Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

WarGhost21

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

Take a look at this and tell me why / what it means.

Aside from the two minute drive at the end of the first half, we had 22 first down play calls (including plays that were penalized). We called a run play on 18 of them. That's 82%. (Run plays don't include QB scrambles.)

Aside from the two minute drive at the end of the first half, we had 21 second down play calls (including plays that were penalized). We called a run play on 15 of them. That's 71%. (This does include the QB keeper / read option for a TD, which appeared to be a called run play. Maybe it was RPO, but it would still qualify.)

We had 2nd and 5, or less, seven times. We called a run on six of those seven plays.

On the final drive (the turnover on downs), we had three first down play calls. We called a run play all three times. We had three second down play calls. We called a run twice. 

On the final drive, we ran ten plays. Six of them were called runs. The four called pass plays came on 2nd and 8, 3rd and 8, 3rd and 7, and 4th and 7. Result was 1/3 for 13 yards, and a six yard scramble on 4th and 7.

I would especially like to know how this influences one's thoughts about "tipping off the defense," since that's the prevailing counter-argument against using more play action, or using screen passes.

I would also like to know from you all why the play calling is so run-centric, so conservative. 

And I would like to know why, when the run game is going well, we don't mix in more play action.

lNUh0uV.gif

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Superman said:

Aside from the two minute drive at the end of the first half, we had 22 first down play calls (including plays that were penalized). We called a run play on 18 of them. That's 82%. (Run plays don't include QB scrambles.)

Aside from the two minute drive at the end of the first half, we had 21 second down play calls (including plays that were penalized). We called a run play on 15 of them. That's 71%. (This does include the QB keeper / read option for a TD, which appeared to be a called run play. Maybe it was RPO, but it would still qualify.)

We had 2nd and 5, or less, seven times. We called a run on six of those seven plays.

On the final drive (the turnover on downs), we had three first down play calls. We called a run play all three times. We had three second down play calls. We called a run twice. 

On the final drive, we ran ten plays. Six of them were called runs. The four called pass plays came on 2nd and 8, 3rd and 8, 3rd and 7, and 4th and 7. Result was 1/3 for 13 yards, and a six yard scramble on 4th and 7.

I would especially like to know how this influences one's thoughts about "tipping off the defense," since that's the prevailing counter-argument against using more play action, or using screen passes.

I would also like to know from you all why the play calling is so run-centric, so conservative. 

And I would like to know why, when the run game is going well, we don't mix in more play action.

giphy.gif

4 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

If we draft a QB it better be the right one because JB is above average, he isn't a Hoyer or a Painter like some are making him out to be. As a Colts fan I feel bad for JB because we have a fan base that some doesn't like him. 

Personally, it's not that I don't like the dude.  I don't know the dude.

He's slow.  Slow to read.  Slow to throw.  And Slow footed.  

Definitions of average aside, It is my strong belief that he is not good enough.  Now I think it's unfortunate that he is well liked in the locker room because it makes it harder to move on, but I have little doubt that JB is not what the club needs going forward.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I wish I had an answer. the play calling was so..... odd last night, it makes me wonder?

2 hours ago, Superman said:

I was gonna reply with the same gif that's already been used, so I'll just say spot on.

Last night seemed like a really telling game in terms of what Reich knows he has in JB. He knows JB's not gonna attack downfield even when there's the option too in most cases, and if guys aren't being schemed wide open he's gonna struggle. So why not just run it more.

As for play action, yeah, part of my thinking is that Reich just knows it's not a strength of JB's. It seems like the only successful times we've run PA were very short passes/dump off's to an already wide open Doyle.

4 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I was gonna reply with the same gif that's already been used, so I'll just say spot on.

Last night was the most telling game in terms of what Reich knows he has in JB. When the play action convo was happening here before this game, part of my thinking was that Reich just probably knows it's not a strength of JB's. It seems like the only successful times we've run PA were very short passes/dump off's to an already wide open Doyle.

Okay, but what happened to the gameplan we used a month ago against the same team?

And honestly, I'd like to see Reich just let JB open it up, encourage him to let it rip, and let's see what happens. We're leaving plays on the field. When you don't push your limits, you can't find your boundaries.

21 minutes ago, Superman said:

Okay, but what happened to the gameplan we used a month ago against the same team?

And honestly, I'd like to see Reich just let JB open it up, encourage him to let it rip, and let's see what happens. We're leaving plays on the field. When you don't push your limits, you can't find your boundaries.

I genuinely can't remember, did we run much PA against the Texans last time? As for not doing what worked, yeah, the rub routes and crossing patterns weren't anywhere to be seen last night. Maybe more zone stifled that.

As for your point though, yeah, might as well encourage JB to rip it. Especially now that the season’s very much in jeopardy, I’m fine with that. We'd at least get a clear idea of what JB is truly capable of, whether good or bad.

9 minutes ago, Superman said:

same feeling here. I wish the below coaching was given.. 

Reich - "I want to see you open it up. Go long even if you're just throwing it to a spot and not a WR. And most importantly, don't be afraid to make mistakes. Try to throw with your gut and anticipation"

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Right or wrong I think it means that the coaching staff feels our best chance at winning is the running game. I believe they realize JBs limitations. I don't necessarily agree with the play calling all the time as we seem to be way too predicable but our options are limited with JB.

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

I wonder if that's a conversation that's already taken place and a reason why he seems to every week be holding the ball longer then the week before...

24 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

same feeling here. I wish the below coaching was given.. 

Reich - "I want to see you open it up. Go long even if you're just throwing it to a spot and not a WR. And most importantly, don't be afraid to make mistakes. Try to throw with your gut and anticipation"

I just want to specify that when I say 'open it up' I don't mean I want to see a bunch of deep throws. Although, some would be a welcome addition. I mean I want to see him throw the ball. Seriously, half the time last night I was screaming "THROW THE BALL!!!" Internally, of course... 

Push the envelope. He's so risk averse that he's not giving his receivers chances, and lately he's been even more Checkdown Charlie-ish.

22 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

Right or wrong I think it means that the coaching staff feels our best chance at winning is the running game. I believe they realize JBs limitations. I don't necessarily agree with the play calling all the time as we seem to be way too predicable but our options are limited with JB.

Seems like it.

3 minutes ago, Superman said:

I just want to specify that when I say 'open it up' I don't mean I want to see a bunch of deep throws. Although, some would be a welcome addition. I mean I want to see him throw the ball. Seriously, half the time last night I was screaming "THROW THE BALL!!!" Internally, of course... 

Push the envelope. He's so risk averse that he's not giving his receivers chances, and lately he's been even more Checkdown Charlie-ish.

I don't need a bunch of deep shots either, just enough each game to keep Ds honest. 

I'm exactly with you on the risk averse topic. 

I yelled (not internally of course lol) at my TV screens last night a few times when he missed open guys. A few other times simply at the predictability and play calling ratio.

My buddy back in Indy thinks Reich tried to get too cute, thinking going a total 180 from G1 would catch them off guard. 

Just now, EastStreet said:

My buddy back in Indy thinks Reich tried to get too cute, thinking going a total 180 from G1 would catch them off guard. 

I'm not a fan of the gameplan, but I think if you give one play action on the last drive, or call a screen on 3rd and 7, maybe we convert and can finish off the drive with a TD.

And again, my frustration is not entirely results based. I'm just pointing out that Reich could have gone with a super ground heavy game, but still mixed in a trend buster at the end that could have made that drive productive.

1 minute ago, Superman said:

I'm not a fan of the gameplan, but I think if you give one play action on the last drive, or call a screen on 3rd and 7, maybe we convert and can finish off the drive with a TD.

And again, my frustration is not entirely results based. I'm just pointing out that Reich could have gone with a super ground heavy game, but still mixed in a trend buster at the end that could have made that drive productive.

I think there were several times, just one or two plays, could have substantially improved drives. I'm not averse to running a lot, but I am absolutely critical of last nights ratio, and mix within the ratio.

My frustrations are both results and process based.  

37 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

I wonder if that's a conversation that's already taken place and a reason why he seems to every week be holding the ball longer then the week before...

Yeah, I'd love to be a fly on the wall during their reported long conversation after last night's game.

You don't think Reich is calling pass plays wih deeper routes in them? He most definitely is, I can see them clear as day. Brissett identifying and making the throws is another thing altogether. We have a large sample size, between 2017 and this year, and it's apparent that Jacoby Brissett isn't a quarterback that's going to go out and win you games. I saw at least 4-5 plays last night where an open guy either A) The read was missed altogether or B) The read was made way too late. That's not on playcalling. JB has to be able to make throws at times when his guys don't have complete separation, he has to be able to lead guys, throw them open, put the ball where his guy has a chance to win, and he isn't doing any of that. 

Easy Sup.  They played man last time.  This time zone.

They rubbed and schemed 1st reads open against the man.  Zone is different.  The Colts' QB isn't good at reading zone.

27 minutes ago, Superman said:

I cannot understand the lack of screening.  Pretty much my one gripe about Reich's play calling in general.  Maybe JB can't throw that ball either.  It takes touch and isn't as easy as most think.

32 minutes ago, EastStreet said:

I don't need a bunch of deep shots either, just enough each game to keep Ds honest. 

I'm exactly with you on the risk averse topic. 

I yelled (not internally of course lol) at my TV screens last night a few times when he missed open guys. A few other times simply at the predictability and play calling ratio.

I yell externally at the TV.

25 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here is a play where the rush is coming quick but Hilton is sitting in the soft zone. Although the oline didn’t hold up the ball needs to come out right away. This should of been a quick play to Hilton.

Jacoby was not really under duress all night.  For the most part, he had a clean pocket and ample opportunity to extend plays.

Opposing fans notice as well, here is an article from the Texans' version of Stampede Blue:

https://www.battleredblog.com/2019/11/22/20977410/incompletions-texans-colts-establish-the-run

Few lines that stood out to me:

The game planning for both teams seemed especially inept at times. I expect that from Bill O’Brien but I was shocked at how Frank Reich insisted on not attacking the Texans secondary. 

The Colts imposed their will running the ball and it’s a miracle that the Texans were able to come up with stops at all. Luckily for us, it looked like Frank Reich forgot that you’re allowed to throw the ball and run play-action when the run is working so well. The Colts looked like they don’t have much faith in Jacoby Brissett.

Jacoby Brissett is a very good backup quarterback on his best day. Can he take this team or any other team to the Super Bowl, no way. He is just no sure of himself. I do not know if he was having a problem with his knee or what the problem was but some of his easy throws he made difficult last night. We made a bad defense in Houston look like Super Bowl winners last night. I read in 1 article that there was a suggestion that the team has an option to forgo the last year of his contract, which I agree they should, and pick up a top quarterback in the draft this upcoming year. With all the cap space they have and draft picks in the second round they could trade Brissett, pick up a top quarterback and other pieces that they need, like wide receivers and corner backs, and make another run at it next year. They are close but in no way can they play with the "big boys" yet.

5 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Opposing fans notice as well, here is an article from the Texans' version of Stampede Blue:

https://www.battleredblog.com/2019/11/22/20977410/incompletions-texans-colts-establish-the-run

The game planning for both teams seemed especially inept at times. I expect that from Bill O’Brien but I was shocked at how Frank Reich insisted on not attacking the Texans secondary. 

The Colts imposed their will running the ball and it’s a miracle that the Texans were able to come up with stops at all. Luckily for us, it looked like Frank Reich forgot that you’re allowed to throw the ball and run play-action when the run is working so well. The Colts looked like they don’t have much faith in Jacoby Brissett.

We need to change the mantra from "Just Run The Damn Ball" to "Just Throw The Damn Ball."

42 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here is a play where the rush is coming quick but Hilton is sitting in the soft zone. Although the oline didn’t hold up the ball needs to come out right away. This should of been a quick play to Hilton.

This would hit Hilton in the back of his head (unless he guesses which way TY is going to cut), but better than a sack, normally. Since they had to punt, I think it was immaterial.  I'm waiting for NFL to release All 22 right now myself.

I want to see how many open guys he missed, before I can get on Reich a bit.

On 11/20/2019 at 11:53 AM, MPStack said:

I’d say depends on the prognosis. If, he does enter the 2020 draft, he won’t slide out of the 1st Rd. 

The big question is, would Ballard take him if he lasted until the Colts pick. 

Trivia question? Who was the last left handed QB for the Colts? 

I think Ballard likes big qbs.

Elway?  - jk

2 hours ago, chad72 said:

That is hilarious

8 hours ago, Superman said:

That's not happening.

With about 7 or 8 posters that is what is happening. I can mention 10 other posters that think the same thing as I do and all are good posters if we want to go there. So I am not the only one that thinks this. It is the same ol thing every week in here. When we win with these 7 or 8 posters it is despite of JB, when we lose it is all JB's fault. You are just as smart as I am if not smarter so I know you see it. I read every post in here. I am just more outspoken than most and I am saying what at least 10-15 other people want too.

Having said that, JB did play bad last night but TY Hilton played like Donte Moncrief and Reich coached liked Chuck so JB's teammates/coaches didn't do him any favors. Williams showed up and that was because Reich used him like crazy.

Like I have posted all along, I see both sides of everything, some don't for some reason. I have never posted anything unreasonable to the point where someone would be like WTH. I have maintained that JB is above average, an Alex Smith type, roughly a top 15 QB in the league, a QB that isn't as good as Andrew Luck though, but a QB that can win games which he has and he was thrown into a situation that should not of happen when Andrew retired. I have never even had a problem with people bringing stats up, I do it as well. I am a stat guy to an extent as It is a good way to measure players.

3 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

With about 7 or 8 posters that is what is happening. I can mention 10 other posters that think the same thing as I do and all are good posters if we want to go there. So I am not the only one that thinks this. It is the same ol thing every week in here. When we win with these 7 or 8 posters it is despite of JB, when we lose it is all JB's fault. You are just as smart as I am if not smarter so I know you see it. I read every post in here. I am just more outspoken than most and I am saying what at least 10-15 other people want too.

Having said that, JB did play bad last night but TY Hilton played like Donte Moncrief and Reich coached liked Chuck so JB's teammates/coaches didn't do him any favors. Williams showed up and that was because Reich used him like crazy.

Like I have posted all along, I see both sides of everything, some don't for some reason. I have never posted anything unreasonable to the point where someone would be like WTH. I have maintained that JB is above average, an Alex Smith type, roughly a top 15 QB in the league, a QB that isn't as good as Andrew Luck though, but a QB that can win games which he has and he was thrown into a situation that should not of happen when Andrew retired. I have never even had a problem with people bringing stats up, I do it as well. I am a stat guy to an extent as It is a good way to measure players.

2006, I really like you as a poster and think we would have some good laughs over a beer but when it comes to the colts and Jacoby we are worlds apart.  We do agree, I think in one thing and that is JB is a really good guy. Where we disagree is, is JB the answer for the Colts and is winning the only thing that matters?

NFL football, like it or not, is in the entertainment business as well as the competitive win/loss business. You feel JB is an above average QB and he doesn't lose games . I don't disagree entirely but that in my opinion doesn't cut it. One on here today said JBs goal, and I am paraphrasing is to keep the game close to the end. I disagree. The object is to win, which you are in agreement but that is not, unfortunately, the only goal. Seats in the stadium in the NFL(entertainment business) is also vital to any NFL team(right Mr Irsay?). We are not an entertaining team with JB. We in fact are a very boring team and as some have expressed today we are not a fun team to watch. If you pay $200 to watch the Colts it is more entertaining to watch a wide open game with 3 TDs and 1 pick in a 30-27 game than 1 td and no picks in a 10-7 game. We need entertainment to fill the seats and a team that wins consistently and is exciting.

I am certain that many may dislike my take but it is a business and we must not lose sight of it. These guys are making millions so it isn't like a common everyday job. They must perform and at a high level, especially if they are the lead actor(QB). JB is not it. 

Is Brissett a bad QB - Hell NO

Is Brissett a good QB - Yeah he is

Can he become a better QB - Of course he can

But can he become a Super Bowl winning QB - Hell NO

Jacoby Brissett is an okay/ Good QB, but he will never become a great QB, and though Foles, Flacco and ELi have won a Super Bowl or two, I don't think the Colts will win one with Brissett.

I'd say, draft a QB in the coming draft and let him sit behind Brissett and then if / when things goes south in next season, start the new QB and let him develop. 

Since Luck retired and Brissett took over, I haven't really enjoyed that many colts games, because Brissett is a MEH QB for the most part. Sometimes he shines, but that's as rare a thing as the colts winning a Super Bowl. 

We have the best O-line in the entire NFL, some great players on defence to build around, so CB... find us the next QB and bring in some new energy to the QB position so we can win the big one.

8 hours ago, hoosierhawk said:

2006, I really like you as a poster and think we would have some good laughs over a beer but when it comes to the colts and Jacoby we are worlds apart.  We do agree, I think in one thing and that is JB is a really good guy. Where we disagree is, is JB the answer for the Colts and is winning the only thing that matters?

NFL football, like it or not, is in the entertainment business as well as the competitive win/loss business. You feel JB is an above average QB and he doesn't lose games . I don't disagree entirely but that in my opinion doesn't cut it. One on here today said JBs goal, and I am paraphrasing is to keep the game close to the end. I disagree. The object is to win, which you are in agreement but that is not, unfortunately, the only goal. Seats in the stadium in the NFL(entertainment business) is also vital to any NFL team(right Mr Irsay?). We are not an entertaining team with JB. We in fact are a very boring team and as some have expressed today we are not a fun team to watch. If you pay $200 to watch the Colts it is more entertaining to watch a wide open game with 3 TDs and 1 pick in a 30-27 game than 1 td and no picks in a 10-7 game. We need entertainment to fill the seats and a team that wins consistently and is exciting.

I am certain that many may dislike my take but it is a business and we must not lose sight of it. These guys are making millions so it isn't like a common everyday job. They must perform and at a high level, especially if they are the lead actor(QB). JB is not it. 

When Andrew Luck retired I had the Colts going 8-8 and had JB rated around the 30th best QB in the league. I said that in a post back in August. After the 1st Houston game is when I moved JB way up to 15th as we were 4-2 and he torched Houston. What happened Thursday night is still puzzling to me. I love the mindset of run 1st because that is how we are built now but I thought Reich ran it way too much. Houston's secondary isn't that good and their pass rush really isn't either. I am not sure why JB didn't throw more or was he even allowed too by the coaches? Our WR core is very suspect as well, that is my opinion. Hilton had a key drop too. We will see how the season plays out. After week 17, I will have a better idea about JB. 

So, I am a huge Brissett fan and like him a lot but i wanted to clear the air on some stuff. 

I was listening to the radio the other day and the host stated there was a difference between Franchise QB and Elite QB.

There are very few Elite ones in the league today and is what everyone is chasing. Elites are the Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady, Wilson. They are the generational talents that regularly compete for Superbowls. we had one of these in Manning and Luck. But they are gone and we have to move on. 

The other is Franchise. They are Qbs that will win anywhere from 9-12 games a year and occasionally compete for super bowls and go on deep playoff runs. They are the Qb that is really good but not generational. You stay with them because you can’t find anyone better (because elite is so hard to find). These are guys like Ryan, Stafford, Rivers, Dalton, Cousins. If surrounded by enough talent they can look elite at times. 

I believe that Brissett is a Franchise QB but probably not elite, based on this. I am okay with that. It is so hard to find a good starting level Qb and damn near impossible to get a generational elite one.  If given support he will take us to the playoffs and maybe a Super Bowl. Don’t take for granted making the playoffs. 

what do y’all think?

2 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

So, I am a huge Brissett fan and like him a lot but i wanted to clear the air on some stuff. 

I was listening to the radio the other day and the host stated there was a difference between Franchise QB and Elite QB.

There are very few Elite ones in the league today and is what everyone is chasing. Elites are the Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady, Wilson. They are the generational talents that regularly compete for Superbowls. we had one of these in Manning and Luck. But they are gone and we have to move on. 

The other is Franchise. They are Qbs that will win anywhere from 9-12 games a year and occasionally compete for super bowls and go on deep playoff runs. They are the Qb that is really good but not generational. You stay with them because you can’t find anyone better (because elite is so hard to find). These are guys like Ryan, Stafford, Rivers, Dalton, Cousins. If surrounded by enough talent they can look elite at times. 

I believe that Brissett is a Franchise QB but probably not elite, based on this. I am okay with that. It is so hard to find a good starting level Qb and damn near impossible to get a generational elite one.  If given support he will take us to the playoffs and maybe a Super Bowl. Don’t take for granted making the playoffs. 

what do y’all think?

You are right in that their are a few types of QB’s. 
1. generational

2. Franchise

3. placeholders

we know we don’t have #1 for certain. My suggestion is we are a lot closer to #3 than #2 even. Teams don’t want a guy who is going to just do enough, they need a difference maker and JB has shown over the season so far, his skill set is not game changer. He isn’t Manning, he doesn’t diagnose plays and dissect them in real time. He isn’t Mahomes who just can flat out run you if needed. And he isn’t Rogers who has such elite traits of speed and accuracy. Saying that, I don’t think our team needs that type of guy but you would like to have one of those traits and JB has none of those. 

JB is a great team loving guy. JB is a guy who has leadership qualities no doubt. JB is a guy who will stand in the pocket and is stout to try and take down so he can extend a play. What JB lacks though is, despite extending a play, he lacks the ability to look through his reads, he doesn’t seem to throw downfield at all and he certainly hasn’t shown any ability whatsoever to throw open a receiver. If this team didn’t have an offensive line that could open holes for the RB’s, would this team even have any wins, and I think it’s a legitimate question to ask? 

so the team either horribly misinterpreted JB’s skill set, have no ability to change the offense to more mirror JB’s limited skill set into a simple game manager, and he can be that type, or JB is just flat out exposed as a below avg QB now that he has extensive tape for teams to exploit his negatives. Imho, the offense would succeed a ton more if we ran more quick hitting throws instead of making JB try to do something he hasn’t shown he can do, go through progressions to hit downfield shots. 

I have tried to figure out who to model JB after and I just couldn’t compare him to anyone of recent. It donned on me the other day, I think he is a version of the Ravens version of Dilfer. Just manage the ball and let your defense and running game win this. Problem is, we don’t carry that level of defense yet. 

I really hope I’m way wrong and once we get DF and TY and PC all on the field together with healthy Mack and now Williams and Hines, we can see an offense the team intended to see. But understanding JB can’t seem to throw open a receiver, it largely concerns me. 

45 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

what do y’all think?

Sounds about right.  I've been a big supporter of Brissett too, lately though it looks like hes regressing.   I say "looks" because we really cant know whats going on with his game without being in the organization.  Out here we're aways the last to know. 

All that is to say that right now, I dont know if we have a franchise or a place holder.  I do know which one he has looked more like recently post,  and I know right now he's not playing at an "elite" level.. 

Im a proponent of "the long game".  I know new systems take time and development takes time, but I'd be really happy if he shows some signs of progress toward "franchise" in the last 5 weeks.  Give us an updated glimpse of what Ballard and Reich claim to be seeing.

58 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

There are very few Elite ones in the league today and is what everyone is chasing. Elites are the Rodgers, Mahomes, Brady, Wilson. They are the generational talents that regularly compete for Superbowls. we had one of these in Manning and Luck.

I agree on Manning, he regularly competed for SBs. I disagree on Luck, he doesn't fit your criteria no matter how hard one tries to cram him into the bucket. 

And I agree that JB is a tweener between buckets 2 and 3.

Archived