Indianapolis Colts
Sign in to follow this  
CurBeatElite

leonard and walker

Not sure if this has been posted on here yet:

Pretty impressive stat for Walker (3rd year) and Leonard (2nd year) -- they were the first LB Duo in NFL history to each have 120+ tackles, 2.5+ sacks, 6+ TFL, and 1+ interception.  

I think with Okerere in this mix (and potentially EJ Speed), we've got a pretty solid LB corps for years to come.  Let's just hope these guys stay healthy.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Thunderbolt said:

K'lavon Chaisson looks pretty to me, maybe we can add him on.

I liked him too from what I saw in the CFP.  He's projected as a mid-late first rounder.  

To be honest,  I'd be a bit disappointed if we went LB at pick 13.  If he fell to one of our 2nd round picks, that'd be too good to pass up.

However, with Leonard, Walker and Okerere I'd say LB is our strongest position (right there with OL assuming AC comes back).  

We have definite needs at DL and WR.  We likely have need at TE (assuming Ebron's gone).  We are likely to address QB in draft or FA.  We could use some secondary help.

Typically, I like the BPA strategy, but right now I think outside of OL (assuming AC returns), LB, RB, and P I think we have glaring concerns at every other position.

• Like 1

Leonard is a stud...but Walker is not.  So if he is getting a "bag," I hope he gets it from somewhere else. Walker is solid against the run...but still struggles in pass coverage. His PFF grades match the eye test.

I just don't see Walker as a foundational piece...and the Colts can't pay everyone. So my hope is that Okereke can take the starting role because his pass coverage is much better. But he is going to need to improve his run defense to do that.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Walker played less snaps then Leonard while Leonard still missed three games. He had almost the same amount of tackles as Leonard despite less snaps. I don’t get how Walker is so undervalued by fans. Him and Leonard really compliment each other on the field. Walker is also another coach off the field. He breaks down game film and gives the other linebackers notes before every game. I won’t be shocked if he gets extended before the next season starts. He won’t break the bank.  Linebacker is probably last on our list of needs.

Agreed on LB being last on our list of needs.  Only other position you could argue (assuming AC comes back) is OL.

We have some glaring needs to improve across the board otherwise.  The nicest thing would be if EJ Speed develops and Okerere continues improving, we'd have 3 guys (Speed, Leonard, Okerere) who could play any LB position.  Walker could be kind of a rotational guy for certain instances.  He's great against the run, he's a leader.  He leaves room for improvement in the passing game, but he's a guy that would start on most teams in the league and he's only going to get better as the defense around him improves.

2 hours ago, shastamasta said:

Leonard is a stud...but Walker is not.  So if he is getting a "bag," I hope he gets it from somewhere else. Walker is solid against the run...but still struggles in pass coverage. His PFF grades match the eye test.

I just don't see Walker as a foundational piece...and the Colts can't pay everyone. So my hope is that Okereke can take the starting role because his pass coverage is much better. But he is going to need to improve his run defense to do that.  

Walker is a very good player.  He's very good against the run and average against the pass.  Ideally, see above... we have very versatile guys in Leonard and Okerere.  If Speed develops, we should be able to rotate a nice set of LBs in and out for all occasions.  

There are a lot worse starting LBs in the league than Walker.  I hope we keep him around.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

Walker played less snaps then Leonard while Leonard still missed three games. He had almost the same amount of tackles as Leonard despite less snaps. I don’t get how Walker is so undervalued by fans. Him and Leonard really compliment each other on the field. Walker is also another coach off the field. He breaks down game film and gives the other linebackers notes before every game. I won’t be shocked if he gets extended before the next season starts. He won’t break the bank.  Linebacker is probably last on our list of needs.

It’s not a need...but they also don’t need to pay Walker long-term...especially this offseason.

Leonard is a star...he would compliment anyone. And Okereke has flashed enough to see if he can be that guy.

You say people undervalue Walker...but then say he won’t break the bank. If he as undervalued as you claim...then he won’t be cheap. I would gladly keep him if that were the case...but I bet he will want at least $10M/year...given what other ILB contracts have looked like. 

I get it...people love Walker. But IMO...he’s a solid-good run defender who has limitations in pass coverage...someone that could be improved upon...and not worth a big second contract. We will see what Ballard does.

6 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

Agreed on LB being last on our list of needs.  Only other position you could argue (assuming AC comes back) is OL.

We have some glaring needs to improve across the board otherwise.  The nicest thing would be if EJ Speed develops and Okerere continues improving, we'd have 3 guys (Speed, Leonard, Okerere) who could play any LB position.  Walker could be kind of a rotational guy for certain instances.  He's great against the run, he's a leader.  He leaves room for improvement in the passing game, but he's a guy that would start on most teams in the league and he's only going to get better as the defense around him improves.

Walker is a very good player.  He's very good against the run and average against the pass.  Ideally, see above... we have very versatile guys in Leonard and Okerere.  If Speed develops, we should be able to rotate a nice set of LBs in and out for all occasions.  

There are a lot worse starting LBs in the league than Walker.  I hope we keep him around.

There are also several better LBs in the league as well. I don’t think he’s a bad player (though not a very good one either)...but the question isn’t would you keep him on the roster...it’s whether he’s worth a “bag”...as Leonard says. I guess we won’t know unless they give it to him. IMO...I would wait until next offseason to see what Okereke can do in a bigger role.

21 hours ago, Thunderbolt said:

K'lavon Chaisson looks pretty to me, maybe we can add him on.

That’s the problem with you people! you want to draft players based on there appearance, instead of their talents! Being pretty doesn’t win ball games people! haha

• Haha 1

i always liked Walker, PFF had him rated as one of the worst MLB in the league for most of the season though if i remember correctly, maybe someone can clarify this.

36 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

i always liked Walker, PFF had him rated as one of the worst MLB in the league for most of the season though if i remember correctly, maybe someone can clarify this.

He was in the 50s most of the season. I think at one point early on...he was one of lowest graded...due to missed tackles and pass coverage.

He had a huge game against Will Grier and CAR (1 sack and 1 INT)...in that dominant Colts win...and it bumped him up to the 60s.

I am in the minority on him apparently...and that’s fine. 

1 hour ago, shastamasta said:

He was in the 50s most of the season. I think at one point early on...he was one of lowest graded...due to missed tackles and pass coverage.

He had a huge game against Will Grier and CAR (1 sack and 1 INT)...in that dominant Colts win...and it bumped him up to the 60s.

My apologies i'm not much of a PFF guru, but i mean to get into it soon. I have read how they come up with their grades and it seems to be an accurate assessment. Is 50s-60s good? Bad ? Average?

3 hours ago, Nesjan3 said:

My apologies i'm not much of a PFF guru, but i mean to get into it soon. I have read how they come up with their grades and it seems to be an accurate assessment. Is 50s-60s good? Bad ? Average?

I would assume 50s is pretty low...relative to other players...but not really sure exactly how low. Definitely below average.

I think the offensive line and running backs are our most solid positions. We're OK at linebacker, but I wouldn't be opposed to finding someone in free agency in the middle and use Walker to back up all three spots.

They complement each other on the field, not compliment - unless they are actually handing out compliments.

On 1/18/2020 at 11:04 PM, shastamasta said:

It’s not a need...but they also don’t need to pay Walker long-term...especially this offseason.

Leonard is a star...he would compliment anyone. And Okereke has flashed enough to see if he can be that guy.

You say people undervalue Walker...but then say he won’t break the bank. If he as undervalued as you claim...then he won’t be cheap. I would gladly keep him if that were the case...but I bet he will want at least $10M/year...given what other ILB contracts have looked like. 

I get it...people love Walker. But IMO...he’s a solid-good run defender who has limitations in pass coverage...someone that could be improved upon...and not worth a big second contract. We will see what Ballard does.

A recurring theme around here for me is how we all see the same thing differently...

So you write that your get it, that people here love Walker.  Which I find interesting...  because it’s my view that from reading the boards here, more than half the posters don’t like Walker and would be happy if we let him walk.

Same player.   Two different viewpoints.   I see that a lot here.  Not saying I’m right and you’re wrong.  Just saying we see it differently. 

On 1/19/2020 at 2:11 PM, shastamasta said:

Keep in mind early on that Leonard was out 3 games, and Walker moved over to WILL. So not only did he play 3 games out of position, he also played 100%ish of snaps and passing downs (which he does not normally do). When he's playing MIKE, and on downs he typically plays, our scheme doesn't put much on him from a coverage perspective.

You always need to take PFF grades with a grain of salt as they really don't take scheme variance into account, and LBs especially are hard to grade outside of Ts. They rated Devin Bush really low for most of the year, especially when they were dealing with injury and played him on downs they normally wouldn't. He ended up low 60s IIRC as things settled down towards late season.

On 1/19/2020 at 2:04 AM, shastamasta said:

ILB is one of the more devalued positions in both the draft and FA, so he's not going to get a "pile" of money regardless... especially being only a 2 down LBer. But honestly that's not really a bad thing (him being a 2 down LBer).  A lot of teams do the same thing (use a rotation).

Purely my opinion, but I think the situation is good for us. We don't use SAM a lot, so having a SAM (Oke) that can also play passing downs at MIKE, while having a good run stopping 2 down MIKE like Walker, is efficient and effective use of $ of personnel. 

Since we moved Oke to SAM, it likely means Franklin (did't play a single snap on D) will not be back. That means either they give Speed a shot at MIKE depth, or look to FA or the draft (later rounds). Walker will never be great at coverage, just like Oke will likely never be great in the middle vs the run. They can be effective in a rotation though. In short though, LB is literally the last on my list of needs this year. 

This either tells me that they are making a lot plays or people are getting to our next level with ease.  The way our DLine played this year, it's probably the latter.  

I'm proud of these guys.  Once we get our Dline straight, we'll see them elevate to another level.

• Like 2

On 1/25/2020 at 7:50 PM, EastStreet said:

LB is literally the last on my list of needs this year. 

I feel the same.  The Colts should not take a LB in the draft before WR, QB, OL, DL, TE or CB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Myles said:

I feel the same.  The Colts should not take a LB in the draft before WR, QB, OL, DL, TE or CB.

I don't mind a very late LB pick, or a FA pick up. I think they will likely grab someone, somehow/somewhere for MIKE depth now that Oke has taken over SAM (Franklin likely gone). If not, that means they probably have some confidence in Speed stepping up this year.

Speaking of Speed, I was a little surprised that Ballard commented that he saw Speed as a MLB. Not that I don't think he can develop into a MIKE, but his frame and measurements are closer to Leonard than a typical MLB. Being that Speed is only a few years away from his conversion from WR, gotta think he's still very raw. Regardless, hard for me to see him not being more of a WILL or SAM than MIKE.

On 1/18/2020 at 1:53 PM, shastamasta said:

Yes, Okereke looked like our best linebacker for parts of the season. Our LB's are solid. Just need a stud corner, start Khari Willis, and two pass rushers.

44 minutes ago, bestQBever said:

Yes, Okereke looked like our best linebacker for parts of the season. Our LB's are solid. Just need a stud corner, start Khari Willis, and two pass rushers.

Improve the pass rush, and it's a lot easier on everyone in coverage. 

I doubt they move Oke away from starting SAM, and you really don't want him playing in the middle on early downs. Willis is great in the box, but got exploited vs the pass (allowed 27 catches on 31 targets). Guessing you'll see him get the majority of snaps vs run heavy teams and early downs, and less vs pass happy teams and later downs.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, EastStreet said:

(allowed 27 catches on 31 targets)

PFR has him at 31 catches on 37 targets.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dogg63 said:

PFR has him at 31 catches on 37 targets.

I was using PFF

https://www.pff.com/nfl/players/khari-willis/51304

Neither are good, but the delta is interesting. PFF must have attributed the extra 4 catches and 6 targets to someone else. Bottom line, not great vs the pass. I assume given the film, opponents will test him more next year in the passing game.