Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
WarGhost21

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

Don't know if it matters what parameters you define franchise qb with.... Brissett would still be a reach to meet them....

• Like 1

I disagree on Brissett being a Franchise Qb. It seems to me he is to safe with the ball and doesn't take any calculated risk plays and never trusts his receiver to make the play. Only seems to make the safest plays.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dogg63 said:

I agree on Manning, he regularly competed for SBs. I disagree on Luck, he doesn't fit your criteria no matter how hard one tries to cram him into the bucket. 

Considering the lack of defense, lack of running game, and inept coaching during Luck's career, I'd say Luck was pretty darn close to Elite.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

I agree in principal but the Super Bowl results say elite QB's win rings not franchise QB's. Im nowhere near convinced yet JB is elite or can be. 

In the Pats dynasty era (roughly the current rules) there have been 3 non-elite QB's that won a ring;

Brad Johnson

Joe Flacco

Nick Foles

*Yes Eli Manning is elite; 2 SB wins & top 8 in passing yards all time.

• Confused 2

No, Brissett hasn’t shown enough this season that would suggest that he is a Franchise QB.

If your okay with probably not making the playoffs with a pretty good roster and elite O-Line then sure, he is your franchise QB.

Were not spoiled fans because of the last two QBs we just expect better. There is NO reason to stop trying to find better just because we have an average QB.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My optimism has faded on Brissett.   I really hope that if Reich is going to play-call the same next season, that he is not our starting QB.   

In his defense - 

I think Reich has been awful in his play-calling this season.  If he has this little faith in Brissett, he needs to make a change.   In the Texans game, they got the ball inside the 20 with 10-12 seconds left and just settled for the FG.   A coach with a QB they trusted would have taken 1-2 shots at the end zone.  

The lack of play action baffles me.  You know what teams do when they have established themselves as a solid running team?   They freaking run some play action!

I've been very disappointed in Reich this season.  Also in Brissett.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

I agree in principal but the Super Bowl results say elite QB's win rings not franchise QB's. Im nowhere near convinced yet JB is elite or can be. 

In the Pats dynasty era (roughly the current rules) there have been 3 non-elite QB's that won a ring;

Brad Johnson

Joe Flacco

Nick Foles

Eli isn't close to elite.   He has a .500 career record.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mitch Connors said:

Brad Johnson

Joe Flacco

Nick Foles

Completetly disagree on Eli.

He has played 15 seasons, but has only made the playoffs 5 times, has only won a playoff game in two seasons, only scored more than 24 points in a playoff game once, overall record as a starter is 116-116. That is a far cry from elite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mr.Debonair said:

I would give three of my toes to have the guy from last year back

Me too. Potatoes, Tomatoes and Mosquitoes.

Hello everyone!

Just "re-joined" the forum.  Just a couple of thoughts.  I think Brissett CAN be the Colts future.  His only weakness, that I can see at this point, is speed in decision making.  If he can watch and learn from the game film, we'll be fine.  I'm excited for our defense.  We have a lot of young guys and I think we're only going to get better. Considering that 12 retired at the beginning of the year, we're still in the fight. 

Brissett so far has shown to be about average at QB. My fear is that he stays just good enough for us to not move on from him, while we hope to hit on every pick and signing so that we can build a 95 overall team around our 80 overall QB and end up stuck in the middle for years. I would love for him to improve and become a franchise guy. A top 10-12 would be fine with me, doesn't have to be a top 5 guy.  But 15-25 just isn't good enough. Until he can get better at pre-snap reads, his progressions, and his ability to pull the trigger, he isn't a franchise guy. If he improves id love to be able to get the the Brissett wagon. 

i think houston will win the division every year if we keep JB and they have watson

so i will say no 

• Like 1

Had the opportunity to watch JB in houston.... I was greatly disappointed. I love the guy, his character, leadership, intangibles, but he's an NFL qb. He looked slow seeing routes develop, understanding the pre-snap looks the defense was showing, and he had all day to stand in the pocket. 

Second half they were just stacking the box with a single high safety. There was about 2-3 times where Marcus Johnson was 1-on-1, and JB wouldn't even look his way. Like atleast take a shot to stretch the field. 

And on the 4th down run where he came up short, there were at least 2 options that came open, but he hesitated. He even had the option to run and pick it up but kept standing in the pocket until the very last second, and we know how that worked. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

Jordan Love please

If he can be had in the second round, I'd be Ok with it.  I'm just not sold on him.  He reminds me of Haskins.   I fear he would be an INT machine in the NFL.  I just don't want the Colts to trade up to get him.  Some mocks have Tampa taking him.  

Cons - Needs to improve his field vision and awareness. Often fails to recognize or completely disregards coverage rotations and it doesn’t have a great enough impact on his decision making. He throws some careless, YOLO balls that need to be reduced. While there is a lot to like about his willingness to be patient and stay in the pocket, his internal clock is often tardy. Can be aggressive vertically to fault.

1 hour ago, Jdubu said:

You are right in that their are a few types of QB’s. 
1. generational

2. Franchise

3. placeholders

we know we don’t have #1 for certain. My suggestion is we are a lot closer to #3 than #2 even. Teams don’t want a guy who is going to just do enough, they need a difference maker and JB has shown over the season so far, his skill set is not game changer. He isn’t Manning, he doesn’t diagnose plays and dissect them in real time. He isn’t Mahomes who just can flat out run you if needed. And he isn’t Rogers who has such elite traits of speed and accuracy. Saying that, I don’t think our team needs that type of guy but you would like to have one of those traits and JB has none of those. 

JB is a great team loving guy. JB is a guy who has leadership qualities no doubt. JB is a guy who will stand in the pocket and is stout to try and take down so he can extend a play. What JB lacks though is, despite extending a play, he lacks the ability to look through his reads, he doesn’t seem to throw downfield at all and he certainly hasn’t shown any ability whatsoever to throw open a receiver. If this team didn’t have an offensive line that could open holes for the RB’s, would this team even have any wins, and I think it’s a legitimate question to ask? 

so the team either horribly misinterpreted JB’s skill set, have no ability to change the offense to more mirror JB’s limited skill set into a simple game manager, and he can be that type, or JB is just flat out exposed as a below avg QB now that he has extensive tape for teams to exploit his negatives. Imho, the offense would succeed a ton more if we ran more quick hitting throws instead of making JB try to do something he hasn’t shown he can do, go through progressions to hit downfield shots. 

I have tried to figure out who to model JB after and I just couldn’t compare him to anyone of recent. It donned on me the other day, I think he is a version of the Ravens version of Dilfer. Just manage the ball and let your defense and running game win this. Problem is, we don’t carry that level of defense yet. 

I really hope I’m way wrong and once we get DF and TY and PC all on the field together with healthy Mack and now Williams and Hines, we can see an offense the team intended to see. But understanding JB can’t seem to throw open a receiver, it largely concerns me. 

Dilfer, Tyrod Taylor, David Jarrard. 
 Brissett had Nothing against Houston this far into the season.
 Just a really bad sign. I hope Chad Kelly gets some PT in the last few games.

• Like 3

He has not shown that he's either franchise QB or an elite QB. He's below average QB that can start in the league, but you will always be looking to upgrade him if he's your QB. He's not yet shown he can be the engine of a highly efficient offense. 

He's nowhere close to the Ryan's, Stafford's and even Cousins' of the world. He's more in the Tyrod Taylor. Marcus Mariota, etc range right now and that's not where you want to be with your QB if you want to consistently win in the league. 

• Like 7

If we still had a bad defense he would still be the same 4 win QB Brisset is neither a elite or franchise QB .

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Dilfer, Tyrod Taylor, David Jarrard. 
 Brissett had Nothing against Houston this far into the season.
 Just a really bad sign. I hope Chad Kelly gets some PT in the last few games.

Not me yet.   That would mean we are out of the playoff hunt.  

1 hour ago, Myles said:

I've been very disappointed in Reich this season.  Also in Brissett.

Yeah, you do know that Reich is calling plays with full awareness of what JB can and can't do, right? I'm yet to see a good argument that this (the play calling making JB average or whatever the contention is) is on Reich at all beyond generalized frustration that this season is mediocre (like JB!).

44 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

Jordan Love please

no thanks, another project, good in college not sure about nfl

• Like 1

you are right, we have to find a way to win with him, a draft pick would take years to develop, maybe ballard can work a deal for a proven upgrade

10 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Yeah, you do know that Reich is calling plays with full awareness of what JB can and can't do, right? I'm yet to see a good argument that this (the play calling making JB average or whatever the contention is) is on Reich at all beyond generalized frustration that this season is mediocre (like JB!).

The lack of play action frustrates me the most.   That is on Reich.   If Reich thinks so little of JB, having him starting is also on him.  

Settling for a FG from inside the 20 with 10-12 seconds left in the half is also on Reich.  

9 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

Ballard seems to like him, he’s been to multiple games of his. 

If JB plays the way he's been playing, no way we will beat the Titans.  If you saw the highlights of the Titans, Tannehill appears to be the solid QB for the Titans.  I don't think JB can do half the performance Tannehill showed yesterday beating the Jaguars....Chalk up a loss for the Colts this Sunday, Tennessee wins.  

1 hour ago, lollygagger8 said:

Brissett has a lot of issues to overcome before he becomes the long term solution for the Colts. 

He’s the QB, because Luck retired. 

All of a sudden there’s franchise or elite QB categories? Well, if that’s the case, Brissett is neither. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

hate to break it to you but you probably are not getting a Andrew Luck where we will be picking 

Just now, Thunderbolt said:

If JB plays the way he's been playing, no way we will beat the Titans.  If you saw the highlights of the Titans, Tannehill appears to be the solid QB for the Titans.  I don't think JB can do half the performance Tannehill showed yesterday beating the Jaguars....Chalk up a loss for the Colts this Sunday, Tennessee wins.  

So you are not watching it I assume.   Why would anyone watch a game that they know the outcome to?

I agree that I think the Titans win this one.  They are playing much better than the Colts right now.  Solid defense, productive offense and I think they have the coaching advantage.  

6 minutes ago, Myles said:

So you are not watching it I assume.   Why would anyone watch a game that they know the outcome to?

I agree that I think the Titans win this one.  They are playing much better than the Colts right now.  Solid defense, productive offense and I think they have the coaching advantage.  

there is nothing wrong with Frank he was a coach of the year candidate last year with a real NFL QB. he's doing the best he can with an average QB that cant throw the ball. 

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

there is nothing wrong with Frank he was a coach of the year candidate last year with a real NFL QB. he's doing the best he can with an average QB that cant throw the ball. 

I disagree.   He should be calling much more play action.   

If he has so little trust in his QB, he shouldn't be starting him.  

2 minutes ago, Myles said:

I disagree.   He should be calling much more play action.   

If he has so little trust in his QB, he shouldn't be starting him.  

who else they gonna play? I'd rather see Kelly but its not gonna happen he has no time with the 1st unit.

You've confused the concept of "Franchise QB" with "QB of a Franchise."  Jacoby Brissett is a backup and he's proved he'll always be one.  It's a wonder Frank has won as many games as he has with Brissett.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

Ballard seems to like him, he’s been to multiple games of his. 

ballard may be looking at someone else on the team, who knows who he is looking at

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Myles said:

The lack of play action frustrates me the most.   That is on Reich.   If Reich thinks so little of JB, having him starting is also on him.  

Settling for a FG from inside the 20 with 10-12 seconds left in the half is also on Reich.  

You do know Andrew Luck retired two weeks before the season? How do you think JB got this job? There's not a long list of options here. Last year the offense/passing game was pretty good. This year it's not . What's the common denominator? It's not a few more play action calls here or there.

And take the points, please, especially against the Texans as that's who was on the receiving end of his worst move as a coach, giving them the win as opposed to taking a tie last year. You take the tie against a division opponent, if the alternative is a loss. Not hard.

1 hour ago, aaron11 said:

i think houston will win the division every year if we keep JB and they have watson

so i will say no 

watson is a top five qb and they have elite receivers, we are not in their class on paper but we can still beat them sometimes

21 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

Before the knee injury, everyone was pretty high on him....

They were winning games, but his passing ability wasn't materially different. 

We're in information gathering mode, some back and forth is natural. He's got time to flip the script again, but he really needs some pass catchers healthy- that's really not getting enough consideration. JB ain't Dan Marino, but I don't think he's quite as helpless as he looked last week either.