Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Did Ballard create to good of a locker room

Restinpeacesweetchloe

Something he mentioned in year end press conference about not having enough friction and holding each other accountable stuck with me. Did he create such a good culture within the locker room where these guys are all such good friends they won’t get in each other’s face and hold each other accountability. Peyton Manning could be a jerk sometimes but those players respected him and he demanded hard work. Do we need a couple so called jerks to keep these players accountable for their play. Ultimately Brissett would and can be this guy and has shown it. But with how bad he played how can he be that guy. 

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Something he mentioned in year end press conference about not having enough friction and holding each other accountable stuck with me. Did he create such a good culture within the locker room where these guys are all such good friends they won’t get in each other’s face and hold each other accountability. Peyton Manning could be a jerk sometimes but those players respected him and he demanded hard work. Do we need a couple so called jerks to keep these players accountable for their play. Ultimately Brissett would and can be this guy and has shown it. But with how bad he played how can he be that guy. 

Something tells me Nelson would have zero problem playing that role

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard said he wanted more friction in the locker room next year and players holding each other accountable.

Right, he said he made a mistake by not having more senior leadership too.  I hope that means he won’t shy away from some more veteran FAs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I don't think Peyton was a 'jerk.'  He simply demanded the most out of his teammates because he gave them all he had.  He was also very good at taking accountability upon himself when he played less than his best.  Peyton was also the best (or one of the best) in the league when he played... you make a good point, Jacoby has leadership traits, but when he's not playing well it's hard for him to express them to other guys.

I don't think we need a jerk.  I think we just need some more top-tier players who won't be looked at like 'jokes' if/when they have to try to light a fire under their teammates.  

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

Something tells me Nelson would have zero problem playing that role

I think Q. already plays a major leadership role.  Not just by talking to other players, but also by his actions and his superb play week in and week out.  I think TY also plays a leadership role when he's on the field, unfortunately he missed >1/3 of the season.

1 hour ago, Chloe6124 said:

Ballard said he wanted more friction in the locker room next year and players holding each other accountable.

As eluded to above, I think this is going to require us adding more high level players, staying healthy, and adding depth.  We've got several guys on this team who are high-end players and seem to do well in leadership roles (Q, TY, Justin Houston, Leonard are the ones who come to mind, so 2 on each side of the ball).  Unfortunately, both TY and Leonard missed time due to injuries, which doesn't allow them to be leaders on the field.  We have significant drop offs in talent when those guys are gone.  

We've got some young guys on the team who I think can step up and act as leaders as well if they improve from last year to this year: Rock Ya-Sin, Okerere, Turay (if healthy), Kenny Moore (when healthy), etc. ... Maybe Jacoby if he can play more consistently.

Hate using old Pagano lines, but "man sharpens man like iron sharpens iron" is coming to mind here.  I just don't think we had enough strong iron across the board last year, which was apparent with major drop offs due to injuries.  

Idk about jerks but we need guys with a little more “edge” and some of our position groups need more competition. I wouldn’t mind a couple of alpha-male type of guys on here.

For example Malike Hooker and Clayton Geathers were disappointments this past season IMO (Ballard said about the same regarding Hooker) but when there’s no one breathing down your neck or no one to really be on you, how can you expect better? The same can be said about Jacoby as well. These guys need competition.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

I don't think Peyton was a 'jerk.'  He simply demanded the most out of his teammates because he gave them all he had.  He was also very good at taking accountability upon himself when he played less than his best.  Peyton was also the best (or one of the best) in the league when he played... you make a good point, Jacoby has leadership traits, but when he's not playing well it's hard for him to express them to other guys.

I don't think we need a jerk.  I think we just need some more top-tier players who won't be looked at like 'jokes' if/when they have to try to light a fire under their teammates.  

I think Q. already plays a major leadership role.  Not just by talking to other players, but also by his actions and his superb play week in and week out.  I think TY also plays a leadership role when he's on the field, unfortunately he missed >1/3 of the season.

As eluded to above, I think this is going to require us adding more high level players, staying healthy, and adding depth.  We've got several guys on this team who are high-end players and seem to do well in leadership roles (Q, TY, Justin Houston, Leonard are the ones who come to mind, so 2 on each side of the ball).  Unfortunately, both TY and Leonard missed time due to injuries, which doesn't allow them to be leaders on the field.  We have significant drop offs in talent when those guys are gone.  

We've got some young guys on the team who I think can step up and act as leaders as well if they improve from last year to this year: Rock Ya-Sin, Okerere, Turay (if healthy), Kenny Moore (when healthy), etc. ... Maybe Jacoby if he can play more consistently.

Hate using old Pagano lines, but "man sharpens man like iron sharpens iron" is coming to mind here.  I just don't think we had enough strong iron across the board last year, which was apparent with major drop offs due to injuries.  

Tsarquise, where are you at?  ;) 

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Idk about jerks but we need guys with a little more “edge” and some of our position groups need more competition. I wouldn’t mind a couple of alpha-male type of guys on here.

For example Malike Hooker and Clayton Geathers were disappointments this past season IMO (Ballard said about the same regarding Hooker) but when there’s no one breathing down your neck or no one to really be on you, how can you expect better? The same can be said about Jacoby as well. These guys need competition.

I think that is a better description then being a jerk. That is more what I meant. 

If Reich and Ballard had just put the little bit of thought in Jacobys head that Kelly might get a look the second half of the season maybe it would of pushed Jacoby. I think drafting a QB will push him. Although it isn’t going to help him in keeping his job here maybe it will help him getting one after next season. He has to know he is on the hot seat.

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I can't help but ask:  Wasn't the previous OL coach just that kind of valuable "jerk" that we're talking about?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CurBeatElite said:
3 hours ago, Hammer said:

Tsarquise, where are you at?  ;) 

?

Tsarquise had this to say early on:

7 hours ago, Tsarquise said:

Too*

Which corrected the tread title from "to good of a locker room" to "too good of a locker room"

And then came your spelling error:

5 hours ago, CurBeatElite said:

As eluded to above, I think

(alluded); eluded means to escape detection/apprehension

So Hammer was poking you in the ribs. =)

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

I wouldnt say too good of a locker room, but maybe too much loyalty to beaver cleaver type players like JB and AV. He preaches competition but when key players arent getting done I dont see others always getting a shot. I think letting AV kick too long plus JB staying under center when stinking it up might have killed some overall drive in the moral of some players.

• Like 5

Players like Nelson and Leonard have Endless motors and always give it all. But its a GMs and coaches job to keep the locker room moral high. Most players feed off leaders. And when leaders like AV and JB dont perform it kills the followers. Not every player is leader material, some are influenced by others. Got to keep people on the field who are getting done consistantly on and those stinking consistantly off. 

• Like 2

Wasn't there a players only meeting when we were something like 1-6 last season that turned things around? The answer is yes.

The Colts locker room being "too good" is not the problem.... talent and depth to withstand injuries (and Luck's :censored:ing retirement) is the problem.

Let's not over analyse this.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

This has been mentioned by Ballard as you said and was discussed here even before that.

I also remember Ballard basically saying that you build your culture from within first, then you can add “questionable”  Characters and the weight if the culture will put them in line.  Some would say this happens in NE.

However, i still think you need at least one “enforcer” on each side of the ball. A guy who is respected for his commitment, work ethic, and play on the Field.  Being physically intimidating and a little “nuts” when necessary doesn't hurt either.  Our team is so young so i think this is still developing.

Q needs to fully embrace the role.  He has all the necessary attributes and the On-field personality to boot.  On defense, a combo of Houston/Leonard/Sheard could be the temporary ticket, with possibly Leonard growing more into the role.

But i’d like to see a little more if Q’s “attitude” More integrated into our current culture.

Next year’s mantra should be:
”No More Mr Nice Guy.... Time To Get Nasty!”

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Not sure how CB can make this statement with a straight face?  When you preach competition, and continue putting players on the field that are costing the team win's, I would imagine that has a negative effect on the locker room culture.  

It's called a team sport for a reason, it takes 53 guys on team, 11 on each side of the ball plus the ST units to do their job's.  I'm certainly not suggesting we are a SB team, but we have some really good, young players on this team, and I think if CB would have made some moves earlier, we could have ended the season on a more positive note.

On a final note, CB has always preached doing things the right way, bringing in the right players and now he says we need some friction in the locker room?  I agree, but you are not going to draft those type of players, that comes from signing some FA's that have experience and have earned a reputation for being a hard nosed, respected player. 

14 hours ago, Chloe6124 said:

You can’t just bring in a jerk or * hole.    That person also has to play his * off and hold himself accountable.  

So the jerk has to be a quality player to earn respect.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

I wouldnt say too good of a locker room, but maybe too much loyalty to beaver cleaver type players like JB and AV. He preaches competition but when key players arent getting done I dont see others always getting a shot. I think letting AV kick too long plus JB staying under center when stinking it up might have killed some overall drive in the moral of some players.

Yep...there isn’t a lot of accountability to begin with...as you said.

Geez, way too many fans in this forum think they know what goes on in the locker room. 

Unless you are in the locker room you don't have a clue. 

Everything Ballard said was pure GM speak. It's the same story he has told every off season since he has been here. It may be different words but the meaning is the same. 

This team will improve as the players get older and more experienced. 

We have one of the youngest teams in the league and it takes time to gel.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was nothing funny about the thread. It was a serious question. If you pay attention to the players IG they are always hanging out together off the field. I mean doing a lot together. As we speak AW has a story on IG with Jacoby because they both live in Miami in the off season. Ballard is the one to say it. I wasn’t talking about needing guys that break the law and get in trouble. But we need guys to step up more as leaders. Hopefully Leonard and Nelson can be those guys that step up and hold players accountable.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, WoolMagnet said:

This has been mentioned by Ballard as you said and was discussed here even before that.

I also remember Ballard basically saying that you build your culture from within first, then you can add “questionable”  Characters and the weight if the culture will put them in line.  Some would say this happens in NE.

However, i still think you need at least one “enforcer” on each side of the ball. A guy who is respected for his commitment, work ethic, and play on the Field.  Being physically intimidating and a little “nuts” when necessary doesn't hurt either.  Our team is so young so i think this is still developing.

Q needs to fully embrace the role.  He has all the necessary attributes and the On-field personality to boot.  On defense, a combo of Houston/Leonard/Sheard could be the temporary ticket, with possibly Leonard growing more into the role.

But i’d like to see a little more if Q’s “attitude” More integrated into our current culture.

Next year’s mantra should be:
”No More Mr Nice Guy.... Time To Get Nasty!”

Thank you for this straight forward, enlightened post.

Ballard wasn't giving GM Speak when he pointed out that in his learned opinion we were missing something in the lockerroom. We were missing some leadership and attitude. OK.  He and his leadership team likely have been talking and agreeing about seeing this as the season went on. And how ridiculous that a player instantly loses those abilities when he isn't on the field. 

JERK wasn't the right word, but the point was correct according to our GM.

A Reggie White could come in as a FA and make an immediate impact on the culture. lol.

I think building what is needed will happen if CB keeps drafting his high character types.

17 hours ago, TimetobringDfence! said:

This is a very uninformed post.  

Regarding AV.  They brought in kickers two different times for an open competition and AV out kicked them.  And people forget he AV started off rough, they brought in kickers, AV outkicked them and then played well over the next few games, then he struggled again and they brought in kickers again and AV outkicked them, then when he struggled again the kicker they wanted became available and they signed him and put AV on IR.  Not really much more a team can do with competition.

Regarding JB.  If you cannot answer these questions then you do not know if there was competition or not.  How did all the QBs do in the game plan tests every week?  How did all the other QBs do in the film room?  Did they ask good questions, did they see the correct things?  Were they able to pick out coverage schemes and anticipate where the opposing player would be before the snap?  Even things like did they follow the team diet all goes into evaluating a player during the season.  Like I said, if you can't answer those questions then any comments about preaching competition but not following through are coming from a position of ignorance.

• Thanks 2

5 hours ago, waittilnextyear said:

Thank you for this straight forward, enlightened post.

Ballard wasn't giving GM Speak when he pointed out that in his learned opinion we were missing something in the lockerroom. We were missing some leadership and attitude. OK.  He and his leadership team likely have been talking and agreeing about seeing this as the season went on. And how ridiculous that a player instantly loses those abilities when he isn't on the field. 

JERK wasn't the right word, but the point was correct according to our GM.

A Reggie White could come in as a FA and make an immediate impact on the culture. lol.

I think building what is needed will happen if CB keeps drafting his high character types.

They dont even have to be loud, or “jerkish.” Sometimes a vet who doesnt say much, but just “shows” the way by example.  Players , especially younger, will “behave” as they Respect and want to impress.  Houston is probably similar to this. Some might say Dungy was this way as a coach.

I felt we needed a guy in locker room to “ yell and break stuff” when we were on losing streak. Someone to “shake” everyone and wake them up.  We dont always need high-IQ guys calmly sitting around discussing the losing streak over tea and crumpets.

Sometimes you just need to smash something to make a point.

2 hours ago, aaron11 said:

should have moved on from AV a year ago they waited too long and there were not many options in the middle of the season 

Hey bud!!!!

Me again.  How’ve you been?  Hope we can “move on.”

i agree, about Vinny.  It looks like something was going on with his leg.  In my view, Vinny may have hid it a little, trying to get to some records.  My gut thinks Vinny would have retired, this offseason.  Now, he may wanna kick for 1 more year.

Looking back, we probably should have added a 2nd kicker early when we brought some in.  Ballard churned the roster all year.  Two kickers short-term until Vinny healed his body or “head” may have worked.

Of course, our vision is MUCH better now, looking back.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

This might be the funniest thread of all-time? How can you have too good of a locker room? In watching football for 42 years now, that is a first.

I believe the are looking to have an “edge” to the locker room.

Ballard isnt saying he wants felons on the team.

4 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

This is a very uninformed post.  

Regarding AV.  They brought in kickers two different times for an open competition and AV out kicked them.  And people forget he AV started off rough, they brought in kickers, AV outkicked them and then played well over the next few games, then he struggled again and they brought in kickers again and AV outkicked them, then when he struggled again the kicker they wanted became available and they signed him and put AV on IR.  Not really much more a team can do with competition.

Regarding JB.  If you cannot answer these questions then you do not know if there was competition or not.  How did all the QBs do in the game plan tests every week?  How did all the other QBs do in the film room?  Did they ask good questions, did they see the correct things?  Were they able to pick out coverage schemes and anticipate where the opposing player would be before the snap?  Even things like did they follow the team diet all goes into evaluating a player during the season.  Like I said, if you can't answer those questions then any comments about preaching competition but not following through are coming from a position of ignorance.

Where is your proof that AV out kicked anyone where these competitions public, private. I believe it was to save face cause they already knew they were sticking with AV. 

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Doesn't guys like Q Nelson and D Leonard give them that already.

Exactly.

Too many trying to psychoanalyze GM speak. 

What Ballard has said is exactly what he has said since he has been here. 

I don't mean that in a negative way but there are too many who take what he says and put their own twist on things. 

We had a disappointing season so some just are possessed with looking for anything negative. 

Fandom is alive in here. It's already been a long off season. lol

• Like 1