Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
WarGhost21

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

15 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Please tell me what were Brees’s issues? 

Mostly the speed of the game.   That can be improved upon.   JB's faults cannot.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So the it took him 58 starts to get the speed of the game?!?

How many starts will it take for JB, to make a 2nd read?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If their isn’t a guy they think is a franchise guy available in the draft I am perfectly fine starting Jacoby until that guy comes along. He wasn’t dealt a great hand this season and some very weird things have happened this year. I am ok seeing if healthy WR next year with some upgrades improves anything. Wentz is supposed to be the guy in Phili and he is having the same issues as Jacoby and they have had the same injury issues. I suggest everyone go read the new colts.com article and the quotes from Marcus Johnson.

22 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

I said it earlier in the week, Eli for Brissett and draft a young QB to learn under Eli.

Omg.  Eli blows chunks.  So u want to get rid of Brissett for a washed qb who had lost more games than he has won over his career??  Please....please dont bring up his 2 Superbowls.

JB is a backup QB at best.  Glad we have him after Andrew quit playing, but he is not a long term solution.  See what Kelly can do in one of the remaining games and see what he can do in real game action.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MPStack said:

How many starts will it take for JB, to make a 2nd read?

I believe he will improve next year again. Look at his overall improvement. 

2017- Team Record 4-12

2019-Team Record probably 8-8 (that is a 4 game improvement)

2017- 3,098 passing Yards, 13 TD, 7INT, Passer Rating of 82.7, Completion % 58.8

2019- 2,496 passing yards 

(Need to average 201 yards over last 3 games to get 3,100 yards)

18 TD, 6 INT, Passer Rating of 93.2, Completion % 63.2

All his stats show improvement. Imagine if he wasn’t playing this year on a bum knee with all his wideouts out. 

All I’m saying is look around the league. There are guys it takes several years to get going. 

Obviously people who matter see something in him. Mentored by Parcells, drafted by Belicheck, traded for by Ballard and backed by Reich. 

• Confused 1

I posted this in another thread about JB. Look at his overall improvement. 

2017- Team Record 4-12

2017- 3,098 passing Yards, 13 TD, 7INT, Passer Rating of 82.7, Completion % 58.8

All his stats show improvement. Imagine if he wasn’t playing this year on a bum knee with all his wideouts out. 

All I’m saying is look around the league. There are guys it takes several years to get going.  Go and look at Drew Brees first 5 seasons. It took the write system and the right situation. 

Obviously people who matter see something in him. Mentored by Parcells, drafted by Belicheck, traded for by Ballard and backed by Reich. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

You're basing this off of stats and not the eye test. JB is average af and will remain that way. He hasn't changed at all since college. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I posted this in another thread about JB. Look at his overall improvement. 

2017- Team Record 4-12

All I’m saying is look around the league. There are guys it takes several years to get going.  Go and look at Drew Brees first 5 seasons. It took the write system and the right situation. 

These small jump can easily be explained by huge improvements to the OL and running game. He still has a pretty bad QBR this year at around 50. And he's still struggling with everything he struggled with in college. 

Belichick has drafted 10 QBs since Brady, and they're not all special... Pickings were slim when the trade was made, and he was 3rd string on the Pats... Backed by Reich? Reich inherited him, and of course he's going to back him under the circumstance. 

As far as Brees is concerned, he took over a horrible team (SDC) that was lead by Flutie and Leaf the previous 2 years, and then took over a horrible team (NOS) led by Brooks.... Not a great comparison. SDC din't have a lot except LT, and finally got Gates a few years later. And his supporting cast in NO was up and down early too. Not just early.

I am torn.

There quite a few things i really like about JB.  I also think he will improve, and i think the coaches can help.  You can also look at the WR state, and the focus on running the ball as possible hinderances to his development.

If i were to point out the things i question, i think completion % (accuracy) , and touch on the ball would be at the top.  But then i see him sling one in that most QBs couldnt make.  He’s big and strong, moves well and smartly.  He’s quick and fast enough.

I also wonder how much our scheme makes him look average.  Frank kinda gameplans for 150yd passing and 1 or 2 passing TDs, and rely on the run.  Kinda gard to turn on the switch with 2 minutes left and expect the guy to light it up with backup WRs.

Lets face it, we all want the next Manning, or even Luck for that matter.  But in fact, Ballard could take QB in the 1st round  for the rest of our lives, and my money says most of us will NEVER see a QB of that caliber in our lifetimes.  It just isnt in the odds.

I have decided to assume Ballard knows better than us and will do well.
 I also remember him saying after the Luck retirement he will never let himself get in that position again.  Whether he sees JB as the future or not, i can see another QB to compete thru the draft or FA.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Can JB be the future QB?  He has only started 27 games and has shown improvements in his overall stats. Please look up Drew Brees stats in San Diego. Sometimes it does just take time for players to really hit there strides. The argument that he is who is is lazy. 

let me know your thoughts. 

Brees sat his rookie year.. played in 1 game.

He was pretty decent in second year and bad in his 3rd year.

From then on , he was very good to outstanding .

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BreeDr00.htm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

I believe he will improve next year again. Look at his overall improvement. 

2017- Team Record 4-12

All I’m saying is look around the league. There are guys it takes several years to get going. 

These small jump can easily be explained by huge improvements to the OL and running game. He still has a pretty bad QBR this year at around 50. And he's still struggling with everything he struggled with in college. 

Belichick has drafted 10 QBs since Brady, and they're not all special... Pickings were slim when the trade was made, and he was 3rd string on the Pats... Backed by Reich? Reich inherited him, and of course he's going to back him under the circumstance. He knew Parcells from the neighborhood since he was 15... 

• Thanks 1

I am listening to a podcast with George Bremer. He thinks we are going to see much more aggressive Jacoby like we saw last game. He thinks we are seeing a change in the offense. I am all for that. Sunday’s game was the most exciting game all year. Maybe they will just open it up and air it out a lot more since there is nothing to lose. Might as well see what you got.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I am listening to a podcast with George Bremer. He thinks we are going to see much more aggressive Jacoby like we saw last game. He thinks we are seeing a change in the offense. I am all for that. Sunday’s game was the most exciting game all year. Maybe they will just open it up and air it out a lot more since there is nothing to lose. Might as well see what you got.

If they do so, which I hope they do, we'll at the very least have a much more honest/clear evaluation of JB by the end of the season.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

Belichick has drafted 10 QBs since Brady, and they're not all special... Pickings were slim when the trade was made, and he was 3rd string on the Pats... Backed by Reich? Reich inherited him, and of course he's going to back him under the circumstance. He knew Parcells from the neighborhood since he was 15... 

See if Belichick will trade him back to New England lol.

7 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

See if Belichick will trade him back to New England lol.

LOL, don't see that happening. I think BB is happy with Stidham. I could see him drafting another QB in the next couple years if the right one drops. If a guy for instance like Love dropped to late, it would be a classic hoodie move.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

LOL, don't see that happening. I think BB is happy with Stidham. I could see him drafting another QB in the next couple years if the right one drops. If a guy for instance like Love dropped to late, it would be a classic hoodie move.

That’s one thing about this next draft that I’m really intrigued by. To see if the Pats take a QB...especially if it’s a guy I like, like Love, or even a guy like Gordon. Although I wonder what kind of guy they’d be eyeing at QB.

20 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

That’s one thing about this next draft that I’m really intrigued by. To see if the Pats take a QB...especially if it’s a guy I like, like Love, or even a guy like Gordon. Although I wonder what kind of guy they’d be eyeing at QB.

Honestly I think they ride with Stidham right now, or at least wait till 3rd or later to take a QB if they do. I don't think Brady is retiring, and they need WR, TE, and OL. 

He has a strong arm but he has terrible field vision. I don't see him ever being a starting quarterback ever again

• Like 1

If the Colts are smart, they need to develop a QB pronto.  Ballard has already started the scouting part for a new QB.  So, in actuality he is not sold on JB being the starter for 2020...

• Like 1

The one thing consistent about Jacoby from 2017 to 2019 is giving up fourth quarter leads.  He can’t lead the offense to the finish line.  If he can’t do that he can’t be the franchise QB.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, coltsfeva said:

There was a play in the 3rd quarter, after the Bucs made it 35-28. It was a pass to Pascal on 1st and 10 and it was broken up.

However, the CB guarding Marcus Johnson fell down and Johnson had nothing

but green in front of him. Jacoby didn’t see him, which happens but it was indicative of Jacoby “locking in” to his primary receiver. 
    That propensity to “lock in” and his poor play when the game is on the line, makes me think he’s NOT what the Colts need long-term.
  He does make some brilliant plays here and there and players can develop but those two deficiencies are hard to overcome.

He's just a very backup and that is all he is a backup. 

6 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

If the Colts are smart, they need to develop a QB pronto.  Ballard has already started the scouting part for a new QB.  So, in actuality he is not sold on JB being the starter for 2020...

I think they are smart,finding thee guy is never easy .Not like other teams in the league are not  in the same predicament.We have been in quarterback heaven the last 20 years.

• Like 1

What if Kelly can be anywhere near as good as his uncle Jim?

Not saying he is now or if he will ever be, and maybe those of us who want to see him get his chance, are just too optimistic.        

But stranger things have happened. I’m just saying I liked what I did see in preseason.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So the it took him 58 starts to get the speed of the game?!?

You could see, well before 58 games, that Brees was a very good QB.   You don't see that with Brissett.  Quite the opposite. 

10 hours ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

thats why we should move on asap.  imagine if hes not the answer it will set us back even further 

several Qbs in this draft too

5 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Why do people put so much faith in Kelly

The back up QB is always the most popular guy when the passing game is mediocre. In this case, it's the 3rd string QB because we already saw Hoyer.... As long as there is mystery or mystic, some folks will always have interest in the unknown. Pretty natural.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, runthepost said:

Why do people put so much faith in Kelly

it doesnt sound like faith to me, people just want to see what he can do in the last few meaningless games.  personally i was never sold on Jacoby, hes been meh as expected. it would be nice to see some competition 

I just hope the decision process doesn’t drag out longer than it should.  Look how much the Titans have improved since finally cutting bait with Mariota.  And it’s not like Tannehill is a superstar — but he’s clearly faring better than MM did.

My fear is that we’re going to endure a long period of mediocrity just waiting for Jacoby to fulfill the potential some see in him....and that it’ll never materialize.

Jacoby isn’t awful.  But I have a hard time envisioning him leading any team to the SB.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Myles said:

You could see, well before 58 games, that Brees was a very good QB.   You don't see that with Brissett.  Quite the opposite. 

So my only question about that. If you could see that, why did San Diego let him? I know about the shoulder, but if you could see a very good qb, you hang onto him. 

7 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So my only question about that. If you could see that, why did San Diego let him? I know about the shoulder, but if you could see a very good qb, you hang onto him. 

Mostly the shoulder injury and having Rivers on the bench.  There was also feuding going on between the head coach and GM.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Brees was franchised by SD in 2005. They also offered him a 5 year 50M contract to stay.

Miami and NO both wanted him in 2006 and put in bids. NO offered him 6 year and 60M with better guarantees than SD or Miami. Coming off the labrum and rotator injury, I'd say that's a pretty good market.

• Like 1

Here's the post (that we've all seen) that John posted with the 2016 Lindy draft guide of JB that could've been written yesterday. 

The problem is, those same issues with JB exist today.

He still can't look off a safety / stares down receivers

How are his deep throws (timing) that horrendous with his arm? 

Consistently throws behind receivers 

Will only throw to wide open receivers 

Incredibly indecisive - then throws 200 mph trying to fit late throw into an impossible window

I didn't think this was humanly possible, but he's slower than Peyton Manning running the ball

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

If Luck were to return or if they just wanted to trade Brissett, I can't see a team that would trade for him as a starter, or future starter. Maybe Miami or San Diego as a bridge.  You might find a team needing a backup, but you would probably have to eat some of his salary.

1 minute ago, #12. said:

If Luck were to return or if they just wanted to trade Brissett, I can't see a team that would trade for him as a starter, or future starter. Maybe Miami or San Diego as a bridge.  You might find a team needing a backup, but you would probably have to eat some of his salary.

the dolphins already have their bridge, i doubt they would trade for a QB like JB when they are ranked dead last in rushing