Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

20 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Here is what I think actually happened. He made some incredible throws but also had some accuracy issues. Both can be true.

It seems like his detractors exaggerated the missed throws to say he was wildly inaccurate. It also seems like his supporters overhyped his day to make it seem like it was nearly flawless.

Like you said, the truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

• Like 5

17 hours ago, DougDew said:

Actually, I think he moved up to take Ugoh, BEFORE Glenn announced his retirement.  Don't know if Polian was told privately or not.  The way it went down, I thought that Glenn saw Bill pick his replacement, so Glenn got po, ed and decided to just retire one year early. ( I think his contract had one year left)

I know for a fact that is not what happened at all. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

But if you have Kinlaw you are not down by 14. See how easy that was!

Perhaps. But even the best teams get behind at some point. Just ask the Patriots. If you don’t have a QB to bring you back into the game you can’t win consistently.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I know for a fact that is not what happened at all. 

Maybe he wasn't po'ed, but Polian drafted Glenn's replacement before Glenn realized he no longer wanted to play.  I mentioned there might have been a conversation earlier though.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80037221/article/colts-left-tackle-tarik-glenn-to-retire

10 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Maybe he wasn't po'ed, but Polian drafted Glenn's replacement before Glenn realized he no longer wanted to play.  I mentioned there might have been a conversation earlier though.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d80037221/article/colts-left-tackle-tarik-glenn-to-retire

Yes, he did.  Glenn was getting towards the end of his career and had been struggling with his weight for a couple of seasons prior (the year prior to his retirement Glenn missed a good portion of training camp because the Colts would not let him practice until he got down to the team mandated weight.  But Ugoh was drafted with the idea he would sit for a year maybe two and learn from Glenn.  As training camp approached, Glenn was once again told he needed to lose a significant amount of weight and he didn't have it in him anymore to go through that so he retired.  It had nothing to do with be "po'ed" because Polian drafted his replacement.

• Like 4

Some of the reports are funny.  One person called Shea Patterson a day 1 winner, another report says he is not draftable (even though I'm a Michigan fan, I agree, he is not an NFL QB).  Some say Love had a great day, some say he has some issues.

The only article I've read that really makes any sense warns people not to overreact to day 1 and yet knows people will over react to day 1.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, stitches said:

I'm almost certain Reich was watching the QBs. They will have tapes of everything... the HC and OC and playcaller of a QB needy team should absolutely use every chance he gets to watch one of the top QBs in the draft.

Reich being an offensive style coach, being a former quarterback and being the coach that is going to have to develop the QB would probably have IMO the most important say in who we should go after.  

Honestly he's the guy I trust in this whole thing.  If he says he can make Love a franchise player, I believe him.  If he doesn't think he can or doesn't want to work with him for some reason we'll find someone else.

Guy helped develop Carson Wentz and got Nike Foles ready to not only get the Eagles to the SB but also win a shootout with Brady.  He's the right man for the job.  

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Some of the reports are funny.  One person called Shea Patterson a day 1 winner, another report says he is not draftable (even though I'm a Michigan fan, I agree, he is not an NFL QB).  Some say Love had a great day, some say he has some issues.

The only article I've read that really makes any sense warns people not to overreact to day 1 and yet knows people will over react to day 1.

The source I am reading on Love basically said he was inconsistent.  Had bad moments and good moments.  It did mention that the first day was always kind of sloppy because everyone is working with new teammates.  

7 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Reich being an offensive style coach, being a former quarterback and being the coach that is going to have to develop the QB would probably have IMO the most important say in who we should go after.  

Honestly he's the guy I trust in this whole thing.  If he says he can make Love a franchise player, I believe him.  If he doesn't think he can or doesn't want to work with him for some reason we'll find someone else.

Guy helped develop Carson Wentz and got Nike Foles ready to not only get the Eagles to the SB but also win a shootout with Brady.  He's the right man for the job.  

Yep, I love Love's high end traits and upside, but there is just way too much in addition to that that goes into a QBs development into a great player. A lot of it will be on Reich and the rest of our staff to figure out not only who has the talent(a lot of players do have talent) but also who has the mental make up and drive to work hard for their own improvement. 

That's why I've been saying that even though, Love is my favorite I will defer to Ballard and Reich about the choice of QB and will support them in whatever choice they make. (except if they still harbor hopes for Brissett to be the guy - IMO that ship has sailed and hoping for him to turn into a franchise QB is futile and just wastes time that we can use in developing a new guy)

• Like 1

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

FYI Walterfootball says the Colts met with Larrell Murchison - DT NC State at the hotel.  Apparently this player took several meetings at the hotel. 

Where is he projected to go? 

I dont expect any meetings with love or Herbert. They will find other ways to get info. No need to let it be known they want him. 

6 minutes ago, stitches said:

Yep, I love Love's high end traits and upside, but there is just way too much in addition to that that goes into a QBs development into a great player. A lot of it will be on Reich and the rest of our staff to figure out not only who has the talent(a lot of players do have talent) but also who has the mental make up and drive to work hard for their own improvement. 

That's why I've been saying that even though, Love is my favorite I will defer to Ballard and Reich about the choice of QB and will support them in whatever choice they make. (except if they still harbor hopes for Brissett to be the guy - IMO that ship has sailed and hoping for him to turn into a franchise QB is futile and just wastes time that we can use in developing a new guy)

I'm not too worried about them being attached to Brissett.  Ballard refused to name Brissett as his starter for even next year.  I think that's pretty telling that he's not seen as a long term solution.

4 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

Where is he projected to go? 

I dont expect any meetings with love or Herbert. They will find other ways to get info. No need to let it be known they want him. 

Same source has him rated as the #8 DT and projects him in rounds 3 to 5.  

1/11/20: Murchison totaled 48 tackles with seven sacks and two passes defended in 2019. Team sources say Murchison is spark-plug defensive tackle to rotate into the game for a 4-3 defense. He could be a contributor as a situational pass-rusher and may not have the size to be an every-down smaller defender, but they say he is a solid player who does disrupt. Murchison is said to be a good character individual as well. Evaluators believe if Murchison tests well, he could rise.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Chloe6124 said:

This might be a dumb question. When it comes to the game Saturday will all the QB get equal time? Or will we see Love and Herbert get the majority of the snaps.

I've never watched it but I'm pretty sure they try to get everyone equal time.  The point of the game is less about winning and more about giving players a chance to impress the scouts, especially in an environment which can help them figure out what kind of player you are outside of the individual team situation you had in college. 

So it can theoretically show if a player was helped a great deal by his teammates and/or his coach's scheme.  Could also as in Love's case show if he was burdened by his teammates and/or scheme.

Also is useful when you have spread style players to see how they could perform in a pro-style offense.  

• Like 2

I think the accuracy issues you're seeing are apart of the practice. The south team practiced a lot of comebacks, slants and shorter routes. The north practiced a ton of deep balls. A slant is a lot easier to throw regardless of who is running it vs a go route where you may have 1 guy run a 4.3 and the next guy run a 4.7. Based off what was show from the NFL network that is absolutely a non issue for me. If he's missing guys short i'll be way more concerned then throwing bombs to guys who he has no chemistry with.

• Like 2

I’m fine with Herbert or Love but something about Love just screams super star potential to me. I see Carson Wentz and 2016 Derrick Carr. I think he’s more athletic than both though. His ball placement is really special too.

Herbert has everything but I don’t know if he has that “It” factor. That thing that you can’t put your finger on but you can feel it with certain players.

https://www.pff.com/news/draft-2020-senior-bowl-day-1-practice-and-weigh-in-notes

2020 Senior Bowl Day 1 Practice and Weigh-In Notes

The first day of practices at the Senior Bowl kicks off with roughly two hours of watching shirtless attendees weigh in to log official measurements for height and weight. The day got better, to say the least.

OFFENSE

-K.J. Hill, a former Ohio State receiver that weighed in at 6-foot, 192 pounds with just 29-inch arms, blew the doors off the one-on-one drills at practice. He beat Wake Forest's Essang Bassey a handful of times and stood out as the most creative, efficient route-runner in Mobile.

-Former Saint John's offensive tackle Ben Bartch was a shock to many in the one-on-one drills. Weighing in at 6-foot-5, 308 pounds with 33-inch arms, Bartch is the only Division III player in attendance for the Senior Bowl, but he shined against Division I competition all day long. He logged strong reps in the one-on-ones against Alabama's Terrell Lewis and Florida edge defender Jabari Zuniga.

-Former USC standout wide receiver Michael Pittman Jr. performed well in the interview process and had a handful of impressive reps in the one-on-one drills. His torching of Bassey was easily his best play of the day.

-Denzel Mims didn't have any highlight-reel plays in the one-on-one drills, but he flashed explosiveness and strong hands throughout.

-Former Utah State quarterback Jordan Love didn't have a good showing to start his week in Mobile. He was very inconsistent from an accuracy standpoint and missed a handful of wide-open throws. Love's inconsistency shouldn't come as a surprise considering his tape and grading profile with the Aggies, but the fact that it continues to show up here at the Senior Bowl is not great for his draft stock.

-Former Clemson guard John Simpson fell victim to the terrors that are Javon Kinlaw and Marlon Davidson. To say he had a rough first day would be an understatement.

DEFENSE

-Javon Kinlaw had himself a day. The former JUCO product turned South Carolina standout weighed in at 6-foot-5, 315 pounds with 34-inch arms and 10-inch hands — all fantastic numbers for a pass-rushing defensive tackle at the next level. He also dropped some jaws in the interview process and torched Simpson and others in the one-on-one drills.

-Former Auburn defensive lineman Marlon Davidson also turned in a handful of strong reps in the one-on-one drills. He bulked up to 297 pounds and kicked inside to go against guards, and the results were spectacular. He should improve his draft stock with a full-time switch to interior defensive line and more reps like the ones he had on his first day throughout the week.

-Troy Pride Jr., a former outside cornerback for Notre Dame, couldn't have had a better first day at the Senior Bowl. He was a fantastic interview that is aware of where his game needs to get better to start the next level, and his reps in the one-on-one drills were special.  He was in SMU wideout James Proche‘s back pocket for the entire practice and even logged a pass breakup on a slant from Pittman.

-Former UCLA cornerback Darnay Holmes played a majority of outside cornerback for the Bruins but will likely kick inside at the next level after weighing in at 5-foot-10, 192 pounds. He's a high-energy, vocal kid with great confidence and competitiveness. His aggressive approach to the cornerback position led to positive results in the one-on-one drills.

TOP PERFORMER

Troy Pride Jr. and K.J. Hill each had an impressive day to start the week of practices here in Mobile, but I'd be foolish if I didn' say Javon Kinlaw was the top performer. He could not participate in drills for the rest of the week and skip the game at this point. He's proved he's in a tier above this crop of prospects.

BOTTOM PERFORMER

It's just one day and a small sample size of reps, but Wake Forest cornerback Essang Bassey needs to bounceback after Day 1. Weighing in at just 5-foot-9, 191 pounds, he will be limited to a slot cornerback role in a zone-heavy defense in the NFL, but he can't afford to get torched in man coverage like he did on Day 1 if he's going to prove add value in other roles.

Here is the review on the QBs from Kyle Crabbs from the Draft Network:

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2020-senior-bowl-offense-north-practice-day-one-recap

QUARTERBACKS

Best player: Jordan Love, Utah State

Let's be quite clear: I don't think Love had as good of a day as what we saw from Oregon’s Justin Herbert during the early practice for the South team. Herbert came out and laced the ball all over the field with ease. Love also illustrated ample arm talent, whipping the ball through the blustery conditions to ensure his passes arrived without influence from the wind. But Love struggled to find himself on the same page as his wide receivers for the majority of practice — an understandable issue considering he's never thrown to this group before.

Love will need to be better Wednesday and find more timing with his passes down the field to make sure he's at least putting them on the body of his targets. If he does, he'll be just fine. Love wasn't bad; he flashed his obvious ceiling on numerous occasions but he wasn't great either.

Flash reps: Anthony Gordon, Washington State

Anthony Gordon's footwork was problematic. He clearly struggled when asked to turn his back to the defense and collect himself before throwing. The end result? Many of his passes seemed to suffer from a dip in velocity. Gordon is a raw prospect, that's no surprise. But seeing just how much his arm was hurt by his lower half being out of sync was an eye-opener. 

He's still a natural thrower and has enough athleticism to stay excited about his potential as a developmental quarterback on Day 3 of the draft. Gordon will really boost his perception if he's able to show improvement with his drops and footwork throughout the rest of the week.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/2020-senior-bowl-day-one-south-practice-offense-recap

QUARTERBACKS

Best player: Justin Herbert, Oregon

When projected first-round players commit to the Senior Bowl, it’s always interesting to see if they stand out during the three days of practice. Last year, we saw multiple first-round prospects along the offensive line, but it was Montez Sweat who stole the show and eventually wound up as the 26th-overall pick by the Washington Redskins.

Justin Herbert is in similar position as he entered Mobile as arguably the highest-ranked prospect at the event. During the first day of practice, he showed exactly why so many are excited about his future regardless of the mixed opinions surrounding his draft stock. Despite it being a windy afternoon at Ladd-Peebles Stadium, his velocity and accuracy never wavered.

Flash reps 

Herbert’s best throw of the day came during the 7-on-7 portion of the practice where there were lots of concepts and patterns installed during the first session. After taking a smooth three-step drop, he fired a beautiful vertical throw down the sideline to Austin Mack just past the outstretched arms of A.J. Green.

The former Ohio State receiver never had to break his stride and the ball lofted and landed perfectly into his arms. That throw, along with many, were just a few of the impressive tosses that the former Oregon leader threw Tuesday.

3 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Yes, he did.  Glenn was getting towards the end of his career and had been struggling with his weight for a couple of seasons prior (the year prior to his retirement Glenn missed a good portion of training camp because the Colts would not let him practice until he got down to the team mandated weight.  But Ugoh was drafted with the idea he would sit for a year maybe two and learn from Glenn.  As training camp approached, Glenn was once again told he needed to lose a significant amount of weight and he didn't have it in him anymore to go through that so he retired.  It had nothing to do with be "po'ed" because Polian drafted his replacement.

Yes he did what? 

read the quotes

Chad72 said

Polian did give up a 1st rounder for Tony Ugoh, who he thought was a 1st round rated LT, in a trade with the 49ers. That happened due to the sudden retirement of Tarik Glenn after our SB win. At least that happened before the draft, unlike the Andrew Luck retirement

Then I said

Actually, I think he moved up to take Ugoh, BEFORE Glenn announced his retirement.  Don't know if Polian was told privately or not.  The way it went down, I thought that Glenn saw Bill pick his replacement, so Glenn got po, ed and decided to just retire one year early. ( I think his contract had one year left)

I said later that he might not have been po'ed, (but I thought the terms were not totally friendly)

but when your boss tells you to lose weight and then drafts your replacement before you DECIDED to retire (in May, after the draft, as the article says)  that pretty much means he was partly pushed out the door.  Especially, as the article says, nobody tried to convince him to stay.

my comment wasn't exactly accurate (but you like to try to pounce on my inaccuracies anyway) but that's a far cry from saying that Polian drafted Ugoh after Glenn told him he was going to retire.  

I mentioned it as an aside, and you choose to pick a fight over it.   

The point was that Polian was preparing to move on from Glenn, but it was more Polian having the insight to prepare for it than it was Glenn telling him.  Ballard was not prepared to move on from Luck.  I think that was Chad's point.

22 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Yes he did what? 

read the quotes

Chad72 said

Polian did give up a 1st rounder for Tony Ugoh, who he thought was a 1st round rated LT, in a trade with the 49ers. That happened due to the sudden retirement of Tarik Glenn after our SB win. At least that happened before the draft, unlike the Andrew Luck retirement

Then I said

I said later that he might not have been po'ed, (but I thought the terms were not totally friendly)

Oh brother, as stated in the quote you, at first, claimed Glenn retired because he was upset that Polian drafted his replacement.  To which I replied that was not the case.  Then you changed it and said maybe he wasn't upset and all I did was tell you why he retired.

but when your boss tells you to lose weight and then drafts your replacement before you DECIDED to retire (in May, after the draft, as the article says)  that pretty much means he was partly pushed out the door.  Especially, as the article says, nobody tried to convince him to stay.

A lot of people tried to convince him to stay, it was even mentioned in the article that Manning tried.

my comment wasn't exactly accurate (but you like to try to pounce on my inaccuracies anyway) but that's a far cry from saying that Polian drafted Ugoh after Glenn told him he was going to retire.  

Inaccuracies happen, what you do it lie and that is when I call you on it. 

I mentioned it as an aside, and you choose to pick a fight over it. 

If you say so, you are the only one picking a fight, all I did was comment that your assumption was not correct and then explained what happened.  You can boo hoo about that all you want