Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

WarGhost21

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we can say what kind of QB Brissett is at this point.  He's a good game manager who could excel on a team with a good supporting cast (think Alex Smith), but not good enough to win you games on his own.  His reads on deep throws are horrible; he's been throwing into double and triple coverage all year when he goes deep.  He is way too quick to look for the check down.  And he doesn't put good touch on the ball to throw receivers open.  I like him as a very good backup, but not as the franchise QB moving forward.

Sigh I don’t like writing this but Jacoby is proving to be a high end back up.  He looks really good early but once teams get tape on you and especially if they see you again they expose your weaknesses.  

I am in the do what it takes to get a QB high in the draft camp.  I know there are QBs to be found in free agency but I doubt they would be that much of an upgrade over Brissett.  Teams don’t let good QBs get away very often and even then it’s normally a crazy situation like the Colts with Manning. 

I think I'm officially done hoping JB will get any better. Those close ups toward the end of the game made me sad as hell. Love him as a person, but he's still struggling with the basics and I don't see things changing.

If he believes he's good enough to be a starter, he need to find a team with a different system (similar to Chud) that makes it easier on the QB. 

25 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Can't wait to hear the pro-JB crowd come in here and start making excuses for why he isn't good at football. 

I actually thought he was doing well in the first half. He was hitting his receivers in the soft areas of the zone, something he didn't do last week. He was moving the ball and making some good throws on 3d down, but the second half was just horrendous - troubles with accuracy, troubles with his touch(rather - lack of touch), trouble processing blitzes(the protection didn't help), some horrendous decisionmaking(both INTs)... it's just all came crashing down... Usually when I say he lacks anticipation I mean it when he doesn't make throws that he needs to make and throw receivers open. The second INT is a clear example of lack of anticipation and timing in the reverse sense - he couldn't see both safeties zeroing in on the deep route and he threw it when he shouldn't have. 

Oh well... I don't know what to say anymore. IMO the case for drafting a QB becomes stronger every game. Jacoby is failing in variety of ways right now. We wanted to see him with more responsibility in our offense and the result wasn't great past the scripted plays in the first half. 

23 hours ago, coltsva said:

Let's assume Colts brass are convinced Brissett is not the long term answer, and Luck stays retired. What do you do? 

1. Draft a QB, let him sit a year while Brissett starts

2. Draft a QB, start him

3. Let Brissett and Kelly compete for the starting job

4. Sign a veteran. Play him a year or two, while grooming a drafted QB or Kelly

Who from this list would you take for a year or two?

2020 UFA QB's:

Brady - does he re-sign or retire?

Brees, Bridgewater - what do the Saints do? Keep the future or hold onto the past? This will be really interesting.

Rivers - Are they drafting a QB, re-signing PR, or both?

Manning - sign somewhere else or retire?

Winston - re-sign?

Mariota - will hit FA

Tannehill - re-sign with Titans, unless he implodes the last 5 weeks.

Prescott - re-sign with Cowboys, or franchise tag?

Actually I would start Kelly next week and play him for the last 4 games to find out what you have. Then you can decide whether or not to move up in the draft. The kid is a baller and he totally outplayed Dak in college. You really don't have anything to lose at this point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGuZ6LdLgnk

27 minutes ago, SouthernIndianaNDFan said:

Can't wait to hear the pro-JB crowd come in here and start making excuses for why he isn't good at football. 

I have been a critic of JB all year but this I felt was one of his better games. Seems to have all the tools physically but..... Like the guy a lot but can we gamble for another year or two to see if he can improve in some critical areas? Glad I don't have to make that decision. D played great today as did the OL. Think it was Castonzo who whiffed the block on the blocked FG for the TD.

1 minute ago, stitches said:

I actually thought he was doing well in the first half. He was hitting his receivers in the soft areas of the zone, something he didn't do last week. He was moving the ball and making some good throws on 3d down, but the second half was just horrendous - troubles with accuracy, troubles with his touch(rather - lack of touch), trouble processing blitzes(the protection didn't help), some horrendous decisionmaking(both INTs)... it's just all came crashing down... Usually when I say he lacks anticipation I mean it when he doesn't make throws that he needs to make and throw receivers open. The second INT is a clear example of lack of anticipation and timing in the reverse sense - he couldn't see both safeties zeroing in on the deep route and he threw it when he shouldn't have. 

Oh well... I don't know what to say anymore. IMO the case for drafting a QB becomes stronger every game. Jacoby is failing in variety of ways right now. We wanted to see him with more responsibility in our offense and the result wasn't great past the scripted plays in the first half. 

Exactly, things are great when he can just look and whip it over to the primary read. It's the plays like the 2nd pick that just can't be made. It started as a single high safety with 8 in the box, and he still managed to throw into triple coverage. 

Just now, hoosierhawk said:

I have been a critic of JB all year but this I felt was one of his better games. Seems to have all the tools physically but..... Like the guy a lot but can we gamble for another year or two to see if he can improve in some critical areas? Glad I don't have to make that decision. D played great today as did the OL. Think it was Castonzo who whiffed the block on the blocked FG for the TD.

One of his better halfs maybe, that 2nd half was horrible.

I’ve been preaching patience with JB all season long. So what I’m about to say, I say with a bad taste in my mouth but I think it needs to be said.

I think at this point, you shut him down for the rest of the season. Ever since he got banged up, he’s played scared, which has magnified his normal issues of staring down people. I think it’s time that you see what you have in Chad Kelly against number 1S playing full speed. 

I am not a Chad Kelly fan, but I seriously think they’d want a good look at him because they’re gonna have to make some move in the QB department next season. 

Id be okay with drafting a QB if one is there that is an upgrade and letting JB, CK and the rookie battle it out for the starting spot in TC.

Why are fans so fickle?  Do we lose against Miami with Brissett?  If Hoyer throws for 3TD’s against Pitt who’s to say JB wouldn’t have been able to win that game?  Do we forget 2 games for sure squarely on the shoulders of an inaccurate kicker?!

I understand the frustrations of being 1-4 in our last 5 but come on!  Reich is doing all he can with the offensive talent he has.  I’m sure he would like to have more to work with as well.  We are 6-6 and considering all of the turmoil this season I think Reichs done well.

On 10/28/2019 at 11:24 AM, Colts_Fan12 said:

the team is also winning because the AFC is extremely weak this year I'm not gonna sit here and sugarcoat it. teams people thought would be good are pretty bad and no one had stepped up to take their place either its basically just the Pats Ravens Chiefs and us. the Ravens imo arent that's great either tho and the chiefs without Pat are Terrible obviously we will be a top AFC team lol

Not sure what Colts team you are watching but we are not in the same category as the Pats, Chiefs and Ravens. The Colts just don’t care and they are playing like it. They actually are reminding me of the Redskins. I stated back in August that their season was over before it started and I stand by my statements.......they don’t deserve even a wildcard spot. But they don’t have to worry about it because they won’t be getting one. Maybe next year they won’t suck.......but I doubt it. :(

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

I’ve been preaching patience with JB all season long. So what I’m about to say, I say with a bad taste in my mouth but I think it needs to be said.

I think at this point, you shut him down for the rest of the season. Ever since he got banged up, he’s played scared, which has magnified his normal issues of staring down people. I think it’s time that you see what you have in Chad Kelly against number 1S playing full speed. 

I am not a Chad Kelly fan, but I seriously think they’d want a good look at him because they’re gonna have to make some move in the QB department next season. 

Id be okay with drafting a QB if one is there that is an upgrade and letting JB, CK and the rookie battle it out for the starting spot in TC.

To be fair he made enough passing plays to win this game. Today it was the INT that killed us and not getting TD when we got on the TN side of the field.

With all the injuries I won’t have a problem the last couple games of the season seeing if Kelly has anything where you could have him as a backup next season.

I think a combination of him being banged up, our best receivers gone, and now our running game starting to break down is exposing JB for what he is....a game manager...a good one...but in the end he can’t carry a team on his own. Occasionally flashes brilliance but I’d say a more inconsistent Dak Prescott is his ceiling. Not going to get us to a SB. I think you have to look at this years draft class and next and figure out with our ammo either use this year or save up for next. As quickly as many QBs are coming in and succeeding we have a young enough core that could contend for the next 5 years.

Archived