Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Colts should trade back a few spots in the first round if...

If Javon kinlaw is still on the board at 13 the Colts be wise to go back a few spots and still take him. The upside here is that there are quite a few very solid defensive tackles in this draft. I do not want to see a quarterback drafted in the first round unless it's the right one for the future, not a reach

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

If Javon kinlaw is still on the board at 13 the Colts be wise to go back a few spots and still take him. The upside here is that there are quite a few very solid defensive tackles in this draft. I do not want to see a quarterback drafted in the first round unless it's the right one for the future, not a reach

I agree if Derrick Brown is gone.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, indyagent17 said:

My issue with this is the Denver Broncos at 15. They will take Kinlaw at 15 if he's there IMO. Since the receiver class is deep and they have two extra 3rd round picks, they will probably take a receiver later. We can probably get Kinlaw, but it'll have to be at 13.

3 hours ago, indyagent17 said:

So if Ballard drafts a QB in the first round will you consider the pick as being a reach or will have Ballard picked the right one for the future?  You can't have it both ways.  If he picks one in the first I say he picking our QB for the future. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Thunderbolt said:

I would still take a QB at 13, we have two picks in the 2nd, they'll have solid DL still available to pick.  

At this point you would be happy just to take just any QB with the 13th pick? 

I am sure glad we have a GM that looks at everything instead of listening to an unhappy fan base. 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, chrisbeldridge said:

Is it possible we could get Love with the 34th pick?  I have no problem with trading back a few, but I feel a defensive tackle who can pressure the qb is our most pressing need and I think we should address that before anything else.  Would love to get Love in the 2nd if we could.

Agreed

I think a good  to great QB should be available at 34 or CB could trade back into the 1st to grab one

12 minutes ago, Kangaroo said:

Thought Aikman's comment that he won 3 SB because of an aggressive run game and strong defence was interesting from the perspective of reaching to get a QB.

Remember....   Aikmans big super bowl years were early-mid 90’s.   The offensive game if football has changed dramatically since then.   With rules favoring offense in general and especially the passing game in the last 20 years or so.... 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember....   Aikmans big super bowl years were early-mid 90’s.   The offensive game if football has changed dramatically since then.   With rules favoring offense in general and especially the passing game in the last 20 years or so.... 

Well, whatever SF is doing.... they’re doing extremely well.

At the same time we’re seeing this punishing ground game and stifling defense.... Jimmy G is plenty capable enough and on the same page with the likes of Greg Kittle, Emanuel Sanders and now Deebo Samuel to where when they need a chunk play through the air.... they usually get it.

They are incredibly balanced on both sides of the ball.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Remember....   Aikmans big super bowl years were early-mid 90’s.   The offensive game of football has changed dramatically since then.   With rules favoring offense in general and especially the passing game in the last 20 years or so.... 

NO MESSAGE 

58 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

One thing most forget about Aikman is he was pounded into the ground and out of the league. 

I thought him and Jim Kelly were made of steel. 

Guys like those two is why we have rules to protect the franchise QBs today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, chrisbeldridge said:

Is it possible we could get Love with the 34th pick?  I have no problem with trading back a few, but I feel a defensive tackle who can pressure the qb is our most pressing need and I think we should address that before anything else.  Would love to get Love in the 2nd if we could.

It’s very possible unless Love tears it up at the combine and interview process. 

8 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I think today's win by the 49ers shows us that you don't need a great QB to reach the SB

but apparently you do need an inept defensive plan to go against along with an inability to adjust.  Not sure that is something you can count on. 

8 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

Thought Aikman's comment that he won 3 SB because of an aggressive run game and strong defence was interesting from the perspective of reaching to get a QB.

Yes but look at AFC qbs in the Super Bowl since 2003. This coming game will be just the 2nd since then where it is not Brady, manning or Big Ben. Kind of speaks to the value of a franchise qb. Hard to win consistently without one. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, pacolts56 said:

Well, whatever SF is doing.... they’re doing extremely well.

At the same time we’re seeing this punishing ground game and stifling defense.... Jimmy G is plenty capable enough and on the same page with the likes of Greg Kittle, Emanuel Sanders and now Deebo Samuel to where when they need a chunk play through the air.... they usually get it.

They are incredibly balanced on both sides of the ball.

Ah yes.  Skill position players that matter.   And none are first rounders?

It would be nice if the Colts had three players like that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, harrisoncolts88 said:

Does anyone get the feeling that this draft may lean towards fixing the offense side of the ball whereas years past the draft capital has been invested more into the defense?

I think he needs to find a stud DT in either the draft or FA.  But yes, the rest will be skill position offensive players, IMO.  Probably including QB.

We have Leonard, Okereke, Turay, Ben, Rock, Tell, and Willis.  All are guys that Ballard isn't going to replace just yet by investing good capital in those positions this year.  Come draft time, if BPA is at one of those positions, he'll probably try to trade down, IMO.  

9 hours ago, Kangaroo said:

I think today's win by the 49ers shows us that you don't need a great QB to reach the SB

Jimmy G was drafted pretty high, hes not a great argument for taking a QB late in the draft or not reaching for one.  the 49s gave a high second for him 

someone like jordan love could be better than him too

16 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I think he needs to find a stud DT in either the draft or FA.  But yes, the rest will be skill position offensive players, IMO.  Probably including QB.

We have Leonard, Okereke, Turay, Ben, Rock, Tell, and Willis.  All are guys that Ballard isn't going to replace just yet by investing good capital in those positions this year.  Come draft time, if BPA is at one of those positions, he'll probably try to trade down, IMO.  

I can agree with you that we have to get the DT spot fixed one way or the other and I personally don’t care if it’s our first draft pick or best FA DT on the board that fits our scheme. If we don’t fix that space, our defense is not going to hold scoring teams enough at bay and getting avg to above avg play from our QB will not be adequate enough. Prime Manning and Harrison and Edge ain’t coming back nor is Luck so I say we resolve the defense first as we look to improve the QB spot and develop it. 

and for the love of god, can we use more power scheme blocking for our offensive line and less zone type crap. We have a few maulers, let’s use that to run over people. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I can agree with you that we have to get the DT spot fixed one way or the other and I personally don’t care if it’s our first draft pick or best FA DT on the board that fits our scheme. If we don’t fix that space, our defense is not going to hold scoring teams enough at bay and getting avg to above avg play from our QB will not be adequate enough. Prime Manning and Harrison and Edge ain’t coming back nor is Luck so I say we resolve the defense first as we look to improve the QB spot and develop it. 

and for the love of god, can we use more power scheme blocking for our offensive line and less zone type crap. We have a few maulers, let’s use that to run over people. 

As you know, the NFL doesn't allow teams to spend enough to fill every position with all pros, so we have to choose where to put them, and then use those positions to build around.

We have excessive talent at the LG spot.  It would be a waste to now build a team around a Mahomes type of QB who needs a LG to only hold a block for 2 seconds, within an O that does not feature power running.

We should build it like the Titans or 49ers.  Game manager Qbs who can come up big when it matters but not a QB who the team has to rely upon virtually every play to succeed.

If people want that type of O, then we should probably trade Nelson to get more capital to then get that QB. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DougDew said:

As you know, the NFL doesn't allow teams to spend enough to fill every position with all pros, so we have to choose where to put them, and then use those positions to build around.

We have excessive talent at the LG spot.  It would be a waste to now build a team around a Mahomes type of QB who needs a LG to only hold a block for 2 seconds, within an O that does not feature power running.

We should build it like the Titans or 49ers.  Game manager Qbs who can come up big when it matters but not a QB who the team has to rely upon virtually every play to succeed.

If people want that type of O, then we should probably trade Nelson to get more capital to then get that QB. 

We don’t even have an above avg game manager, we at least need to fix that starting point. I’m more than fine with having an oline who shreds big open holes consistently for the run game and allow the QB to PAP off of that into wide open zones to our TE’s or quick hitters with our speedy guys. JB doesn’t give us that even very well. 

10 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

We don’t even have an above avg game manager, we at least need to fix that starting point. I’m more than fine with having an oline who shreds big open holes consistently for the run game and allow the QB to PAP off of that into wide open zones to our TE’s or quick hitters with our speedy guys. JB doesn’t give us that even very well. 

Yeah, who the best QB for the O is, is another debate. 

My point is that as soon as Ballard hires Reich to run a quicker paced O than what we had, he drafts a LG who can give us a pocket for 6 seconds, IOW, a pocket perfect for a long developing Chud/Arians or Manning type of O.  Or a Tennessee type of O with power blocking (and CB said that he likes the way TN and BUF have built their teams).

KC does not have a great Oline.  They make up for that by having a QB who makes having a great oline a fairly decent waste of capital.

Sorry folks, I just don't see us getting a Mahomes-like  star QB, given where we have already invested our recent draft capital and Ballard's comments

15 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

I would still take a QB at 13, we have two picks in the 2nd, they'll have solid DL still available to pick.  

I would take a QB in the second.  We aren't as desperate to upgrade at QB as people think we are, and nothing we're likely to be able to acquire in the draft is going to be an immediate upgrade anyway. 

Pick up a guy who can understudy for a year and be productive in 2021.  It's what's going to wind up happening anyway IMHO.

3 hours ago, BProland85 said:

It’s very possible unless Love tears it up at the combine and interview process. 

Therein lies the issue I have with Love. If he does well at the combine and interviews, he’ll be a higher pick, but still not worth the 13th. If he doesn’t, then do you really want to waste the 2nd pick on day 2 on a guy who has some bad stats and games and didn’t show up to the combine? It’s a big mess

3 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

I can't see us trading back if an elite graded player is available, but the right offer could do it.

CB will attempt fixing our interior DL and he won't wait for the draft to do it. 

I agree and hope you’re right. I would hope he spends money in FA if for no other reason than signing Chris Jones. Then in the draft try and score Brown or Kinlaw and then double dip on that position a little later as well. Then.... we’re on our way, IMO.

• Like 2

I just feel like if we came away from the draft with a DT, QB, WR, TE from the first 2 rounds of the draft, then that would be awesome. And with the ability to trade back in the first (maybe Philly's 21 and 53 overall), the Colts could also do something like the Redskins did last year which is trade their 44th pick and next year 2nd for around pick 26ish. Giving the Colts potential selections 21, 26, 34, and 53 to come away the likes of Cole Kmet, QB of Ballard's liking to groom (with 5th year option), Justin Jefferson, and Neville Gallimore.

Which would allow for next season's draft to be OL and more Defense.

Granted this scenario all blows up if A) Anthony Castonzo retires, B) Derrick Brown is still at pick 13, C) What happens in Free Agency

1 hour ago, Vexed said:

I agree and hope you’re right. I would hope he spends money in FA if for no other reason than signing Chris Jones. Then in the draft try and score Brown or Kinlaw and then double dip on that position a little later as well. Then.... we’re on our way, IMO.

This....  if we can sign a difference maker like Jones then we can pick a wideout in the first.  Another DT in the second.  If we can't sign Jones then I would only trade down if Brown AND Kinlaw are off the board.

Joseph

27 minutes ago, cjrichard said:

This....  if we can sign a difference maker like Jones then we can pick a wideout in the first.  Another DT in the second.  If we can't sign Jones then I would only trade down if Brown AND Kinlaw are off the board.

Joseph

No receivers in the first round...... please and thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1