Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)


Recommended Posts

24 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe not having his top 3 receivers on the field has something to do with his trust of throwing to these 2nd tier receivers? (and Frank calling pass plays to these 2nd tier players)

When Brissett had his trusted receivers on the field he did throw to them. (the first game against the Texans)

Every receiver on the field for us was not even drafted and were brought in specifically to be back ups. 

It stands to reason when a QB don't have his best weapons on the field it would be a struggle for improvement. 

 

I'm sure the receiver injury bug has played a part, but not as big as some are claiming.   I've watched the games and seen the wide open players.   

Ebron and Doyle have not been utilized.   Are you saying Reich does not trust Ebron enough to let Brissett throw the ball to the endzone instead of settling for a FG attempt at the end of a half.   That play made it clear that Reich doesn't trust Brissett.   

 

The improvement I expected to see was in reading the field.  He hasn't progressed.   A better touch on his passes has not happened.   I feel strongly that he is what he is.   

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yep...he creates posts daily that discuss the QB position. Even the thread about wanting to draft a certain QB tie back to the idea of giving JB more time.

Okay So as I watch the Niners game I am noticing that Jimmy G is operating the game in a way thenReich and the Colts want JB to. I have the a huge take...   Jimmy G is no better than JB

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Just throw the ball to guys when they're open. 

 

 

 

 

This is exactly what we have seen in each game with Brissett.   He doesn't read the defense.   It seems like every blitz is a surprise to him.  He doesn't seem to understand that the defense blitzing  can be a QB's best friend.  To him it seems like a blitz means dump it off for no gain or throw it out of bounds.  

This is the main thing we have not seen improvement on.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Myles said:

I'm sure the receiver injury bug has played a part, but not as big as some are claiming.   I've watched the games and seen the wide open players.   

Ebron and Doyle have not been utilized.   Are you saying Reich does not trust Ebron enough to let Brissett throw the ball to the endzone instead of settling for a FG attempt at the end of a half.   That play made it clear that Reich doesn't trust Brissett.   

 

The improvement I expected to see was in reading the field.  He hasn't progressed.   A better touch on his passes has not happened.   I feel strongly that he is what he is.   

Oh, the difference between last week and two weeks ago.

Against the Jags Brissett made some great passes when needed. 

That 4th down TD pass after the scramble was a thing of beauty. Had that been any other QB in the league it would have been on every high light reel on every sports show.

See, when a win happens it's all positive. 

With a loss it's all doom and gloom.

Honestly I don't have a clue what to expect from this team week to week. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, CanuckColt said:

Brissett is neither "franchise" nor "elite"...and never will be.

He is just a good backup.

as I recall that is what ballard got him for, he is starting because luck quit his job, it is either him , hoyer or kelly that is what ballard has provided, other teams traded for qbs, ballard went with jb, 

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

as I recall that is what ballard got him for, he is starting because luck quit his job, it is either him , hoyer or kelly that is what ballard has provided, other teams traded for qbs, ballard went with jb, 

I don't fault Ballard for that either.  I'm sure he thought that Brissett would develop and improve.   Unfortunately Brissett plays the same now that he did when the season started.    I'm not sure anyone would have predicted him being last in the league on yards per pass completion among starters.    That shouldn't happen when you have a good O-line.  

 

 

image.png.5ec4288f7a021579b7b1b7f912fe1120.png

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Superman said:

 

The question is a diversion.

 

If you have low total passing yards and high YAC, the picture is pretty clear. The QB doesn't produce a lot of passing yards.

My question was, how much the offense benefits, or JB benefits, from YAC?

 

I was shown one fact, the percentage of YAC, which means nothing.  

 

We could be high on the YAC percentage stat by throwing for 100 yards a game, 55 coming from YAC.

 

And that stat would be almost irrelevant if its being driven by Frank calling 50 running plays per game, limiting turnovers and trying to dominate time of possession this season, for whatever reason.

 

Maybe realizing that the roster does not have any player that can take a short pass, break a tackle, and run 30 yards for a TD, or 15 yards to set up a FG?  One of our WRs? Hines? LOL.   Those are passing yards and passing TDs that are included in every NFL QBs stats, for those who benefit from it.  As are screen plays to the RB.

 

While not YAC, passing yards are influenced by plays like back shoulder throws down the sidelines, which are passing yards (and passing attempts) that rely heavily upon the receiver to know when to look for the throw, and can successfully win the contest with the DB.  Who on the team has shown they can make those catches?  How about diving fades in the corner of the endzone?  Even our "#1 receiver", TY, isn't particularly great at either of those plays and never has been. 

 

I think it makes more sense to judge JB when he has a serious array of weapons to work with, and a coach who also has confidence in those weapons.

 

 

 

 


 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Myles said:

I thought he might be good enough.   Mostly because I thought we would see improvement with him and see Reich open up the offense a bit.   None of that has happened.   

 

I'm still in 'see how he and Reich' address this.  I'm hoping it was a bad day at the office for either/both.  but if any progression doesn't resume...

 

20 hours ago, Superman said:

 

So what?

 

Also, I'm not campaigning to start a rookie QB on Day 1. I think we're set up really well to not need to start a rookie in 2020. Again, follow the KC model.

 

Fair and reasonable.

 

20 hours ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

no one is patient they wanna win right this second and for some reason they automatically think rookie QB = lost season. I dont really understand why tho

 

If not winning a Super is a lost season, then it's a lost season. No rookie QB has ever made it to, let alone win, the Super Bowl. If losing your first playoff game is a lost season, then history shows 9 rookie starters of 14 lost their first playoff game, and 4 out of 8 'replacement' rookie QB's lost theirs.

 

Now year 2... different story... for some. :)

 

19 hours ago, SteelCityColt said:

 

A lot of Rookie QBs who start, have probably been drafted by bad teams so it's not exactly surprising. This isn't a normal situation. We're not the Cardinals throwing Rosen to the lions behind a wonky O line, of the Kizer led Browns. 

 

The roster strength is much better, notably the O line, and as many have stated they aren't calling for a rookie to start, but give Brissett another season and let a guy sit. 

 

Reasonable. However, you also don't want the next Mark Sanchez, right?  Even though he had won a playoff game vs. Tom Brady in Foxboro, defeated Peyton Manning, Philip Rivers and Carson Palmer on the road in the playoffs, took the Jets to 2 straight AFC championship games, etc...  because he wasn't that good ( 33-29 ) and this-

 

19 hours ago, stitches said:

 

To me the answer is quite clear - if you like a QB in the draft and you think he can be a franchise QB with development... go get him. The only reason to not draft a QB IMO is if you actually don't like any of them(or can't get to a position to draft one if you like only some of the really highly ranked ones). 

 

It boils down to if you 'need' a QB, you got to try to get one. But that disclaimer is important. And goes with Ballard's 'you've got to get it close to the hole' putting analogy.  Can't really afford a wide miss, and have another long tough putt you still need to make.  But you still need one ( QB ) and have to do it. Thanks for it.

 

17 hours ago, Superman said:

NGS has an "air yards" stat going back to 2016. It tracks the average distance of a QB's targets from the LOS.

 

Brady's average completed air yards:

2016: 6.3

2017: 6.6

2018: 5.6

 

Brissett's average completed air yards:

2019: 4.6

 

Brissett was only 5.4 in 2017 as well.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

My question was, how much the offense benefits, or JB benefits, from YAC?

 

I was shown one fact, the percentage of YAC, which means nothing.  

 

We could be high on the YAC percentage stat by throwing for 100 yards a game, 55 coming from YAC.

 

And that stat would be almost irrelevant if its being driven by Frank calling 50 running plays per game, limiting turnovers and trying to dominate time of possession this season, for whatever reason.

 

Maybe realizing that the roster does not have any player that can take a short pass, break a tackle, and run 30 yards for a TD, or 15 yards to set up a FG?  One of our WRs? Hines? LOL.   Those are passing yards and passing TDs that are included in every NFL QBs stats, for those who benefit from it.  As are screen plays to the RB.

 

While not YAC, passing yards are influenced by plays like back shoulder throws down the sidelines, which are passing yards (and passing attempts) that rely heavily upon the receiver to know when to look for the throw, and can successfully win the contest with the DB.  Who on the team has shown they can make those catches?  How about diving fades in the corner of the endzone?  Even our "#1 receiver", TY, isn't particularly great at either of those plays and never has been. 

 

I think it makes more sense to judge JB when he has a serious array of weapons to work with, and a coach who also has confidence in those weapons.

 

 

 

 


 

 

Good God DD, give it up. YAC is one stat that goes along with may. Where a QB effects YAC is when he is able to hit a receiver as he is coming out of his break and is starting to create separation. JB doesn't seem to be able to anticipate or is afraid to pull the trigger before they are open and the DB has time to recover or it's 4 yds beyond the LOS and four other guys are there to make the tackle. Also hitting a guy deep when he is one on one and hitting in stride creates YAC.

The problem with this whole discussion is there is sooo much uniformed questioning going on (didn't use the word ignorant) in defense of someone critiquing JB that it appears that, in defending or explaining the critique it gets out of hand. It can take a half dozen or more post to explain this one thing and more question comes up and it appears by the end of the post that the guys question JBs game all of the sudden become a JB 'haters' in some people's opinion. 

I guess this may be common on discussion board and you contribute to good discuss to this board. Thanks for your input.

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, DougDew said:

My question was, how much the offense benefits, or JB benefits, from YAC?

 

I was shown one fact, the percentage of YAC, which means nothing.  

 

We could be high on the YAC percentage stat by throwing for 100 yards a game, 55 coming from YAC.

 

And that stat would be almost irrelevant if its being driven by Frank calling 50 running plays per game, limiting turnovers and trying to dominate time of possession this season, for whatever reason.

 

Maybe realizing that the roster does not have any player that can take a short pass, break a tackle, and run 30 yards for a TD, or 15 yards to set up a FG?  One of our WRs? Hines? LOL.   Those are passing yards and passing TDs that are included in every NFL QBs stats, for those who benefit from it.  As are screen plays to the RB.

 

While not YAC, passing yards are influenced by plays like back shoulder throws down the sidelines, which are passing yards (and passing attempts) that rely heavily upon the receiver to know when to look for the throw, and can successfully win the contest with the DB.  Who on the team has shown they can make those catches?  How about diving fades in the corner of the endzone?  Even our "#1 receiver", TY, isn't particularly great at either of those plays and never has been. 

 

I think it makes more sense to judge JB when he has a serious array of weapons to work with, and a coach who also has confidence in those weapons.

 

 

 

 


 

 

I prefer to judge him on what I see on the field.  He has not shown improvement on:

Reading the field and reacting to what he sees.  Open receivers are passed up for short yardage receivers.   

Blitzes.  He doesn't react well and he doesn't take advantage of them.  Many times he throws out of bounds almost automatically.   

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, DougDew said:

My question was, how much the offense benefits, or JB benefits, from YAC?

 

I was shown one fact, the percentage of YAC, which means nothing.  

 

We could be high on the YAC percentage stat by throwing for 100 yards a game, 55 coming from YAC.

 

The Colts have one of the highest YAC % in the league, and the Colts' QB has one of the lowest depth of target averages in the league. This means that JB's total yardage benefits from YAC more than most other QBs. It's a fairly simple conclusion to reach.

 

(By the way, YAC isn't a stat that has nothing to do with QB performance. A QB with a high YAC % might excel at delivering passes that the receiver can catch and run with, especially in comparison with other QBs. So I'm not separating JB from the Colts YAC %. He probably deserves some credit for it. But honestly, I'm not sure why we're talking about YAC. That's not something that's lacking in this offense, despite your claim that we have no YAC receivers. Ironic, when we have a high YAC %.)

 

We've seen film analysis that shows JB missing open receivers, instead checking down, throwing away or scrambling. This is contributing to his low depth of target average, which is contributing to his low yards/attempt and total yardage. Again, a simple conclusion to reach.

 

Quote

I think it makes more sense to judge JB when he has a serious array of weapons to work with, and a coach who also has confidence in those weapons.

 

I think this is weak. A few weeks ago, we started hearing 'no one is open!' That's been debunked, so now it's been simplified to 'JB can't trust these receivers!' 

 

Just throw the ball to receivers and give them a chance to do their job. We've seen that JB has had plenty of opportunities to do this. If he doesn't throw the ball to receivers because he can't trust them, then he's not doing his job. If he does his job, but the receivers don't, then let's get those receivers off the field.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

The Colts have one of the highest YAC % in the league, and the Colts' QB has one of the lowest depth of target averages in the league. This means that JB's total yardage benefits from YAC more than most other QBs. It's a fairly simple conclusion to reach.

 

(By the way, YAC isn't a stat that has nothing to do with QB performance. A QB with a high YAC % might excel at delivering passes that the receiver can catch and run with, especially in comparison with other QBs. So I'm not separating JB from the Colts YAC %. He probably deserves some credit for it. But honestly, I'm not sure why we're talking about YAC. That's not something that's lacking in this offense, despite your claim that we have no YAC receivers. Ironic, when we have a high YAC %.)

 

We've seen film analysis that shows JB missing open receivers, instead checking down, throwing away or scrambling. This is contributing to his low depth of target average, which is contributing to his low yards/attempt and total yardage. Again, a simple conclusion to reach.

we have to live with what ballard put on the roster, jb, hoyer, or kelly

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

 

4 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

1 - Where a QB effects YAC is when he is able to hit a receiver as he is coming out of his break and is starting to create separation. JB doesn't seem to be able to anticipate or is afraid to pull the trigger 

 

2 -The problem with this whole discussion is there is sooo much uniformed questioning going on (didn't use the word ignorant) in defense of someone critiquing JB that it appears that, in defending or explaining the critique it gets out of hand. It can take a half dozen or more post to explain this one thing and more question comes up and it appears by the end of the post that the guys question JBs game all of the sudden become a JB 'haters' in some people's opinion. 

 

 

Brissett had his flaws coming into the season.  Lack of anticipation of being able to hit the receiver coming out of the break was 1 that we all knew about.   As a JB supporter early in the season, I assumed that he would improve.   He has not.   

 

To be fair, there have been some "JB haters" that were a bit unreasonable from the start.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

JB has to play better.

I'm at the point where I don't that will happen.   Sure, he will have some better games, but as far as becoming the player to lead this franchise in the future, I no longer am optimistic.   11 games and zero has changed with his game.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

we have to live with what ballard put on the roster, jb, hoyer, or kelly

How exactly are you going to blame that on Ballard? Seriously? What did you expect him to do after his franchise QB retired 2 weeks before the start of the season? Brissett deserved a chance to prove himself and he's getting one... lets see what Ballard does this coming off-season. If he has a chance to get a franchise QB and still sticks with Brissett, Kelly and Hoyer... then I might join you in disapproving of his job. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

For the record... I've been one of Brissett's biggest critics here, but I feel like people don't give him enough credit for some of the things he's become better at since 2017. I've read posts saying he hasn't improved a bit since 2017 and I disagree with that too. I think he's gotten better with his pocket presence and avoiding sacks... and I think he's gotten better with his accuracy and touch overall. But with that said, some of the things that are hallmarks of high end quarterbacking(anticipation throwing, fitting balls into tight windows, putting the ball only where your receiver can get it - away from coverage) I don't think he's gotten better at and it's not by accident, those are in general things that QBs usually have hard time improving because they require some level of innate feel and vision for the game... and mentality to take some risks with your throws. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, stitches said:

How exactly are you going to blame that on Ballard? Seriously? What did you expect him to do after his franchise QB retired 2 weeks before the start of the season? Brissett deserved a chance to prove himself and he's getting one... lets see what Ballard does this coming off-season. If he has a chance to get a franchise QB and still sticks with Brissett, Kelly and Hoyer... then I might join you in disapproving of his job. 

the qbs on the roster were all brought in by him, why did he bring them in if they were bad? they all had track records

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

the qbs on the roster were all brought in by him, why did he bring them in if they were bad?

They are not bad. Brissett is a perfectly good backup in the league. This is what he was brought in to be in the long term. You cannot seriously blame Ballard that his pro-bowler retired 2 weeks before the season and we had to start Brissett. Hoyer is the backup to the backup and was one of the very few QBs available 2 weeks before the season. If you are available 2 weeks before the season starts, guess what - you are not a great QB. There are at least 60 QBs with jobs in the league at that point... you are looking at the 70th or there about QB in the league. Whoever you get at that point is not going to be great. 

 

The first 2 QBs have the jobs they do now as a direct result of Luck retiring. And Chad Kelly was a camp body/shot in the dark to see if he will behave and if he can be further developed in the practice squad. I don't know what you expect. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Myles said:

I'm at the point where I don't that will happen.   Sure, he will have some better games, but as far as becoming the player to lead this franchise in the future, I no longer am optimistic.   11 games and zero has changed with his game.  

 

Might, might not. My point was really that it's not Chris Ballard's fault that JB won't throw to open receivers.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Might, might not. My point was really that it's not Chris Ballard's fault that JB won't throw to open receivers.

it could be ballards fault he traded for him and got to see what he did with the pats before the trade

  • Confused 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

Might, might not. My point was really that it's not Chris Ballard's fault that JB won't throw to open receivers.

 

I think Chris bringing in Jacoby was a good move, especially after his awful decision to role with Tolzien going into 2017.  My biggest gripe is that they gave have him a nice contract for 2 years and created this narrative of him being top 15 in the league.  Nothing about that is inherently bad, but I just hope they will be open to other options at the end of the year.

 

I think they have to draft a QB and see what you have in Chad Kelly (if only for a couple of quarters).  If a backup has to go in for any reason (besides downing the ball on the last play) and it is Hoyer, I am going to lose it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hoosierhawk said:

Good God DD, give it up. YAC is one stat that goes along with may. Where a QB effects YAC is when he is able to hit a receiver as he is coming out of his break and is starting to create separation. JB doesn't seem to be able to anticipate or is afraid to pull the trigger before they are open and the DB has time to recover or it's 4 yds beyond the LOS and four other guys are there to make the tackle. Also hitting a guy deep when he is one on one and hitting in stride creates YAC.

The problem with this whole discussion is there is sooo much uniformed questioning going on (didn't use the word ignorant) in defense of someone critiquing JB that it appears that, in defending or explaining the critique it gets out of hand. It can take a half dozen or more post to explain this one thing and more question comes up and it appears by the end of the post that the guys question JBs game all of the sudden become a JB 'haters' in some people's opinion. 

I guess this may be common on discussion board and you contribute to good discuss to this board. Thanks for your input.

YAC also involves the receiver or RB breaking a tackle once in a while.  Using a stiff arm. Using lateral agility.  Using physicality.  Maintaining balance upon contact.  Its not only about leading receivers into open spaces.  That's for crossing routes and intermediate in routes.

 

Other than Mack, no skilled position player on this team has much lateral agility.  Not even TY.  And much of the time, Mack gets his by hopping on two feet, stifling forward momentum. 

 

IMO, no skilled position player on this team should feel safe, including number 1 RB and number 1 WR.  Not just the QB.

 

We don't know what JB is supposed to be looking at at any point in time.  Unless screen shots come with explanations of where each receiver is supposed to be combined with where JB is supposed to be looking upon 1, 2, and 3 seconds after the snap, we don't have much to conclude.    

 

The problem is uniformed QUESTIONING?  LOL...  The problem is uniformed conclusion forming.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DougDew said:

I assume the denominator is something like total passing yards (which would be low for us), and the numerator is YAC yards (which would be high relative to passing yards, but low overall because the total passing yard universe is already low).

 

So if its a low numerator divided by a low denominator, how is the stat meaningful?

 

If its the PATS of a few years ago, a 55% YAC percentage, 3rd in the NFL,  would be very meaningful because it would have been a large component of a high total passing yards and high scoring offense.

 

Good heavens....The question is elementary.

 

It is an elementary question in that it's only something someone with an elementary level of math would ask because the formula is pretty simple (Total Passing yards on completed passes-Air yards)/Total Passing yards on completed passes.

 

When you get a basic understand of math you realize that with percentages it does not matter if it's big numbers/big numbers or small numbers/small numbers.  1/10(small numbers) = 1000000/10000000 (big numbers).  That is why they use percentages... it levels the playing field when the numerators and denominators from various data sources are not equal.

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Myles said:

I prefer to judge him on what I see on the field.  He has not shown improvement on:

Reading the field and reacting to what he sees.  Open receivers are passed up for short yardage receivers.   

Blitzes.  He doesn't react well and he doesn't take advantage of them.  Many times he throws out of bounds almost automatically.   

 

 

I agree about blitzes.  But again, is the receiver truncating the route at the point JB expects him too.  

 

I'm simply pointing out the complete lack of acknowledgement of importance that quality skilled position players, and the synergies working with such quality players, the same quality players, are to the play of the QB.

 

Am I exaggerating?  Somehow, this board thought that Deon Cain, a 6th rounder, should be performing like a second round draft choice.  That you can draft them anywhere.

 

Reich called 17 runs in 18 play calls.  Unheard of.

 

Reich worked with whom as a player?  Andre Reed, Pete Metzelaars, Thurman Thomas, Don Beebe.   He knows what he doesn't have this year.

 

Luck could make Ebron look good where even Matthew Stafford could not.  Or are we not going to blame the QB for that.  We blame JB for it this year.

 

We're never drafting the next Luck ever again .

 

If you want to draft the next Stafford before or without drafting the skilled players, go ahead.  Even with good skilled position players with Stafford, you'll likely get the Ebron, and you'll likely get the interceptions.

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

good heavens what? he saw film on him and he still made the trade. looks like hoodie got the best of him. ballard may not be a good judge of qbs

 

This is a really bad angle for you.

 

Ballard trading for JB cost the Colts a WR that likely wasn't going to make the final roster anyway. It has no bearing on Ballard's ability to evaluate QBs. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

good heavens what? he saw film on him and he still made the trade. looks like hoodie got the best of him. ballard may not be a good judge of qbs

That is a possibility.  Polian for example, had a tough time finding DTs until Dungy came along and even then it wasn't great.  John Elway, has struggled to find a QB, except the one time that the true GOAT fell into his lap. The Colts' Grigson, as a former olineman, had trouble finding olineman.  It's very possible that CB needs to adjust his grading of QBs.

 

It is a possibility.  Hopefully he or Reich becomes good at it and works together.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It is an elementary question in that it's only something someone with an elementary level of math would ask because the formula is pretty simple (Total Passing yards on completed passes-Air yards)/Total Passing yards on completed passes.

 

When you get a basic understand of math you realize that with percentages it does not matter if it's big numbers/big numbers or small numbers/small numbers.  1/10(small numbers) = 1000000/10000000 (big numbers).  That is why they use percentages... it levels the playing field when the numerators and denominators from various data sources are not equal.


Volume stats aren’t good really for assessing, especially comparisons 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Superman said:

 

This is a really bad angle for you.

 

Ballard trading for JB cost the Colts a WR that likely wasn't going to make the final roster anyway. It has no bearing on Ballard's ability to evaluate QBs. 

the receiver he traded is doing well with the pats

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, bhougland said:

 

I think Chris bringing in Jacoby was a good move, especially after his awful decision to role with Tolzien going into 2017.  My biggest gripe is that they gave have him a nice contract for 2 years and created this narrative of him being top 15 in the league.  Nothing about that is inherently bad, but I just hope they will be open to other options at the end of the year.

 

I think they have to draft a QB and see what you have in Chad Kelly (if only for a couple of quarters).  If a backup has to go in for any reason (besides downing the ball on the last play) and it is Hoyer, I am going to lose it.

Can we all just please stop with the put Chad Kelly in crap. He is a 3rd strong qb who we waived and no one wanted him...NO ONE!!!  He is not the future started. Also he can’t be trusted to find his way home, let alone lead and be the face of franchise. 
 

JUST STOP, lol


 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate that Jacoby is literally the same guy we watched in college, and we have hope he is all of a sudden going to become "elite" (or at least some did at the beginning of the year).  For crying out loud he only had 204 yards passing per game in college, and only around 150 yards passing per game against ACC teams.  150 passing yards per game....hmm, sounds about right.  His depth of target was 6.7 yards....yep, checks out (or should I say checks down :funny:).

 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/jacoby-brissett-2.html

 

Midway through the year the following article was written.  It sounds as if it could of been written last Friday.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/article39348033.html

 

Meanwhile quarterbacks like Chad Kelly had 310 passing yards per game and 350  in the SEC, with an average depth of target of 8.6 - 8.9 yards.

 

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/chad-kelly-1.html

 

He is the exact same guy he was coming out of college.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

good heavens what? he saw film on him and he still made the trade. looks like hoodie got the best of him. ballard may not be a good judge of qbs

umm he traded for probably one of the top 5 best backups in the league. I don't like JB as a starter but the dude is easily one of the best backups in the whole league. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

That is a possibility.  Polian for example, had a tough time finding DTs until Dungy came along and even then it wasn't great.  John Elway, has struggled to find a QB, except the one time that the true GOAT fell into his lap. The Colts' Grigson, as a former olineman, had trouble finding olineman.  It's very possible that CB needs to adjust his grading of QBs.

 

It is a possibility.  Hopefully he or Reich becomes good at it and works together.

 

What are we doing, guys?

 

Ballard hasn't made a single move that would be a true reflection of his ability to evaluate QBs. He's never even drafted a QB. He added a backup QB at cut down day, and due to circumstances, that backup has started 25 games for us. At no point before this summer did Chris Ballard -- or anyone else, for that matter -- expect JB to be the starting QB for the Colts.

 

And by the way, saying that JB probably isn't good enough to be a franchise QB is a far different thing than saying that JB isn't good at all. 

 

Elway has drafted six QBs, three of them were in the first two rounds. JB is as good as any of them.

 

Let's slow down on evaluating Ballard's ability to evaluate QBs. There's no book on that yet.

  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Coffeedrinker said:

It is an elementary question in that it's only something someone with an elementary level of math would ask because the formula is pretty simple (Total Passing yards on completed passes-Air yards)/Total Passing yards on completed passes.

 

When you get a basic understand of math you realize that with percentages it does not matter if it's big numbers/big numbers or small numbers/small numbers.  1/10(small numbers) = 1000000/10000000 (big numbers).  That is why they use percentages... it levels the playing field when the numerators and denominators from various data sources are not equal.

The question was about the benefit, the impact, of YAC yards.  5.5 YAC yards divided by 10 total passing yards is 55 percent, but YAC has no impact because the universe is so small.   Ranking teams by their percentage does not answer the question..that's elementary.

 

The question was answered by giving only the stat, not the universe too.

 

Math is better used to measure known quantities, and to determine variables when measured against a known constant.  Football doesn't have hardly any known constants.   It involves variables, almost exclusively.  

 

Case in point:  HOU has a bad passing defense, statistically.  So what?  

 

Was that a stat computed before the addition of Hardgraves?  And was their 35 year old CB able to cover one on one every other teams (gimpy) #1 WR?   

 

Again, stats are used to answer something when you don't have good information to form an answer.  They are not a very good way to answer any question.  They are only useful when you understand almost nothing else about a situation.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Nadine locked and unlocked this topic
  • Nadine unpinned this topic

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...