Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jacoby Brissett Impressions (Perma Merge)

WarGhost21

21 minutes ago, stitches said:

Another game where he looked much better in the first 35 minutes or so and then couldn't complete a pass to save his life. He was having a very nice outing in the first half or so, I thought - he completed some long passes, he kept plays alive and made some plays out of structure. This game is hard to give much of the blame to Jacoby, simply because the pass defense and defensive playcalling was the trashiest I've seen recently. It rivaled anything Pagano ever did.

With that said, the inaccuracy in ball placement and continuous rifling of passes without much of any touch put on the ball was part of the reason we couldn't complete some important 3d and 4th downs. On the last couple of drives he threw like... 4-5 badly inaccurate passes and got lucky that at least couple of them didn't get intercepted.

Have to love that he shook off his shyness when it comes to throwing it downfield. He has the arm to do it, wish he had better anticipation and timing, he could be a special thrower if he did... Unfortunately, this is part of the game that rarely if ever improves significantly. 

Yeah I agree that there is blame to go all around. Eberflus’ shortcomings aren’t discussed enough. His zone is always getting shredded. But I think that anyone who believes that if we just fix everything around Jacoby the team will be a perennial contender is kidding themselves. This team needs several upgrades and coaching should be called into question, but the QB position has to be upgraded.

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am not sure why some would think giving him another year to see how he "grows" would do any good?  What indication is there he will ever get any better?  Most good QBs, you see the potential sprinkled in with bad plays.  They eventually bring the bad plays down.  I haven't seen any potential in Brissett.  He is hesitant to throw unless a receiver is wide open, he stares down receivers, and is too quick to check down.  I think it would be insane to go into next year with only him at QB and think he is going to be better.  2017 and 2019 looks like mirror images on offense with different coaches but the same QB.  That is who Brissett is.  What do you expect?  He was a 3rd round pick with limited upside.  I think some listened to the hype machine of the Colts.  They had to save face with Luck retiring.

7 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Yeah I agree that there is blame to go all around. Eberflus’ shortcomings aren’t discussed enough. His zone is always getting shredded. But I think that anyone who believes that if we just fix everything around Jacoby the team will be a perennial contender is kidding themselves. This team needs several upgrades and coaching should be called into question, but the QB position has to be upgraded.

The thing is... I actually feel like Eberflus has had a pretty good season so far, before this game. Every once in a while though, he would have one of those games where we are getting absolutely cut up by the opposing QB and he would have either zero idea or zero desire of actually adjusting and trying something else. 

9 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

2017 and 2019 looks like mirror images on offense with different coaches but the same QB

OK that's just nonsense.

There shouldn't be a bunch of hate directed at Brissett.  he did his job this time.  In fact this game was his best performance in awhile.

Other things went wrong around him but Brissett put up enough points to win.  That's his job

This stuff just happens to young teams.  One thing gets going 2 other things break down.  Its one of the most hair-pullingly frustrating parts of having a young football team that's trying to mature as a unit.

If young players always developed smoothly and reached their potential on schedule there would be no need for veterans.

This was a designed as a prove it game for Brissett.  Been a couple weeks of "chunk play" talk.  This game was schemed, called, and played with that in mind.

They have internal metrics as to the success and failure parameters.  Weve been told as much.  I dont think W's or L's are that important organizationally anymore. 

Brissett is under heavy scrutiny though.  That much I know.  I think new Orleans is a big one for him to put it all together.  After that I'm ready to see Kelly, then the big board.  

I expect its jacoby's job to lose this offseason, but (as an alternative) I dont think a huge fa acquisition and a high draft pick are outta the question either.....

Such a weird year, I still think as a franchise were in good hands tho.

1 hour ago, The Fish said:

Just so we're clear.. There's not many people on earth who can play this game really well at the QB position. 

There's a very real chance JB is our guy next year and maybe even longer, just because it's not obvious that there's another guy to be had who'd demonstrably better.

I get the argument for drafting someone, but there's lot's of dud's to be had at a high price there. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. 

A rookie 'dud' QB would cost a pittance of who our 21M backup QB will cost us.

24 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

A rookie 'dud' QB would cost a pittance of who our 21M backup QB will cost us.

That's fair. I don't think cash is the issue though and one doesn't preclude the other, I'm guessing there's going to be a QB drafted. I think JB's rope is longer than some think with Ballard/Reich though so I'd be surprised if he's not the guy going into next season at the least. 

From.Sports Illustrated...

NFL Week 14 Preview: Why Brissett Is Still the Colts’ Future

1. I had a hunch that Jacoby Brissett wouldn’t be Andrew Luck. My first clue was that they spell and pronounce their names differently. Ten full games into his first full season as a starter, Brissett has shown that he isn’t an MVP-caliber quarterback like Luck. But he has shown that he's the quarterback of the future in Indy.

The narrative of Brissett not being good enough has grown out of a combination of bad breaks, unrealistic expectations after two decades of Manning/Luck, and the unquenchable thirst for bad takes. During what has been a relative slump, the Colts have been without their top-two passing-game weapons (T.Y. Hilton and Eric Ebron) and arguably their top three or four if you include Parris Campbell and Devin Funchess. Before the receiving corps deteriorated due to injury, the Colts were sitting at 5-2 and Brissett was on pace for 3,600 yards, 32 TD passes and a 99.3 passer rating. Now left with Zach Pascal and the Funky Bunch, Brissett would surely kill for the kind of talent Tom Brady has with the slumping Patriots at the moment.

Then there was the injury to Brissett himself, which has shaded this season. Had he not sprained his MCL in Pittsburgh and finished the de-pantsing of the Steelers rather than turning it over to Brian Hoyer to, well, turn it over for the remainder of that game as well as the next one (an upset loss to Miami), Indy would be sitting at 8-4 right now. If their kicking game hadn’t devolved at a stunning rate (if you project points-per-kick based on league-average rates from inside-50-yard attempts, 50-plus attempts and PATs, Adam Vinatieri is a league-worst -11.9 on the year while opposing kickers against the Colts are +7.4, fourth-best in the league), you could probably push that record to at least 9-3 (there were particularly egregious, arguably game-costing misses in losses to the Chargers in Week 1, and last week to Tennessee).

And, at the risk of getting too anecdotal, if Hilton, playing through injury, doesn’t have two crushing drops on a Thursday night at Houston (or if safety Malik Hooker doesn’t spend that night wandering aimlessly around the field as if he had stared into the eyes of the Hypnotoad), the Colts have a season sweep of the Texans and control of the AFC South.

At this point in his career, Brissett is a high-end game manager. He has the potential to develop into much more. Since the last time we saw him, he's become a faster processor. The arm talent, underrated touch and functional mobility aren't going anywhere. Giving up on him because of that one time he forced a throw that got intercepted while trailing late, while playing with a third-quarter-of-a-preseason-game receiving corps, is crazy talk. Almost as crazy as continuing to refer back to the 2017 season when he was thrown into the fire 15 days after he was acquired, surrounded by a Grigsonian roster (it’s like the folks who doubted Lamar Jackson as a passer based on his performance last season, or Aaron Rodgers after he struggled in mop-up duty his first two seasons, or Peyton Manning after he threw a ton of interceptions as a rookie—young players often improve, and Brissett has already).

If the Chiefs come calling with an offer of Mahomes for Margus Hunt, sure, go for it, but the thought of tabbing some toolsy prospect who was erratic at the collegiate level to replace the toolsy quarterback who was developing into a stud before injuries struck is nuttier than a facility that processes tree nuts. The Colts already have their quarterback of the future.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/12/08/nfl-week-14-preview-analysis

4 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

1. I had a hunch that Jacoby Brissett wouldn’t be Andrew Luck. My first clue was that they spell and pronounce their names differently. Ten full games into his first full season as a starter, Brissett has shown that he isn’t an MVP-caliber quarterback like Luck. But he has shown that he's the quarterback of the future in Indy.

The narrative of Brissett not being good enough has grown out of a combination of bad breaks, unrealistic expectations after two decades of Manning/Luck, and the unquenchable thirst for bad takes. During what has been a relative slump, the Colts have been without their top-two passing-game weapons (T.Y. Hilton and Eric Ebron) and arguably their top three or four if you include Parris Campbell and Devin Funchess. Before the receiving corps deteriorated due to injury, the Colts were sitting at 5-2 and Brissett was on pace for 3,600 yards, 32 TD passes and a 99.3 passer rating. Now left with Zach Pascal and the Funky Bunch, Brissett would surely kill for the kind of talent Tom Brady has with the slumping Patriots at the moment.

Then there was the injury to Brissett himself, which has shaded this season. Had he not sprained his MCL in Pittsburgh and finished the de-pantsing of the Steelers rather than turning it over to Brian Hoyer to, well, turn it over for the remainder of that game as well as the next one (an upset loss to Miami), Indy would be sitting at 8-4 right now. If their kicking game hadn’t devolved at a stunning rate (if you project points-per-kick based on league-average rates from inside-50-yard attempts, 50-plus attempts and PATs, Adam Vinatieri is a league-worst -11.9 on the year while opposing kickers against the Colts are +7.4, fourth-best in the league), you could probably push that record to at least 9-3 (there were particularly egregious, arguably game-costing misses in losses to the Chargers in Week 1, and last week to Tennessee).

And, at the risk of getting too anecdotal, if Hilton, playing through injury, doesn’t have two crushing drops on a Thursday night at Houston (or if safety Malik Hooker doesn’t spend that night wandering aimlessly around the field as if he had stared into the eyes of the Hypnotoad), the Colts have a season sweep of the Texans and control of the AFC South.

At this point in his career, Brissett is a high-end game manager. He has the potential to develop into much more. Since the last time we saw him, he's become a faster processor. The arm talent, underrated touch and functional mobility aren't going anywhere. Giving up on him because of that one time he forced a throw that got intercepted while trailing late, while playing with a third-quarter-of-a-preseason-game receiving corps, is crazy talk. Almost as crazy as continuing to refer back to the 2017 season when he was thrown into the fire 15 days after he was acquired, surrounded by a Grigsonian roster (it’s like the folks who doubted Lamar Jackson as a passer based on his performance last season, or Aaron Rodgers after he struggled in mop-up duty his first two seasons, or Peyton Manning after he threw a ton of interceptions as a rookie—young players often improve, and Brissett has already).

If the Chiefs come calling with an offer of Mahomes for Margus Hunt, sure, go for it, but the thought of tabbing some toolsy prospect who was erratic at the collegiate level to replace the toolsy quarterback who was developing into a stud before injuries struck is nuttier than a facility that processes tree nuts. The Colts already have their quarterback of the future.

Man that is a bad article.

What is so frustrating about Jacoby is you see that beautiful pass to pascal over two defenders in the corner of the end zone. If he could just be consistent and have more throws like that he would be the guy.  He did great with the deep balls yesterday but was inaccurate on a lot of throws We see glimpses of touch and anticipation but it isn’t consistent. That is very frustrating.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

What is so frustrating about Jacoby is you see that beautiful pass to pascal over two defenders in the corner of the end zone. If he could just be consistent and have more throws like that he would be the guy.  He did great with the deep balls yesterday but was inaccurate on a lot of throws We see glimpses of touch and anticipation but it isn’t consistent. That is very frustrating.

I think Jacoby has the intelligence and talent (I could be wrong on this), but he's picked up some very bad habits (I'm confident I'm right on this). It's going to take a lot of dedication, work and practice to break the bad habits, and replace them with good habits. Over the offseason, we'll see.

14 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

I think Jacoby has the intelligence and talent (I could be wrong on this), but he's picked up some very bad habits (I'm confident I'm right on this). It's going to take a lot of dedication, work and practice to break the bad habits, and replace them with good habits. Over the offseason, we'll see.

I think knowing your the guy going into the offseason will probably make him work a lot harder in the off season. I do think if he does start next season there will be improvements. It’s hard to break a mentality your a backup. The fact we have seen glimpses if he works hard in the off season I think some of it can be corrected.

34 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

he can throw a hell of a ball if the WR is wide the hell open but so can 95% of the league

11 minutes ago, DEFENSE said:

wrong!!!! that article is spot on no matter what our forums famous keyboard coaches think. jb will be our starter next season.

This article is as if someone read this forum...got mad...and then took all of the JB excuses and decided to combine them into one angry apologetic mess. It's not objective at all...and reads like something that I might find on a Stampede Blue.

I honestly can't believe there isn't at least one paragraph in that article devoted to leadership.

But he does manage to pull out all the other tired tropes...JB's "first full season as a starter" (that's actually a new one and while technically true...it just ridiculous technicality to use for a guy who had 17 starts before this season)...tossing aside 2017 as if it didn't happen...bad WR corps, including using Funchess' absence as an excuse (even though nobody cared that he was gone when people were praising JB earlier in the season)...using Ebron as an excuse (who has missed what...like two games)...the kicking game (this one's fair in regards to the W/L record...but has nothing to do with JB's performance at QB)...the MCL injury (his regression started long before this)...somehow blaming Hoyer for the PIT loss (he even says that JB was "de-pantsing" PIT after completing 4 passes...lol)...and finally, completely writing off JB's late-game INTs. 

He also does one of my personal favorites (and a popular one here)...he cherry-picks an arbitrary point in the season and then extrapolates it out (in this case...of course he uses after the first HOU game...as it was JB's best and most productive game of the season...and really the only truly good one since the ATL game). 

But I can play the arbitrary game too...except I am going to use the last 8 games (I will even throw out the PIT game since he didn't play but one series and include the OAK game...which was a productive game). Extrapolated out over 16 games...here is that line vs. 2017.

2019 sample = 316/528, 3,582 yards, 59.8%, 22 TDs (4.2%), 10 INTs (1.9%), ~84-85 passer rating

2017 season = 276/469, 3098 yards, 58.8%, 13 TDs (2.8%), 7 INTs (1.5%), 82 passer rating

This is the guy that is the future of the Colts?

Lots of similarites in those stat lines...and a lot of meh as well. The increases are basically the result of a better offensive system (which would help any QB), more passing attempts (hence more yards) and a nice increase in TD%...likely due to RZ playcalling/TD distribution (55%, or 12, of those passing TDs would have come from within the 5 yard line...in 2017 JB had 1 such passing TD...and only 3 passing TDs in the RZ).

Of course, this comparison is irrelevant because the writer would excuse every game outside of HOU and ATL.

But the stat line is only one part...as so many here have pointed out over and over again. There are glaring issues that the writer doesn't even acknowledge. Just a bad article all around.

At the beginning of the year, I saw a QB that would take what the D was giving him, and even lead the O on drives to tie a game or preserve the W.  These last 3 weeks game endings have soured me on that take.

The Saints game will seal my final assessment if he can't compete and make a game tying/winning drive as necessary.

40 minutes ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

My honest impression of Jacoby is that he is aware. He's intellegent enough to know he has defenciencies and plays that to his advantage. He lilots hos mistakes by being cautious. But he will always be an average mediocre QB. A+ game manager C+ ceiling. 

He limits mistakes being cautious of his lack of deep throwing ability.

Those stats go back to not running the ball in critical situations. We are supposed to have a good oline. The oline needs to be able to take over in the fourth when you have the lead. Yes it’s on Jacoby but it also goes back to coaching. Last year in the playoff game against the Texans we ran it  down their throats in the fourth quarter.

22 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

It does also go back to its easy to stop the run when the QB isn’t respected. When the season started I thought not having luck could hurt the run game. We might have more yards but we can’t run it when it counts.  

Rushing in 2019 compared to 2018 the Colts have:

A better Y/A 

A better 1st down %

On average 5 more rushing attempts per game

So I'd call bogus on the above, which lends weight to the line not being as much of a problem as people have tried to make out. We're rushing more efficiently, we're rushing more, despite not posing as much of a deep threat.

Interestingly to the last point, teams don't really stack the box against us, Mack has only seen 8 in the box on 11% of his snaps. The league high is 40%.. I'll let people guess which RB that is (they do have over 150 rushing attempts). 

1 hour ago, stitches said:

Just to add onto the defense of the D (not that they played very well or anything, but still...)

17 of the 28 offensive points scored were in large part thanks to the defense forcing a TO in Tampa Bay's territory. We only scored 11 points on drives starting from our own territory. And that's been a huge problem in games where we can't get anything on the ground.

I think JB has digressed in recent games.  Maybe it's the knee or some other injury.  He just looks tired and worn.  I hope our GM has not put all the eggs in the JB basket.  I know they gave him a 3 year 30 mill contract but we may need to look to the draft for a long term franchise QB.   

44 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

Rushing in 2019 compared to 2018 the Colts have:

A better Y/A 

A better 1st down %

On average 5 more rushing attempts per game

So I'd call bogus on the above, which lends weight to the line not being as much of a problem as people have tried to make out. We're rushing more efficiently, we're rushing more, despite not posing as much of a deep threat.

Interestingly to the last point, teams don't really stack the box against us, Mack has only seen 8 in the box on 11% of his snaps. The league high is 40%.. I'll let people guess which RB that is (they do have over 150 rushing attempts). 

We aren’t able to run when we need to. Not really talking about stats for the entire year. You have to be able to run when your up 14 in the 4th. Some of  that is not trying to run and using imagination of how you run. Part of the issue is coaching in the 4th.  The oline needs to be able to take over in the 4th so we can run it down their their throat. We should be mostly runs with a 14 or lead in the fourth.

17 hours ago, 1959Colts said:

This message has been paid for by the Jacoby Brissett fan club.

What a load of nonsense.

Brissett looks the same as he did in college and in 2017.   The mechanics are the same, the deficiencies are the same and the yards per game are the same.  

33 minutes ago, Bulky Boy said:

I think JB has digressed in recent games.  Maybe it's the knee or some other injury.  He just looks tired and worn.  I hope our GM has not put all the eggs in the JB basket.  I know they gave him a 3 year 30 mill contract but we may need to look to the draft for a long term franchise QB.   

It’s only a two year deal. It expires after next  season.

8 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

We aren’t able to run when we need to. Not really talking about stats for the entire year. You have to be able to run when your up 14 in the 4th. Some of  that is not trying to run and using imagination of how you run. Part of the issue is coaching in the 4th.  The oline needs to be able to take over in the 4th so we can run it down their their throat. We should be mostly runs with a 14 or lead in the fourth.

So you're talking one quarter, from one game against one of the better run defenses in the league. 

6 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

So you're talking one quarter, from one game against one of the better run defenses in the league. 

Looking back at the Texans playoff game last year all I remember is how we ran it down their throats in the fourth quarter to run time off the clock and secure the lead. The run game has had games where it looked unstoppable but has also disappeared at times when it is needed. It’s just confusing why it has been so inconsistent this year.  I don’t get it. 

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You seem hung up on the 4th quarter Chloe. you didn't respond to this in another thread:

Interesting fact I came across today .Leading after 3 quarters, here is the percentage of games lost by Colt QBs:

Manning-6.7% (14/208)

Luck-       3.5% (3/86)

Brissett- 25.9% (7/27

Reich only has been his coach 1 year. Pagano the other year.

3 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

You seem hung up on the 4th quarter Chloe. you didn't respond to this in another thread:

Interesting fact I came across today .Leading after 3 quarters, here is the percentage of games lost by Colt QBs:

Manning-6.7% (14/208)

Luck-       3.5% (3/86)

Brissett- 25.9% (7/27

Reich only has been his coach 1 year. Pagano the other year.

I get it. I am just confused why we haven’t been able to run when we need to. We should be running a lot more in the 4th with that lead. I am just confused why the run game has been inconsistent. We have games it looks u stoppable and games where we can’t run at all. It’s just confusing. That’s what Reich said he wanted this year. Being able to run when you have to. That shouldn’t happen with this oline.

On 12/8/2019 at 2:27 PM, coltfaninnewyork said:

Ok so now Cain is ballin out with Steelers,further proof brisett not good .

Cain has 3 catches for 62 yards... in three games. He is most decidedly not "ballin out," and certainly isn't proving anything pertaining to Brissett or the Colts.

Archived