Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

41 minutes ago, chad72 said:

It is not obvious, neither does it make sense, sorry.

If your good OL can give your QB a comfortable 3 seconds, and he can gain another 2 or 3 seconds scrambling that is not guaranteed, the odds of the passing offense succeeding goes up, the more time a QB gains. Saying I will settle for 3 seconds as good enough is ignorant, if you have the occasional athletic QB play that will buy you time. So, if the baseline time given by the OL goes up with good OL players, an offense will take it 100% of the time. The baseline time is the only thing guaranteed, the scrambling is not guaranteed to succeed, even if it is Mahomes. So you take the certain time, and add the upside to it.

I can't see why you cannot see it, probably because you are blind or you see only what you want to see.

A 3 second pocket G can never give you 6 seconds.  That's why Haeg doesn't start.  But a scrambling QB with Haeg at G gives the QB 5 to 6 seconds to find someone.  You said that, and I said that.

So you want everything?  A scrambling QB who can give you 3 extra seconds when the oline breaks down to find a 30 yard backyard ball gain, or sit back there for 6 seconds and make reads all over the field.  And the oline that can give him 6 seconds on a regular basis.

The cap is structured to force GMs to make choices.  Does Mahomes ever have a 6 second pocket?

Assuming that we are going to pay our LT something more than Winston Justice money, Haeg and Glow can give our scrambling QB three seconds.  We don't need Nelson for that.  We drafted him to give Luck, our downfield passer, a 6 second pocket most of the time.  

2 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's my bold prediction: after the Senior Bowl, Jordan Love will be talked as a top 10 pick and people will start asking the question of whether Love should go before Herbert.

I like that predication.  I will one up you:

After the senior bowl, people will start discussing Anthony Gordon as a 2nd round pick with a chance to be a sleeper 1st rounder.  Also, I think Jalen Hurts will solidify himself as a late 1st early 2nd round pick.

My prediction is Raiders are gonna be Raiders and gift the Dolphins another first rounder to move up and grab Tua. 

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. Raiders may actually jump ahead of Miami to trade with the Giants for a QB, triggering a tsunami of trades, IMO,

8 minutes ago, stitches said:

Here's my bold prediction: after the Senior Bowl, Jordan Love will be talked as a top 10 pick and people will start asking the question of whether Love should go before Herbert.

Been on that for a minute lol. Let me ask you this though, I believe we are both in the camp of sitting love for a year but do you start Herbert day 1 or sit him?

13 minutes ago, twfish said:

Been on that for a minute lol. Let me ask you this though, I believe we are both in the camp of sitting love for a year but do you start Herbert day 1 or sit him?

I've been on Love is QB2 in the draft since like... November or something. (after Tua's injury).

About your question... I'm of the mind that IF Love/Herbert/whoever we draft is ready to play by week 1 he should play. This should be the goal no.1 for this coaching staff if we draft a QB high - making him ready to play day 1. This doesn't mean I expect them to be great and it doesn't mean I don't expect them to have rookie mistakes, but if the guy can manage the offense and run it without major hiccups I want him in ASAP. 

I think Herbert is probably going to be more likely to be ready sooner, but I'm not completely closing the door to Love being ready. Keep in mind that Reich was part of the coaching staff that made another small school prospect in Wentz ready to play from day 1 and forced their highly paid ex-starter to ask for a trade.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

The reason people like Gordon is simple. First the fanbase has never had to guess at QB. Our last two long term QB’s were 1st overall picks and consensus top QBs. So since we aren’t in position to draft that guy, no one wants to take a QB in the first.

Add on top of that the fact that most people don’t scout, they just look at box scores to evaluate. So Love in his final season had a mediocre stat line while Gordon had a superb one. So fobs lot of fans that makes him more of a sure thing.

Add that all up and what the fanbase wants is a 2nd round or later QB with who is low risk but super high reward. That QB doesn’t exist but people have manufactured that QB and his name is Anthony Gordon. Gordon is the manifestation of a fanbase who was spoiled with 2 decades worth of elite QB play from blue chip prospects, but is now suddenly in the position that others teams have been in where they have to “find” their QB of the future. That uncertainty frightens people more than they care to admit so this is why people want to take the passive approach.

It’s easy to laugh at the Paxton Lynch, Blake Bortles, and Blaine Gabbert’s of the world when your franchise never has to be in that position. Now the shoe is on the other foot. But people would rather try an shoot the wings off a flea and find the next Dak Prescott in the later rounds than throw some darts at the dart board and find the next DeShaun Watson or Patrick Mahomes.

I like Gordon and don't love Love so am probably one of the people you're talking about here. I think you make a very good point about the lens we are perceiving these QBs through though.

2 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

I think Oakland will probably get a WR at 12. Panthers I think are going to go defense until the new coach and see what he has in his three QB. CIN, Miami. LAC for sure.

I would not be shocked if the Raiders move ahead of the Dolphins for a QB, by trading with the Giants. That would cause an avalanche of trades, if that happens. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

How many QBs are going to be drafted in the top 13?  CIN, MIA, LAC, OAK?  New HC at CAR?

CIN- Burrow

MIA- Tua

LAC- Herbert

I just don't see OAK dropping Carr and I think CAR continues with Cam for 1 more year.

So i believe that would have us available, if we want to, to take JLove

Just now, chad72 said:

I would not be shocked if the Raiders move ahead of the Dolphins for a QB, by trading with the Giants. 

That would throw the top half of the draft way off of what's predicted. Would be very entertaining....Wonder if there will be a run on QBs early...could push one of the top 2 D Linemen(Brown/Kinlaw) to the Colts. 

Just now, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

Agreed.  But it would be nice to hear one them (depending on who you like, Love, Gordon, Herbert or Hurts) say that they are planning to meet with the Colts. lol

Don’t be shocked if the colts stay away from the guy they want. Just to keep it totally a secret. There are lots of ways to get the info they need.

5 minutes ago, PeterBowman said:

That would throw the top half of the draft way off of what's predicted. Would be very entertaining....Wonder if there will be a run on QBs early...could push one of the top 2 D Linemen(Brown/Kinlaw) to the Colts. 

This is exactly what I think will happen, the run on QBs, and I hope, dearly hope, Ballard pulls the trigger on a DL if that happens.

If Burrow, Love and Herbert are gone, and Tua is there at No.12, I frankly do not think Ballard goes QB then.

3 minutes ago, BleedBlue4Shoe86 said:

CIN- Burrow

MIA- Tua

LAC- Herbert

I just don't see OAK dropping Carr and I think CAR continues with Cam for 1 more year.

So i believe that would have us available, if we want to, to take JLove

I agree with Chloe.  I think CAR will try out their other-than-Cam QBs.  Cam is gone, IMO.

It would be dumb for OAK to dump Carr for a new QB.  Which is why I give it a 50/50 chance.....

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, chad72 said:

My prediction is Raiders are gonna be Raiders and gift the Dolphins another first rounder to move up and grab Tua. 

EDIT: Actually, scratch that. Raiders may actually jump ahead of Miami to trade with the Giants for a QB, triggering a tsunami of trades, IMO,

This would be great really.   I'm hoping they do it early like we did with Jets.  Then we could get Carr early and go from there. 

• Like 1