Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts should trade back a few spots in the first round if...

1 hour ago, jskinnz said:

what if at the time of their pick, a WR is the highest rated player?  You would pass for what they have rated as an inferior player. 

The receiver pool in this draft is very deep. If the wideout was the last elite player I had rated as such on the board I may pull the trigger but if all things are equal I’m going trenches. That mindset can change from draft to draft but in 2020 IDL isn’t as deep as WR. And I’m not opposed to going OT if he’s borderline elite.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Vexed said:

The receiver pool in this draft is very deep. If the wideout was the last elite player I had rated as such on the board I may pull the trigger but if all things are equal I’m going trenches. That mindset can change from draft to draft but in 2020 IDL isn’t as deep as WR. And I’m not opposed to going OT if he’s borderline elite.

That is reasonable. 

I have no insight to their draft board. It very well could be that it turns out to be a repeat of 2019 where they had so many players rated close together that a trade back to get an extra pick made sense to them. 

But I just believe blanket statements like “stay awAy from position x” in round one are pointless. In this case, WR is a glaring need. Plus who know how they have their board stacked. It may just be an instance where need and BPA lead to the same guy. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jskinnz said:

That is reasonable. 

I have no insight to their draft board. It very well could be that it turns out to be a repeat of 2019 where they had so many players rated close together that a trade back to get an extra pick made sense to them. 

But I just believe blanket statements like “stay awAy from position x” in round one are pointless. In this case, WR is a glaring need. Plus who know how they have their board stacked. It may just be an instance where need and BPA lead to the same guy. 

I’ll give you that we could use some fresh blood at WR.... and I would not object to CB double dipping in later rounds on them. But we should really get our future LT and the interior DL in the early rounds, but I’m just stubborn that way. There may even be some interesting prospects that go undrafted at WR it’s so deep. But I’ve been wrong before. Calling me reasonable is quite the compliment on this forum... so cheers for that JS.

Personally, I see Kinlaw's draft stock continually rising. If we trade back from 13, I don't expect him to last but a couple picks at most. If we trade back at all in this draft I hope it would only be because the QB we want isn't available at 13 and we don't like anyone else after that. then we consider trading back and getting ammunition for next year. Even then I don't feel thrilled by that. Kinlaw is very worthy of the 13th pick and he won't last long after imo.

On 1/19/2020 at 6:20 PM, indyagent17 said:

If Javon kinlaw is still on the board at 13 the Colts be wise to go back a few spots and still take him. The upside here is that there are quite a few very solid defensive tackles in this draft. I do not want to see a quarterback drafted in the first round unless it's the right one for the future, not a reach

Dumb.... if you love a player you never move back and hope he’s going to be there... you take him... there are 31 other teams that could jump you if you trade back... 

On 1/20/2020 at 6:05 AM, Dingus McGirt said:

Do we, as fans, want to settle for "solid?"

If we get a franchise QB in the process, then yes, I'll absolutely settle for a solid nose tackle. I don't care how well a team drafts, expecting to have the best player in the league at every single position is just not realistic.

On 1/19/2020 at 6:20 PM, indyagent17 said:

If Javon kinlaw is still on the board at 13 the Colts be wise to go back a few spots and still take him. The upside here is that there are quite a few very solid defensive tackles in this draft. I do not want to see a quarterback drafted in the first round unless it's the right one for the future, not a reach

this years class of qbs all seem like reaches in the first round

• Like 1