's market blowing up on them in 2019.

And the big picture, on which we disagree, is that the deal they did in no way prevents them from moving on from JB. I don't think they will get rid of him prior to 2020, but I don't think that's because of the contract. It's because JB is a pretty good backup, which is still important, especially for a team that doesn't have a franchise guy on the roster right now. 

So now, they're overpaying a pretty good backup. Not good, but it's not going to change their strategy, nor will it prevent them from finding the next guy. 

I don't think it's sensational at all.  I argued with you early in the year talking about exactly what is coming to pass.  The guy is no good and by reading many of your posts you seem to agree.

Yes I absolutely would drop him in a heartbeat.  They gave the guy 28 million more to play one more season than he was signed up for for 2 million.  In essence we are paying the guy 28 mill next year year.  Yes we argued and semantically you say that its a two year but the FACT remains that the guy was due to earn 2 mill this year and is getting 28 million more for one more year of service.  My concern is that the money and presige of the GM, owner, and HC could factor in to keeping this guy who is killing the org around because they committed so much to him

You are wrong about the sensationalism about this IMO. 

I could look up the messages we exchanged.  It's not hindsight for me because I said it months ago.  I thought the contract could hamstring the org for the immediate future and that possibility is there.

There is no reason for JB to take another meaningful snap for this org.  He is not good enough.

BTW I hope you are right about the contract not preventing the obvious need to move on.  It usually doesn't work that way though.  The money almost always talks.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Nickster said:

I don't think it's sensational at all.  I argued with you early in the year talking about exactly what is coming to pass.  The guy is no good and by reading many of your posts you seem to agree.

Yes I absolutely would drop him in a heartbeat.  They gave the guy 28 million more to play one more season than he was signed up for for 2 million.  In essence we are paying the guy 28 mill next year year.  Yes we argued and semantically you say that its a two year but the FACT remains that the guy was due to earn 2 mill this year and is getting 28 million more for one more year of service.  My concern is that the money and presige of the GM, owner, and HC could factor in to keeping this guy who is killing the org around because they committed so much to him

You are wrong about the sensationalism about this IMO. 

I could look up the messages we exchanged.  It's not hindsight for me because I said it months ago.  I thought the contract could hamstring the org for the immediate future and that possibility is there.

There is no reason for JB to take another meaningful snap for this org.  He is not good enough.

BTW I hope you are right about the contract not preventing the obvious need to move on.  It usually doesn't work that way though.  The money almost always talks.

I know you didn't agree with the contract from the beginning. My point was and always has been that it was done to protect themselves from JB being a free agent, in the event he actually played well this year.

Where the hindsight judgment comes into play is you presenting this as if there was never a chance of JB having a good year and being able to command a big, multi year contract. Again, look at what Tannehill is doing. It's very possible that, if everyone had stayed healthy, JB could be looking at a much better season, statistically speaking, and now you have a decision to make.

That didn't happen, but the possibility -- which you refuse to acknowledge -- was part of the decision making process.

Now, if the braintrust is more concerned with their pride and ego than with making a real decision on JB and the QB position, then they've lost me. I think where you and I really disagree -- at least where it matters -- is that I don't think there's any way they don't make a significant move at QB this offseason. The most obvious decision is to draft someone high, and keep JB in the Alex Smith / Sam Bradford role in 2020. 

You keep harping on the money. Jim Irsay is the same guy that paid PM $28m to play zero snaps in 2011. Far different circumstance, but he has a history of not throwing good money after bad, even for the most legendary of Colts. They aren't going to ignore the position because they already paid JB.

If they choose to stand pat because they already overpaid a glorified backup, that's professional malpractice, and you and I will be singing the same tune. I think Frank Reich, Chris Ballard and Jim Irsay are above that, though. They know they have to be better at QB in 2020, and they know that improvement isn't coming from the players currently on the roster. They have to know.

Edit: It turns out you were right about JB. They would have been better off not extending him when they did, because he hasn't played well. But my point is that we did not know whether he would play well or not. Just wanted to give you credit for being right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I know you didn't agree with the contract from the beginning. My point was and always has been that it was done to protect themselves from JB being a free agent, in the event he actually played well this year.

Where the hindsight judgment comes into play is you presenting this as if there was never a chance of JB having a good year and being able to command a big, multi year contract. Again, look at what Tannehill is doing. It's very possible that, if everyone had stayed healthy, JB could be looking at a much better season, statistically speaking, and now you have a decision to make.

That didn't happen, but the possibility -- which you refuse to acknowledge -- was part of the decision making process.

Now, if the braintrust is more concerned with their pride and ego than with making a real decision on JB and the QB position, then they've lost me. I think where you and I really disagree -- at least where it matters -- is that I don't think there's any way they don't make a significant move at QB this offseason. The most obvious decision is to draft someone high, and keep JB in the Alex Smith / Sam Bradford role in 2020. 

You keep harping on the money. Jim Irsay is the same guy that paid PM $28m to play zero snaps in 2011. Far different circumstance, but he has a history of not throwing good money after bad, even for the most legendary of Colts. They aren't going to ignore the position because they already paid JB.

If they choose to stand pat because they already overpaid a glorified backup, that's professional malpractice, and you and I will be singing the same tune. I think Frank Reich, Chris Ballard and Jim Irsay are above that, though. They know they have to be better at QB in 2020, and they know that improvement isn't coming from the players currently on the roster. They have to know.

I didn't think the guy was going to be any good, but I wasn't 100% sure.  

What I did think about he money was that it was unnecessary and didn't make any sense.  If they really believed, they could have signed him for 3 for the same price most likely.

What I didn't like about the money was the possibility of it over writing the writing on the wall.  You think that is not going to happen and I hope you are right.

30 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

It was a lot of effort by MJ to catch, where the pass to Doyle was uncontested. MJ fell catching it and down by contact. Doyle had a chance to lower a shoulder and run over the safety, , attempt a juke, or see if defender slips, etc.

Either way it is a first down, but I think it shows a potential lack of awareness of matchups at the start of a play and taking advantage of them.

Two things. First, I think people saw a screenshot last night and ran with it, but that screenshot isn't a good representation of what happened on the play.

Second, I've been asking JB to make the kind of throw that he made on that play, all season. You have to throw guys open in this league, and he did. I'm giving him credit for that.

All told, I'm just saying that a) JB actually threw a receiver open, which I've been asking for, and b) if not for the throw to MJ, Doyle wasn't as open as the screenshot suggests.

I didn't know where to post this, but it's an interesting stat and a good explanation as to why the Colts run so much even with deficits in the second halves of games:

Jacoby is so bad in the second halves of games that running the ball is better option than throwing it... let that one sink in. 

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

Two things. First, I think people saw a screenshot last night and ran with it, but that screenshot isn't a good representation of what happened on the play.

Second, I've been asking JB to make the kind of throw that he made on that play, all season. You have to throw guys open in this league, and he did. I'm giving him credit for that.

All told, I'm just saying that a) JB actually threw a receiver open, which I've been asking for, and b) if not for the throw to MJ, Doyle wasn't as open as the screenshot suggests.

Clueless read on that play.  He turned his hat to the left but made up his mind presnap to throw to MJ.  He turned his hat and couldn't see that no one went with JD when he released.  

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

Here's what happens on the play:

They put Wilkins in motion to the left right before the snap and he takes TWO defenders with him, one of whom is the guy that's supposed to cover Doyle. Why do you run this misdirection if you are not going to throw the quick one to Doyle when the motion that you put into effect accomplishes exactly what it's supposed to accomplish, if not even better than that? 

I agree that we've been asking from Brissett to make some aggressive throws and this one was somewhat aggressive, although inaccurate, but isn't it more important for him to actually diagnose what's happening on the play and know why he doing the variety of motions and adjust in play to those in accordance with what the defense is doing?  This is an incredibly easy throw to Doyle and very hard throw to MJ(especially for Brissett who's had trouble throwing that exact route and had trouble throwing an accurate pass in this situation too). To me it's more important to see him make good decisions than to make one aggressive throw in a situation that didn't require it. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Superman said:

What about the miss throw to Pascal for a 1st down to start the game. Missed a 1st down to Ty and missed throw to wilkins. He is completely missing throws consistantly. He throws someone open rarely. The only person who impressed me on that play was Johnson not Jacoby. We dont have the most talented wrs but they sre better than jb makes them look.

9 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

What about the miss throw to Pascal for a 1st down to start the game. Missed a 1st down to Ty and missed throw to wilkins. He is completely missing throws consistantly. He throws someone open rarely. The only person who impressed me on that play was Johnson not Jacoby. We dont have the most talented wrs but they sre better than jb makes them look.

Amen I said amen.

34 minutes ago, stitches said:

I didn't know where to post this, but it's an interesting stat and a good explanation as to why the Colts run so much even with deficits in the second halves of games:

Jacoby is so bad in the second halves of games that running the ball is better option than throwing it... let that one sink in. 

Oh yeah, in almost every successful 4th quarter drive, they ran it practically every down.  

54 minutes ago, bhougland said:

I will leave this here:

Optimized-Screenshot_20191217-152239.png

Video is your friend.  On this play, you have just pump faked to T.Y. in the flat and look to see-

VMaqXF8.jpg

Which one do you throw to. Got to pick now, you're about to get levelled-

9AmeQVG.jpg

JB chose the single coverage guy and as he released, the 2 defenders on the outside receiver stopped. However, Doyle was interfered with, as the official getting ready to throw it will attest.

0NvGP6d.jpg

Garbage time TD anyway...

1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I agree wholeheartedly, I just think the one play everyone is using is a bad example.

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Here's what happens on the play:

They put Wilkins in motion to the left right before the snap and he takes TWO defenders with him, one of whom is the guy that's supposed to cover Doyle. Why do you run this misdirection if you are not going to throw the quick one to Doyle when the motion that you put into effect accomplishes exactly what it's supposed to accomplish, if not even better than that? 

I agree that we've been asking from Brissett to make some aggressive throws and this one was somewhat aggressive, although inaccurate, but isn't it more important for him to actually diagnose what's happening on the play and know why he doing the variety of motions and adjust in play to those in accordance with what the defense is doing?  This is an incredibly easy throw to Doyle and very hard throw to MJ(especially for Brissett who's had trouble throwing that exact route and had trouble throwing an accurate pass in this situation too). To me it's more important to see him make good decisions than to make one aggressive throw in a situation that didn't require it. 

I said earlier, this is advanced calculus, and we're still working on Algebra 1. 

But let's talk about it.

1) If he doesn't look to the right, the safety is over the top of Doyle. He's open, but he's not running unimpeded up the field, and there's a chance the safety breaks and contests the pass. 

2) If he looks right and then comes back to Doyle, it's a huge play. That's more than we can reasonably expect at this point.

3) I don't know that the motion was meant to leave Doyle uncovered, it was meant to identify the coverage, and the Saints blew the coverage on Doyle. I think that was a mistake, and it's hard to expect JB to have anticipated that they would get their wires crossed in that way at the snap.

4) He did make a good read on this play. It wasn't necessarily the best read, but still a good one. He saw and diagnosed the coverage, and threw the outside fade on time. Not the best placed ball (I don't think it was as off target as you're saying, but still wasn't entirely accurate), but that's a throw that we need to see against man coverage. But I've never meant to defend the throw as the best possible throw he could have made.

5) A high level QB probably sees that Doyle has the seam if he can move the safety, and maybe moves the safety and then comes back to Doyle over the middle. I'm still asking JB to solve for X, not put a man on the moon. Just trying to give him some credit for throwing a guy open.

• Like 1

I must say, in my first time revisiting this thread, I have changed my mind on Brissett. However, that does not meant that I want him gone immediately. This team still has many holes, holes which we were trying to fill with even Luck. What we need to do is go fill these holes, getting weapons on offense for a new signal caller and young defensive lineman that can pressure the QB. Then, and only then, I say we go get that guy. I honestly hope that we don't pick a QB in this draft. I would much rather use these picks to fill other big holes rather than reaching on a QB, and then go get our guy in 2021, with names like Trevor Lawrence, Justin Fields, and anybody else who doesn't declare this year. That is how the great teams come to be most of the time: The team is built, and then the QB is brought in with an amazing supporting cast around him.

On 12/9/2019 at 10:29 AM, Chloe6124 said:

It’s only a two year deal. It expires after next  season.

Great to know....Thanks Chloe.....I feel a little better knowing its only a 2 year.    

23 hours ago, Superman said:

I said earlier, this is advanced calculus, and we're still working on Algebra 1. 

But let's talk about it.

1) If he doesn't look to the right, the safety is over the top of Doyle. He's open, but he's not running unimpeded up the field, and there's a chance the safety breaks and contests the pass. 

2) If he looks right and then comes back to Doyle, it's a huge play. That's more than we can reasonably expect at this point.

I am not even talking about us getting a long gain here - just enough to get the 1st down on a much easier play than what MJ had to do to catch that ball. 

3) I don't know that the motion was meant to leave Doyle uncovered, it was meant to identify the coverage, and the Saints blew the coverage on Doyle. I think that was a mistake, and it's hard to expect JB to have anticipated that they would get their wires crossed in that way at the snap.

It's probably meant to accomplish multiple things and those are just the primary ones and it accomplished both + more. 

4) He did make a good read on this play. It wasn't necessarily the best read, but still a good one. He saw and diagnosed the coverage, and threw the outside fade on time. Not the best placed ball (I don't think it was as off target as you're saying, but still wasn't entirely accurate), but that's a throw that we need to see against man coverage. But I've never meant to defend the throw as the best possible throw he could have made.

The thing I liked about this one is that he didn't hesitate. He might not have made the optimal read, but at least he knew the receiver is man to man and he has to make that throw on third and long. 

5) A high level QB probably sees that Doyle has the seam if he can move the safety, and maybe moves the safety and then comes back to Doyle over the middle. I'm still asking JB to solve for X, not put a man on the moon. Just trying to give him some credit for throwing a guy open.

Agree. 

10 minutes ago, stitches said:

The thing I liked about this one is that he didn't hesitate. He might not have made the optimal read, but at least he knew the receiver is man to man and he has to make that throw on third and long. 

He didn't hesitate and didn't make the ultimate read because he never intended on throwing the ball to anyone else. He locked on the receiver from the snap and threw to the only place that was safe.

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

Four yrs in the league, about two yrs actual playing, sad that he(JB) hasn't improved. Draft a QB in the 2020 NFL draft.

Kinda feel that's inaccurate to say "he hasn't improved."  I mean the man went from 3-12 to 6-8.  It's not what we wanted, but it's disingenuous to pretend that that doesn't constitute improvement

Especially when we can't even pretend in jest that the rest of the roster has met expectations either.

I'm not really surprised at the outcome.  This is a young team, and a very physical team.  I'm actually impressed that they had a shot before the mix of injuries and inconsistency did them in. 

The ridiculous win streak Luck had them on last year is kind of hiding a lot of very steady progress Reich has been making on this roster over the last 2 years and making it look like regression when that isn't the case.  If there's any regression, it's regression to the mean, but team fundamentals have actually significantly improved.

Just not enough to beat New Orleans in the Superdome when the lights are brightest  

I do think this team is generally trending in the right direction.  We had a chance this year before our lack of experienced depth pieces got  exposed by a mix of ordinary attrition and bad luck.

This is a team that is learning, but a team that absolutely CAN go far in the next few years.  Whether or not we dispose of Brissett.  They've shown the potential.  We've seen that they can do this. Just gotta put it all together over a full 16 games.

Give this coach and GM time and we'll get there.

I keep trying to remind myself that Brissett was a backup that was put in a situation to have to fill Andrew Lucks shoes for an entire season and going forward, not just for another injury. I don't mean that as an excuse for how hes playing, but sometimes I find myself getting super upset at him for not being able to take the leap and be a true starter. When in reality I'm upset at the fact that there are people willing to talk themselves into us crowing him as the replacement instead of a bridge. 

• Like 1

There is a lot of media speculating once this season is over its going to come out that Jacoby might need surgery on his knee or it’s hurt much worse then it’s been lead to believe.  Going to be interesting if that comes out. There really is no explanation why his accuracy dropped 6% after that Steelers game.

7 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

There is a lot of media speculating once this season is over its going to come out that Jacoby might need surgery on his knee or it’s hurt much worse then it’s been lead to believe.  Going to be interesting if that comes out. There really is no explanation why his accuracy dropped 6% after that Steelers game.

Yeah, I’ve been saying this since the Saints game. At this point I’m expecting them to come out and say it’s been effecting him more than they’ve let on.

Won’t really change my opinion on him one way or that other though.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

He clearly hasn't been 100% since his injury. I am whispering this toward you because if we say it loud the JB haters will say we are using it as an excuse lmao . There are a lot of people here that have no patience at all with him and want him gone after only being in Reich's system for 1 year. There is even a thread that wants Reich gone after 2 years of coaching and is preaching for Marvin Lewis. That is just too funny. I do think we need to draft a QB though just simply because JB is our best QB on the roster right now. Maybe the guy we draft will be better so I am open minded.

51 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He clearly hasn't been 100% since his injury. I am whispering this toward you because if we say it loud the JB haters will say we are using it as an excuse lmao . There are a lot of people here that have no patience at all with him and want him gone after only being in Reich's system for 1 year. There is even a thread that wants Reich gone after 2 years of coaching and is preaching for Marvin Lewis. That is just too funny. I do think we need to draft a QB though just simply because JB is our best QB on the roster right now. Maybe the guy we draft will be better so I am open minded.

I am with you. I think we do need to draft the future. But I am certainly not giving up on next season if Jacoby is the starter. Having played a entire season under Reich I am sure he will have a list in the off season on where he needs work and will put it in the work. It’s a lot different when your a backup. I think it could be interesting to see what he does in the off season and what upgrades weopons we get how things might be different. Sirriani kind of mentioned mechanics being a issue today when having that knee injury. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kenzicocapontas said:

I keep trying to remind myself that Brissett was a backup that was put in a situation to have to fill Andrew Lucks shoes for an entire season and going forward, not just for another injury. I don't mean that as an excuse for how hes playing, but sometimes I find myself getting super upset at him for not being able to take the leap and be a true starter. When in reality I'm upset at the fact that there are people willing to talk themselves into us crowing him as the replacement instead of a bridge. 

Yup. I did my best to keep my hopes low lol. I have to admit I started buying in after the first Houston game. I thought things were clicking, even though Houston has a horrible pass D. It didn't take long though to crash back down to earth. I've never been upset though about him not living up to Luck. I do get upset when he misses wide open guys.... 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Imgrandojji said:

Kinda feel that's inaccurate to say "he hasn't improved."  I mean the man went from 3-12 to 6-8.  It's not what we wanted, but it's disingenuous to pretend that that doesn't constitute improvement

Especially when we can't even pretend in jest that the rest of the roster has met expectations either.

I'm not really surprised at the outcome.  This is a young team, and a very physical team.  I'm actually impressed that they had a shot before the mix of injuries and inconsistency did them in. 

The ridiculous win streak Luck had them on last year is kind of hiding a lot of very steady progress Reich has been making on this roster over the last 2 years and making it look like regression when that isn't the case.  If there's any regression, it's regression to the mean, but team fundamentals have actually significantly improved.

Just not enough to beat New Orleans in the Superdome when the lights are brightest  

I do think this team is generally trending in the right direction.  We had a chance this year before our lack of experienced depth pieces got  exposed by a mix of ordinary attrition and bad luck.

This is a team that is learning, but a team that absolutely CAN go far in the next few years.  Whether or not we dispose of Brissett.  They've shown the potential.  We've seen that they can do this. Just gotta put it all together over a full 16 games.

Give this coach and GM time and we'll get there.

You have to admit that while the roster isn't perfect, it's much much better than 2017. The OL is light years better at the very least.