Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Pre Combine Mini Mock 2.0

I made my first pre-combine mini mock on January 1, back when I assumed that we could find a QB of the future in someone not named Burrow, Tua, or Herbert.  Now, I'm not so sure.  Yes, we could take one of the others.  And, yes, they could be serviceable.  But I'm not falling in love with any of them.  And I have a feeling that some other team would reach for them anyway, whereas we would rather pick them where we rate them.

I also made my first mini mock before it was learned that Costanzo just might retire.  And the more I thought about it, and listened to Kevin's Corner on it, the more I was certain this is a Huge Issue.  Almost bigger than dealing with JB's limitations at QB.  Seriously.

SO!  Here is my second pre-combine mini mock.  Assumptions:  we do NOT draft a QB.  At all.  Instead, we make a temporary solution by bringing in a veteran like Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, or Teddy Bridgewater.  And we also assume that Costanzo actually retires, and we need to deal with Left Tackle right now.

Rd 1 / Pick 13 - Jevon Kinlaw, DL3T, South Carolina 6'6" 310 - He is still probably going to be the best player on the board when we get to our pick.  CB says that this defense starts with the 3 technique, and I agree.  This guy is a massive disruption mauler.  Just don't ask him to do calculus.

Rd 2 / Pick 34 - Trey Adams, OT, Washington 6'7" 334 - Probably the second best prototypical left tackle in the draft.  Great measurables, and ability to protect the blind side.  Suffered an ACL in 2017 and back surgery in 2018, forcing durability concerns.

Rd 2 / Pick 44 - Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU 6'3" 192 - Still graded mid second round by several sources.  102 catches for 1,434 yards and 18 TD's this season as Burrow's go-to play maker.

Rd 3 / Pick 75 - Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue 6'5" 245 - Racing up the draft boards quickly, I have to pick him much earlier than in my previous mock.  61 catches for 831 yards and 7 TD's this year.  Provides a downfield pass catching option to replace Eric Ebron, who will not be returning.

Rd 4 / Pick 112 - K.J. Hill, WR, Ohio St. 6'0" 200 - 57 catches for 636 yards and 10 TD's this year.  Polished route runner who suffered from less than stellar QB play for the Buckeyes.  Solid and dependable.

Rd 5 / Pick 142 - Reggie Robinson, CB, Tulsa, 6'1" 197 - Solid corner from smaller school.  4 INT's with 13 passes defended and 38 tackles.  Sleeper pick that may be a steal.

What do you think?  How do you think I did with not being able to draft a QB and a LT in the same draft?

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, John Hammonds said:

I made my first pre-combine mini mock on January 1, back when I assumed that we could find a QB of the future in someone not named Burrow, Tua, or Herbert.  Now, I'm not so sure.  Yes, we could take one of the others.  And, yes, they could be serviceable.  But I'm not falling in love with any of them.  And I have a feeling that some other team would reach for them anyway, whereas we would rather pick them where we rate them.

I also made my first mini mock before it was learned that Costanzo just might retire.  And the more I thought about it, and listened to Kevin's Corner on it, the more I was certain this is a Huge Issue.  Almost bigger than dealing with JB's limitations at QB.  Seriously.

SO!  Here is my second pre-combine mini mock.  Assumptions:  we do NOT draft a QB.  At all.  Instead, we make a temporary solution by bringing in a veteran like Andy Dalton, Derek Carr, or Teddy Bridgewater.  And we also assume that Costanzo actually retires, and we need to deal with Left Tackle right now.

Rd 1 / Pick 13 - Jevon Kinlaw, DL3T, South Carolina 6'6" 310 - He is still probably going to be the best player on the board when we get to our pick.  CB says that this defense starts with the 3 technique, and I agree.  This guy is a massive disruption mauler.  Just don't ask him to do calculus.

Rd 2 / Pick 34 - Trey Adams, OT, Washington 6'7" 334 - Probably the second best prototypical left tackle in the draft.  Great measurables, and ability to protect the blind side.  Suffered an ACL in 2017 and back surgery in 2018, forcing durability concerns.

Rd 2 / Pick 44 - Justin Jefferson, WR, LSU 6'3" 192 - Still graded mid second round by several sources.  102 catches for 1,434 yards and 18 TD's this season as Burrow's go-to play maker.

Rd 3 / Pick 75 - Brycen Hopkins, TE, Purdue 6'5" 245 - Racing up the draft boards quickly, I have to pick him much earlier than in my previous mock.  61 catches for 831 yards and 7 TD's this year.  Provides a downfield pass catching option to replace Eric Ebron, who will not be returning.

Rd 4 / Pick 112 - K.J. Hill, WR, Ohio St. 6'0" 200 - 57 catches for 636 yards and 10 TD's this year.  Polished route runner who suffered from less than stellar QB play for the Buckeyes.  Solid and dependable.

Rd 5 / Pick 142 - Reggie Robinson, CB, Tulsa, 6'1" 197 - Solid corner from smaller school.  4 INT's with 13 passes defended and 38 tackles.  Sleeper pick that may be a steal.

What do you think?  How do you think I did with not being able to draft a QB and a LT in the same draft?

Trey Adams is going back to school. Otherwise, goood job.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MikeCurtis said:

I like it

but..... I would consider using the 3rd round pick on Gordon

Im a Buckeyes fan but fear KJ Hill is too much of a drop machine

If you've got eyes on KJ Hill all the time, you've got a far better measure of the man than I do.  This is going to be a very interesting Combine!

11 hours ago, John Hammonds said:

I think injuries have taken a himuge toll on Adams.   I’m not sure he’s the same player.   Don’t think he’s viewed as a high second round pick.   Maybe a third or fourth rounder.  

Now maybe that changes over the next three months.   Maybe he slowly returns to close what he once was.   I just don’t think he’s there yet.   So I don’t want to spend a high two on someone who might be a mid three in value.  

6 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think injuries have taken a himuge toll on Adams.   I’m not sure he’s the same player.   Don’t think he’s viewed as a high second round pick.   Maybe a third or fourth rounder.  

Now maybe that changes over the next three months.   Maybe he slowly returns to close what he once was.   I just don’t think he’s there yet.   So I don’t want to spend a high two on someone who might be a mid three in value.  

OK....    I came back to say I may have been wrong on Adams...   turns out,  I may have been DOUBLY wrong.

First,  I see McShay has him ranked in the mid-40's, which would put him  in the middle of the 2nd round round.

Second, I see in this thread,  some poster says Adams is going back to school.   Good for the kid.   I almost always respect that decision.   Hope it's true, and I hope it pays off for Adams.

Sorry for any confusion.

21 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Trey Adams is going back to school.

I don't think this is correct.  Trey Adams was a 5th year senior in 2019.  He has no more college eligibility.  He decided to return to Washington for the 2019 season rather then enter the draft last year.