Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
indyagent17

The Colts should trade back a few spots in the first round if...

Recommended Posts

If Javon kinlaw is still on the board at 13 the Colts be wise to go back a few spots and still take him. The upside here is that there are quite a few very solid defensive tackles in this draft. I do not want to see a quarterback drafted in the first round unless it's the right one for the future, not a reach

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

If Javon kinlaw is still on the board at 13 the Colts be wise to go back a few spots and still take him. The upside here is that there are quite a few very solid defensive tackles in this draft. I do not want to see a quarterback drafted in the first round unless it's the right one for the future, not a reach

I agree if Derrick Brown is gone.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I want BPA unless it’s O-line then trade back. For a team that didn’t even make the playoffs we need best talent possible. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

If Javon kinlaw is still on the board at 13 the Colts be wise to go back a few spots and still take him. The upside here is that there are quite a few very solid defensive tackles in this draft. I do not want to see a quarterback drafted in the first round unless it's the right one for the future, not a reach

My issue with this is the Denver Broncos at 15. They will take Kinlaw at 15 if he's there IMO. Since the receiver class is deep and they have two extra 3rd round picks, they will probably take a receiver later. We can probably get Kinlaw, but it'll have to be at 13.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I agree if Derrick Brown is gone.

Or if both Lamb and Jeudy are gone also. Would love Lamb as this team’s future #1 WR. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would still take a QB at 13, we have two picks in the 2nd, they'll have solid DL still available to pick.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

If Javon kinlaw is still on the board at 13 the Colts be wise to go back a few spots and still take him. The upside here is that there are quite a few very solid defensive tackles in this draft. I do not want to see a quarterback drafted in the first round unless it's the right one for the future, not a reach

So if Ballard drafts a QB in the first round will you consider the pick as being a reach or will have Ballard picked the right one for the future?  You can't have it both ways.  If he picks one in the first I say he picking our QB for the future. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

I would still take a QB at 13, we have two picks in the 2nd, they'll have solid DL still available to pick.  

At this point you would be happy just to take just any QB with the 13th pick? 

I am sure glad we have a GM that looks at everything instead of listening to an unhappy fan base. 

  • Like 5
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The FA DL group could end up being pretty strong. Personally, I would prefer to go that route first. I think grabbing an IDL player early is a good bet...but I think the Colts should be looking to build up their offense in this draft.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If all 4 of Herbert, Love, Kinlaw and Derrick Brown are off the board by 13, I'd advocate that because they can still get a quality player for their defense or WR in the 20s.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it possible we could get Love with the 34th pick?  I have no problem with trading back a few, but I feel a defensive tackle who can pressure the qb is our most pressing need and I think we should address that before anything else.  Would love to get Love in the 2nd if we could.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, chrisbeldridge said:

Is it possible we could get Love with the 34th pick?  I have no problem with trading back a few, but I feel a defensive tackle who can pressure the qb is our most pressing need and I think we should address that before anything else.  Would love to get Love in the 2nd if we could.

Agreed

 

    I think a good  to great QB should be available at 34 or CB could trade back into the 1st to grab one

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Agreed

 

    I think a good  to great QB should be available at 34 or CB could trade back into the 1st to grab one

I think today's win by the 49ers shows us that you don't need a great QB to reach the SB

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

I think today's win by the 49ers shows us that you don't need a great QB to reach the SB

Or win one see Baltimore, TB, Chicago

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thought Aikman's comment that he won 3 SB because of an aggressive run game and strong defence was interesting from the perspective of reaching to get a QB.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

Thought Aikman's comment that he won 3 SB because of an aggressive run game and strong defence was interesting from the perspective of reaching to get a QB.

Remember....   Aikmans big super bowl years were early-mid 90’s.   The offensive game if football has changed dramatically since then.   With rules favoring offense in general and especially the passing game in the last 20 years or so.... 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember....   Aikmans big super bowl years were early-mid 90’s.   The offensive game if football has changed dramatically since then.   With rules favoring offense in general and especially the passing game in the last 20 years or so.... 

 

Well, whatever SF is doing.... they’re doing extremely well.

 

At the same time we’re seeing this punishing ground game and stifling defense.... Jimmy G is plenty capable enough and on the same page with the likes of Greg Kittle, Emanuel Sanders and now Deebo Samuel to where when they need a chunk play through the air.... they usually get it.

 

They are incredibly balanced on both sides of the ball.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember....   Aikmans big super bowl years were early-mid 90’s.   The offensive game of football has changed dramatically since then.   With rules favoring offense in general and especially the passing game in the last 20 years or so.... 

 

NO MESSAGE 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember....   Aikmans big super bowl years were early-mid 90’s.   The offensive game if football has changed dramatically since then.   With rules favoring offense in general and especially the passing game in the last 20 years or so.... 

 

One thing most forget about Aikman is he was pounded into the ground and out of the league. 

I thought him and Jim Kelly were made of steel. 

Guys like those two is why we have rules to protect the franchise QBs today.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone get the feeling that this draft may lean towards fixing the offense side of the ball whereas years past the draft capital has been invested more into the defense?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

I would still take a QB at 13, we have two picks in the 2nd, they'll have solid DL still available to pick.  

Do we, as fans, want to settle for "solid?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, chrisbeldridge said:

Is it possible we could get Love with the 34th pick?  I have no problem with trading back a few, but I feel a defensive tackle who can pressure the qb is our most pressing need and I think we should address that before anything else.  Would love to get Love in the 2nd if we could.

It’s very possible unless Love tears it up at the combine and interview process. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Brown or Simmons is available at "10" I would actually prefer to move up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I think today's win by the 49ers shows us that you don't need a great QB to reach the SB


but apparently you do need an inept defensive plan to go against along with an inability to adjust.  Not sure that is something you can count on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

Thought Aikman's comment that he won 3 SB because of an aggressive run game and strong defence was interesting from the perspective of reaching to get a QB.


Yes but look at AFC qbs in the Super Bowl since 2003. This coming game will be just the 2nd since then where it is not Brady, manning or Big Ben. Kind of speaks to the value of a franchise qb. Hard to win consistently without one. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Well, whatever SF is doing.... they’re doing extremely well.

 

At the same time we’re seeing this punishing ground game and stifling defense.... Jimmy G is plenty capable enough and on the same page with the likes of Greg Kittle, Emanuel Sanders and now Deebo Samuel to where when they need a chunk play through the air.... they usually get it.

 

They are incredibly balanced on both sides of the ball.

Ah yes.  Skill position players that matter.   And none are first rounders?

 

It would be nice if the Colts had three players like that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

Does anyone get the feeling that this draft may lean towards fixing the offense side of the ball whereas years past the draft capital has been invested more into the defense?

I think he needs to find a stud DT in either the draft or FA.  But yes, the rest will be skill position offensive players, IMO.  Probably including QB.

 

We have Leonard, Okereke, Turay, Ben, Rock, Tell, and Willis.  All are guys that Ballard isn't going to replace just yet by investing good capital in those positions this year.  Come draft time, if BPA is at one of those positions, he'll probably try to trade down, IMO.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I think today's win by the 49ers shows us that you don't need a great QB to reach the SB

 

Jimmy G was drafted pretty high, hes not a great argument for taking a QB late in the draft or not reaching for one.  the 49s gave a high second for him 

 

someone like jordan love could be better than him too

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think he needs to find a stud DT in either the draft or FA.  But yes, the rest will be skill position offensive players, IMO.  Probably including QB.

 

We have Leonard, Okereke, Turay, Ben, Rock, Tell, and Willis.  All are guys that Ballard isn't going to replace just yet by investing good capital in those positions this year.  Come draft time, if BPA is at one of those positions, he'll probably try to trade down, IMO.  

I can agree with you that we have to get the DT spot fixed one way or the other and I personally don’t care if it’s our first draft pick or best FA DT on the board that fits our scheme. If we don’t fix that space, our defense is not going to hold scoring teams enough at bay and getting avg to above avg play from our QB will not be adequate enough. Prime Manning and Harrison and Edge ain’t coming back nor is Luck so I say we resolve the defense first as we look to improve the QB spot and develop it. 
 

and for the love of god, can we use more power scheme blocking for our offensive line and less zone type crap. We have a few maulers, let’s use that to run over people. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I can agree with you that we have to get the DT spot fixed one way or the other and I personally don’t care if it’s our first draft pick or best FA DT on the board that fits our scheme. If we don’t fix that space, our defense is not going to hold scoring teams enough at bay and getting avg to above avg play from our QB will not be adequate enough. Prime Manning and Harrison and Edge ain’t coming back nor is Luck so I say we resolve the defense first as we look to improve the QB spot and develop it. 
 

and for the love of god, can we use more power scheme blocking for our offensive line and less zone type crap. We have a few maulers, let’s use that to run over people. 

As you know, the NFL doesn't allow teams to spend enough to fill every position with all pros, so we have to choose where to put them, and then use those positions to build around.

 

We have excessive talent at the LG spot.  It would be a waste to now build a team around a Mahomes type of QB who needs a LG to only hold a block for 2 seconds, within an O that does not feature power running.

 

We should build it like the Titans or 49ers.  Game manager Qbs who can come up big when it matters but not a QB who the team has to rely upon virtually every play to succeed.

 

If people want that type of O, then we should probably trade Nelson to get more capital to then get that QB. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

As you know, the NFL doesn't allow teams to spend enough to fill every position with all pros, so we have to choose where to put them, and then use those positions to build around.

 

We have excessive talent at the LG spot.  It would be a waste to now build a team around a Mahomes type of QB who needs a LG to only hold a block for 2 seconds, within an O that does not feature power running.

 

We should build it like the Titans or 49ers.  Game manager Qbs who can come up big when it matters but not a QB who the team has to rely upon virtually every play to succeed.

 

If people want that type of O, then we should probably trade Nelson to get more capital to then get that QB. 

We don’t even have an above avg game manager, we at least need to fix that starting point. I’m more than fine with having an oline who shreds big open holes consistently for the run game and allow the QB to PAP off of that into wide open zones to our TE’s or quick hitters with our speedy guys. JB doesn’t give us that even very well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

We don’t even have an above avg game manager, we at least need to fix that starting point. I’m more than fine with having an oline who shreds big open holes consistently for the run game and allow the QB to PAP off of that into wide open zones to our TE’s or quick hitters with our speedy guys. JB doesn’t give us that even very well. 

Yeah, who the best QB for the O is, is another debate. 

 

My point is that as soon as Ballard hires Reich to run a quicker paced O than what we had, he drafts a LG who can give us a pocket for 6 seconds, IOW, a pocket perfect for a long developing Chud/Arians or Manning type of O.  Or a Tennessee type of O with power blocking (and CB said that he likes the way TN and BUF have built their teams).

 

KC does not have a great Oline.  They make up for that by having a QB who makes having a great oline a fairly decent waste of capital.

 

Sorry folks, I just don't see us getting a Mahomes-like  star QB, given where we have already invested our recent draft capital and Ballard's comments

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  I can't see us trading back if an elite graded player is available, but the right offer could do it.

 CB will attempt fixing our interior DL and he won't wait for the draft to do it. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

I would still take a QB at 13, we have two picks in the 2nd, they'll have solid DL still available to pick.  

I would take a QB in the second.  We aren't as desperate to upgrade at QB as people think we are, and nothing we're likely to be able to acquire in the draft is going to be an immediate upgrade anyway. 

 

Pick up a guy who can understudy for a year and be productive in 2021.  It's what's going to wind up happening anyway IMHO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

It’s very possible unless Love tears it up at the combine and interview process. 

Therein lies the issue I have with Love. If he does well at the combine and interviews, he’ll be a higher pick, but still not worth the 13th. If he doesn’t, then do you really want to waste the 2nd pick on day 2 on a guy who has some bad stats and games and didn’t show up to the combine? It’s a big mess

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

 

  I can't see us trading back if an elite graded player is available, but the right offer could do it.

 CB will attempt fixing our interior DL and he won't wait for the draft to do it. 

 

I agree and hope you’re right. I would hope he spends money in FA if for no other reason than signing Chris Jones. Then in the draft try and score Brown or Kinlaw and then double dip on that position a little later as well. Then.... we’re on our way, IMO.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just feel like if we came away from the draft with a DT, QB, WR, TE from the first 2 rounds of the draft, then that would be awesome. And with the ability to trade back in the first (maybe Philly's 21 and 53 overall), the Colts could also do something like the Redskins did last year which is trade their 44th pick and next year 2nd for around pick 26ish. Giving the Colts potential selections 21, 26, 34, and 53 to come away the likes of Cole Kmet, QB of Ballard's liking to groom (with 5th year option), Justin Jefferson, and Neville Gallimore.

 

Which would allow for next season's draft to be OL and more Defense.

 

Granted this scenario all blows up if A) Anthony Castonzo retires, B) Derrick Brown is still at pick 13, C) What happens in Free Agency

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

1 hour ago, Vexed said:

I agree and hope you’re right. I would hope he spends money in FA if for no other reason than signing Chris Jones. Then in the draft try and score Brown or Kinlaw and then double dip on that position a little later as well. Then.... we’re on our way, IMO.

 

This....  if we can sign a difference maker like Jones then we can pick a wideout in the first.  Another DT in the second.  If we can't sign Jones then I would only trade down if Brown AND Kinlaw are off the board.

 

Joseph

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, DougDew said:

Ah yes.  Skill position players that matter.   And none are first rounders?

 

It would be nice if the Colts had three players like that.

 we could have had Sanders if Ballard pull the trigger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

 

 

This....  if we can sign a difference maker like Jones then we can pick a wideout in the first.  Another DT in the second.  If we can't sign Jones then I would only trade down if Brown AND Kinlaw are off the board.

 

Joseph

No receivers in the first round...... please and thank you.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Yea, no way to predict injuries... with a healthy Funchess, Campbell, and Fountain to compliment TY, that group hypothetically should be pretty solid.   I thought Campbell really showed strides in improving his game throughout the season, though it was unfortunate that every time he showed glimpses of what he may become, he would get re-injured.  And Funchess from pre-season and the little bit we saw of him in game 1 looked to have pretty solid chemistry with Brissett.   From a recent interview, it sounds like Ballard wants Funchess back.  If we can't sign him before the draft, I expect we'll get a big-bodied guy there.  I tend to think we're going to draft one either way.   Jacoby's play definitely declined after week 6 last year (he had 14 of his 18 TDs in the first 6 games).  Obviously, he was a step back from Luck.  However, I still can't pinpoint his decline over the season.  Was it a) he had a lack of targets due to all our injuries? b) Jacoby's knee injury taking some zip off his throws? c) teams figuring out how to game plan against him, or d) Jacoby just not being all that good of a QB?    My guess is, all 4 factored into that... I certainly think he would've been a little better without the injuries and with a better WR corps, but can't say how much.  That said, I don't think the lack of talent at WR last year was due to CB not trying to build that position group anywhere near as much as it was due to unexpected injuries.
    • Give the raiders some pass rush help   Raiders select K'lavon Chaisson   Jags are up
    • Dolphins select Tristan Wirfs OT  Raiders next
    • Maybe a weird pick for the cowboys, but this is BPA and make their LB Corp elite.   Cowboys select Isiah Simmons   Dolphins are up
    • Falcons take Xavier Mckinney  Cowboys next
  • Members

    • cjrichard

      cjrichard 89

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • shastamasta

      shastamasta 2,243

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Thunderbolt

      Thunderbolt 209

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • CR91

      CR91 9,385

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Aces101

      Aces101 112

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • buccolts

      buccolts 3,859

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Hoose

      Hoose 885

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ClaytonColt

      ClaytonColt 460

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsGermany

      ColtsGermany 215

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • PrestonColt

      PrestonColt 0

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...