Jump to content
Indianapolis Colts
runthepost

Titans vs Chiefs Game Thread

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Agreed. 

 

Thinking about the hype, Mahomes isn't Mahomes because of those short passes though,the  chain movers.  He'd be thought of as just another QB if that's all he did.  He gets his hype from those backyard plays, and nearly every time they're converted; Watkins, Kelce, or Hill hardly ever have a defender within 3 yards of them, if not more.

 

That is because he buys time unlike traditional QBs and his arm is unreal. With Peyton, if the WR gets a foot of separation 20 yards down the field, the DB still has a chance to make a play but with Mahomes' arm, you get slightly open and the ball is there. Always felt that was why, with DB contact allowed, a timing offense like Peyton suffered more than an offense like the Chiefs run, mainly because the separation is minimized with contact and it takes a little longer for Peyton's passes to get there than with Mahomes' passes. I felt the same way why Brady's incompletions when a defender jumped it were picks vs Peyton for the same reason. If Peyton had Favre's arm strength, he would have won more SBs, despite refs allowing more DB contact vs his pass catchers, IMO.

 

Look at these figures - Tyreek Hill 1 catch for 42 yards, and Kelce 3 catches for 23 yards was what happened in last year's AFCCG vs Patriots. Mahomes still found his other options who were nowhere the play makers that Hill and Kelce are and gave Belichick and his D fits in the AFCCG. He is not the second coming but his talent level floor is extremely high, and he is not just a backyard baller. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

That is because he buys time unlike traditional QBs and his arm is unreal. With Peyton, if the WR gets a foot of separation 20 yards down the field, the DB still has a chance to make a play but with Mahomes' arm, you get slightly open and the ball is there. Always felt that was why, with DB contact allowed, a timing offense like Peyton suffered more than an offense like the Chiefs run, mainly because the separation is minimized with contact and it takes a little longer for Peyton's passes to get there than with Mahomes' passes. I felt the same way why Brady's incompletions when a defender jumped it were picks vs Peyton for the same reason. If Peyton had Favre's arm strength, he would have won more SBs, despite refs allowing more DB contact vs his pass catchers, IMO.

 

Look at these figures - Tyreek Hill 1 catch for 42 yards, and Kelce 3 catches for 23 yards was what happened in last year's AFCCG vs Patriots. Mahomes still found his other options who were nowhere the play makers that Hill and Kelce are and gave Belichick and his D fits in the AFCCG. He is not the second coming but his talent level floor is extremely high, and he is not just a backyard baller. 

But being a backyard baller is why he wins.  Those are the plays that lead to KCs wins, and that's why he is looked at as being the best QB in the NFL right now.

 

Simms on PFT made an interesting comment this morning about Mahomes scramble.  He broke a couple of tcakles near the goal line because defenders were going for the ball instead of bringing him down.  Simms said that the D should have tackled him to at least see if KC could score within the 5 yard line.  "Seeing if they could score within the 5 yard line" I thought was an interesting way to describe KCs O against the TEN D.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But being a backyard baller is why he wins.  Those are the plays that lead to KCs wins, and that's why he is looked at as being the best QB in the NFL right now.

 

Simms on PFT made an interesting comment this morning about Mahomes scramble.  He broke a couple of tcakles near the goal line because defenders were going for the ball instead of bringing him down.  Simms said that the D should have tackled him to at least see if KC could score within the 5 yard line.  "Seeing if they could score within the 5 yard line" I thought was an interesting way to describe KCs O against the TEN D.

 

If making plays out of the pocket is your definition of backyard baller, then yes, that is why he wins because that is his strength, extending plays. To me, backyard baller is conveniently used to describe QBs that never get it done inside the pocket, and never read Ds. He does read Ds better than in Year 1, and does make enough throws inside the pocket but yes, the outside the pocket plays when his OL gets flushed and he gets flushed, is his calling card that puts him at the top currently, I agree.

 

Mahomes scrambling, he earlier said in the season that he will save scrambling with contact for more important occasions and the play before the half was one he was looking to initiate contact. The other instances, he knew he had time on the clock and could pick his spots after just getting first downs, played it smart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

If making plays out of the pocket is your definition of backyard baller, then yes, that is why he wins because that is his strength, extending plays. To me, backyard baller is conveniently used to describe QBs that never get it done inside the pocket, and never read Ds. He does read Ds better than in Year 1, and does make enough throws inside the pocket but yes, the outside the pocket plays when his OL gets flushed and he gets flushed, is his calling card that puts him at the top currently, I agree.

 

Mahomes scrambling, he earlier said in the season that he will save scrambling with contact for more important occasions and the play before the half was one he was looking to initiate contact. The other instances, he knew he had time on the clock and could pick his spots after just getting first downs, played it smart. 

I didn't say that Mahomes wasn't a great QB, I'm merely saying that when he scrambles, IOW when the play breaks down, his skill position players also know what they are doing by also getting 4 yards from a defender, at least a lot of the time.

 

If they were not able to do that, I wonder what Mahomes would look like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I didn't say that Mahomes wasn't a great QB, I'm merely saying that when he scrambles, IOW when the play breaks down, his skill position players also know what they are doing by also getting 4 yards from a defender, at least a lot of the time.

 

If they were not able to do that, I wonder what Mahomes would look like.

 

Like Lamar Jackson did, vs the Titans, LOL. :) 

 

The difference is Mahomes is a contortionist, doesn't need his feet set for a lot of his off balance throws that get there with weird arm angles too, Lamar has to set his feet. Can't coach that, can't teach that, IMO.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, chad72 said:

 

Like Lamar Jackson did, vs the Titans, LOL. :) 

 

The difference is Mahomes is a contortionist, doesn't need his feet set for a lot of his off balance throws that get there with weird arm angles too, Lamar has to set his feet. Can't coach that, can't teach that, IMO.

Out of curiosity, did the judge tell you to stay 300 or 500 yards away from Mahomes at all times?

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Out of curiosity, did the judge tell you to stay 300 or 500 yards away from Mahomes at all times?

 

Haha, very funny!!! :) 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, bluebombers87 said:

Out of curiosity, did the judge tell you to stay 300 or 500 yards away from Mahomes at all times?

 

It's on file with the FBI

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, PrincetonTiger said:

Not me not going to give the Pat fans a chance to gloat

 

Think about this.

 

Jimmy G winning the SB completes the 6-6-6 of the Steelers, Patriots and 49ers being the first 3 franchises to win 6 SBs. Belichick's imprint will be on the 49ers' SB win as well, hate to think it but I envision that happening. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Titans were just starting to tighten things up on D.   I see Dean Pees has decided to retire so I'm wondering what kind of blow that will be to their D next year?  Won't surprise me if Vrabel goes with Romeo Crennel for his DC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, chad72 said:

 

Think about this.

 

Jimmy G winning the SB completes the 6-6-6 of the Steelers, Patriots and 49ers being the first 3 franchises to win 6 SBs. Belichick's imprint will be on the 49ers' SB win as well, hate to think it but I envision that happening. 

Would be much more fitting if it was Steelers-Patriots-Cowboys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, krunk said:

Titans were just starting to tighten things up on D.   I see Dean Pees has decided to retire so I'm wondering what kind of blow that will be to their D next year?  Won't surprise me if Vrabel goes with Romeo Crennel for his DC.


I doubt it. He’s more likely to hire Wade Philips or even Rex Ryan before Crennel despite Patriots connections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chad72 said:


I doubt it. He’s more likely to hire Wade Philips or even Rex Ryan before Crennel despite Patriots connections.

Yeah but they worked together in Houston also.

2 hours ago, chad72 said:


I doubt it. He’s more likely to hire Wade Philips or even Rex Ryan before Crennel despite Patriots connections.

I'm not sure if Rex Ryan is coming back.  I get this feeling he still thinks he's a head coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Thread of the Week

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Also wouldn't mind adding Chris Jones for a KC reunion with Houston knowing full well what Jones is capable of creating pressure on QBs but not so much help in the run game.  Figure Jones will get around 21m/year if he does hit the market.   However I would like to see the Colts look at NT/LDT Javon Hargrave ((Steelers) who can do both jobs attacking QBs and stopping the run.  Hargrave should be a cheaper option commanding around 15m/year.  Can not see the Steelers having the cap space to resign Hargrave at this point in time.  Add someone like Gallimore in Round 1 of the draft and our DL has greatly improved over last year's unit.   Another high target FA wouldn't mind adding to replace Walker in the middle is Cory Littleton who would help in our run game.  Littleton will more likely be looking to get a 17m/year contract.  Am curious how well he can play switching from a 3-4 base LILB to a pure MLB in a 4-3 base and continue to be dominant?    
    • Steelers are in a worse cap crunch case and need to be within 30% of CBA resigning players this year.  NT/weak-side Javon Hargrave would help part of our DL issue and is better vs the run than Chris Jones and would cost less to obtain in FA.     By all calculations on team-based needs Brown and Kinlaw should be draft early leaving Gallimore available for us to select in Round 1.  Autry is our weakest DL and biggest disappointments this past season.  Gallimore in college has a history of forcing a fumble or two,  getting to QBs and even been credited with PBUs.   Houston was a great FA addition at weak-side and continues to play strong be it a 3-4 or 4-3 base defense.  In Round 2 I would like to see us address our SS or even TE but would not mind adding more depth on the edge with Jonathan Greenard (Florida).  Greenard would help add depth to our weak-side rotating with Houston who is a FA after the upcoming year.  Enjoyed watching Greenard's game tape vs Miami and him punching the ball out.  Maybe it was the turnover chain motivation but the kid is good FFs and defending passes.  Just the awareness to not only make game tackles but mental aspect to look for ways to create turnovers at the same time playing full speed has Greenard on my radar to pick.  Greenard should hear his name called early in Round 2.   The other edge player who has caught my eye as of late is the Michigan State walk-on Kenny Willekes.  Willekes insanely high motor and ultra-competitive played both weak/strong side with success FFs and PD.  Willekes I figure will go Rounds 2-3.   Adding and upgrading our IDL to force more inside pressure on QBs will help our edge players when the QB gets flushed out of the pocket.  
    • Maybe not that, but he got waffled upside the head by a gym machine today!  https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.tmz.com/2020/02/20/antonio-brown-gym-accident-video/?ved=1t%3A45442      
    • What is your bar for a high draft pick going on year three? (DE)    Are you satisfied with a Turay just being depth player? 
    • That's a pretty high bar. So he has to have at least 10 sacks to impress you
  • Members

    • The Peytonator

      The Peytonator 2,608

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • GoColts8818

      GoColts8818 9,517

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsGermany

      ColtsGermany 215

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Solon

      Solon 565

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Jdubu

      Jdubu 1,356

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ponyboy

      ponyboy 427

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • Dokken

      Dokken 3,651

      Senior Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • ColtsFan_98

      ColtsFan_98 10

      Rookie
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • kornstar

      kornstar 184

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
    • OhioColt

      OhioColt 33

      Member
      Joined:
      Last active:
×
×
  • Create New...